Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muppetjedi
Mar 17, 2010

howe_sam posted:

When I was rewatched season 4 it was shocking just how much RTD seemed to hate Donna, she got poo poo on more than any companion I can think of off the top of my head.
RTD loves Donna, probably not to the extent he loves Rose, but he didn't hate her.

He probably doesn't even remember Martha though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Was there any Evelyn on Spotify? She and Colin Baker have fantastic chemistry, even if a lot of their stuff happened early in Big Finish when they were still figuring things out. The Marian Conspiracy is a pretty good story and introduces Evelyn.

OMG I love Evelyn! It was so refreshing to have an older companion again! The Marian Conspiracy was great, but Spectre of Lanyon Moor was my fave (Brig!).

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Also is it just me or is Nyssa a total bore in the audios? I liked her in the show but I find myself getting tired listening to her. Then again I really liked Zagreus so maybe I'm not the most tasteful person.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Muppetjedi posted:

RTD loves Donna, probably not to the extent he loves Rose, but he didn't hate her.

Donna had some great moments no doubt, but she always was the butt of some really mean-spirited jokes, it was weird.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Muppetjedi posted:

He kept bringing Martha back all the time, though? She got 5 episodes in S4, End of Time cameos, and a short run on Torchwood S2?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Jodie's in the NYTimes crossword today, neat.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I like the implication in Death of the Doctor that before regenerating, the Doctor piloted his TARDIS over the Earth to watch Adric smash into the planet.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Stairs posted:

OMG I love Evelyn! It was so refreshing to have an older companion again! The Marian Conspiracy was great, but Spectre of Lanyon Moor was my fave (Brig!).

I've been listening to some Evelyn ones lately too and I enjoy her, but that one about Juli(a/us) Caesar was completely incoherent.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TinTower posted:

I like the implication in Death of the Doctor that before regenerating, the Doctor piloted his TARDIS over the Earth to watch Adric smash into the planet.

Clara, after leaping into the Doctor's timestream, has the opportunity to save Adric from the Great Intelligence interference that leads him to die from the Cybermen, but just kind of shrugs.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Clara goes back in time to make sure Adric absolutely cannot leave the doomed spaceship

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Seemed an okay episode as far as intro episodes go. Definitely better cinematography, and at least looking like more budget. Story and dialogue was so-so, but that’s the usual for such episodes. Whittaker was pretty good despite playing a lot like my least favourite Doctor, Tennant. Companions seem fine so far, I love Bradley Walsh in everything.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

corn in the bible posted:

Clara goes back in time to make sure Adric absolutely cannot leave the doomed spaceship

There was an escape pod and Clara made sure the door was welded shut before the ship was ever launched.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Rhyno posted:

There was an escape pod and Clara made sure the door was welded shut before the ship was ever launched.

"Now I'll never know if I had the right ans-"

"YOU DIDN'T, LOSER"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I love Bradley Walsh and he was my favorite part of the episode. Jodie is ok also I suppose!

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I only really know Walsh from The Chase, so seeing him act in a half decent way really caught me off guard.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.

docbeard posted:

"Now I'll never know if I had the right ans-"

"YOU DIDN'T, LOSER"

Now kinda wish that was Donna. :p

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Safeword posted:

I only really know Walsh from The Chase, so seeing him act in a half decent way really caught me off guard.

He was great as the gruff sad cop on Law and Order UK so it was weird to find out he's basically always been a game show/soap opera guy

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 10, 2018

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The more i think about the episode the more I like it.
A predator monster who's actually a cheating rear end in a top hat is actually a really great premise as a serious threat and as something that's also different and weird, and a worthy foil for the Doctor.
Its also pretty good commentary that what appears to be a mighty warrior never really earned his power.
The doctor having the best aspects of Tennant and Smith while not having their assholery is also welcome, and makes sense as a reaction to twelve.
All in all, I think this season will be fun.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think if they'd left out the tooth thing and given Tim Shaw a very different design and a little more dialogue, it would have improved him a little, but, eh, it's the new companions and the new Doctor we're supposed to care about in a regeneration episode.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I think it's probably notable that Big Finish has done a Donna/10 box set, a Rose/10 box set, and now they're doing... another Donna set, because nobody cares about Martha

no love 4 martha

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

I think if they'd left out the tooth thing and given Tim Shaw a very different design and a little more dialogue, it would have improved him a little, but, eh, it's the new companions and the new Doctor we're supposed to care about in a regeneration episode.

As high regard as everyone (including me, obv) holds The Eleventh Hour, I don't think I've ever seen anyone demand the return of the Atraxi.

So yeah.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

docbeard posted:

As high regard as everyone (including me, obv) holds The Eleventh Hour, I don't think I've ever seen anyone demand the return of the Atraxi.

