Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

Oh poo poo, that's been dead a while.

There's a guy on swedespeed who sells high strength sleeves although I've also heard the stock 06-up manual sleeves are better than before. I don't know if they regularly stock them but here's the guy with info if you want it. https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...ght=collar+gear

When you shop for a new angle drive, call Erie vovo (PA), V and S auto dismantlers (CA), and Strandberg auto (MN). They all have a lot of Volvos and will offer warranties and good prices.

gently caress it, i'm going NOS/OEM. I'm going to put too much power and drive this car too hard for too long to just stick another angle gear with 100k on it in and hope it doesn't fail within 500 miles.

Edit: LOLOLOLOLOL
I asked my mechanic his opinion on the stronger sleeve:
"Unless you are going to take it to VIR periodically, I would not spend the extra money."

Seeing as how I've gone to VIR twice (and again in December) and want to do One Lap of America that was an easy decision.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

LloydDobler posted:

Hilton is great. If there's no polestar option for your car, don't hesitate to use him. My C70 hasn't so much as kicked a CEL in the 5 years/25k miles I've put on it. And it really screams, although I think the 19T is just a great match for the engine here at altitude.

I’m glad that Hilton has the LloydDobler stamp of approval. My 2015.5 v60 cc is going to be out of extended warranty in a few months and I’ve been considering getting a exhaust, because the 5cyl sounds soo good, and getting it tuned because I like to move with haste. Any experience with Rica? I think their the only other company that offers tunes for the late p3 cars...

Also I think I’m the guy that terrible robot is talking about who bought the v60 cc new and loves it, lol.
I also regularly get the xc90’s and v90’s when I drop my v60 off for service, I do love the v90, but like everyone says it sounds like a 4 banger, which is depressing, & there’s like no physical buttons which can be distracting, but the Volvo auto pilot is neat.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Posted this in new ride. I didn't realize we had a Volvo thread. I've been a Saab owner for years, and I drove a 90's 240dl sedan during school for a year; loved it.
Now I'm a proud member of the Wagon Mafia.

1987 Volvo 240DL Wagon
Fun stuff included with the wagon -

HID headlights/rear back-up camera/screen head unit
PD T cam(20+bhp) and Accel super stock coil
ngk bpr6es plugs
cars been lowered 2" all round, wheels are BBS rz469 from a bmw 750i

I'm going to start working on restoring some of the trim pieces this weekend. Really fun car to drive.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

alternate.eago posted:

I’m glad that Hilton has the LloydDobler stamp of approval. My 2015.5 v60 cc is going to be out of extended warranty in a few months and I’ve been considering getting a exhaust, because the 5cyl sounds soo good, and getting it tuned because I like to move with haste. Any experience with Rica? I think their the only other company that offers tunes for the late p3 cars...

Also I think I’m the guy that terrible robot is talking about who bought the v60 cc new and loves it, lol.
I also regularly get the xc90’s and v90’s when I drop my v60 off for service, I do love the v90, but like everyone says it sounds like a 4 banger, which is depressing, & there’s like no physical buttons which can be distracting, but the Volvo auto pilot is neat.

Hey I’m absolutely in love with my CPO V60 CC 2015.5. Do you also have the Twilight Bronze?

Anyways I’ve only had it for two months now. Only issues so far were the driver side door latch failing, and a sideview mirror retraction motor failing, both which the dealer fixed and lent me an S90 which does sound depressing.

Have you ever had any issues with yours? Anything I should expect?

Dennis McClaren posted:

Posted this in new ride. I didn't realize we had a Volvo thread. I've been a Saab owner for years, and I drove a 90's 240dl sedan during school for a year; loved it.

1987 Volvo 240DL Wagon
Fun stuff included with the wagon -

HID headlights/rear back-up camera/screen head unit
PD T cam(20+bhp) and Accel super stock coil
ngk bpr6es plugs
cars been lowered 2" all round, wheels are BBS rz469 from a bmw 750i

I'm going to start working on restoring some of the trim pieces this weekend. Really fun car to drive.

That’s badass how much did you pay for it? I want one as my project car when I move somewhere with a garage.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Dennis McClaren posted:

Beautiful car.

