Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The worst player should play heroes of the storm - Hot Take

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Playing support is basically using training weights. You get used to learning how to engage/disengage as a fragile squishyboy where it doesn't matter if you're at 1hp, if you've got enough mana for a spell you gotta get back into that fight your dipshit carry got themselves into. Then you play centaur and you feel like a golden god and you don't give a poo poo about what your teammates are doing because now you're the idiot who starts all the fights.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

I played 3 games with a buddy from work who has a little better game sense from me. The first one we both ran support and had a great time denying a bloodseeker (who ended with 18 deaths!!!) and we smoke ganked some people and had good ward coveragfe and let our turbo fed skywraith mage and weaver win the game. The second one I played as shadow shaman and I pushed 4 towers!!! but that was about the only towers we killed because the grimstroke and faceless void utterly lost the safelane and were like 3 levels down from me at 10 minutes. It was still fun and everyone was good and cool.

The last game was turbo mode with work buddy's friend and man, turbo mode is clown car dotos.

game is hard, but game is fun.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Enigma89 posted:

I haven't really been playing that much since january but I loving suck now. This is the first time since MMR came out that I am actually below 3k. Ever since talents came out I have just been sucking and all of my old school meme builds don't work so well.

You probably suck from not playing but also everyone at that mmr is way better than they were a year ago so don't feel too bad.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
How the actual gently caress are people still ending up playing with tcjimbo in 2018?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Nanomashoes posted:

the worst player should play carry

Agreed. It's way harder to be a good support than a good carry.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Shockeh posted:

How the actual gently caress are people still ending up playing with tcjimbo in 2018?

It was 2016 and it was hots and it was my first moba and it was my first game. Tcjimbo asked me if I knew what the current meta was and I said, "what's a meta" and he proceeded to die from an aneurysm. That's when I knew I had fallen in love :love:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shockeh posted:

I think he's perma muted in HOTS and only plays that now.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

You probably suck from not playing but also everyone at that mmr is way better than they were a year ago so don't feel too bad.

They also deflated MMR, the range used to be up to 10K for the top players but they're closer to 8K now.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Kild posted:

I think he's perma muted in HOTS and only plays that now.

I mean, I play HOTS primarily now (because I don't have an hour per game to sit around waiting for it to end when we're losing) #DadLife but still, I wouldn't be stupid enough there, either.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Play turbo. You're welcome.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
Hi boney

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

hi deadtear

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ILL Machina posted:

Play turbo. You're welcome.

I had a 45 minute turbo game today because techies is still the worst

But on the plus side I finally got all three cavern sets and can just play whatever for the last week.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

IcePhoenix posted:

I had a 45 minute turbo game today because techies is still the worst

But on the plus side I finally got all three cavern sets and can just play whatever for the last week.

Yeah that's fair, sometimes you get screwed with a long one at 45, but at least it's not 75. And it's a pretty different game with the reduced tower hp and personal courier, but I've been enjoying the 22min average.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

willow owns to play and ive never had a game where i'm like man, i wish i didn't go willow offlane

thx for reading (:

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

ILL Machina posted:

Yeah that's fair, sometimes you get screwed with a long one at 45, but at least it's not 75. And it's a pretty different game with the reduced tower hp and personal courier, but I've been enjoying the 22min average.
The thing that's weird about Turbo is that it's permanently skewed toward push drafts. If someone ran an actual Turbo mode tournament, Drow would be a first phase ban.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ILL Machina posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, I love turbo and the constant sub 25-minute games. I just wanted to illustrate how much I hate techies.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

how the gently caress do commends work? I binged like 5 games yesterday, logged off, then suddenly I have 40ish more commends? I wasn't even like, nice yesterday, i was probably on average more toxic than nice, im so confused

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

sugar free jazz posted:

how the gently caress do commends work? I binged like 5 games yesterday, logged off, then suddenly I have 40ish more commends? I wasn't even like, nice yesterday, i was probably on average more toxic than nice, im so confused

It updates every 10 games and is based on your last 25 games, I believe?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Grimstroke is cool and good

ErectorBeast
Sep 19, 2010

"I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it."
I'm home alone and bored and going to subject myself to playing this awful game. Would love some goons to come keep me company in chat on twitch.

SouljaBoyVEVO
May 19, 2018

From the Ghastly Eyrie, I can see to the ends of the world, and from this vantage point, I declare, with UTTER CERTAINTY, that THIS one is IN. THE BAG.
All of my favorite heroes are in the shitter right now. Dazzle and AA are borderline unpickable so it's Skywrath and Undying every other game for me. Can't wait for a loving patch.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Dazzle is pretty ok still I think. A lot of people max his q in lane and just sit there and zone out people

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Does anyone have a huge variance between solo and party mmr? I was 4.1k solo and 2,000 party. When they reset ranks I was Legend 3 or 4 and I did solo calibration before party. This time around, I did party first and then solo. My ranking is Archon 3. I played one solo game and won and went from Archon 3 to Archon 4 at 58%?

