Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

The issue with TFA and with TLJ from the perspective of X-Wing is that there were literally only 4 ship models in the first film (well, technically 5, but two of them were almost identical, I really wish they'd been braver with the /sf) and TLJ then added a whole 3 more (4 if you include that one personal shuttle, 5 if you include the unarmed civilian yacht). All but one of which have already been made.

And 3 seconds of quadjumper and even THAT has got made already.

Unless Resistance has a LOT to offer they're going to really struggle to fill out the Res and FO. I'm already not sold on the FO conversion; I'd use less than half of it.

TLJ also dropped that the TIE Bomber is still in FO use, so maybe we'll see that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

banned from Starbucks posted:

Technically the T-85 isnt even part of the resistance. Its part of the new government. I guess they could retcon it to "the resistance had some but they all blew up before TFA" or whatever but it wouldnt make much sense.

This is the dumbest take on why T-85s don't fit the Resistance faction.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Strobe posted:

This is the dumbest take on why T-85s don't fit the Resistance faction.

Nah. The whole point of them even name dropping the T-80 in whatever book was to show that Leia was getting old hand me down T-75s (almost like the rebels/resistance being scrappy and making due is a theme) for the Resistance to use. If they actually had T-80s why wouldnt Ace Pilot� Poe have one? Do you think like every ship shown that isnt a FO is just gonna be lumped into Resistance?

banned from Starbucks fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 10, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Do you think like every ship shown that isnt a FO is just gonna be lumped into Resistance?

Pretty much, yes, aside from scum stuff like those 3 pirate ships

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The T-85's were jumping into hyperspace to provide information on the FO to the Resistance, so it's a good bet they'll be part of the faction regardless of being officially New Republic or whatever.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don't understand why someone playing the X-Wing Miniatures Game wouldn't want another X-Wing added to the game. Who gives a poo poo if the Resistance canonically used them directly or not? At best you're splitting hairs.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Put Wedge in the drat thing and watch him become the mass-murderer of anything TIE he’s always dreamed of being :getin:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

ConfusedUs posted:

I've run that exact list! I ended up going triple Juke, though. With Vader crew in play, it's like triple re-usable crack shot.

If you have points to burn, good choices include (in my rough order of preference):

* Shield Upgrade on Duchess, for the reasons you said.
* Collision Detector for Whisper. Lets you play really aggressive with rocks; you can just park behind them, on them, decloak through them...
* Afterburners on Duchess, for when you really, truly, one hundred percent don't want your opponent to have the foggiest idea where you'll end up.

CD I've looked at, but I didn't think it allowed you to decloak through an obstacle? Decloak isn't a boost or barrel roll, technically, right? Being able to park on a rock and shoot is a neat trick and would have helped against that tugboat, but I don't think it generally is something I'd be doing.

Juke Duchess was my original plan, and I might do that over the Shield Upgrade, I'm not sure. I did end up evading a good bit, and the synergy is strong with other Juke ships.

Afterburners are...just too many points. I'd toss them on Soontir before Duchess to give me Evade > BR > Boost > pilot focus shenanigans for sure. Soontir has definitely been my MVP in most games, even with his somewhat unreliable damage when he's being evasive.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Gate posted:

CD I've looked at, but I didn't think it allowed you to decloak through an obstacle? Decloak isn't a boost or barrel roll, technically, right? Being able to park on a rock and shoot is a neat trick and would have helped against that tugboat, but I don't think it generally is something I'd be doing.

Juke Duchess was my original plan, and I might do that over the Shield Upgrade, I'm not sure. I did end up evading a good bit, and the synergy is strong with other Juke ships.

Afterburners are...just too many points. I'd toss them on Soontir before Duchess to give me Evade > BR > Boost > pilot focus shenanigans for sure. Soontir has definitely been my MVP in most games, even with his somewhat unreliable damage when he's being evasive.

Yes, decloaking is technically a barrel roll now. If you read the description on it, it says something like "perform a boost or roll using the [2-speed] templates"

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

ConfusedUs posted:

Yes, decloaking is technically a barrel roll now. If you read the description on it, it says something like "perform a boost or roll using the [2-speed] templates"

Yup. Straight up says it's a boost or a barrel roll, and clarifies that you need to 'declare which type of boost or barrel roll it is going to perform before placing a template on the play area.' If that boost or barrel roll fails, the decloak fails, I believe is the idea. "If a decloak fails, the ship is returned to it's prior position before it attempted the decloak, and the cloak token is not removed.'

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Well poo poo, that makes it a lot more interesting to me. Landing on an obstacle after a move is one thing, plenty of times that doesn't really get you out of arc or anything. But going through a rock into a spot you can't normally get at all, pre movement...hmm.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Collision detector is baller yes.

On Whisper, I feel that Juke +Vader is mandatory.

Stealth device and CD are optional and I prefer them in roughly that order.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

ConfusedUs posted:

Collision detector is baller yes.

On Whisper, I feel that Juke +Vader is mandatory.

Stealth device and CD are optional and I prefer them in roughly that order.

SD on Whisper was great. Going to 3 dice with a ship that often has multiple tokens for defense is huge.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Technically the T-85 isnt even part of the resistance. Its part of the new government. I guess they could retcon it to "the resistance had some but they all blew up before TFA" or whatever but it wouldnt make much sense.

Yeah, that's true. They were actual New Republic fighters with the New Republic logo and everything.

I still want them, though :colbert:

Finster Dexter fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 10, 2018

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Madurai posted:

TLJ also dropped that the TIE Bomber is still in FO use, so maybe we'll see that.

The promo materials did, but it wasn't actually IN the film...

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

The promo materials did, but it wasn't actually IN the film...

