Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

CobiWann posted:

Why am I drawing a blank as to who that is?

Owner of the Braxiatel Collection mentioned in City of Death. He's voiced by Miles Richardson, and is the Doctor's brother fellow Timelord, and occasionally Bernice Summerfield's boss. He tends to pop up in the Benny audios, or Gallifrey boxsets where, for complicated timey-wimey and alternative dimension stuff - with a dose of mental corruption by the ghost of a timelord - he may or may not be playing the same character in slightly different ways with varying levels of deviousness.

Like, if the Master is the Doctor's Moriaty, Brax is Mycroft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I watched those trailers and it was worth it for "Scary Poppins."

But now you don't need to.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I didn’t really follow Bille Piper’s career between her time as Rose and Day of the Doctor, so when she appeared as the Moment/Bad Wolf i remember I was really blown away at how much she’d grown as an actress

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

misadventurous posted:

I didn�t really follow Bille Piper�s career between her time as Rose and Day of the Doctor, so when she appeared as the Moment/Bad Wolf i remember I was really blown away at how much she�d grown as an actress

If you really want to blow your mind, take a look at the career of Noel Clarke, aka Mickey Smith

He's a very different person from Thickey Mickey. Apparently, he'd never watched DW before the job and part of the reason he looked so baffled most of the time was because he was baffled most of the time.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

spog posted:

If you really want to blow your mind, take a look at the career of Noel Clarke, aka Mickey Smith

He's a very different person from Thickey Mickey. Apparently, he'd never watched DW before the job and part of the reason he looked so baffled most of the time was because he was baffled most of the time.

He also was under the impression the show was aimed primarily at children, which is why his season 1 performance is so over the top.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm seeing the apostrophe as � in some people's posts throughout the forum. Not everyone's posts, and haven't seen it on other sites. Is this Chrome being weird on my end, and if so anyone know how I fix it?

misadventurous posted:

I didn’t really follow Bille Piper’s career between her time as Rose and Day of the Doctor, so when she appeared as the Moment/Bad Wolf i remember I was really blown away at how much she’d grown as an actress

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It's happening for everyone, on every platform, and even on old posts. It's something on SA's end.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Licarn posted:

Moffat didn't know how to do characterisation without just having the characters look at the camera and say it repeatedly. One of the worst ones was Danny, who was a soldier.

Run You Clever Boy And Be A Doctor

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I'm still kinda sad I didn't get straight up Oswin-Oswald-as-a-Dalek as a companion

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Diabolik900 posted:

It's happening for everyone, on every platform, and even on old posts. It's something on SA's end.

You can negate it on iOS by holding down on the apostrophe and quote keys and using the first highlighted option instead.

'
"
It's a pain, but it works for now.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Hey! Tomorrow/today for the British marks five years since the Enemy of the World and most of the Web Planet was recovered!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Edward Mass posted:

Hey! Tomorrow/today for the British marks five years since the Enemy of the World and most of the Web Planet was recovered!

And zero years since Salamander has been trying to take over the world!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Tiggum posted:

I hope the alien not reacting to her identity at all is an indication that that's the way they're going. The Doctor being this legendary figure across time and space was super dumb and I hated it.
I loved it a lot, and eleven's run was wonderful, but we did it, and it's done and I'm done with it. They sort of dropped it when twelve showed up and if they get rid of it completely, that's perfectly fine with me. It was a story worth telling and it's been told.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

I really enjoyed this episode. Felt like a breathe of fresh air.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Wonder why it's taking them so long to announce the other 80-something episodes they definitely found at the same time.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Astroman posted:

And zero years since Salamander has been trying to take over the world!

Salamander would be better than the current government we have here in the Australasian Zone tbh

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Okay you Goons did it.
You talked about the audios so much that I have listened to every single audio starting an actual Doctor that is available on Spotify. It took me two months (in the car daily since I deliver pizza) and now that I'm out of them I've started on Jago and Lightfoot and I, Davros. Also Colin Baker is the best audio doctor, and Leela is the best audio Companion (2nd is Erimem). I both hate and love you guys (probably turning more to hate once I run out of Spotify and start paying for them.)
Thanks!