My guess is that it's trying to squeeze the variance between party and solo? Anyone know?

Ideally would like to get back to high legend and push for ancient.

Also as a sidenote and not to derail, I played one game of dota and it felt so much better than the months worth of league of legends I have been playing. League was neat to dick around with and I hit gold ranking but that game feels so loving stale compared to dota.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I used to have a party MMR and solo MMR of roughly the same back when we still had numbers. It was 4.5k solo and 4.2k in a party.

I exclusively played with my one friend who is good at doto and roughly the same mmr as me in solo queue.

Then I went and lost like 40 out of 50 games or something insane and dropped to 3300, climbed back up to 4k as a support, then when they reset the ladder and gave us new mmrs most recently I lost 9 out of 10 placement matches and ended up legend 1 when I used to be ancient 4.

My party MMR hasn't moved.

I don't think they're doing any squeezing.

As an aside it loving sucks being a career support player who is just straight better than 90% of the people you queue into, because every game I get to style on people and lose anyway because supports can't carry games. Not that I'm some amazing gosu god gamer, but I haven't been anything but a strong positive influence on the team in over a hundred games but still only manage to get a 55-60% winrate and slowly slowly climb mmr.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Agent355 posted:

I used to have a party MMR and solo MMR of roughly the same back when we still had numbers. It was 4.5k solo and 4.2k in a party.

I exclusively played with my one friend who is good at doto and roughly the same mmr as me in solo queue.

Then I went and lost like 40 out of 50 games or something insane and dropped to 3300, climbed back up to 4k as a support, then when they reset the ladder and gave us new mmrs most recently I lost 9 out of 10 placement matches and ended up legend 1 when I used to be ancient 4.

My party MMR hasn't moved.

I don't think they're doing any squeezing.

As an aside it loving sucks being a career support player who is just straight better than 90% of the people you queue into, because every game I get to style on people and lose anyway because supports can't carry games. Not that I'm some amazing gosu god gamer, but I haven't been anything but a strong positive influence on the team in over a hundred games but still only manage to get a 55-60% winrate and slowly slowly climb mmr.

I have been playing very little but in the games I have played it seems like the offlane that loses the least ends up winning. I love playing the offlane but I feel like I can't do poo poo anymore.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Agent355 posted:

You can still see your MMR numbers. Open your profile and click on "stats" and it's in the top right corner.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Enigma89 posted:

I have been playing very little but in the games I have played it seems like the offlane that loses the least ends up winning. I love playing the offlane but I feel like I can't do poo poo anymore.

The current meta is dual lanes because losing the offlane is so damning. If your idiot pubs are running trilanes or junglers still slap them upside the head.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Agent355 posted:

The current meta is dual lanes because losing the offlane is so damning. If your idiot pubs are running trilanes or junglers still slap them upside the head.

for the longest time, people refused to run dual lanes in the offlane in my 5k bracket, so what would happen every game is that both teams would zone the gently caress out of the enemy offlane, then later flame and report their own offlane for getting zoned. i would always point out that the enemy offlaner was level 4 compared to my level 5 at 10 minutes, but my team still typically thought they had just outskilled the enemy offlane and i was getting outskilled on my lane, and thus i was deserving of many reports and flames

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

anyway this is what you should do if your safelaners aren't rotating to help you on the offlane.

1. rotate to your safelane and form a quadlane. your team will flame and report you, but is necessary and somewhat cathartic so don't worry too much about it

2. your team will now choose one of the following routes
a) your safelaners will stubbornly remain in lane, and you will be quadlaning until around 12 minutes, at which point you will lose all your teamfights and the game will end with your loss. this is good, because it will cause your safelaners to deservedly lose the game
b) one of your safelaners will rotate to offlane, leaving him solo against 3 heroes

3. if the last step was 2.b), you should now rotate back to the offlane.

4. if your support immediately rotates back to the safelane, you should immediately follow him, going back to step 1). if he stays to help you, you should now lane normally and try to win the game.

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 6, 2018

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I hate to say this but I kind of miss the jungle a bit. Not that I ever liked jungling and rarely ever did it but it was sort of nice of having a permanent off-the-map person who could jump in any lane to gank.

The lanes feel super loving static now.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
This might be a dumb thing to ask, but how's DotA2 nowadays and how does it stack up compared to LoL and HotS? Anyone here played HotS or started with HotS as their first MOBA but switched to DotA? What keeps you playing DotA over HotS?

I'll start off and say my first and only MOBA has been HotS, I've played it a bit...

But lately HotS has been getting more and more frustrating to play and it's no longer fun. So many little thing about it that I don't see getting fixed any time soon, if ever, and unfortunately these things turn into not so little frustration when all added up, not to mention Blizzards dated as hell client for the game. And lets be real, it's pretty a shallow/simplified game with not many options for choice with talents the way hero balance currently is.