It's one of the holos whathisname the thief guy shows Finn during his "everything is morally gray" speech.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Madurai posted:

It's one of the holos whathisname the thief guy shows Finn during his "everything is morally gray" speech.

I thought it was a tie interceptor.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

I thought it was a tie interceptor.

There's a squint a bomber an a wing and an x wing but IIRC they're the OT models, and they're basically in there as a moral lecture not a 'ships in use' thing.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

There's a squint a bomber an a wing and an x wing but IIRC they're the OT models, and they're basically in there as a moral lecture not a 'ships in use' thing.

The AT-ST they show is the First Order version, and the X-wing is a T-70. It may very well be that the FO bomber and interceptor are basically unchanged from the Imperial models except for paintjobs, but it's definitely presented in-universe as contemporary.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Isn't the TIE/fo the same as a TIE/ln except for paint job? (I mean ignoring stats, obv.)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

Isn't the TIE/fo the same as a TIE/ln except for paint job? (I mean ignoring stats, obv.)

Ehhhhhh it depends on how spergy and nitpicky you want to get about it but for all intents and purposes ya, it's essentially the same ship.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Finster Dexter posted:

They have shields, so....yes basically, but with some upgrades. Tech slot also in game terms.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Finster Dexter posted:

There are extremely minor differences in the scale, engine design, wing supports, laser "nubs" and solar panel texture, but they're like 95% the same thing.

edit: added some photo evidence

plester1 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 10, 2018

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Frankly I just want more FO versions of regular Imperial ships. I love the colors, I love how they're the same but meaner. Like a bulldog on steroids and cocaine.

It's a crime that the Punisher isn't the First Order version of a TIE Bomber.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

ConfusedUs posted:

Frankly I just want more FO versions of regular Imperial ships. I love the colors, I love how they're the same but meaner. Like a bulldog on steroids and cocaine.

It's a crime that the Punisher isn't the First Order version of a TIE Bomber.

I basically agree with this and I love seeing the custom paint jobs of FO versions of like squints and defenders and stuff.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

plester1 posted:

There are extremely minor differences in the scale, engine design, wing supports, laser "nubs" and solar panel texture, but they're like 95% the same thing.

That socket on the back is a viewport, not an engine.

I failed a saving throw.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ceebees posted:

That socket on the back is a viewport, not an engine.

I failed a saving throw.

Nah, the TIE/fo and the TIE/sf are not the same as each other OR the TIE/ln. The /fo is shown above, the /sf has the rear window, the mini turret underneath, the wing cogs, and the sensor array.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

thespaceinvader posted:

Nah, the TIE/fo and the TIE/sf are not the same as each other OR the TIE/ln. The /fo is shown above, the /sf has the rear window, the mini turret underneath, the wing cogs, and the sensor array.

The big circle on the back of the /fo is a window, too.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Finster Dexter posted:

The big circle on the back of the /fo is a window, too.

Source?
TTBOMK it's the same as on the /ln, the ionisation reactor, whatever that means.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It's the doohicky that lets the twin ion engine nozzles work and helps make the TIE fighter noise.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I having been playing too much Boba and want something different. Thinking about running this list this week.

Fenn Rau (68)
Fearless (3)
Adv. Proton Torpedoes (6)

Dalan Oberos (54)
Predator (2)
Advanced Sensors (8)

4-LOM (49)
Advanced Sensors (8)
Mist Hunter (2)

Two mobile and hard hitters with a jamming 4-Lom. Dumb or doable?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

SOlid for sure but the APTs aren't worth taking at all. Dump them and buy Intimidation and 000 on LOM.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Ahh ya, probably better. I had 8 or so points to mess around with.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Some friends and I are going to try some games with randomly generated, cross faction quick build lists. Threat level 8. I ended up with Lieutenant Kestal, Dace Bonearm, Roark Garnet and Benthic Two Tubes. This is going to be dumb as hall, and really fun.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Slandible posted:

Ahh ya, probably better. I had 8 or so points to mess around with.

If you have spare space, bump up to Guri over Dalan. She's just better; more mods >>>>>>>>> more manoeuvrability, especially on a StarViper.

But I really want to try AS Dalan at some point anyway. For the silly. But I suspect he'll join Ciena Ree and Moralo Eval on the 'fun but not remotely good' pile.

Mexicola
Jan 3, 2006
In a world that's full of shit and gasoline, baby
How many people who play this game, owned and loved the technical manuals that came out way before the prequels? Its all of us isn't it?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Hells yes Dorling Kindersley Visual Encyclopaedias.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

ConfusedUs posted:

Imperial Fives

(52) "Whisper"
(14) Darth Vader
(4) Juke
(6) Stealth Device
Points 76

(42) "Duchess"
(12) Fifth Brother
(4) Juke
Points 58

(44) "Redline"
(5) Proton Bombs
(3) Trajectory Simulator
(9) Proton Torpedoes
Points 61

Total points: 195

Someone is currently playing this exact list on the Gold Squadron stream on youtube.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

KongGeorgeVII posted:

Someone is currently playing this exact list on the Gold Squadron stream on youtube.

Some guy from Gold Squadron was at the Tulsa monthly last weekend and I played it against him. So the secret is out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

If you have spare space, bump up to Guri over Dalan. She's just better; more mods >>>>>>>>> more manoeuvrability, especially on a StarViper.

But I really want to try AS Dalan at some point anyway. For the silly. But I suspect he'll join Ciena Ree and Moralo Eval on the 'fun but not remotely good' pile.

I've been running Guri alot too, but I want some change and Dalan sounds super fun. Hell I've seen people in my meta running a couple bare bone Black Sun Vipers just because. Starviper supremacy, I loving love it.