So yeah.

remember when they inexplicably decided to bring back the santa robots to overwhelming ambivalence

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I can’t help but wonder if we’ll end up on Tim Shaw’s world to rescue all those not alive, not dead people.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The_Doctor posted:

I can’t help but wonder if we’ll end up on Tim Shaw’s world to rescue all those not alive, not dead people.

He teleported away, plenty of time to blame the Doctor back home and have the rest of the species be antagonists

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

docbeard posted:

So yeah.

Regardless, the Atraxi are smart enough to not ever come back like 11 suggested.

no love 4 martha

That's ok, she's got Mickey.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I think it's probably notable that Big Finish has done a Donna/10 box set, a Rose/10 box set, and now they're doing... another Donna set, because nobody cares about Martha

no love 4 martha

Nobody likes the Rutans.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Clara, after leaping into the Doctor's timestream, has the opportunity to save Adric from the Great Intelligence interference that leads him to die from the Cybermen, but just kind of shrugs.

I absolutely loved that as an end for Clara, and kind of wished they'd kept her that way - would have been great to see her keep popping up in various weird places.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I need to ask again, does anyone know if digital sales of episodes are in any way counted towards viewing numbers for ratings?

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Safeword posted:

I only know him from Coronation Street, it's very weird seeing him in this.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I need to ask again, does anyone know if digital sales of episodes are in any way counted towards viewing numbers for ratings?

I'm not in the field or anything, but I'm pretty sure that they don't, but networks have to monitor those closely either way. I don't know that low Nielsen ratings but big numbers from stuff like Amazon or the Apple store hurt an individual show like they used to; they just make networks re-think the model for how they deliver content and negotiate who can carry it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bicyclops posted:

I'm not in the field or anything, but I'm pretty sure that they don't, but networks have to monitor those closely either way. I don't know that low Nielsen ratings but big numbers from stuff like Amazon or the Apple store hurt an individual show like they used to; they just make networks re-think the model for how they deliver content and negotiate who can carry it.

Hmmm.

I ask because I really want to help thwart that rear end in a top hat who's predicting a huge drop off in week two and I figure I could buy the show on every goddamned platform it was available on and quietly encourage others to do so as well.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

:kimchi::kimchi::kimchi:

https://twitter.com/thecyberdevil/status/1050086762603798530

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Hmmm.

I ask because I really want to help thwart that rear end in a top hat who's predicting a huge drop off in week two and I figure I could buy the show on every goddamned platform it was available on and quietly encourage others to do so as well.

He's probably going to win either way. Most shows see a huge drop off after the premiere and it has nothing to do with the quality of the show. A quick glance on Wikipedia indicates that there is a "watched within a week of airing" statistic that the track, which I think confirms that purchases are a different number. I imagine most people buying Doctor Who are getting a season pass, anyway.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Rhyno posted:

https://www.barb.co.uk/barb-explained/how-broadcaster-vod-viewing-is-included-in-our-programme-audience-figures/

quote:

BARB has reported timeshifted TV set viewing for a number of years. At first, we reported timeshifted viewing up to seven days after broadcast; now we report up to 28 days post-broadcast.

There’s a common misconception that we only report timeshifted viewing if it’s via a recording device, and not if it’s via a broadcaster video-on-demand (BVOD) service. In fact, if a BARB panel member watches the latest episode of Poldark on BBC iPlayer on their TV set, for example, within 28 days of it airing on BBC1, we capture this timeshifted BVOD viewing and it is included in the consolidated viewing figures. However, we can’t yet ascertain if the panellist has watched the programme via a recorded playback or through BBC iPlayer.

There is an exception to this, which is Sky. In BARB households with Sky, we have wired connections into their Sky boxes, which gives us access to service information codes. These enable us to distinguish whether their timeshifted viewing is via recorded playback or through Sky On Demand.

So, if you watch it on Sky it counts and that is a digital sale

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

He was great as the gruff sad cop on Law and Order UK so it was weird to find out he's basically always been a game show/soap opera guy

One of his earliest television roles was as a foul-mouthed gangster on an episode of the Lock, Stock... and Two Smoking Barrels spin-off series, which was very surprising indeed when you've only seen him as a genial game show host.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

what are some good big finish 7th stories, mccoy is awesome

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

what are some good big finish 7th stories, mccoy is awesome

Rapture.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Finally was able to watch the episode.

:shrug:

I wanted to like it, but I just couldn't. 13's manic energy gives me a very Tennant vibe, and I couldn't stand Tennant. That said, she was great during the Tim Shaw Showdown and the last few minutes, so who knows. Deep Breath is one of the worst episodes of the revival and Capaldi still ended up as one of my favorites, so I’m just going to chock this up to typical regeneration episode roughness.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
e: extremely wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Jodie :allears: