Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

McFrugal posted:

Tell me if you're still enjoying it after you get to EV.

If you quit at the EV age you've still found 800 hours of enjoyment. That is kind of where it breaks down into Galacticraft and just build a new rocket, find the next tier of poo poo, make better circuits, upcraft your things and repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I use Storage Drawers when I'm setting up my first automated system, be it a farm, a mob farm, or whatever, for all the frequent outputs, and then once I'm into refined storage or whatever I set add drawer controllers and connect them as external storage with high priority so that the bulk of my bulky items stays in one place, but I still can access them through the terminal.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I'm trying to make a petal apothecary in enigmatica 2 expert. it requires the luminous crafting table which i've never used. Why isn't this working?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I guess it broke since I got the book and crafting table indirectly. I had to run a console command, but it fixed it.

/as research @p BASIC_CRAFT

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I have another question!

I'm now doing botania in Enigmatica 2 expert. I've done botania a dozen times and I know how it works - but when facing a mana spreader towards a mana pool (a full mana spreader) it isn't firing. Is there some kind of gate that keeps it from filling up a mana pool?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Taffer posted:

I have another question!

I'm now doing botania in Enigmatica 2 expert. I've done botania a dozen times and I know how it works - but when facing a mana spreader towards a mana pool (a full mana spreader) it isn't firing. Is there some kind of gate that keeps it from filling up a mana pool?

Did you use a wand of the forest to aim it precisely, or did you just plop the spreader down? Hovering over the spreader while holding a wand of the forest will tell you if it's properly aiming at a thing. IIRC, a spreader that is dead level will actually aim just barely above a pool on the same y-level.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Taffer posted:

I'm trying to make a petal apothecary in enigmatica 2 expert. it requires the luminous crafting table which i've never used. Why isn't this working?

Are you bonking the crafting altar with the wand? I think it's the resonating wand and that's how you initiate crafting for astral sorcery.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Did you use a wand of the forest to aim it precisely, or did you just plop the spreader down? Hovering over the spreader while holding a wand of the forest will tell you if it's properly aiming at a thing. IIRC, a spreader that is dead level will actually aim just barely above a pool on the same y-level.

Yes I pointed it directly at the pool. It actually did fire after I made that post, but super intermittently. Like, it'll fill completely, then 10 seconds later it will fire once. I'm not sure what the issue is, its hooked up to 2 endoflames (which are also full) in a super basic standard set up.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Are you bonking the crafting altar with the wand? I think it's the resonating wand and that's how you initiate crafting for astral sorcery.

Yeah. If you have a recipe correctly laid out, it shows the output in the table. The problem was, in Enigmatica 2, if someone else starts the astral sorcery quests, then you get the rewards and start to try to do some astral sorcery stuff, you're missing some under-the-hood research gates that get unlocked. I might have been able to fix it by retracing the steps of starting out the mod, but instead I just looked at the source code and unlocked the missing stuff with a console command.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Taffer posted:

Yes I pointed it directly at the pool. It actually did fire after I made that post, but super intermittently. Like, it'll fill completely, then 10 seconds later it will fire once. I'm not sure what the issue is, its hooked up to 2 endoflames (which are also full) in a super basic standard set up.

2 endoflames don't really make much in the way of mana, so it might just be slow. One thing you can do is look at the endoflames with a wand -- it'll show if they are properly bound to a spreader, and draw a little rainbow frame around the spreader they're bound to. You can also sit there and hold right click on the flower with the wand in hand to watch its little internal buffer fill.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Taffer posted:

Are you sure it's "link-pointed" from the spreader to the pool for lack of a better word? I think you can manually whack them around to change direction so that from eyeballing it looks good, but it's actually hitting below/above. I think by default, the spreader will shoot out a "this is where I'm pointing beam" every 10-seconds, maybe that's what you're seeing, and not actual mana pulses?

Pool isn't full, is it?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

2 endoflames don't really make much in the way of mana, so it might just be slow. One thing you can do is look at the endoflames with a wand -- it'll show if they are properly bound to a spreader, and draw a little rainbow frame around the spreader they're bound to. You can also sit there and hold right click on the flower with the wand in hand to watch its little internal buffer fill.

Yeah it's all bound correctly. I know endoflames don't make much mana - that's not the problem. The problem is just that all the buffers will be full on the flowers and on the spreader and it just... Won't fire. I'll take some screenshots later when I'm able to.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Taffer posted:

Yeah it's all bound correctly. I know endoflames don't make much mana - that's not the problem. The problem is just that all the buffers will be full on the flowers and on the spreader and it just... Won't fire. I'll take some screenshots later when I'm able to.

Is it a regular mana spreader, or a redstone mana spreader? Redstone spreaders only fire when given a signal.
Also keep in mind the mana bar for botania spreaders/flowers is only updated when you click with the wand. It's not a real-time display.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I'm playing the Direwolf20 1.12 pack and getting crashes when opening the Blood Magic book. Is there a fix for that?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

https://giant.gfycat.com/EasyShorttermImpala.webm

1) Everything is bound correctly
2) the mana pool is not full
3) it's a normal mana spreader
4) the endoflames buffers are full
5) the mana spreaders buffer is full
6) TPS is 20

and yet, it does not fire. I've never had any issues with this in any other modpack so i'm inclined to think something about this pack is broken.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Taffer posted:

https://giant.gfycat.com/EasyShorttermImpala.webm

6) TPS is 20

and yet, it does not fire. I've never had any issues with this in any other modpack so i'm inclined to think something about this pack is broken.

The pressure plate is driving a high redstone signal into the spreader, causing it to never fire. The couple of times it did fire are because it had enough stuff in its buffer to shoot, but the redstone mechanism was in the middle of dispensing a new piece of fuel.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Taffer posted:

The mana spreader is too close to the button. Regular mana spreaders are disabled when they receive a constant redstone signal.

EFB

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Taffer posted:

6) TPS is 20

When troubleshooting, start ripping out things to reproduce the issue, particularly redstone things - and build up adding one element at a time. That would have helped identify the pressure plate as the culprit.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

BadMedic posted:

The mana spreader is too close to the button. Regular mana spreaders are disabled when they receive a constant redstone signal.

EFB

aaaaaaaaaa

now I feel really stupid. thanks guys

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Can anyone explain why in so many years of Minecraft modding that simply being able to see at a glance whether a block is being powered by redstone isn't a universal standard feature by now?

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Super Jay Mann posted:

Can anyone explain why in so many years of Minecraft modding that simply being able to see at a glance whether a block is being powered by redstone isn't a universal standard feature by now?

Some combination of :effort: and MY VISION, probably

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Anyone got a good way of automating Botania flower farming that doesn't use the drum of the wild? I can't think of any farming-type machines that'll harvest flowers across a large area.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

MaliciousOnion posted:

Anyone got a good way of automating Botania flower farming that doesn't use the drum of the wild? I can't think of any farming-type machines that'll harvest flowers across a large area.

Use a dispenser to pour a bucket of water over the area.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Water, like a vanilla automated farm?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Speaking of vanilla, I'm actually ending up using a lot of vanilla mechanics in Gregblock. Since the mod list is so small, there aren't a ton of ready-baked automation options for stuff. Thermal Dynamics is in the pack, but servos are ungodly expensive and tiered so only the crappiest ones are available. I'm ending up doing things like this:

The water pushes ore chunks into the hoppers down below.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

MaliciousOnion posted:

The way I always liked to do it is just a couple annihilation planes. Two will be more than enough for all the flowers you'll ever need - I recommend restricting the area around your jaded flower so that the only available dirt is by the planes so they spawn quicker.

But yes, any vanilla farming method will work just fine.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The water pushes ore chunks into the hoppers down below.
If you put water in just the corners, or put a stream in the lower area where the drops fall, you can funnel it towards a single hopper!

Kin33
Jul 3, 2007

Where is your god now?
Woah its really easy to get the 660% efficiency end stone casing and condensor in Enigmatica 2 Expert Skyblock. Just need a way to make glow stone, lapis, and a few ender pearls.

Feels so much better than when I got bored of having to progress through each casing tier in Modern Skyblock 2/3.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Kin33 posted:

Woah its really easy to get the 660% efficiency end stone casing and condensor in Enigmatica 2 Expert Skyblock. Just need a way to make glow stone, lapis, and a few ender pearls.

Feels so much better than when I got bored of having to progress through each casing tier in Modern Skyblock 2/3.

Yeah, and refined obsidian makes fantastic casings and is (relatively) early game too.

I finally managed to make enough for two runs of Quartus alch dust and whooooo boy that's gonna last me a while. As soon as I got one I immediately put it back in the alc table and dumped the old stuff so I ended up with like...2 or 3 stacks of it I think? A lot. An awful lot.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
That power roll you get on with Sky Resources is one of the best in any mod, because suddenly you're using your mass multiplier to multiply itself and things get crazy real fast.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

If you put water in just the corners, or put a stream in the lower area where the drops fall, you can funnel it towards a single hopper!