Now the point of this: I know I want to jump into more 6 and Charley, more non TV companions and Dark Eyes but which (6 especially) adventures would you suggest other than those? Later adventures obviously. Charley ends at Zagreus, Lucie at Human Resources, and Erimem at the one where her cat dies on Spotify so after that I'm open!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Stairs posted:

Okay you Goons did it.
You talked about the audios so much that I have listened to every single audio starting an actual Doctor that is available on Spotify. It took me two months

For a minute I missed the "on Spotify" and I was about to offer my condolences on being trapped in a time loop.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I rewatched the 50th anniversary ep. Its such a big deal that the Doctor has uncovered a living Gallifrey. And its set up like locating the planet will be the overarching quest of the next season. So like, what happened? Was that storyline just dropped super fast? Its sad because its the crescendo of the A plot resolution.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I wish Gallifrey had remained lost/locked away forever, though my opinion may be colored by my dislike for Hell Bent and the awful hybrid plotline.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Hahaha

https://twitter.com/Raphaelite_Girl/status/1049184923175849985

https://twitter.com/JAMALIGLE/status/1049767489423515648

Stairs posted:

Now the point of this: I know I want to jump into more 6 and Charley, more non TV companions and Dark Eyes but which (6 especially) adventures would you suggest other than those? Later adventures obviously. Charley ends at Zagreus, Lucie at Human Resources, and Erimem at the one where her cat dies on Spotify so after that I'm open!

Lucie's easy: for more of her you'll just want the other three series of the Eighth Doctor Adventures that follow on from what you've already heard

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Stairs posted:

Was there any Evelyn on Spotify? She and Colin Baker have fantastic chemistry, even if a lot of their stuff happened early in Big Finish when they were still figuring things out. The Marian Conspiracy is a pretty good story and introduces Evelyn.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

jivjov posted:

He also was under the impression the show was aimed primarily at children, which is why his season 1 performance is so over the top.

Boak directing most of his episodes probably didn't help

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

jng2058 posted:

So the big problem I had with Grace's death was that it was so clearly telegraphed by all the ads which show all three of the ongoing companions but didn't show her. As soon as she showed up with the other three I was like "Oh, she's gonna die to give everyone else motivation. How annoying." And sadly, I was proved right. I was hoping they'd go Rory's dad with her and have her be the one who stays home, but since she had the active personality and Graham the passive one, it became clear that she wasn't going to make it through, which undercut the emotion of the event for me.
Not paying attention to promotional material pays off again. Although I didn't like that development either at least I wasn't dreading it for the whole episode.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1049947935423823872

Big Fin have confirmed that leaked Ten/Donna/Wilf/lovely Mum set

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I hope her mum gets pushed off a cliff onto some spikes.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
gruesomely murder Donna's mum, bring Jackie Tyler in without explanation because Jackie rules

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Box of Bunnies posted:

gruesomely murder Donna's mum, bring Jackie Tyler in without explanation because Jackie rules

I’m all for this. Jackie is a good parent, Donna’s mum is an vile abusive parent.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I realised the other day that I'd used my last credit before cancelling my Audible subscription on the first set of 10th Doctor Adventures and finally got around to listening to them. It made me realise that while I think i was ready for Tennant to go and I loved Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi (and Jodie Whittaker was great so far and I'm sure she'll continue to be great) that good god I miss Tennant in the role. I'm looking forward to him doing Big Finish and multi doctor stories forever.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

HAHA! These are hilarious.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I admit, having Ten and Donna (and Wilf!) experiencing new adventures makes me feel like Big Finish is giving Moffat the finger for what he did to Donna during Journey's End.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

CobiWann posted:

I admit, having Ten and Donna (and Wilf!) experiencing new adventures makes me feel like Big Finish is giving Moffat the finger for what he did to Donna during Journey's End.

That was RTD though. Several times, Moffat wrote scenes that seemed to be rebukes of that plot point.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Stabbatical posted:

That was RTD though. Several times, Moffat wrote scenes that seemed to be rebukes of that plot point.

Scenes? The entirety of Hell Bent is a rebuke of that plot point.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

spog posted:

I watched his sci-fi movie The Anomaly last week. The big evil plan is revealed to be a virus that causes people to grow a basal ganglia.

Y'know, that part of the brain everybody already has.

It's impressively dreadful. 0% on RT!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

FreezingInferno posted:

Scenes? The entirety of Hell Bent is a rebuke of that plot point.

I'm glad the doctor will risk the universe to save Clara and not his wife or in-laws, what a cool guy

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

I'm glad the doctor will risk the universe to save Clara and not his wife or in-laws, what a cool guy

So what you're saying is that the thing that the episode explicitly presented as being hosed up is in fact hosed up?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Stabbatical posted:

When I was rewatched season 4 it was shocking just how much RTD seemed to hate Donna, she got poo poo on more than any companion I can think of off the top of my head.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

howe_sam posted:

When I was rewatched season 4 it was shocking just how much RTD seemed to hate Donna, she got poo poo on more than any companion I can think of off the top of my head.

I don't think he hated her, he wouldn't have stuck that line in Last of the Time Lords about her being his best mate if he hated her.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Donna is probably going to end up being my all time favorite companion. She's just the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

docbeard posted:

So what you're saying is that the thing that the episode explicitly presented as being hosed up is in fact hosed up?

Yeah or he should do that poo poo more often, whichever

Mostly I'm just mad they took away Donna's memories, that's the most hosed up