Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

What's Graham Phillips's deal? the only wiki article I can find on him is in Russian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Randarkman posted:

What's Graham Phillips's deal? the only wiki article I can find on him is in Russian.

Freelance blogger for Russia Today, one of the two main Russian propaganda mouthpieces aboard. Has boner for war crimes, the state of Russia, Brown Moses and his mother, and underage mail brides.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Freelance blogger for Russia Today, one of the two main Russian propaganda mouthpieces aboard. Has boner for war crimes, the state of Russia, Brown Moses and his mother, and underage mail brides.

Was this the guy who forced his Russian "girlfriend" to get an abortion or am I thinking of another Kremlin shill.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Was this the guy who forced his Russian "girlfriend" to get an abortion or am I thinking of another Kremlin shill.

No, this is the one who used to blog about visiting prostitutes, and ended up getting engaged to a 17 year old Eastern Ukrainian girl he met when she was 16, even though he's 39. When he's not rifling through corpses, interviewing prisoners of war, and mocking double amputees to their face, he spends his time hanging around girls like that. He's super loving creepy, and there's at least on restraining order we know about after he convinced himself a woman murdered her husband and harassed her continuely.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Brown Moses posted:

He's super loving creepy, and there's at least on restraining order we know about after he convinced himself a woman murdered her husband and harassed her continuely.

Oh. :staredog:

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Brown Moses posted:

I was there with my colleague Christo Grozev, who worked on the majority of the Skripal reporting, he was speaking with the journalists at various points.

I didn't mean him but a face on the left that appears to be speaking to journalists around 7:56. But maybe it's just another journalist.

Brown Moses posted:

It was a weird moment for me, to say the least.

Recording Graham Phillips back was a bit silly, but other than that you handled the situation great. Good work. :sun:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Mark Ames? I wouldn't really call him a Kremlin shill, certainly not to the extent that Graham Phillips is.

Also I'm still not sure if his story about threatening to kill his girlfriend actually happened or if it was just a bit of exploratory fiction from the perspective of his alter ego, Jock James

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Graham got shot in the butt in Donetsk, didn’t he?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Ukrainian autocephally news:

quote:

Євстратій Зоря shared Ecumenical Patriarchate's live video.
26 mins ·
The Ecumenical Patriarchate

Announcement

Presided by His All-Holiness, the Ecumenical Patriarch, the Holy and Sacred Synod convened for its regular session from October 9 to 11, 2018, in order to examine and discuss items on its agenda.

The Holy Synod discussed in particular and at length the ecclesiastical matter of Ukraine, in the presence of His Excellency Archbishop Daniel of Pamphilon and His Grace Bishop Hilarion of Edmonton, Patriarchal Exarchs to Ukraine, and following extensive deliberations decreed:

1) To renew the decision already made that the Ecumenical Patriarchate proceed to the granting of Autocephaly to the Church of Ukraine.
2) To reestablish, at this moment, the Stavropegion of the Ecumenical Patriarch in Kyiv, one of its many Stavropegia in Ukraine that existed there always.
3) To accept and review the petitions of appeal of Filaret Denisenko, Makariy Maletych and their followers, who found themselves in schism not for dogmatic reasons, in accordance with the canonical prerogatives of the Patriarch of Constantinople to receive such petitions by hierarchs and other clergy from all of the Autocephalous Churches. Thus, the above-mentioned have been canonically reinstated to their hierarchical or priestly rank, and their faithful have been restored to communion with the Church.
4) To revoke the legal binding of the Synodal Letter of the year 1686, issued for the circumstances of that time, which granted the right through oikonomia to the Patriarch of Moscow to ordain the Metropolitan of Kyiv, elected by the Clergy-Laity Assembly of his eparchy, who would commemorate the Ecumenical Patriarch as the First hierarch at any celebration, proclaiming and affirming his canonical dependence to the Mother Church of Constantinople.
5) To appeal to all sides involved that they avoid appropriation of Churches, Monasteries and other properties, as well as every other act of violence and retaliation, so that the peace and love of Christ may prevail.
At the Ecumenical Patriarchate, the 11th of October, 2018

From the Chief Secretariat
of the Holy and Sacred Synod

Via https://m.facebook.com/100001148806070/posts/1845057652209177/

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Time to grab popcorn.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Hilarion’s emails

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Things are about to get interesting in Ukraine again.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I hope His Grace Hilarion of Edmonton looks like this:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/benimmo/status/1050442681518821376

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Things are about to get interesting in Ukraine again.