I was gonna ask you in the rides thread but this is an even better place for it: Do you know what combination of springs and wheel spacers your wagon is using? That's the exact stance I'm looking to achieve with mine. Are those 15" or 16" wheels?

I need to get off my rear end and finish the front end rebuild on my 245.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Animal posted:

Hey I’m absolutely in love with my CPO V60 CC 2015.5. Do you also have the Twilight Bronze?

Anyways I’ve only had it for two months now. Only issues so far were the driver side door latch failing, and a sideview mirror retraction motor failing, both which the dealer fixed and lent me an S90 which does sound depressing.

That’s badass how much did you pay for it? I want one as my project car when I move somewhere with a garage.

Thanks man. I paid $2600 for it.

Terrible Robot posted:

Beautiful car.

I was gonna ask you in the rides thread but this is an even better place for it: Do you know what combination of springs and wheel spacers your wagon is using? That's the exact stance I'm looking to achieve with mine. Are those 15" or 16" wheels?

I need to get off my rear end and finish the front end rebuild on my 245.

Thanks man. The springs and spacers are the ones made by IDT for the 240 wagon - https://www.ipdusa.com/products/4920/112327-sport-lowering-springs-240-wagon
They are 16" wheels. Amazingly done cleanly enough that there is no rubbing at all. I'm real happy with the look.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Awesome, thanks!

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

Has anyone put an aftermarket cruise control system into their 240? I feel like I would really like one.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

Animal posted:

Yeah mine is also twilight bronze, I love this car. I bought it new, but it had a couple thousand miles on it because it was a demo car—so I got a decent deal on in in the middle of 2016. (It had like 5600 miles, now it has about 68k miles)
I recommend that you get the ipd rear swaybar for the v60, it’ll help get rid of a bunch of the understeer. Also avoid the powerflex bushing insert for the top torque mount on the engine, mine pushed the engine forward into the turbo outlet house and caused premature wear on the lower motor mounts. The dealer did replace all of it under warranty, but didn’t have to. I also had the passenger folding mirror fail on mine, but there is a tsb out for that, it was also covered under warranty. Rear brakes tend to wear before the fronts, this is party because it’s used for the stability control, and partly because I probably drive like a bit of a dick. Rotors wear on the rear of these cars because they are heavy. My factory brakes were done in the rear at like 25k miles. It’s easy to do the rears yourself, and Volvo unlike VW allows you to wind the electronic parking brake back manually with a torx bit—there’s a good YouTube video where a Russian guy shows you exactly how to do it on his xc70, the process is the same.

Let’s see here, I also had the awd system fail, they replaced the haldex pump under warranty, and applied a programming update that was issued to address when it kicks in, it hasn’t given me any trouble since then. I would imagine changing the fluid in the system regularly would help this as well.

Also at some point I had an internal door latch start squeaking, and they replaced that under warranty as well.

And somewhere around 55k I had a coil pack start to fail—dealer replaced under warranty.

Other than the awd pump failure (not my fault), and the powerflex bushing related issues (really kinda my fault), it’s been mostly trouble free. I love this car. It remind me of my mid 90’s 940 wagon, but it’s more comfy. I also really love the blis system, and parking sensors, both are super nice in and around DC.

alternate.eago fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 7, 2018

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Update: Still in pieces waiting for assembly and total bill.

I'm going to drive this car til it dissolves into dust around me at this point.
And the Hilton tune will be a great Xmas present to myself.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I’m looking for a decent, spacious wagon that can tow and started to seriously look into P2 V70s as my next car. In short, I mostly ride my motorcycle to work except for days where it’s expected to piss down rain, and we generally take the girlfriend’s i3 out on weekend jaunts, so getting into a P2 V70 sounds like a decent idea. Also, my current company’s financials are in the shitter so getting a cheap cash car I ran ride the wheels off of and that can tow my 401(k) of aluminum cans to another city is probably smart.

From reading around Volvo forums I’m finding that the V70 (or XC70) should pass the following tests:

1) Have a timing belt change at 100k miles (and if not get ready to replace it immediately)
2) Pass the “latex glove test” to ensure the PCV isn’t clogged, as well as observing the dipstick tube for smoke
3) Check for blown main and camshaft seals if the PCV is hosed (and run away if so). PCV is apparently a bitch but can be done in a weekend, and I’ve knocked out the plastic intakes on panther-bodies on a Saturday with hand tools so it’s doable.
4) Check for janky shifting on the test ride, and if so it may need a transmission flush and/or upper motor mounts
5) Run away if the transmission fluid is burnt

Not being exactly Volvo-literate, is there anything else I should be looking for on P2s? I have some decent mechanical knowledge and can do most work myself, though I’m going to limit myself to a timing belt change as my best capability difficulty-wise. Do you think it wiser to look into an older V / XC70 with the LPT or to suck it up and get a newer V60 under warranty, as I know I can get a loan for that (had already been pre-approved before the financials took a dump)?

I found a few examples of V70s around North Georgia that seem to be in decent condition with around 100-120k miles on the odometer, but the cleanest examples are 2.4s which Swedespeed seems to believe are inferior to the LPT units. I’ll admit that a turbo car with 100K+ on odometer scares me a bit. As for a newer machine, the V60 CC I drove was a great car, though I was a bit underwhelmed with how the transmission seemed to be hunting for the proper gear at highway speeds when attempting to pass, and the AWD on that one in particular reminded me of running a locked 4WD setup on a dry patch of road where it felt like it was kinda “binding” itself. Really comfortable car otherwise, though.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

alternate.eago posted:

Yeah mine is also twilight bronze, I love this car. I bought it new, but it had a couple thousand miles on it because it was a demo car—so I got a decent deal on in in the middle of 2016. (It had like 5600 miles, now it has about 68k miles)
I recommend that you get the ipd rear swaybar for the v60, it’ll help get rid of a bunch of the understeer. Also avoid the powerflex bushing insert for the top torque mount on the engine, mine pushed the engine forward into the turbo outlet house and caused premature wear on the lower motor mounts. The dealer did replace all of it under warranty, but didn’t have to. I also had the passenger folding mirror fail on mine, but there is a tsb out for that, it was also covered under warranty. Rear brakes tend to wear before the fronts, this is party because it’s used for the stability control, and partly because I probably drive like a bit of a dick. Rotors wear on the rear of these cars because they are heavy. My factory brakes were done in the rear at like 25k miles. It’s easy to do the rears yourself, and Volvo unlike VW allows you to wind the electronic parking brake back manually with a torx bit—there’s a good YouTube video where a Russian guy shows you exactly how to do it on his xc70, the process is the same.

Let’s see here, I also had the awd system fail, they replaced the haldex pump under warranty, and applied a programming update that was issued to address when it kicks in, it hasn’t given me any trouble since then. I would imagine changing the fluid in the system regularly would help this as well.

Also at some point I had an internal door latch start squeaking, and they replaced that under warranty as well.

And somewhere around 55k I had a coil pack start to fail—dealer replaced under warranty.

Other than the awd pump failure (not my fault), and the powerflex bushing related issues (really kinda my fault), it’s been mostly trouble free. I love this car. It remind me of my mid 90’s 940 wagon, but it’s more comfy. I also really love the blis system, and parking sensors, both are super nice in and around DC.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep an eye out on those things and get everything fix in the warranty period. And maybe install the sway bar. Did you notice any added ride stiffness when going off road after installing it?
Also how's the roof rack and roof box affecting your fuel economy? I get poo poo fuel economy anyways, 25mpg hwy 14mpg in NYC. I need to take it easy with the pedal..

Animal fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 9, 2018

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Blew the motor in my R tonight. Worst car luck I've ever had in my life.

As of right now, $5000 takes it as is. I'll probably change my mind later.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Jeez man, that car has been nothing but headaches for you. :( Any idea what happened?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Pretty sure it's the head gasket. I went to the bank, it was running really strong so I ragged on it, taking it up to 6000 RPM, then I pulled in to a drive thru for dinner and it started missing really hard. I was only a mile from home so I tried to push it there, figuring it was just my ignition coil wiring (saw some cracked insulation when I did the coils). Turned in to my neighborhood and it basically made a BANG RATTLE RATTLE and died. When I tried to re-start, it had a low coolant message but nothing was on the ground. While waiting for the tow truck I checked the oil and it's significantly higher than it was last week. Coolant is still in the reservoir but it definitely lost some. The hilarious part is that if I'd made it about 600 feet farther I could have coasted in to my driveway, but I was on the uphill side of the high spot. Instead I had to wait 45 minutes for a tow truck to tow me less than a mile.

