Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
There is a huge, really good quest chain that starts in Loeglond. If the (honestly not very good) quests in Felegoth are getting boring don't worry about bugging out early, heading to Loeglond, and wrapping them up later; the rest of the zone is much much better.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=7861594#post7861594

Patch incoming, nothing huge just some fixes/buffs for wardens, various bug fixes and a new attempt at reducing goldspam

Still not sure when Update 23 is coming but I'd guess in a month, looks very unlikely that beornings will be fixed in time but other than that I'm excited.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

jalapeno_dude posted:

There is a huge, really good quest chain that starts in Loeglond. If the (honestly not very good) quests in Felegoth are getting boring don't worry about bugging out early, heading to Loeglond, and wrapping them up later; the rest of the zone is much much better.

I'm about done with Northern Mirkwood - just the dwarf area left, and that huge one that goes throughout several areas (that requires you to finish stuff along the way to progress).

It has been a pretty interesting area. All of it looks awesome. Really great landscape detail and design IMO.

The questing is really different, being more chain based instead of hub -> kill everything around you -> next hub style.

The elf quests had good parts, but had that lovely "run way far out, come back to talk to elf leader to get next quest to go right back out into the middle of nowhere, repeat 500 times". It's like they got nostalgic for the epic where you have to keep going back just to talk to Elrond. The rest of the quests though so far have been good, without anything that annoying.

I know Grey Mountains are coming out pretty soon now. Trying to decide if I want to keep playing once I finish quests, do some of the rep grinds in Mordor and Northern Mirkwood. NM dailies would get some better gear for when Grey Mountains hit. Mordor dailies would get me some better essences and let me finish all the quest lines from the allegiance system. Plus, ya know, filling up bars.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFBxKFuPBKg

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

"We may not end up seeing this game until 2025" ?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Summary for those of us who can't stand that guy's voice?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
I've been keeping the lootbox keys that drop from deeds. My friends and I are level 50 and will start getting elf steel bound lootboxes soon. Is it a good idea to use the keys on level 50 boxes, or should I keep saving them?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

bandaid.friend posted:

I've been keeping the lootbox keys that drop from deeds. My friends and I are level 50 and will start getting elf steel bound lootboxes soon. Is it a good idea to use the keys on level 50 boxes, or should I keep saving them?

Those lootboxes are all out dated but do contain some gear to help level more easily, some cosmetics, and rarely the pick-a-mount box. If you're sure you're want to keep them, use them now.

Unless you love the idea of a one percent chance for a rare cosmetic mount, I'd just sell the keys personally. Mathom armor is more than enough to pad your gear while leveling up. And feel free to post your names/classes if you want me to check if I've got some spare level 50 gear to mail you. I can NPC barter for some level 50 legendary items as well.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

quote:

I can NPC barter for some level 50 legendary items as well.

I may misremember, or maybe they changed it, but I thought the lowest you could barter was level 53?

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

extra stout posted:

Those lootboxes are all out dated but do contain some gear to help level more easily, some cosmetics, and rarely the pick-a-mount box. If you're sure you're want to keep them, use them now.

Unless you love the idea of a one percent chance for a rare cosmetic mount, I'd just sell the keys personally. Mathom armor is more than enough to pad your gear while leveling up. And feel free to post your names/classes if you want me to check if I've got some spare level 50 gear to mail you. I can NPC barter for some level 50 legendary items as well.

Yeah thanks I'll start using them all up then. I'm on a different server to goons but thanks for the offer. We've been keeping our crafting up so we're doing okay for gear

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Last day of the pirate event. Short, fun quest with some special cosmetics. I always like a good eye-patch.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

https://massivelyop.com/2018/09/18/theres-a-new-class-coming-to-lord-of-the-rings-online-but-what-will-it-be/

Wonder what class they could be adding.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
If they add a new class before they fix Beornings...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

quote:

Please be advised that your card ‎SNIP expires on May 1, 2013.
To link a new card for automatic renewal of subscription Founder Lifetime VIP in project The Lord of the Rings Online ™, click here.
Otherwise, your subscription will be cancelled on January 1, 2038.

Alright cool I'll get right on that in a couple of years.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Aphrodite posted:

Alright cool I'll get right on that in a couple of years.

"An erroneous email message was sent by our LOTRO Store receipt system to Lifetime VIP members in the past 24 hours as of September 20th, 2018 with the title "Subscription Notification". Your Lifetime VIP status has not been changed, and no action on your part is necessary. We thank you for your support! "

Don't worry, you're all paid for for ten years after the game dies, not just five or six.

Ossipago posted:

If they add a new class before they fix Beornings...

Agreed, luckily Cordovan also updated us on this and confirmed he's just an rear end talking about next years ideas out loud while they finish up U23, and there's no current guarantee or even name or idea for a new class yet. New stuff is fun, but leaving half the classes unbalanced as an almost intentional way to sell a new overpowered and more exciting class would have been a bad move.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Btw, I've been gone for a long time. Did they ever fix Guardians after they broke red line a couple years ago?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Brave New World posted:

Btw, I've been gone for a long time. Did they ever fix Guardians after they broke red line a couple years ago?