I'm thinking of switching to DotA2 (LoL is probably out because it follows the HotS model of you needing to buy/unlock heroes, right? gently caress that noise again.) A nice things about HotS is the short games, and it's basically free when you get caught up with heroes.

I also noticed DotA has a "Plus" thing now for money? whats that about... Anyway, I know this is kind of a weird thing to ask because I could always just try DotA out a see for myself, I'm just wondering if you guys would recommend it.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
The majority of Dota Plus's value is from cosmetics; it has some machine-learning stuff that it exposes for skill and item builds, but honestly most of its value can be replaced by clicking on one of the highly rated hero guides ingame.

(Point of order: The "Dota" in Dota 2 officially doesn't stand for anything; the "Defense of the Ancients" name was a casualty of their ongoing legal squabbling with Blizzard, even though the two buildings on either side of the map are still called "ancients".)

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Im_Special posted:

This might be a dumb thing to ask, but how's DotA2 nowadays and how does it stack up compared to LoL and HotS? Anyone here played HotS or started with HotS as their first MOBA but switched to DotA? What keeps you playing DotA over HotS?
I played HOTS for a bit. I stopped because I was tired of the game being decided over one person not efficiently getting exp. The enemy team gets their ultimates before us and it snowballs into a loss from there. It also suffered from the league problem of bigger numbers always beating smaller numbers. Talents were largely dictated by 1 obvious choice for every selection; Dota also sorta has this problem but it has a lot more customization in items and farm priority.

quote:

I'm thinking of switching to DotA2 (LoL is probably out because it follows the HotS model of you needing to buy/unlock heroes, right? gently caress that noise again.) A nice things about HotS is the short games, and it's basically free when you get caught up with heroes.
Yeah league requires you to buy/unlock heroes. Dota2 has a 'turbo' mode with ~20-30m games (they can still go long if you get 2 bad stalemated teams)

quote:

I also noticed DotA has a "Plus" thing now for money? whats that about... Anyway, I know this is kind of a weird thing to ask because I could always just try DotA out a see for myself, I'm just wondering if you guys would recommend it.
Yes play Dota2!

Dota+ is a subscription to get a bunch of cosmetic stuff that doesn't really matter except for the stats that would REALLY help new players telling you suggested lanes, items, and skill builds.

Kild fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Oct 11, 2018

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Dota is cool. Just jump in and start playing.

Dota plus is basically in-game statistics about which talents (kinda like hots) have the best winrate and other metagame-y stuff. Not necessary at all, and https://www.dotabuff.com is basically the same thing but free in a browser format.

I strongly suggest ignoring most out-of-game words and videos and just start playing. You’re probably going to lose more than you win for your first few games, but that’s ok.

There’s an enormous skill curve to this game with the best pro players being like 30 standard deviations away from the average player (for their public MMR performance; this says nothing about their dedicated team strategies and in-role performances). It’s cool to watch and hear about that stuff, but if you’re having fun and want to get better then submit a gameID (and make your games public) and we can maybe critique it.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Know that you are entering a game with a mature player base (ie: most of the players have been playing for years) and that you might get a lot of poo poo early on for not understanding all the unwritten rules about laning/drafting/etc. If you tell people you are new then you will be surprised by how many might actually be helpful. If they aren't then tell them to eat poo poo and mute them.

But yeah I think if you like the genre then Dota 2 is the deepest and most rewarding game in it.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
I've played all three of the mobas you listed and I honestly have no idea how league exists or is the most popular of the three when HotS is the ultimate lets-have-fun moba and dota is the ultimate skill-cap + knowledge required moba.

As long as you're aware of how deep the rabbit hole goes, and that on average the community for dota is more toxic than that of hots, then I'd absolutely agree and suggest you jump right in and then look up things as-needed when you run into them in game. There's just way too much stuff in this game to try and learn it all before playing, though obviously many of the basic mechanical things will have carried over from hots.

Some of my all-time fav gaming memories have happened in dota, still vividly remember games from years ago like the one time we held with our ancient at 8hp, repelled the enemy team and went on to win the game - or the time I won a game after all 4 teammates abandoned at 5 minutes against a full team, a literal 1v5.

That said, after playing this game for some months and 'gettin gud' don't be surprised when one weak pick by your teammates still causes you to lose uncontrollably, although the potential for single-player outplays is way higher in Dota than Hots.

Also makes for real good spectating, this year's TI was probably the best ever.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Super Rad posted:

I've played all three of the mobas you listed and I honestly have no idea how league exists or is the most popular of the three

first out the gate (as not a map in a prior game) and has the most anime tits to jerk off to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Lmao at that goon missing the jungle. I've been away from some time but it's time to dotes. I've read that Riki is a strong pick but I'm about to end his assassin career with my strong man Gondar the booty hunter.