So I'm guessing blown head gasket and hydrolock from coolant. Drinking tonight, post mortem tomorrow or the next day. But yeah, gently caress the PO and his loving rear end in a top hat mechanic. This motor is supposed to be unkillable and he/I killed it.

It's so pretty though, I can't not love it!

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 10, 2018

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I've been there man.... I've had two blow up on me. :(

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Got the call back from the shop. My car is ready to be picked up in exchange for $3300.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

angryrobots posted:

I've been there man.... I've had two blow up on me. :(

:same:

Sorry dude, that sucks. POs are the loving worst.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

LloydDobler posted:

Blew the motor in my R tonight. Worst car luck I've ever had in my life.

Build it back up! That's a sweet wagon in a sweet color that you likely won't find again. Also, it could be worse.

See:

toplitzin posted:

Got the call back from the shop. My car is ready to be picked up in exchange for $3300.

You seem to have pretty bad luck as well.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Hey all. I’m a recently minted ‘92 240 wagon owner. I bought the car in semi-usable shape as a way to both teach myself a bit about car repair and have a car I’ve always wanted. I’m slowly working my way through each system and cleaning/repairing/replacing parts as I go. I’m currently rebuilding the windshield wiper motor and noticed a nylon set screw on the side of the housing where the gear is. Does anyone know what it’s for? Volvo doesn’t seem to list it as an individual part and it doesn’t look like it has a function other than “fill threaded hole”. It’s in line with the motor’s drive shaft so I imagine it’s related to that. Anyone know?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

LloydDobler posted:

Pretty sure it's the head gasket. I went to the bank, it was running really strong so I ragged on it, taking it up to 6000 RPM, then I pulled in to a drive thru for dinner and it started missing really hard. I was only a mile from home so I tried to push it there, figuring it was just my ignition coil wiring (saw some cracked insulation when I did the coils). Turned in to my neighborhood and it basically made a BANG RATTLE RATTLE and died. When I tried to re-start, it had a low coolant message but nothing was on the ground. While waiting for the tow truck I checked the oil and it's significantly higher than it was last week. Coolant is still in the reservoir but it definitely lost some. The hilarious part is that if I'd made it about 600 feet farther I could have coasted in to my driveway, but I was on the uphill side of the high spot. Instead I had to wait 45 minutes for a tow truck to tow me less than a mile.

So I'm guessing blown head gasket and hydrolock from coolant. Drinking tonight, post mortem tomorrow or the next day. But yeah, gently caress the PO and his loving rear end in a top hat mechanic. This motor is supposed to be unkillable and he/I killed it.

It's so pretty though, I can't not love it!

RIP beautiful wagobeast :(

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Man that’s a gorgeous wagon. Is there no chance that after you fix these things it’ll be fine, or is it a chain of failures that keeps causing problems?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

If I fix it it'll be fixed right. I've been working on these things for literally 35 years now. I've put 65k on my C70 over 11 years and it runs perfect, with a very high performance tune on it.

I don't even mind doing the work, it's the expense and time off the road that's really getting me down.

I ordered a cool USB endoscope so Friday night I'll get into the cylinders and see what's what.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 11, 2018

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

My 87 240dl wagon is at the volvo specialist here in town. Front turn signal kept shorting and blowing fuses. Traced it back to the wiring harness, and it's a loving mess all around the firewall. Apparently some French bastards did the wiring on these early 240s?
Anyway since I couldn't find a wiring harness distributor, I took it to the Volvo specialist shop close to me. I'm looking at 4 hours of labor already to get the rear tail light wiring fixed, and all the front turn signal wiring redone where its poo poo the bed near the engine wiring. Thankfully, all the engine wiring has been completely replaced and fixed/reinforced by the previous owner. But this turn signal is fkn killing my pocketbook here ><

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
My 1989 245 DL has an intermittent fault with the passenger front turn signal. I’m not looking forward to tearing into the harness to find the issue.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

99% of the time it's the bulb socket or the plug at the bulb socket. Clean out the corrosion and if there's any evidence of melting, replace the plug. Some plug styles have ceramic housings now that prevent melting in the future.

