Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
More DG content

SCENARIOS

A Taste For Skin - A kommando in the Boer War goes a bit too far to keep their families out of the camps

No Blood For Sex - An exclusive club hosts a literal sex goddess

NPCS

Major Sin Woo-Jin - A window into North Korea's Office 44

Matiás Rivera - Warden of La Estancia's leftovers

Anastacia Peabody - A med student who rented the wrong room at the wrong time

HOUSERULES

Character Template: Undercover Officer

Character Template: K9 Unit

Double Tapping - A simple rule to model the tradeoff between followup shots and "stopping power"

The Big Gun Down - Easy rules for Mexican Standoffs

THREATS

Blade in the Dark - The opposition sends a sacrificial lamb to bait the Agents into an overreaction

Federal Agent Counter-Investigation - The Hunters become the Hunted

Servitor of Azathoth - Talent Scout for the Blind Idiot God

All linked on My DG Page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I like the double-tapping rule.

I guess one could make the argument that if you have the skill and the ammo one should be double tapping at all times anyway (reminds me of autofire in XCOM).

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
It's true. The end result would make combat shorter, due to the increased chance to hit/damage output per-shooter per-turn.

On the other hand it would also double the amount of rolling for each attack action. Having played Eclipse Phase I'm biased enough against this outcome that I'm still against double tapping overall.

mellonbread fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 16, 2018

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Well, I guess I got it bad.

Over the past week, I spent countless hours reading DG fiction, looking at the Fairfield Project site, Mellonbread content, and listening to RPPR actual plays and Greenbox podcasts. I guess I must have lost a lot of SAN and finally hit my break point sometime early this morning. At which point I bought the PDF version of the handler's guide and agent's handbook. They are so cool that now I want the slipcover books too.

Thanks to all ITT who mentioned all of those resources. Thank you all to hell. Now, to find actual humans that will play this with me.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

mellonbread posted:

It's true. The end result would make combat shorter, due to the increased chance to hit/damage output per-shooter per-turn.

On the other hand it would also double the amount of rolling for each attack action. Having played Eclipse Phase I'm biased enough against this outcome that I'm still against double tapping overall.

You could riff off the old success rules of CoC, and make it so every 20 you roll beyond your target to-hit is an additional shot that hits. But you have to choose before that how many rounds to fire. This would encourage players to burn through their ammo faster too. Though it might mean you have to reduce damage per shot...

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

mellonbread posted:

My first instinct would be that firing several rounds in quick succession at a target is what the Lethality system is for, so a double tap should be treated like a Short Burst with a 10% Lethality rating and no kill radius.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Last weekend my team did a dungeon crawl through Y'ha-nthelei, pretty drat happy with how it all went down.

mellonbread posted:

More DG content

Wow, nice, lots of cool stuff.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

MrMojok posted:

Well, I guess I got it bad.

Over the past week, I spent countless hours reading DG fiction, looking at the Fairfield Project site, Mellonbread content, and listening to RPPR actual plays and Greenbox podcasts. I guess I must have lost a lot of SAN and finally hit my break point sometime early this morning. At which point I bought the PDF version of the handler's guide and agent's handbook. They are so cool that now I want the slipcover books too.

Thanks to all ITT who mentioned all of those resources. Thank you all to hell. Now, to find actual humans that will play this with me.

join us at the aNatO discord.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

e: never mind, I found it

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 18, 2018

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I read through Fall of DELTA GREEN the other day and the part about the Chicago Police Department's 11th District Station (where they torture suspects and occasionally sacrifice them to The Dweller in Darkness in the sub-basement) inspired me. Now I hope to write and playtest a scenario where the PCs are left-wing activists trying to find out what happened to their friend who disappeared after his arrest.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Pththya-lyi posted:

I read through Fall of DELTA GREEN the other day and the part about the Chicago Police Department's 11th District Station (where they torture suspects and occasionally sacrifice them to The Dweller in Darkness in the sub-basement) inspired me. Now I hope to write and playtest a scenario where the PCs are left-wing activists trying to find out what happened to their friend who disappeared after his arrest.

I like it. I suggest following the example of Red Tower and letting the players decide as a group what organization or movement their characters are a part of.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

What's a believable frequency for Operas? Is more than one a month too much?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kavak posted:

You mean for showings or you mean for different operas entirely?

A quick googling makes it look like operas usually run repeat showings for a few days, a couple weeks a month, and rotate different operas every couple months with some overlap, for a major place.

A smaller town might have less frequency. But that sounds perfectly sane to me.

