Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dias posted:

Heavens Arena is good, it's just that it suffers from Jojo Part 2 Syndrome where stuff that comes afterwards is more creative or better written so a lot of people downplay it. Also some anime fans break out in hives when they see a tournament arc come up. Isn't there some sort of topical cream for that?

Jojo part 2 is way better written than part 3 though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Andrast posted:

This. I love Battle Tendency. I skipped most of stardust crusaders

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

The part in HxH where they go into the videogame world was by far the worst part imo, but also the Chimera Ant arc really loving dragged way too long even with all the good moments in had in the end. I'm strangely excited for Pat to back down hard and possibly start to really like the show tho. It's a really fun ride overall and the anime pretty much ends at the perfect stopping point, even with the manga continuing past that.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Andrast posted:

:agreed:

3 has some really fun set piece fights and DIO and everything, but it also really drags a few times and hits 'villain of the week' stuff a lot harder than most other parts, at least it sure feels that way.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Where were all of you when SDC was airing and people were talking poo poo about Joseph?

I mean, that was my point exactly because of that reaction, hehe.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dias posted:

Where were all of you when SDC was airing and people were talking poo poo about Joseph?

I mean, that was my point exactly because of that reaction, hehe.

I haven't watched it yet

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

theCalamity posted:

I don’t get the hate on the Heavens Arena arc. It provides the foundation for nen and it has the awesome Hisoka fights

Well, take it with a grain of salt, because the only place I see anyone's opinions on poo poo are here but yeah, the tournament arc, the Chimera ant arc, the Greed Island, loved all of it, had no problems with any of that stuff.

Dias posted:

Heavens Arena is good, it's just that it suffers from Jojo Part 2 Syndrome where stuff that comes afterwards is more creative or better written so a lot of people downplay it. Also some anime fans break out in hives when they see a tournament arc come up. Isn't there some sort of topical cream for that?

Also a problem I had was that I wasn't watching anything that I had to find on my own before it came along anyway. So whatever Toonami had on and then I'd go from there if I liked it or not. Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist, Dragon Ball Z, Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, etc.And also Avatar the Last Airbender. So basically all this stuff was still new and isekai stories weren't 1:14 of most mangas and I was a nerd anyway so game world rules seemed neat to me.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Worst thing about the podcast is Pat showing he doesn't know about how sick Donkey Kong '94 is.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Woolie deserves to lose the debate for not even mentioning Mario's Picross.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

He did, but said he didn't care about it.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Phantasium posted:

Worst thing about the podcast is Pat showing he doesn't know about how sick Donkey Kong '94 is.
I wouldn't either I was born that year. :holy:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Is there a timestamp on that GB discussion? I'm about an hour into the podcast and i'd like to know when to expect yelling.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I have no timestamp but I feel like that was a good podcast so you should listen to the whole thing.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I had to pause the podcast and write up and ICP corrections email (I'm sure it will never be read)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

God dammit, I can't believe they talked around any of the supposedly awful things that Carol Danvers and Black Panther did.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Phantasium posted:

I have no timestamp but I feel like that was a good podcast so you should listen to the whole thing.

Oh I will, I always listen to the podcasts in full (and it is a pretty good one so far this week) while I do chores or commute, I just want to have an estimate for when I can expect this fight.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's the final segment before emails. So like around the 3 hour mark.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Tae posted:

It's the final segment before emails. So like around the 3 hour mark.

Thanks!

Guess I'll hear 'em Thursday or Friday.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Liam/Woolie Nier Automata LP is killing me. Please just look at the map. Please. The map. You want sidequest locations and they're on the map and it says if you've done them or if they're available now THE MAP WOOLIE THE MAP

edit: I can't believe Liam has usurped Pat as the Guy Who's Wrong About All Of The Mechanics and Lore

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I don't think he can see the dots on his setup, there was the one Liam pointed out to him in the last video where he had the cursor literally on top of one and didn't see it at first.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Looking forward to Pat saying hxh is the greatest shonen of all time in a month. I love that his major complaint is that the show doesn't explain how powers work and the very next arc is an exhaustive explanation of how nen works for the next 100 episodes

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
I want someone to give him an out of context glimpse of the Nen beasts either the multiple titty one or that scary looking horse beast with the face of a woman

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

If I twist my brain hard enough, I think I can understand where Pat's coming from on this gameboy stuff, but boy, does he seem like a crazed person. His reasoning of the lineup being pretty much just "mario, pokemon and zelda" feels like it could just as well be applied to the NES. (Which doesn't even have pokemon!)