They reworked it, I don't play one but I think people are more or less happy with them now, more being most people and then the raiders complaining about everything

It's a bonus weekend, +25% skirmish marks, good idea to save some and buy rep accels before U23 comes out...uh next week (probably not next week but soon)

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I've been a huge LotR dork for about 20 years, I've not played this very much, but what is a good class/race starting out in the game? I've played all the major MMOs previously, WoW of course and FF14, GW 1 & 2. Any advice would be appreciated.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

There's the Roy I know and love.

Diabetic posted:

I've been a huge LotR dork for about 20 years, I've not played this very much, but what is a good class/race starting out in the game? I've played all the major MMOs previously, WoW of course and FF14, GW 1 & 2. Any advice would be appreciated.
Hunters of any race kill enemies quickly, are good at staying alive, and get access to fast travel skills that most classes do not. If you want something a bit more risky: Minstrels are also very good at dealing damage and are the best healers as well, and you can torture people by playing the bagpipes at them.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Diabetic posted:

I've always advised people to avoid Man as your first race. Archet/Bree is as boring as the human starter zone in any other MMO you've played. If you really, really, really need to experience JRR Tolkien's version of Elwynn Forest firsthand, then you only have yourself to blame when you find yourself bored to tears with logs, boars and all the usual human poo poo.

It's Tolkien. Roll a loving Hobbit, Elf or Dwarf.

Also, don't make the mistake of racing towards endgame. Its a long journey, and the raiding isn't as hardcore as WoW. They did a great job on raiding in the first few years, then they actually shot themselves in the foot by intentionally not making raids, but then they realized what a mistake that was and started making raids again. We'd need to hear from other goons as to how good/bad the raiding scene is currently. Regardless, it's not worth racing towards.

If you're not into reading quest text and smelling the roses, you'd probably be happier somewhere else. You'll find yourself collecting the same 27 Speckled Woodchuck Assholes that you'd collect in any other MMO, but here you have the chance to collect 27 Speckled Woodchuck Assholes for THE LADY GALADRIEL HERSELF. As far as masturbatory fan service goes, only Star Trek Online does anywhere near as good a job of porting an IP into an MMO, and even that doesn't hit the mark anywhere near as well as LotRO does.

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Brave New World posted:

I've always advised people to avoid Man as your first race. Archet/Bree is as boring as the human starter zone in any other MMO you've played. If you really, really, really need to experience JRR Tolkien's version of Elwynn Forest firsthand, then you only have yourself to blame when you find yourself bored to tears with logs, boars and all the usual human poo poo.

It's Tolkien. Roll a loving Hobbit, Elf or Dwarf.
If we're going to talk starting area, I will advise against rolling a regular-rear end elf. The prologue isn't that exciting, Ered Luin isn't that exciting. Be a hobbit because the Shire is the gold standard of starting areas.

Of course, once you finish the prologue, you're free to level in whatever starting area you please so long as you know how to make the trek.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

ArchWizard posted:

If we're going to talk starting area, I will advise against rolling a regular-rear end elf. The prologue isn't that exciting, Ered Luin isn't that exciting. Be a hobbit because the Shire is the gold standard of starting areas.

Of course, once you finish the prologue, you're free to level in whatever starting area you please so long as you know how to make the trek.

Just be aware that the Shire is fetch quest hell to a much much greater extent than the rest of the game. The fetch quests are very in character for the Shire and the quest writing is outstanding, but they are still awful fetch quests. If you're not having fun consider rolling a dwarf and starting in Ered Luin instead before deciding the game isn't for you.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
I wasn't trying to start a pissing match over who likes what starting area the most. I've witnessed a few people over the years say poo poo like "I made a man hunter and quit @ lvl 18 cause this game is just a generic wow clone". I'm terrified of people having that impression, because Breeland *is* incredibly generic compared to the other starting areas. I strongly agree that rolling a Hobbit is a great introduction.

Wait, what kind of monstrous philistine doesn't love Ered Luin?

ArchWizard
Mar 27, 2009

Brave New World posted:

I wasn't trying to start a pissing match over who likes what starting area the most. I've witnessed a few people over the years say poo poo like "I made a man hunter and quit @ lvl 18 cause this game is just a generic wow clone". I'm terrified of people having that impression, because Breeland *is* incredibly generic compared to the other starting areas. I strongly agree that rolling a Hobbit is a great introduction.

Wait, what kind of monstrous philistine doesn't love Ered Luin?
It's uninteresting outside of the elf and dwarf towns. The wilderness is just wilderness. The snow is just snow. The goblin camps are just goblin camps. The spider area sucks because of spiders. The graveyard area sucks because of slogging through wights. Sarnur's cool but it's not a low-level area.