E: Woosh apparently I totally misinterpreted :downs: Operas are a Thing in Delta Green huh

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 27, 2018

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kavak posted:

Even one a month is a lot but that would make for an interesting campaign where everything is just going to hell all at once.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Kavak posted:

Once a month seems like a lot, especially for the cowboys who don't have as much bureaucratic cover to be off their normie duties that much.

I'd say start quarterly or twice a year and if you want to do more frequent turn it into a plot point. Why are things picking up that much? Are other cells and agents getting put out of commission and leaving the PC Agents picking up slack? Is a higher up trying to get rid of them by running them ragged with no downtimr till they gently caress up? Or is the world just coming unmoored and there are legitimately that many fires to put out?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Owlbear Camus posted:

Once a month seems like a lot, especially for the cowboys who don't have as much bureaucratic cover to be off their normie duties that much.

I'd say start quarterly or twice a year and if you want to do more frequent turn it into a plot point. Why are things picking up that much? Are other cells and agents getting put out of commission and leaving the PC Agents picking up slack? Is a higher up trying to get rid of them by running them ragged with no downtimr till they gently caress up? Or is the world just coming unmoored and there are legitimately that many fires to put out?

This is a Program cell that exists as a "Task Force" on paper- they're effectively full-time Agents, or at least totally covered when called away from work.

I'll try think of good reasons for them to be out and about each month or more. I'm trying to keep the campaign timeline tight because it's tied to real events from last year, but that could change if a mission goes totally pear-shaped.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

It's funny because Kavak could also have legitimately looking for intel on real operas for his Delta Green game set in/around one.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Good Morning Vietnam - 1967 - Power armored soldiers search for an North Vietnamese radar outpost

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Bought the Delta Green Slipcase on Amazon, arrived with a nice big dent so deep the slipcase tore. Requested a replacement, and they sent it but also require me to send the old one back or they will charge me again. Annoying, since if they had packed it right I would not have to go to the trouble, but I didn't expect to get to keep such an expensive item either. However, I did expect them to cover the return costs, but apparently now they will only return up to 15 USD of shipping costs after they've received the item in return, even though it costs me over 20 to get it shipped here. Amazon has gotten worse, and this is not even through a third-party/reseller.

So, yeah, now they are basically blackmailing me for some small amount, with the threat that if I don't pay I will have to pay them more for the replacement they sent. gently caress me for trying to buy a game.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
For people who've run Last Things Last, how did your players handle Mrs. Janowitz? Because mine choked her out and killed her dog.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Down With People posted:

For people who've run Last Things Last, how did your players handle Mrs. Janowitz? Because mine choked her out and killed her dog.

lmao that's amazing. players were extremely on edge, the nurse and second fbi agent hid down the hallway ready to jump out. I had mrs janowitz be the stereotypical nosy over talkative neighbor. the face of the party said they was a property manager for the family, saying that with the circumstances they were looking to sell. she said some dogwhistle comments about finding the right neighbors, and with prompting finally took the dog out for a walk.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Down With People posted:

Okay, why did they kill the dog?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Biomute posted:

So, yeah, now they are basically blackmailing me for some small amount, with the threat that if I don't pay I will have to pay them more for the replacement they sent. gently caress me for trying to buy a game.

What a bunch of assholes. I bought one direct from the website and it came in perfect condition.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Kavak posted:

What a bunch of assholes. I bought one direct from the website and it came in perfect condition.

I would have done so, but the shipping to Europe was like 60 USD or something ridiculous like that.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Biomute posted:

Bought the Delta Green Slipcase on Amazon, arrived with a nice big dent so deep the slipcase tore. Requested a replacement, and they sent it but also require me to send the old one back or they will charge me again. Annoying, since if they had packed it right I would not have to go to the trouble, but I didn't expect to get to keep such an expensive item either. However, I did expect them to cover the return costs, but apparently now they will only return up to 15 USD of shipping costs after they've received the item in return, even though it costs me over 20 to get it shipped here. Amazon has gotten worse, and this is not even through a third-party/reseller.

Amazon's customer service is usually pretty good. Get on chat and be calm but state how unacceptable that is and see if they toss you 5 or 10 in credit.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

Okay, why did they kill the dog?

Failed their Persuasion rolls to convince her that one of them was Baughman's nephew and then that they were FBI (used the premades in Need To Know and no one took the actual FBI agent). She started calling the cops so they dragged her into the apartment and choked her out. The dog wouldn't stop barking. Tradecraft!

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Down With People posted:

Failed their Persuasion rolls to convince her that one of them was Baughman's nephew and then that they were FBI (used the premades in Need To Know and no one took the actual FBI agent). She started calling the cops so they dragged her into the apartment and choked her out. The dog wouldn't stop barking. Tradecraft!

