Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

They also did a nice commentary video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN_Sf1bkXLo

Turns out that giving Doctor Who a try can make you a fan, who would've thunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

what are some good big finish 7th stories, mccoy is awesome

Colditz (Tennant is the bad guy!)
Bang-Bang-A-Boom if you hate Eurovision almost as much as you hate yourself (I have no taste)

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Hi. I'm not a British fan. What's the new doctor's accent? Its like a young Iris Wildthyme.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Hi. I'm not a British fan. What's the new doctor's accent? Its like a young Iris Wildthyme.

It's a Yorkshire accent.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Like New York and the entire New England area, you have too many accents for how small you are.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I really like LIVE 34

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I think you can't go wrong if you just listen to all the 7/Ace/Hex stories in order. It's a good arc.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Even though it's incredibly early in Big Finish, I really love The Fearmonger, it feels like it comes directly out of (the good parts of) McCoy's television era.

RED isn't a particularly good story (in fact it's pretty nonsensical) but McCoy just DEVOURS the scenery and the sound design and creepy AI voice is really great.

Rhyno posted:

Donna is probably going to end up being my all time favorite companion. She's just the best.

I can't ever say that in a world where Jamie and Sarah Jane existed, but she's right up there in the highest tier of companions :hai:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

A lot of ones I like (and a few I didn't care for) have been mentioned already. (The Fearmonger, Colditz, and Bang-Bang-A-Boom are particular favorites.)

Some others I like:

The Fires of Vulcan: A Pompeii story but it works completely distinctly from The Fires of Pompeii and it's a testament to the rehabilitative powers of Big Finish for the less notable companions, in this case, Mel.

The Harvest: The introduction of new companion Hex, and does some interesting things with a familiar foe.

Night Thoughts: Another one that feels like it could have been part of McCoy's TV era. It's reminiscent of Ghost Light (though not nearly as opaque).

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Hi. I'm not a British fan. What's the new doctor's accent?
horrendous

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
As an American who only watches the occasional brit show, I had no real problems understanding the majority of what everyone was saying.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Understanding Jodie's accent as Americans is helped by the fact that we've been listening to Game Of Thrones for years now.

Thanks Sean Bean!

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc
I watched the first season of GoT, back when it started, and that's it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

immoral_ posted:

I watched the first season of GoT, back when it started, and that's it.

That's the only one Sean Bean's been more than a cameo in, so you're good.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I've watched Vera and can understand at least 60% of it, the accents here are nothing in comparison.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

My mother has a really hard time understanding British accents, especially fast talking characters like the Doctor has been. She had a lot of trouble understanding Capaldi in particular.

She had no issue at all understanding 13. She really appreciated how clearly she enunciated everything.

Welp. That's my story about Jodie Whitaker's accent.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Shadow of the Scourge :colbert:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Chokes McGee posted:

Shadow of the Scourge :colbert:

This is evil and you should both feel bad.

Some ones that I like:

Colditz - contains a guest starring pre-Doctor David Tennant as well as an interesting character that will go on to be a companion later
The Harvest - written by Dan Abnett, introduces a new companion, feels a bit New Adventures-y without the clag that generally goes along with that feel.
Live 34 - some nice format tomfoolery here, the whole thing is presented as a radio broadcast that the Doctor and companions appear in bits of
A Thousand Tiny Wings/Survival Of The Fittest/The Architects of History - an arc brings back the character I mentioned in Colditz as a companion. I really don't want to spoil anything about this arc as I think they're probably the most interesting companion that 7 has had and it's very much all about them.

Oh, almost forgot

UNIT: Dominion - if there's any chance you haven't had this one spoiled for you at this point it'd be a miracle but it's great even if you have. An excellent turn from Alex MacQueen too.

Fil5000 fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 11, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Flip-Flop" makes pretty clever use of the audio format but the story itself has Some Problems.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Flip-Flop" makes pretty clever use of the audio format but the story itself has Some Problems.

It makes clever use of the physical double-disc format, but I'm not sure even that aspect of the story works that well in digital.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Jonny Morris is a decent dude and has written a lot of decent Who stuff but yeah, Flip Flop (and his first Big Finish, Bloodtide) are rough. Despite the fun with the format I'd skip it (and if you want a really good one by him I'd go with the 5th Doctor story Cobwebs).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Bloodtide" is pretty forgettable. Evelyn being excited to meet Charles Darwin was fun but that's basically the only detail I remember from the story at all.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

It's a very bland story. Especially as it's release was bracketed by Dust Breeding (which I very much enjoy) and Project: Twilight (which I can't really stand). And shortly after it you get Eye of the Scorpion and Colditz, so it's pretty easy to forget it even exists.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like Twilight just because I like the idea of a vampire who really wants to be Ronnie Kray.