I am liking the "Ukrainian Orthodox Church --- Konstantinopl Patriarchate" summary, at least.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I've got to say, that bellingcat article on alt-right online radicalization was disappointingly limited in scope and depth.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I've heard another interesting church-legalese take on this. If this comes to pass that means that act of Konstantinople of 1686 of tranfer of Kiev-Galicia metropoly to Moscow jurisdiction is annuled. However Kiev-Galicia was larger than just Ukraine, it included entirety of Belarus as well. So technically it means that Belarus is no longer under Moscow jurisdiction. If Ukraine autocephaly will include all the original Kiev-Galicia lands that will make Belarusian orthodox church (currently Belarusian exarchy to Moscow partiarch) subordinate to Kiev, if autocephaly only includes current borders of Ukraine than Belarus becomes a part of Constantinople patriarchy.

e: apparently they outright annuled the letter of 1686. Incidentally patriarch Kirill is visiting Minsk at the moment. A lot of ancient papers-rustling is surely to follow

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Oct 13, 2018

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Flavahbeast posted:

Mark Ames? I wouldn't really call him a Kremlin shill, certainly not to the extent that Graham Phillips is.

He's not a Kremlin shill exactly but the whataboutism is strong with him. And his "memoir" has all sorts of bragging about doing terrible things to Russian women in it. It's gross to the point that even if it's fiction he's a major creep for even thinking that making that poo poo up is acceptable behavior.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Teenage prostitutes aside, Ames and Taibbi and that whole crew were still doing great things 10 years back, maybe even 5, but now the impression I get is that they don't really have an angle to go on and Ames certainly hasn't written anything interesting in years. The War Nerd guy is still doing that world trekking macho gonzo thing which can be interesting when you don't know anything about his subjects, but it's superficial as hell. Yasha Levine is writing about tech so that's a hard pass. I guess Taibbi is doing fine out of run of the mill political journalism in America now

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Russian Ambassador to the UK just got Where's Your Proofed:

https://twitter.com/MaloverjanBBC/status/1050741113181655045
https://twitter.com/MaloverjanBBC/status/1050747776676564994

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Brown Moses is bad! You'll just have to take my word on that.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Huh? “I can’t give the evidence”? Sloppy. He could at least show some video game footage as a proof.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's 'obvious' if you 'know' how to 'think' for 'yourself'.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Brown Moses is bad! You'll just have to take my word on that.

Well gently caress, I knew that he posts here

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

You can watch him be totally not mad at Bellingcat from 12 minutes to 23 minutes, then 31 to 36 minutes in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlxTGRNiPGk&t=727s

https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/1050758889568915463

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Ice cold. Hahaha

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

It seems like this press conference was a genuinely stupid thing to do, seems lots of journalists present were extremely unimpressed with the ambassador

https://twitter.com/AliBunkallSKY/status/1050842819672399874

The thing I wonder is if he knows he's lying, or he actually genuinely believes everything he is saying is true. I'm not sure what is scarier.

It does give us plenty of have fun with though

https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/1050851469707100160

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 12, 2018

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Brown Moses posted:

He was pretty cool, asking Graham to let us speak. It was a weird moment for me, to say the least.

that moment in the video was so surreal i started laughing. the eu guy seemed to be indignant at such a breach of full time protestor professionality

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I liked it when Graham appeared in the background and EU guy just draped a flag over his face.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Brown Moses posted:

It seems like this press conference was a genuinely stupid thing to do, seems lots of journalists present were extremely unimpressed with the ambassador

https://twitter.com/AliBunkallSKY/status/1050842819672399874

The thing I wonder is if he knows he's lying, or he actually genuinely believes everything he is saying is true. I'm not sure what is scarier.

It does give us plenty of have fun with though

https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/1050851469707100160
Is this the guy that tweets what he thinks are sick burns from the UK embassy account?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

How's he even there? I thought they expelled a bunch of staff

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Russia (and some associated countries) has the standard international diplomacy tactic of just insisting up is down as militantly as possible. They're not very good at manipulating the international system because they mostly operate by dismantling it. This stands in partial contrast to China who also do the "insist we have always controlled these waters" schtick, but do so on legal issues where with the right backroom maneuvering, fantasy becomes reality.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Orban just solved homelessness in Hungary, by making being homeless illegal. Such an easy lifehack, why didn't anyone think of that sooner??

Still waiting for them to make unemployment illegal though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How does that work? You have an obligation to find a shelter if you're homeless?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Rinkles posted:

How does that work? You have an obligation to find a shelter if you're homeless?

Basically yeah. Police may order homeless to find a shelter. If they fail to do so within a few months, police may detain them and permanently confiscate their personal belongings.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The police will get to accumulate quite the cardboard box collection, then.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Basically yeah. Police may order homeless to find a shelter. If they fail to do so within a few months, police may detain them and permanently confiscate their personal belongings.

Then what do they do after detainment

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

LeoMarr posted:

Then what do they do after detainment

It’s not like the reform is scaremongering the poorest off the streets.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Eastern Europe: Bishop Hilarion and the Chamber of Schisms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

How's he even there? I thought they expelled a bunch of staff

'Expelling diplomats' is code for 'we are not letting your intelligence operatives work openly in this country any more'. You kick out the people you know to be spies and leave the actual people who handle diplomacy. It's a way milder measure than the headlines might suggest.