Incidentally, I think the Shire is so good because it plays to a strength the game has had since day one: Very nice-looking towns. And the Shire zone is nearly all town!

ArchWizard fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 6, 2018

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
And I completely disagree with everything you just said. I think the Elven part is downright beautiful, and the northern area is perfectly Dwarven. That middle Goblin area is fun and challenging if you run it at an appropriately low level.

Next up: Angmar Vs Forochel - Boring arctic slog or Mordor North?

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Brave New World posted:

And I completely disagree with everything you just said. I think the Elven part is downright beautiful, and the northern area is perfectly Dwarven. That middle Goblin area is fun and challenging if you run it at an appropriately low level.

Next up: Angmar Vs Forochel - Boring arctic slog or Mordor North?

There's a whole camp in the goblin area with Elite mobs that I literally didn't know about until like 3 months ago!

I did Forochel once, and it was worth it, but can't imagine dragging alts through it. It's just...so...big.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

jalapeno_dude posted:

There's a whole camp in the goblin area with Elite mobs that I literally didn't know about until like 3 months ago!

I did Forochel once, and it was worth it, but can't imagine dragging alts through it. It's just...so...big.

I have very fond memories of Forochel. Drinking White Russians, running all over the place killing mobs with my buddies on Vent. The ambience is what sold me on that zone, though.

At the same time, I don’t think I could ever do it again, either.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Well I think I can clear a few things up. I played wow mainly for my love of the lore in game, I got two kids so I take my time going from area to area so no poop socking going on here. I would like to see the end game content but I am not "Hardcore" to get the best poo poo in game and demand the same of others. I like the random poo poo talk with goons and seeing cool poo poo maybe raiding when I can if at all.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Then you'll probably enjoy this game just fine. Just remember:

1) You don't have to spend a dime until at least 33-35.
2) Always ere on the side of concentrating on the epic quest line, at least until you reach Elrond's portion of it at 40+(it goes off the rails a bit).
3) The first real group dungeon experience would be the 3 Barrow Downs instances for 22-25. After that are the Garth Agarwin instances at 33-35.
4) If you do reach level 45, immediately begin the Moria epic, which will get you your first Legendary Weapon. There's a Prologue where you see off the Fellowship from Rivendell, and then go to a Dwarf in Eregion. Don't skip the prologue on your first toon.
5) Bookmark https://www.lotro-wiki.com.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

Thank you all. Based on the advice here, I made a hobbit hunter on the goon server. Seems pretty neat so far, I just had time to pick up my first bow, that's it. In as Diabectoc.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

I managed to find an old CD key for the full xpac of mines of moria, shadow of angmar, 500 coins, and thirty day sub. I unlocked the bears as well, so do I have that permanent now and am I set for a while game wise?

Diabetic fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 7, 2018

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Diabetic posted:

I managed to find an old CD key for the full xpac of mines of moria, shadow of angmar, 500 coins, and thirty day sub. I unlocked the bears as well, so do I have that permanent now and am I set for a while game wise?

Glad to hear those still work, for a few years stores had them for 3 dollars while that expansion was still like 30 in game. You mean you bought beornings with lotro points or how did you get those? If so yeah you can make them til you're out of character slots on every server you'd like to.

Also news update: U23 is here in 3 days, then we go to The Grey Mountains and do dwarf stuff.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

extra stout posted:

You mean you bought beornings with lotro points or how did you get those? If so yeah you can make them til you're out of character slots on every server you'd like to.

I logged in game and I had the ability to create the beornings. I didn't buy anything other than adding the key.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Diabetic posted:

I logged in game and I had the ability to create the beornings. I didn't buy anything other than adding the key.

The premium classes that came with Moria were warden and runekeeper, beorning didn't exist yet. So either you got a cool bug or beorning is now unlocked while you're VIP, not sure which. Either way you'll keep it if your VIP runs out, so that's great.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Since you have the 30 day sub, fill up your character slots, even if you don't think you'll use them for a long time, because if you log into a character during the sub period you get a few extra item slots and an unlocked gold cap, if you create them after the sub runs out you'll have to buy it later or re-sub

The Shire is great, it suits new Hobbits so well to have their main concerns be breakfasts or whether the mail will be delivered on time, they absolutely nailed the character. Really puts you in the mind of Bilbo, I reckon

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
They do a good job of ratcheting up the weight of the story, going from hobbit concerns to bigger and bigger dangers by zones, your character learning to take on gnarlier challenges as you go until you're staring down ancient evil incarnate. Almost feels like real character development.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?667354-Update-23-Release-Notes

Update 23: Where Dragons Dwell comes out tomorrow

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Wow, they're actually making a tiny change to Beornings.

Unrelated: STARTMINING code good for the near future to get a dwarf mining helmet for all your Moria ERP needs.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Yay 5 more levels to grind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

Sadly, the bassoon doesn't make any noise when I use minstrel powers. I understand lootboxes don't drop anymore, which is a pain as I have 14 steel keys remaining