Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I suspect this OS... is a POS!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Microsoft working overtime to bring the linux experience to windows
you ain't kiddin https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-open-sources-its-entire-patent-portfolio/

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
i need ms to keep going and out-rms rms

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lmao and i just noticed this today

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Pinterest Mom posted:

is the classic intellimouse (2018) any good

It's pretty nice, basic packaging with no lovely extras like the "Intellimouse" crap that they used to ship. Only about $20 when it first appeared on Amazon.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

PyPy posted:

This whole windows 10 sounds like a good drat clown show. It upsets me because I truly love windows 7.

if i had to switch to windows, i would be happy using windows 7. wtf happened

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

i need ms to keep going and out-rms rms

yeah, and air gap your posts

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Toady posted:

7 isn't ad supported enough

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
also it's not free software, like windows 10

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Toady posted:

Mac OS is like a bad version of Windows 10, so might as well switch to the good one.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lmao @ the monthly office 2016 build ui.

microsoft what the gently caress are you doing? why does it look like the deranged lovechild of the mac and pc versions?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Toady posted:

microsoft finally got fed up with epochal changes and having to drag people out of using a ten year old OS and the resultant wailing and gnashing of teeth over how unfair it is that microsoft isn't still offering* security updates for windows 2000, so they said "gently caress it, everyone's going to the same OS, one** windows for all"

*yes yes i'm aware there's probably some government contract that's keeping a trickle of updates coming, thank you king pedant

**i'm still convinced there's a marketing guy in microsoft who lost a bitter fight for windows 10 to be named "windows one"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

infernal machines posted:

lmao @ the monthly office 2016 build ui.

microsoft what the gently caress are you doing? why does it look like the deranged lovechild of the mac and pc versions?

probably a combination of "someone with bad taste is at the helm demanding a bunch of new changes, because new is better" and "nobody at microsoft wants to janitor old broken code any more when they can shove out their own broken new code that they can list as a shiny bullet point on their resume"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i wonder how much absolute garbage has been pushed out the door - and i don't mean at microsoft or even in computing but just in the world at large - just to fulfill the perverse incentive of "gotta have a flashy bullet point on my resume so i can continue failing upwards in life"

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

**i'm still convinced there's a marketing guy in microsoft who lost a bitter fight for windows 10 to be named "windows one"
at least the branding would be consistent for once

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

anthonypants posted:

oh thanks for clearing that up, i thought that was some lovely program i installed because 1. it's not localized 2. it doesn't work :allears:

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

microsoft finally got fed up with epochal changes and having to drag people out of using a ten year old OS and the resultant wailing and gnashing of teeth over how unfair it is that microsoft isn't still offering* security updates for windows 2000, so they said "gently caress it, everyone's going to the same OS, one** windows for all"

*yes yes i'm aware there's probably some government contract that's keeping a trickle of updates coming, thank you king pedant

MS looked at the massive market success and unparalleled usability of arch linux and decided to emulate the best software delivery model of all time: the rolling release linux distro

pram
Jun 10, 2001

I suspect this OS... is a POS!

does windows not have hard links? lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

anthonypants posted:

the linux community has sure come to windows now, good grief

:nms:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cj7-Vm5gEk

nms warning for anime

pram
Jun 10, 2001

akadajet posted:

nms warning for anime

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

akadajet posted:

nms warning for anime

oh yeah, i forgot they were going to put tabs on every window

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

wow. bash. a feature no other os has.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

akadajet posted:

nms warning for anime

of course anime users are the only people interested in a Linux shell

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pram posted:

ntfs does, yes

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

akadajet posted:

nms warning for anime

that command line default color tho. enjoy your the terrible colors of computing past

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
So the real question - does rm -f move your files to the recycling bin, or just scratch them from the disk?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Also quite comforting they were able to find three different ways the update would trash your files.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

carry on then posted:

oh yeah, i forgot they were going to put tabs on every window

allowing every application to spawn tabs natively is the first really good idea microsoft has had in at least a decade but the concept of allowing you to mix applications in container windows is really dumb plus you know office is still going to roll their own so its effectively useless

its such a simple and elegant solution to a common problem so why wouldnt microsoft gently caress it up

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

The only reason they implemented tabs was so that they could inject Edge into every running application

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Explorer tabs is the only thing I want. Not some stupid over-engineered "sets" feature (that's now one year late)

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

pram posted:

it does but what should be happening is every KB rollup like this has a supersedence field that tells it the KBs it replaces. Either they hosed up the packaging of their updates so the latest rollup doesn't correctly identifying the previous month as superseded or the client doesn't give a poo poo and sucks

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lambert posted:

Explorer tabs is the only thing I want. Not some stupid over-engineered "sets" feature (that's now one year late)

excel having tabs would make office work a billion times easier

i cant even imagine outlook not either making GBS threads windows everywhere or having to have the windows subdivided into so many panes that theyre all useless

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

the client doesn't give a poo poo and sucks

p. sure it's this

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Lambert posted:

Mac OS is like a bad version of Windows 10, so might as well switch to the good one.

can't wait to see clickbait links on my login screen

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Toady posted:

can't wait to see clickbait links on my login screen

Like this random wallpaper? Click here

Cool thanks for clicking this button doesn't do anything

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
deadends

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Skim Milk posted:

wow. bash. a feature no other os has.

Just put your cygwin/msys bin folder at the top of your path variable, then you can run all the linux utilities right from the plain ol' windows command line. It's v. satisfying

May not be the safest thing ever, but hey why not live a little

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 11, 2018

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Private Speech posted:

Just put your cygwin/msys bin folder at the top of your path variable, then you can run all the linux utilities right from the plain ol' windows command line. It's v. satisfying

why would i want to use literally the worst terminal app ever made

even mintty is better than cmd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Private Speech posted:

oh loving poo poo yes. im stuck in a windows shop and im rolling with CMDer but thats a hold over from before my machine-level admin rights came down