Yeah, except a single hopper can't keep up with the sheet amount of crap that those sieves spew out.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

It really is pretty good. I like mods where you might struggle to get stuff together for a particular item or process but can then make subsequent versions or iterations very easily

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

That power roll you get on with Sky Resources is one of the best in any mod, because suddenly you're using your mass multiplier to multiply itself and things get crazy real fast.
As much as I hate the 'usual' start of a Sky Resources pack (because ugh, there's only so many times I can go through the slow-rear end process of getting a combustion chamber to give me glowstone) it's easily my favorite resources-outta-nowhere mod because of exactly this - unlike a bunch of 'difficult' mods, there's no time sink outside of waiting for your first few bits of gunpowder and when you start working out what to do the mod rewards you significantly instead of just throwing more long-rear end crafting sequences your way.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

It really is pretty good. I like mods where you might struggle to get stuff together for a particular item or process but can then make subsequent versions or iterations very easily

This is literally how progression through Gregtech power tiers in GTNH works. I scrounged for every scrap of lithium for my first few MV batteries, but once I got the MV advanced electrolyzer, I could electrolyze clay dust, which can be pulverized from hardened clay which seems to be nearly everywhere in jungle and mountain biomes, and suddenly I had a chest full of stacks of lithium, aluminium and silicon dust. The advanced extruder let me make rods and small gears from ingots instead of micro crafting them. It's very fun.

e. I just had an evil idea for a modded creeper, perhaps one suited to infernal mobs. What if there was a Black Hole Creeper that, when killed, spawned a short lived black hole that eats away at nearby blocks for a short period of time, like a TC hungry node. Kill it in your base? You're missing a chunk of your base.

Please tell me this isn't a thing somewhere, somehow, yet.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 11, 2018

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Ambaire posted:

e. I just had an evil idea for a modded creeper, perhaps one suited to infernal mobs. What if there was a Black Hole Creeper that, when killed, spawned a short lived black hole that eats away at nearby blocks for a short period of time, like a TC hungry node. Kill it in your base? You're missing a chunk of your base.

Please tell me this isn't a thing somewhere, somehow, yet.

John Cena creeper is enough 'gently caress your base'. Named creeper with a really short trigger -> explode timer, with a much larger explosion radius/strength.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Anyone else notice a problem with Mekanism's atomic disassembler while using Machinemuse's Power Suit in that the powered legs will instantly suck down the atomic disassembler's stored energy?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I had a thought about putting together mods in the hopes of making a particular experience themed after RPG classes. Like, you would have a mod that adds more and bigger monsters for the Fighter, sorcery and magic and stuff for the Wizard, heavy survivalist stuff and ranged combat for the Ranger, etc. Has anyone done something like this before?

This all comes from me watching a playthrough of SevTech and liking the individual mods in the pack, but finding it to be wayyyy too much at once and wondering if there was a way to make multiple tighter, more cohesive experiences from it. It's a very big mod and if broken up into curated mod combinations, it could make for a few really fun games.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 12, 2018

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Hello friends. I have a super specific minecraft request. Does anyone remember that 2-3 second long YouTube video titled something like "minecorft lofts plahgh episd 1" and when the video plays it's just some weird grunting audio over a still screenshot of the game?

Thanks.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I have been playing a newer mod pack by the name of StoneBlock for version 1.12! Its basically the opposite of a "Skyblock", in that the world is made of pure stone (no ore deposits :(). This particular pack includes tones of mods, it kind of feels like I am playing Plus+ :v: There are a lot of cool mods that I have never seen before, so it should be a fun pack. This pack isn't "extreme" like Project Ozone, though it does have alternative recipes for Equivalent Exchange (thank God!)

I have just started my progression, but so far its quite fun!

I made a mob grinder based on a design I copied from a youtuber. Its great I can kill the mobs but they can't reach me :twisted:

This is one of those new mods "Bonsai Trees" Its fantastic I can grow and harvest trees in these little contained pots instead of taking up all kinds of space underground!

This pack is 10/10 so far, I give it the Rutibex seal of approval.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

make a hopping bonsai pot, it'll auto harvest the bonsai trees into an inventory below it (like an AA crate)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I like the look of the mods that add more fantastical stuff to the game (Blood Magic, Astral Sorcery, AbyssalCraft, etc.). I can't really get into the ones that try to get into heavy engineering and detailing (e.g. Tinker's or PneumaticCraft). It reminds me too much of work.