Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

zoux posted:

David Aja is insanely good. For more incredibly well portrayed fights check out his run on Immortal Iron Fist.

What's he drawing these days?

The Seeds, which is outstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Infinitum posted:

Venom #6.

:allears:

Gives me a 90s vibe for some reason

It does have a lot of similarities (both art and story aspects) to Venom: The Hunger, which was the best 90's Venom comic, so that makes sense.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

It does have a lot of similarities (both art and story aspects) to Venom: The Hunger, which was the best 90's Venom comic, so that makes sense.

The best 90s Venom comic is Seed of Darkness, featuring Krobaa, the Living Darkness.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

zoux posted:

David Aja is insanely good. For more incredibly well portrayed fights check out his run on Immortal Iron Fist.

What's he drawing these days?

I still want a 12-issue series by Aja and Fraction, teaming up Barton and Rand.

HAWKFIST AND IRON GUY would rock.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

The best 90s Venom comic is Seed of Darkness, featuring Krobaa, the Living Darkness.

This disagreement only shows that Len Kaminski should have written more Venom comics.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Avengers World #3: Shang-Chi fights the Hand

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Avenger's World was kinda underrated. I loving love Shang Chi.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Spider-Ock. Not sure if bad rear end or disturbing?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

nothing more badass or inspiring than a nude man overcoming a sea of spiders

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

And that's how you get the "Americans eat 8 spiders on average every year" statistic.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

And that's how you get the "Americans eat 8 spiders on average every year" statistic.

Russian interference! :argh:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Kraven was one hosed up dude.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Punkin Spunkin posted:

That night:

Kraven: I ate 500 spiders to defeat you.

Spidey: what

Kraven: I can feel it working

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

DarkCrawler posted:

I didn't know he was from a white émigré family but it...explains alot

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's cool art but it's one of those times where the panels are supposed to have a lead-up to the main action that doesn't work on the page. On film, seeing a single spider come down into view and then more and then more would be cool but there's no way when you look at the page that you don't immediately see all the panels with thousands of spiders (and naked Kraven).

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DarkCrawler posted:

There's a What If about that story and when he's doing this bit, he's ranting and raving. In the middle of his ramblings, he says, "Why am I doing this?" before going back to his nonsense and I always found that especially creepy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

All that raving is technically his thoughts from the originals, but making him just yell it out loud in flat angles in the What If makes it a lot dumber-looking.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Gavok posted:

There's a What If about that story and when he's doing this bit, he's ranting and raving. In the middle of his ramblings, he says, "Why am I doing this?" before going back to his nonsense and I always found that especially creepy.

Sometimes the insanity abates for a bit, I mean you can't be batshit 24/7, need to take breaks now and again.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

davidspackage posted:

That night:

Kraven: I ate 500 spiders to defeat you.

Spidey: what

Kraven: I can feel it working

I mean this is basically what happens in the story.

I don’t think Spider-Man ever finds out what all that was about

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

zoux posted:

So now we know who "Spiders Georg" is.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gavok posted:

Is that the "What if Kraven had killed Spider-Man?" one? I think that's the meanest What If of them all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is that the "What if Kraven had killed Spider-Man?" one? I think that's the meanest What If of them all.

The meanest What If of them all is the one where Wolverine and Conan trade places in time and Conan fucks up the trial of the Phoenix and the Phoenix blows up the entire universe.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Zil posted:

Sometimes the insanity abates for a bit, I mean you can't be batshit 24/7, need to take breaks now and again.

Sometimes you just need some time alone by yourself with yourself

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Is that the actual backstory to that page? Kraven is eating hundreds of spiders to prepare to fight Spiderman? Is this the supervillain equivalent of like "eating bugs to own the libs?"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Glagha posted:

Is that the actual backstory to that page? Kraven is eating hundreds of spiders to prepare to fight Spiderman? Is this the supervillain equivalent of like "eating bugs to own the libs?"

He's Kraven the Hunter -- he's all about getting close to his prey and almost becoming one of them in order to kill.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Glagha posted:

Kravens last Hunt is basically a story about Kraven mentally breaking down

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Plus spiders have a lot of protein.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Glagha posted:

I mean it all culminates in him defeating Spider-Man, burying him alive, and deciding he's the new Spider-Man. This is the crazy hunter equivalent of Rocky's eggs in a blender.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
He heard about the "I'm summoning the spiders" incident and thought "yes, that makes sense, I can work with this"

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
There's also the part where he (presumably) milks the venom from thousands of venomous spiders, pours it in a bowl, then laps at it like a dog. I'm guessing his line of thinking was that he would gain their power this way, but instead he just grabs at his throat and falls over.

good day for a bris posted:

I mean it all culminates in him defeating Spider-Man, burying him alive, and deciding he's the new Spider-Man. This is the crazy hunter equivalent of Rocky's eggs in a blender.