I don't mind the Forge in general, though it's a bit tiresome when they keep trying to get Nimrod over as this ultimate badass everyone's scared of.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

There are a few plots with an alien trying to find a human trophy, it's so common. I just wish they'd do something fun and different with it.

I do like the suggestion someone made that the only reason they use Earth is a hunting ground is because of all the legends about countless failed alien invasions of Earth make them think humans are complete badasses.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Wash your mouth out :mad:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I can’t believed I confused RTD and Moffat. It’s like thinking Colin Baker is Sylvester McCoy!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I like Twilight just because I like the idea of a vampire who really wants to be Ronnie Kray.

I don't mind the Forge in general, though it's a bit tiresome when they keep trying to get Nimrod over as this ultimate badass everyone's scared of.

Yeah, I dislike Twilight by association with Lazarus and Destiny. The initial ideas I'm kind of fine with but I don't know whether it's the writing, the actor or the direction that makes Nimrod terrible.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

I can’t believed I confused RTD and Moffat. It’s like thinking Colin Baker is Sylvester McCoy!

I'm reminded of another forum I used to post on where one guy was asking, "Why did the President-elect go to meet the Toclafane?" and the answer they got was, "It happened because Moffat is an idiot!!!! :qq:" and it makes me wonder, how long will it be until people start blaming Chibnall for Moffat's stuff they don't like. :v:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

LividLiquid posted:

Like New York and the entire New England area, you have too many accents for how small you are.

On this topic, I feel it's worth pointing out that Jodie Whittaker's accent is from West Yorkshire. There's also a South Yorkshire accent which is VERY DIFFERENT.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
And a north yorkshire one

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

:aaaaa:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Weird, that took me a moment to recognise Alex Kingston.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

How on earth is Alex Kingston 55, and where do I get my own supply of Artron Energy? Or do I actually have to go to the gym or something?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I hated The Forge and I hated Nimrod, every time they showed up I think I powered a turbine with how much my eyes rolled.

That said, I have to admit loving the audio where halfway through a Colin Baker story, Sylvester McCoy shows up as 7 and just completely runs rings around Nimrod and effortlessly makes him look like a giant loving moron :allears:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

How on earth is Alex Kingston 55, and where do I get my own supply of Artron Energy? Or do I actually have to go to the gym or something?

It's like how Orla Brady is 57 but she does not look it.

Jerusalem posted:

I hated The Forge and I hated Nimrod, every time they showed up I think I powered a turbine with how much my eyes rolled.

The first Big Finish story I ever listened to* was "No Man's Land" where the twist in the end (sort of - it's not much of a twist) is that the Forge were behind the inciting incident in the plot.

However, you see, this was in 2006, when the main arc of the tv series was the Torchwood storyline in season two, so I assumed they were supposed to link together somehow. I'm not sure if the Forge is especially worse than Torchwood; I guess Torchwood gets to have a more equivocal position compared to the Forge.

* I still remember the first four I ever listened to were "No Man's Land", "Sword of Orion", "Red" and one that I think was more of an official BBC thing called "The Dalek Conquests", which was Nick Briggs narrating the history of the Daleks based on their television appearances with clips from the show. There used to be a BBC shop in Belfast City Centre; it's not there now but the street it used to be on gets loads of foot traffic these days whereas back then it was a bit out of the way.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Oct 11, 2018

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Fil5000 posted:

On this topic, I feel it's worth pointing out that Jodie Whittaker's accent is from West Yorkshire. There's also a South Yorkshire accent which is VERY DIFFERENT.

You're still being too broad. Someone from Sheffield in South Yorkshire is going to sound different to someone from Doncaster 15 miles away. But at least neither sound like they're from Barnsley, thank god.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wolfechu posted:

You're still being too broad. Someone from Sheffield in South Yorkshire is going to sound different to someone from Doncaster 15 miles away. But at least neither sound like they're from Barnsley, thank god.

I'm a Lancashire born lad who grew up in the East Midlands, it's all unintelligable vowel sounds to me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's nice that they've picked somewhere other than London.

Disclaimer: I don't really like London very much. It's too noisy, too crowded and too warm for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I was going to say we've had some diverse accents from the Doctor, but really that didn't kick in until 7. Since then though we've had Scottish, Liverpudlian, Lancastrian, two Doctors with Southern accents again, then Scottish and now West Yorkshire. We could do with a Welsh or Northern Irish Doctor next.