Not saying you hosed up, but did you follow the books guidelines? if the the player who said they was a nephew came up for a plausible reason for being there, mrs janowitz belives them. I can see her being suspicious if the nephews friends are all there acting sketchy.

Even if she is suspicious, she is quite trusting with the right people, and it only requires someone with a persuade of 40% to convince her everything is straight. No roll required and if there was more than 3 one of them would of had persuasion 40 at least. you could of role played it as that players rudimentary knowledge of feds from fbi tv drama is enough to convince the old lady.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

Proud Rat Mom posted:

Not saying you hosed up, but did you follow the books guidelines? if the the player who said they was a nephew came up for a plausible reason for being there, mrs janowitz belives them. I can see her being suspicious if the nephews friends are all there acting sketchy.

Even if she is suspicious, she is quite trusting with the right people, and it only requires someone with a persuade of 40% to convince her everything is straight. No roll required and if there was more than 3 one of them would of had persuasion 40 at least. you could of role played it as that players rudimentary knowledge of feds from fbi tv drama is enough to convince the old lady.

I'd forgotten the bit about the Persuasion 40 being a pass but honestly I don't think it matters. The players were super sketchy. The one who answered the door stomped up and peered through the keyhole then tried to pretend he wasn't there. When she knocked again he yelled at her to go away and claimed that he was Baughman's nephew. I figured that she was familiar enough with Baughman that she would have remembered mentioning any kind of siblings or nephews so I got him to roll. The situation quickly escalated from there.

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

Down With People posted:

I'd forgotten the bit about the Persuasion 40 being a pass but honestly I don't think it matters. The players were super sketchy. The one who answered the door stomped up and peered through the keyhole then tried to pretend he wasn't there. When she knocked again he yelled at her to go away and claimed that he was Baughman's nephew. I figured that she was familiar enough with Baughman that she would have remembered mentioning any kind of siblings or nephews so I got him to roll. The situation quickly escalated from there.

Yeah that seems the correct choice. Moments when players are under stress and do crazy horrible stuff that even they can't explain after is like the best part of the game.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Even if a skill plateau lets you auto-pass, if the players are stressing, pressed for time, sketching out, etc, then make them roll.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Does anyone here have experience with playing / GMing Cthulhu Dark? It's a very minimalistic ruleset where the sanity mechanic and skills are stripped down a lot, no combat (at least in these core rules - you fight anything, you're dead). Also, rolls work differently and other players can decide to throw a "fail die" into your rolls.

I haven't played with these rules, but the way I imagine it, I wouldn't enjoy that sanity mechanic a lot. It's just a ticking clock to your investigator's death without any guidance as to what happens on the way. The GM could make something up, of course, and the players would need to roleplay it.
The skill role mechanics are interesting. The original rules make playing a bit difficult if the GM is too strict regarding the PCs values and the dice results and only says "you fail" instead of "it kind of works, but with these negative consequences". It often doesn't make sense to just "fail" and sometimes the game comes to a screeching halt. The Dark rules are really based on the latter approach, which is always better.
The fail die, on the other hand, really confuses me. Why is that put in the other players' hands? I guess the word "someone" in the rules includes the GM, but it sounds like a recipe for disaster with the wrong players.

numtini
Feb 7, 2010
There's an actual play with the author on Skype of Cthulhu, and while it has truly dismal audio, it gave me a good sense of the system and how it's supposed to run. On the sanity die, it's Graham Walmsley, he is big into "purist" adventures where everyone dies and goes mad, so I think your sense is right on. I have to say that while I'm dubious you could run with Dark for more than a one shot, it's one of the few Cthulhu actual plays that I actually felt was kind of spooky and it seemed like the rules supported that. The full size rulebook has some good GMing advice, but I really don't care for any of the settings other than the Victorian one.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

sicDaniel posted:

Does anyone here have experience with playing / GMing Cthulhu Dark? It's a very minimalistic ruleset where the sanity mechanic and skills are stripped down a lot, no combat (at least in these core rules - you fight anything, you're dead). Also, rolls work differently and other players can decide to throw a "fail die" into your rolls.

I haven't played with these rules, but the way I imagine it, I wouldn't enjoy that sanity mechanic a lot. It's just a ticking clock to your investigator's death without any guidance as to what happens on the way. The GM could make something up, of course, and the players would need to roleplay it.
The skill role mechanics are interesting. The original rules make playing a bit difficult if the GM is too strict regarding the PCs values and the dice results and only says "you fail" instead of "it kind of works, but with these negative consequences". It often doesn't make sense to just "fail" and sometimes the game comes to a screeching halt. The Dark rules are really based on the latter approach, which is always better.
The fail die, on the other hand, really confuses me. Why is that put in the other players' hands? I guess the word "someone" in the rules includes the GM, but it sounds like a recipe for disaster with the wrong players.