I feel like I view the NES almost like Pat's viewing the Gameboy. I just can't bring myself to care about the lineup. It pales in comparison to it's successor, if not more so then the GB compared to the GBC.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Metroid 2 was wayyyy better than original metroid

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Your Parents posted:

Looking forward to Pat saying hxh is the greatest shonen of all time in a month. I love that his major complaint is that the show doesn't explain how powers work and the very next arc is an exhaustive explanation of how nen works for the next 100 episodes

Not even powers just why are people in the anime so strong right off the bat.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Metroid 2 was wayyyy better than original metroid

it's still nearly unplayable by modern standards, its main innovation was being less metroidy to fit the poo poo console it was tied to

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

RareAcumen posted:

That's part of the powers explanation.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Pat was harping on woolie saying there's a lot of good gameboy games. He stretched like 10 at most.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Basically some people have the ability to manipulate their life energy to produce a variety of effects. Many people who have these powers don't know any details about them and/or haven't been trained in them correctly because the illuminati suppresses that information and filters those people out of society and into their ranks through the hunter exam.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Your Parents posted:

Basically some people have the ability to manipulate their life energy to produce a variety of effects. Many people who have these powers don't know any details about them and/or haven't been trained in them correctly because the illuminati suppresses that information and filters those people out of society and into their ranks through the hunter exam.

I don't remember Nen being the answer for why everyone's doing 50 KM run easily or why Gon's so freakishly strong but that kinda stuff in animes has never bothered me personally.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Situps, pushups, and a whole lot of juice.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rhonne posted:

Situps, pushups, and a whole lot of juice.

I also like Paranatural.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Tae posted:

Pat was harping on woolie saying there's a lot of good gameboy games. He stretched like 10 at most.

Name me 10 good NES games, you can only say Mario once.

poo poo like Excitebike doens't count. I refuse to believe anyone finds that stuff fun for more then 5 minutes. :colbert:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Oxyclean posted:

poo poo like Excitebike doens't count. I refuse to believe anyone finds that stuff fun for more then 5 minutes. :colbert:

Super Mario Bros. 3
Punch-Out
River City Ransom
Super Dodge Ball
Base Wars
Mega Man 2
Mega Man 3
Blades of Steel
Super C
Tetris (Tengen version preferably)
RC Pro-Am II
Metroid
StarTropics
Ultimate Air Combat
Captain Skyhawk
Gradius

There, there's 17, 16 if you don't count two Mega Man games being listed. Also one thing you have to keep in mind is that games weren't huge 30 hour epics typically back in those days, most were arcade ports so a game being fun for 5 minutes at a time was perfectly fine. So yes, Excitebike also counts, though Excitebike (at least in the west) also had the problem of having a track editor you couldn't save to because it relied on the Famicom Disk System that didn't exist anywhere but Japan.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 10, 2018

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Oxyclean posted:

Bubble Bobble
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3
Contra
Metriod
Double Dragon
Tecmo Super Bowl
Legend of Zelda
Duck hunt
Paper Boy
Burger Time

NES owned

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Oxyclean posted:

Mario Bros. 3
Contra
Duck Tales
The legend of Zelda
TMNT II: The Arcade Game
Life Force
Blades of Steel
Megaman 2
Kirby's Adventure
Double Dragon

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

theres literally hundreds of enjoyable nes games

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Oh good, list wars

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiZQabdR950

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

theres literally hundreds of enjoyable nes games

I want to be a Pat here and say gently caress the NES and start making excuses for why a bunch of these games are lame and don't count but I'll just take the L.

I just wasn't too hot on the NES Mini and most of Nintnedo's typical NES 1st party offerings.