Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Beet Goblin posted:

I have stuff to do this evening, please make sure to post all the FUD slides here, and of course, bear this in mind in regards to all dates

Most of AI can be done in a couple of days.
-- A reddit user

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Oof. There there, reddit. It'll be okay.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Koil posted:

foip looks so good im dying xddd -reddit user

This is like some Requiem for a dream camera-work poo poo right there. All it's missing is the final frames where the character vomits.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Beet Goblin posted:

Oof. There there, reddit. It'll be okay.

I don't think you can top the one where the wheels literally came off on the ramp of doom.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This isn't even pre-alpha. What's the letter before alpha? Hell, what was the Phoenician letter that alpha is descended from? This is pre-that.
the technical term is "disproof of concept"

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Is there a way to view an unedited version of the shitshow they've done so far

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Carlisle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3p809BIxoGA

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ggangensis posted:

This isn't completely correct.
Planes like the F-14 or the Mig-21 are made by third party devs and you buy those from them. There is no thing as a "premium plane" in DCS, since competetive multiplayer isn't a big thing there and even if you want to dogfight you set up a match against people with similar planes, e.g. from the same era. It's more a question of "Interesting plane, would like to learn to fly it" than "this gives me an edge in some way". Also, there is no in-game currency in DCS and you can't lose your plane in any way. You can get shot down in a match, thats it, you won't lose anything. The DCS multiplayer for the most people is about flying custom made scenarios with your squadron and the win-state there ranges from "I've manged to take off" to "we completed the objective like a real US Air Force squad would do, radio chatter included".
Anyway, the comparison between DCS and SC is bollocks anyway. The first one is a game that got it's first release with Black Shark in 2009 and saw steady improvements since then and become the go-to framework for Military Flightsims with interesting stuff released regularly, the F-14 as the latest example. The second one is a wet fantasy of a space second live that won't see the light of day in a decent state that somehow ticked the right boxes for a few people back then but is just a sad, tragic joke nowadays.

But apart from that I understand what you are saying. The absurd thing about SC is this whole LTI stuff, the griefing-aspect in combination with the ridiculous prices for ships that have a laughably bad flight model and just exist as some sort of status symbol. And yeah, the game itself doesn't really exist.

You're totally right, I'm not disagreeing with you. If anything my OG post was giving CIG way too much credit, you've broken it down to a far more informative level that shows just what a sham Star Citizen is. It's just a loving insult to the people opening their wallets for a dream that CRobberts & Co. will never realize

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

Taintrunner posted:

Gillian Anderson, Mark Hamill, Gary Oldman, loving Henry Cavill, that old bald guy! They still have all that loving mocap and VA video!

Fixed that for you. I doubt they can use what they've got as mocap any more.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost
I can't get over how, after all those dumb as hell marketing tweets, foip was a complete shambles.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

bbchops posted:

I can't get over how, after all those dumb as hell marketing tweets, foip was a complete shambles.

-A Something Awful User

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

hot balls man no homo posted:

I don't think you can top the one where the wheels literally came off on the ramp of doom.

That's true. But also, this year's Con was mostly frontloaded with all the laughs. Mangled FOIP, demo crash, all the NPC glitches (they were permeating the whole demo but if you've seen a bunch you've seen them all). All these happened within the first minutes. Then it was mostly an hour of boring.

I only remember the failed jumps in the "platforming section" as another funny instance. And that's because I hate this kind of stuff, especially in first person mode, and so should everyone else.

Ramp of death happened in the pinnacle point of that several minute long scripted mission. And the "Nooooo" scream of despair elevated it to a classic moment.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Cool. Now they're showing footage from Mass Effect Andromeda.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Nap Ghost

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bbchops posted:

The loving mouth didn't even open! It was a nightmare!

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Cool. Now they're showing footage from Mass Effect Andromeda.

Oh man I mean if you wanna talk about the graveyard of bad, unsalvageable space games....

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
I'm glad they showed me how they got their rock colours to be the right grey.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I recorded it all, and plan to upload "highlights" asap.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice
I'm glad that their main floor panel and twitch stream are showing how they made procedural rocks when the second panel is talking about bounty hunting and the discovery gameplay. I mean, it's all just ~dream and plans in the second panel, but that's what sell those jpegs. Hire me, Sandi. I can market this poo poo better than you morons.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Fronts posted:

I'm glad they showed me how they got their rock colours to be the right grey.

Actually they just showed who they managed to make the rocks just a brown as the terrain. It was really difficult.

And they also boasted about their colorful pallete

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

TheAgent posted:

this has been the worst citcon because they are walking back the dreams and are preparing the faithful for the harsh reality that this poo poo won't be ready until 2024+

:same:

That keynote was kind of a downer. For the average citizen, seeing CIG’s struggle just to deliver Lorville at the level of detail Chris demands should kill hopes of multiple big cities on multiple planets in multiple systems. People expected glimpses of that today, glimpses of the far off future, the expansion beyond the known. But today they saw the struggle to still deliver a fraction of the known. The big not-really-surprise was functional trains. It was, like the Eckhart demo, a big long slog of a fetch quest with a little bad combat and a fatal platform jump sprinkled in. Oh, and Spaceship commercials jammed in everywhere to help pass the time.