I liked the Sanity die so much I incorporated it into another rules-light system (Lasers & Feelings) that I like to run! It's not really a ticking clock so much as a way to press your luck. And even when you skirt the dangerous edge there's a method to pull back and return yourself to sanity. This mechanic is also good for non-Cthulhu games either as a Corruption mechanic (for a Dark Sun-style setting where calling upon magical powers can taint a person) or as a Danger mechanic. (for a Retro-sci fi style setting where you're pushing the limits and living life on the edge)

Back to Cthulhu Dark in specific, challenging a roll for a failure in my experience does come from the GM most of the time, and is an okay mechanic, but I feel like it's a little too clunky to add another roll to finding out the result of what's happening. In my experience this doesn't really add tension as maybe it was designed to, but merely drags out the rolling + resolution process. Also, as compared to Lasers and Feelings, I feel like Cthulhu Dark just isn't quite as interesting with the rolls themselves. Both in the number of dice and what the players are trying to accomplish with them.

tl;dr In all, I think Cthulhu Dark is mostly mediocre outside of the Sanity mechanic which I think is fantastic and easily added to other, better structured games.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Cthulhu Dark sounds like a beer.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I prefer Cthulhu French Roast.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

sicDaniel posted:

numtini posted:

There's an actual play with the author on Skype of Cthulhu, and while it has truly dismal audio, it gave me a good sense of the system and how it's supposed to run. On the sanity die, it's Graham Walmsley, he is big into "purist" adventures where everyone dies and goes mad, so I think your sense is right on. I have to say that while I'm dubious you could run with Dark for more than a one shot, it's one of the few Cthulhu actual plays that I actually felt was kind of spooky and it seemed like the rules supported that. The full size rulebook has some good GMing advice, but I really don't care for any of the settings other than the Victorian one.
Huh, I had a post written up before I searched for some of the author's advice I remembered reading a while back and just found out that he funded a full book on Kickstarter last year. His attitude in the final notes of the new game text seems a bit more fatalistic than when he first published the rules (see here, where he says further down that he expects the average Insanity to be around 5 by the end of the story). Also, side note, it's annoying to read commentary about Lovecraft so many decades down the line whose writers can only bring themselves to say that his stories 'often come across as racist' (at the end of the free GM's notes intro on the Kickstarter page).

As far as Insanity goes, in the extra notes in the original text he says that succeeding at an Insanity roll doesn't mean you're fine, it means you're holding together. I'd say that means that you not only roleplay being increasingly on edge or unstable as Insanity rises, but also a moment of shock, a breakdown, or a burst of greater instability after every failed Insanity check that you then temporarily get on top of or otherwise keep under control (until the next failure).

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mellonbread, I'm really liking your Boer War and Weird West scenarios for flashback one-shots in my DG campaign. Are there more good Pre-WWI historical scenarios like that out there, fan or otherwise?

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

Kavak posted:

Mellonbread, I'm really liking your Boer War and Weird West scenarios for flashback one-shots in my DG campaign. Are there more good Pre-WWI historical scenarios like that out there, fan or otherwise?

I don't think there's much out there for Delta Green itself - the central conceit of the setting (which I chose to ignore by writing those scenarios) is that it gives you a framework to play mythos games in the modern day.

Your best bet would be adapting material from Call of Cthulhu, which goes much more into the historical side of things. Cthulhu by Gaslight, Cthulhu Dark Ages and Cthulhu Invictus are all historical settings for CoC, although I can't really speak much to the quality of the scenarios they offer since I haven't read them extensively. There was a pretty good scenario in one of the expansions for Invictus about a bathhouse that contained a portal to the Dreamlands, which I considered porting to the modern day for DG.

My favorite pre-WW1 historical scenarios (based only on reading them, never having played or ran any) are in Mortal Coils. It's a scenario pack for Call of Cthulhu with modules set between 1900 and 1930. There are a couple in there by Detwiller and Tynes. I don't remember exactly who wrote what, but there's a few in there that make good use of pre WW1 settings: a "bug hunt" for strange creatures in 1900s Mexico, an effort to organize a lynch mob and hang some Lloigor cultists in the midwest, and a swamp adventure with zombies and a Confederate holdout guarding a lost hoard of rebel gold.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'll check out that Mexico scenario. I've never actually given Cthulhu Invictus a read, which I should probably correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

I've been looking at these on and off for most of the day:

I keep thinking about how they could be used in a Mythos game where the players explore a location. Possibly almost D&D dungeoncrawl-like, with the players running around a maze of twisty passages, all alike and trying to make sense of things. Either in exploring a Joseph Curwen-style basement or in exploring a strange dimension like R'lyeh.