Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
Remember Ask Jeeves? :member:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

anime was right posted:

google video was actually superior to youtube for a very significant chunk of time

until google bought youtube, in fact, lmao

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yes this is real no i'm not going to link to it

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

remember Google's failed social network attempt, G+?

I didn't think about it for years and years, but this past summer it kept trying to suggest pages for me through phone notifications-
all of them were for Harley-Davidson groups and that's the biggest algorithm misfire I've had

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

you're like st peter, at the gates of heaven telling us that no, our souls are wicked

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Ommin posted:

Remember Ask Jeeves? :member:

Remember Songza, the streaming music service with human-curated playlists that were far better than anything else at the time? It was cool when Google destroyed it by merging it into their lovely Google Play Music.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

google used to provide the only free web of knowledge product, but they shut it down so you have to pay $$$ to publishers now

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

google used to provide the only free web of knowledge product, but they shut it down so you have to pay $$$ to publishers now

google scholar still exists and is used a lot more than elsevier's equivalent scopus or are you talking about something else

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

google scholar still exists and is used a lot more than elsevier's equivalent scopus or are you talking about something else

Oh I know scholar still exists, it used to have an actual graph of citations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://store.steampowered.com/app/914130/ICE_AGENT/

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Fresh air was doing a bit about social media warfare and apparently Israelis can do their military service in the Division of the IDF that posts comments on YouTube and Twitter, probably posting about how great mowing down palestians is.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

The Nastier Nate posted:

Fresh air was doing a bit about social media warfare and apparently Israelis can do their military service in the Division of the IDF that posts comments on YouTube and Twitter, probably posting about how great mowing down palestians is.

This has been the case since 2009 and its absolutely precious.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I think Mossad or Hasbara even developed a brigading app for good zionists to mass harass anyone that criticizes Israel online.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
its called “the new york times “

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Corporal Nastier Nate of the 69th shitposters brigade reporting for duty SIR

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

"What if Papers Please was made by Infinity Ward"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

remember Google's failed social network attempt, G+?

after letting it coast for years, they found a bug that leaked users' personal info...and covered it up for fear of bad PR

they only just now revealed it now, because they're finally shutting G+ down and needed an excuse

remember how they got rid of + in search because google plus was gonna be so big that + would be the new #

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I think Mossad or Hasbara even developed a brigading app for good zionists to mass harass anyone that criticizes Israel online.

the old one was called megaphone but i think they have a new one out

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
"By way of deception, thou shalt do war"

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Taintrunner posted:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It occurred to me when I checked an email with the content "BOFA CORE CHECKING" that things could get even worse if the Bank of America started using its Twitter account like Wendy's does, because it'd be getting in on the "BOTH OF THESE NUTS" meme

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Developer/Publisher: Fat Agent

Checks out

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

System Metternich posted:

Developer/Publisher: Fat Agent

Checks out

Is it an office supply theft simulator

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Everyday I'm more and more tempted to be a shadowrunner

https://twitter.com/motherboard/status/1050108454092857346?s=19

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

The Electric State art book by Simon Stålenhag is out if you like your scifi dystopia with a lot of broken robots and suburban hellscapes.

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/bj43m5/exploring-the-uncanny-sci-fi-dystopias-of-simon-staalenhag

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bert Roberge posted:

The Electric State art book by Simon Stålenhag is out if you like your scifi dystopia with a lot of broken robots and suburban hellscapes.

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/bj43m5/exploring-the-uncanny-sci-fi-dystopias-of-simon-staalenhag

amazon bought the rights to the RPG based on his artwork and might make a series out of it. I hope its good but even if it's bad it'll be cool to see his work in live action

JuulPodSaveAmerica
Aug 29, 2012
https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/10/17914098/fortnite-climate-change-fight-scientists-global-warming-video-games

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

You laugh, but "kill everyone else before the eye of the climate change storm closes" is an idea that's at least worth consideration.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

im not sure if i hate or like the idea

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Gum posted:

the old one was called megaphone but i think they have a new one out

I had to go back and look this up because the advertising campaign for it is some poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxKrn8Aqa0A

edit: they didn't disable comments or ratings for this lmao

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 02:49 on Oct 11, 2018

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

https://twitter.com/AntiBDSApp/status/1027568916506107904

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

rear end cobra posted:

Early on I noticed my coworker "Diana" never seemed to post regular pictures of herself or her (then) infant "Marceline" on Facebook, always filtered or photoshopped. I never thought much of it because facebook can be just for casual fun for some people and not their primary photo storage/sharing space.

​It wasn't until about two years ago when I started occasionally babysitting for her that I realized it's EVERY photo of her daughter. Once when I took Marceline out on a playdate with my niece I sent Diana a quick pic that I thought was cute. Diana snapped at me (via text) not to send her photos of Marceline without using a list of "approved" beauty or snap filters (which she then texted me). I'm not proficient with all of that and found it weird so just avoided taking pics of her after that. I've also witnessed Diana berating her father for keeping unfiltered photographs of "Marceline" on his phone. She's also (on different occasions) tried to pass off clearly doctored pictures as "real" and gotten snippy with a coworker who asked if she had any unfiltered pics of Marceline. Diana's husband doesn't seem to care as far as I can tell. I haven't considered any of this my business tbh.

​As Marceline has gotten older and started mimicking her mother's interest in filters it's made me slightly more uncomfortable, but again, not my kid. But last weekend I witnessed Marceline yelling at an older girl for taking pictures of her while she played with that girl's sister. I ended up intervening and trying to calm her down. Marceline kept demanding to see the photos deleted and when I asked her why she said it was because she didn't want "ugly" pictures of her anywhere. I tried to reassure her she wasn't ugly but she kept insisting her eyes were too small and she didn't want to look like "that". I tried to explain that those filters were for "fun" and "make-believe" and not because she's ugly. Eventually she was frustrated with me and ran off to Diana who ended up requesting the other girl's mother delete the photos. Also, Marceline did use the word "ugly" when describing her problem to Diana who was completely unphased by it.

​I've never heard Diana use the word ugly about Marceline but I've heard her make disparaging remarks about her own appearance so Marceline is at least picking up on that and probably connecting it to her mother's photo editing. I don't think it's my business to interfere with parenting issues that aren't CPS worthy but I feel someone should be looking out for Marceline. Should I broach this with Diana? How? Should I try raising my concern with Diana's mother or sister first? I've seen both of them appear exasperated with Diana's fixation so I doubt that would help? Is there something I can say/do with Marceline when I'm babysitting to try and bolster her self-esteem regarding her appearance without making it seem like I'm trying to shame or undermine Diana?

​tl;dr: My coworker's very young daughter thinks she's too ugly to be photographed without filters or photoshop, I don't know what to say to her mother or do for her about it.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

smart kid. ahead of the curve.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
my wife does this because she doesnt realize its on its so weird seeing these filtered pictures of our little baby i yepl at her every time i see one

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Prav posted:

smart kid. ahead of the curve.

Gonna be weird when we all have real time reality filters in our eye implants.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

sigh

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I'm really excited to see technology and the internet messing today's kids up like 10x as badly as the millennials

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Polio's doing a comeback tour

https://twitter.com/NBCNightlyNews/status/1050219436718735361

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

it’s cool how the abject shittiness of American healthcare comes through in every single article, like how the family had to pay $10,000 out of pocket for the wheelchair that the kid never even got to use