Not a joyous day regardless of what the funds tracker may say.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The Tony Zurovec Dream Chat is loving hilarious.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

trucutru posted:

Actually they just showed who they managed to make the rocks just a brown as the terrain. It was really difficult.

This reminds me of how much poo poo I had to do in order to get Fallout 4 VR to actually be green again, as 200 years after a nuclear war Boston would be, with the Re-Growth mod.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

trucutru posted:

This is terrible! It's all in a grid. it looks like nethack rooms.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The other one is, well...

SoftNum posted:

This is terrible! It's all in a grid. it looks like nethack rooms.

That was just to preview assets, it looks way more boring in reality.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

ZenMaster posted:

thank you for your efforts of saving the rest of us the trouble of watching the entirety

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Nap Ghost

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Just tuned in to hear about 100,000 simulated NPCs!

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice
Holy poo poo Tony's whole explanation of each NPC going through value/moral decisions on whether to keep their blue-collar job or to quit and become a criminal and how that all effects the economy and availability of resources in the area... this is pure strain ~dreams right here

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Taintrunner posted:

Oh man I mean if you wanna talk about the graveyard of bad, unsalvageable space games....

I actually liked ME:A. Sort of.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
So I take it that nobody told chris that it is boring to make a player need to do things like drink coffee, drink alcohol, ride a train, walk for 10 minutes through a station and fly for 20 minutes across a planet just to get some gameplay going? Like, this is all stuff gamers like to avoid and chris made it the centerpiece of his presentation. Does he not know we hate all this? Even the people who claim to look forward to this crap will get tired of it after the first few go rounds.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

ZenMaster posted:

Awesome, thanks in advance then

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Now they are talking how they started with blue skies on their brown planet but that wasn't adequate so they worked really hard to make them brown.

FINAL FRAME!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

How many more hours until the idiot in charge of $200M is released back onto the stage?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

trucutru posted:

Lol on mobile I thought this was a screenshot of their stupid city development perspective thing that showed off the model for whatever place that was

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

So I take it that nobody told chris that it is boring to make a player need to do things like drink coffee, drink alcohol, ride a train, walk for 10 minutes through a station and fly for 20 minutes across a planet just to get some gameplay going? Like, this is all stuff gamers like to avoid and chris made it the centerpiece of his presentation. Does he not know we hate all this? Even the people who claim to look forward to this crap will get tired of it after the first few go rounds.

There's like two things. 1. I'm sure crobbers thinks that the demo he showed compares favorable to the CP2077 clip. and 2. lots of citizens claim to want this content.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Would Chris have listened? Nope.
All those you listed, and let's not forget "old school platforming", are pure distilled Chris' autistic idea of "game".

I'm happy that this is now more highlighted and really shows what a terrible design it is, because hey backers, you've been behind this poo poo for years and guess what, it's not surprising that it turned out like this.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is the loving worst conference host I've ever goddamn seen, holyshit, he's worse than Mr. Caffiene

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

This is the loving worst conference host I've ever goddamn seen, holyshit, he's worse than Mr. Caffiene

what is wrong with this guy's hair, i was just staring at it baffled about the shaved line swooping diagonally down the forehead combined with the spikes going backwards :psyduck:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Taintrunner posted:

I din't know babies could go bald.

Holy gently caress! He's sooooo bad!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

G0RF posted:

:same:

That keynote was kind of a downer. For the average citizen, seeing CIG’s struggle just to deliver Lorville at the level of detail Chris demands should kill hopes of multiple big cities on multiple planets in multiple systems. People expected glimpses of that today, glimpses of the far off future, the expansion beyond the known. But today they saw the struggle to still deliver a fraction of the known. The big not-really-surprise was functional trains. It was, like the Eckhart demo, a big long slog of a fetch quest with a little bad combat and a fatal platform jump sprinkled in. Oh, and Spaceship commercials jammed in everywhere to help pass the time.

Not a joyous day regardless of what the funds tracker may say.

As always the keynote depends on the viewer. If you aren't desperate for positivity then yeah, it was a disappointment. It was another slog to pick up a thing and deliver it to a place, interspersed with hilarious glitches and one player death because apparently the game thinks platforming is appropriate in a space sim. It wasn't particularly compelling, interesting, or remotely fun. It didn't even feature flight in space. The fact that it started with fifteen minutes of waiting was particularly hilarious because, again, CIG is a clownshoes organisation.

If you are desperate for positivity then it was progress. A big planet! New spaceships! Motherfucking plants! Climbing! A mustang that doesn't loving kill you every time you get into it! Nominally not-poo poo FPS assuming you don't interact with more than two people! TRAINS! Fidelity! Immersion! What's not to loving love? A stale sandwich covered in sand with moldy bread that you need to pick the green bits out of may not be appetizing to someone who just walked out of a restaurant, but to someone who is starving it's the best meal they've ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Seeing the foip gifs is nightmarish

I'm fidgety by nature. Scratching my cheek scrunching my face up and poo poo , rubbing my chin

Having a camera display all that to other players would be hilarious, why anyone would want to see me twitching out all the time is far beyond my old school gamer understanding