Oh yeah, when he is dressing up as Spider-man he uses a grappling hook on a rope to swing around like Spidey. And then because coincidences are not a thing, he just happens to rescue Mary Jane from some muggers, who has a silent freak out at "Who the hell is this guy dressed like Peter?"

Also, it's the black costume at this time, but Kraven's is cloth. I don't recall if this is pre or post Venom and if we are at the black cloth version of the suit or not.

At the end of the story Kraven digs up Spider-man who was just tranquilized (for 4 days) and buried in a coffin, claps him on the shoulder and says "Great hunt, you are worthy prey. Go. Live", and then blows his brains out in his trophy room

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Lurdiak posted:

The meanest What If of them all is the one where Wolverine and Conan trade places in time and Conan fucks up the trial of the Phoenix and the Phoenix blows up the entire universe.

Nah, the meanest one of all is the What If for Atlantis Attacks which instead of being caused by one moment is caused by three separate things failing, followed by 40 pages of every Marvel character being killed one at a time.

...or the one about Bruce Banner being a wife-beater. That one's pretty rough.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Kraven's Last Hunt is a great story and Rich Evans is an idiot.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CzarChasm posted:

There's also the part where he (presumably) milks the venom from thousands of venomous spiders, pours it in a bowl, then laps at it like a dog. I'm guessing his line of thinking was that he would gain their power this way, but instead he just grabs at his throat and falls over.

Oh yeah, when he is dressing up as Spider-man he uses a grappling hook on a rope to swing around like Spidey. And then because coincidences are not a thing, he just happens to rescue Mary Jane from some muggers, who has a silent freak out at "Who the hell is this guy dressed like Peter?"

Also, it's the black costume at this time, but Kraven's is cloth. I don't recall if this is pre or post Venom and if we are at the black cloth version of the suit or not.

At the end of the story Kraven digs up Spider-man who was just tranquilized (for 4 days) and buried in a coffin, claps him on the shoulder and says "Great hunt, you are worthy prey. Go. Live", and then blows his brains out in his trophy room

It’s cloth. This was right after the marriage and venom has not appeared yet.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Villains should compare notes more because then maybe they'd know that plotting to kill Spider-Man doesn't work but getting rid of him to replace him as a better version actually has a good track record.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Kraven defeats Spider-man early on in that story but he doesn't believe that is enough, he also wants to be a better Spider-man, so he begins doing weird poo poo like that and also going out to fight crime dressed like Spidey(and killing some people along the way) while also going after Vermin, a previous villain that Peter couldn't beat on his own and needed Captain America's help to take down. When he does all that and proves to himself that he is the better hunter and the best Spider-man he declares himself satisfied with the outcome and suicides(But before leaves a note explaining to the police that he was the one dressed as Spider-man the entire time). Peter then goes after the Vermin on his own and manages to hold him off.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lurdiak posted:

And the last words in the Universe is Conan yelling out “CROM!”
I found that so funny.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Gavok posted:

Nah, the meanest one of all is the What If for Atlantis Attacks which instead of being caused by one moment is caused by three separate things failing, followed by 40 pages of every Marvel character being killed one at a time.

I remember not buying that in the store because it was so murder-happy. It wasn't until I was older and rereading it digitally that I realized just how much contrivance is required in the first few pages before the writer can get to his full-universe murder spree.

That and "the X-Men Lost Inferno" really do go way out of their way to justify the ensuing slaughter.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Gavok posted:

Well, now I'm curious. Do you recall what issue? Maybe we need a seasonal "Spooky panels" thread.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lurdiak posted:

Kraven's Last Hunt is a great story and Rich Evans is an idiot.

Are the two related or are you just saying? I'm curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Wanderer posted:

I remember not buying that in the store because it was so murder-happy. It wasn't until I was older and rereading it digitally that I realized just how much contrivance is required in the first few pages before the writer can get to his full-universe murder spree.

That and "the X-Men Lost Inferno" really do go way out of their way to justify the ensuing slaughter.

The entire Ultimatum storyline is like this. Just mean and violent. Really was a low point in my Ultimate Universe read through.