Also ground wires. Bad grounds are extremely common on these cars.

At least start there, it's easy to check.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 12, 2018

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

99% of the time it's the bulb socket or the plug at the bulb socket. Clean out the corrosion and if there's any evidence of melting, replace the plug. Some plug styles have ceramic housings now that prevent melting in the future.

Also ground wires. Bad grounds are extremely common on these cars.

At least start there, it's easy to check.

The rear taillights had the melted plug issue. Replaced them both, fixed the problem. I should look into the ceramic housings, thanks.

No ground wiring problem, and I checked all the other normal quick-fix lighting issues.

That's what I encountered right before I took it to the pros.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

nooooooooooooo

In Dobler news, I got super lucky and Erie Vo-Vo happened to have an 08 T5 motor with 110k on it to match my car. Bought it. Delivery sometime in the next few weeks. The R will ride again. Deeper in debt, giving no fucks.

I CAN'T QUIT YOU.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

The R will ride again. Deeper in debt, giving no fucks.

I CAN'T QUIT YOU.

I know this feeling.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I figured it might have enough compression to start now that it's cooled down and it did. Ran on only like 2 cylinders. Got it turned around so it's facing my garage where I can pull the spark plugs. It was blowing coolant out the tailpipe.

I got my endoscope tonight, looks cool. It even has a right angle mirror and a direct reflecting mirror so I can see the cylinder walls and the valves. Looking forward to trying that out but not tonight. I already did the brakes on my daughter's car and that's enough car work for one night. God drat i'm getting old.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

2004 facelift S40, 1.8. what exactly does the fan controller module do, because mine doesn't any more. Also, can I replace it on its own or only as a unit with the fan and shroud?

Diagnosis: I get 12v at the power and signal wires at the plug on top when the AC is on or temp is high, but nothing at the motor terminals.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

toplitzin posted:

I know this feeling.

So very true..
Went to Target a few weeks ago and the kid pushing carts in the lot stopped me to compliment the R...told him it's the second one I've owned and still love them. Apparently he's got a S60 of some variety. Funny the people you run into.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Heads up, if you have a 2015 model or newer, you get a few year of Volvo On Call if you link Amazon Car delivery service app. That’s worth $200. If you le On Call trial period is still not expired, just call Volvo and they will extend an extra year.

I like Volvo On Call so I can start the engine remotely and warm up/cool down the cabin. But I’m not sure it’s worth $200/year.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

cakesmith handyman posted:

2004 facelift S40, 1.8. what exactly does the fan controller module do, because mine doesn't any more. Also, can I replace it on its own or only as a unit with the fan and shroud?

Diagnosis: I get 12v at the power and signal wires at the plug on top when the AC is on or temp is high, but nothing at the motor terminals.

Well, it controls the fan speed and on mine it's infinitely variable, or appears to be. Shop around online and see if you can buy it alone or if it always comes with a fan. Then hit the junkyard for one.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

cakesmith handyman posted:

My scanner is borked AGAIN, so have a potato picture. Module 4/71 is the fan controller. Hope it helps!

When it broke on mine the only option was a complete unit with fan, shroud, controller, etc etc.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Thanks both, looks like new is fan/shroud/controller for 110, I'll see if I can junkyard the module and splice it in.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

If it always comes with the fan then get it from the junkyard with the fan. It'll be a 5 minute job instead of an hour splicing.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

You're probably right, I was just thinking it'll be easier to splice 2 wipes than wrestle the whole thing out, but then I'll be splicing 2 wires inside the bay upside down lying in my back on gravel.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

RWD - the volvo owners resource
turbobricks forum
volvospeed forums
Which one of these is the most legit? 240 owner here, so I'm mostly focused on older models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Turbobricks, all the way.