Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ishtar continues to elude me, but I did finally pull a +ATK -SPD Reinhardt so there's that I guess

Also he was 4* so my pity-rate didn't get broken (my third Delthea sure took care of that a few days ago though :mad:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Also this month's Three Heroes quests are great because I finally got my 11th ATiki just by killing something with something :toot: I had to blow my last 20K feathers on the new Reinhardt though so 5*+10 will have to wait, alas~~~

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

Emalde posted:

Believe in the Spirit of Halloween :spooky:

Congrats!

As for my own trip report, +Atk/-Res Myrrh in 19. She and B!Ephraim are going to have a lot of fun next arena season.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I got Mia on my first summon, and Niles on my second...

Still no Eirikas though. :v: I guess I can just snipe for reds now!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Dorcas I'm not sure sick people are supposed to get candy

also in 68 orbs of almost exclusive 5 pulls(I aborted when I got a 5 star with no pity rate, not sure if the math is actually right there) I got a redundant Hardin and my first 5 star Soleil :geno:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Extra Hardins are good to pull, that's an extra Bold Fighter

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

loquacius posted:

Extra Hardins are good to pull, that's an extra Bold Fighter

I have three Hardins and I hate player phase armors

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
So far I’m two for two on abyssal GHB clears with Celica and three dancers. I love how ridiculous the Ragnarok refine is.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
At least bold fighter is universally useful. Don't know what to do with an extra guidance.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
I beat up Abyssal Robin for her solid gold hand towel. ...This is a really lovely hand towel.

In other news, the Halloween banner gave me absolutely nothing. No 5* units, not even something for my merge projects. I know I probably shouldn't have expected much from 60 orbs, but this still sucks when everyone here talks about the banner being blessed.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
not blessed, it's poo poo.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I dunno about you guys but a bright yellow towel doesn't make me think of gold, it makes me think the puppy had an accident

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
lol that spoopy myrrh literally says "om nom nom" when i give her swap and aether :allears:

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I got a -Atk/+Hp Halloween Myrrh which still has 51 atk so its not a huge deal but if I'm eating an attack bane, I wish the boon would be in something more useful like res at least

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

For an arena defense Halloween Myrrh, would you guys recommend sticking with Bonfire? Or should I give her the aether? I've also got a +5 5 star Nowi with Aether that I may be able to run with her.

My dragon emblem defense team thus far is H!Myrrh and L!Tiki, so I probably need to get my hands on a male Grima, but I can probably make something work with Nowi, young Tiki, Fae or female Grima.

Also how do skill tomes work? If I were to for instance burn B!Ephraim into one, would that set special fighter into a tome that I'd just equip to whichever unit needs it atm? And then re-equip it to other units?

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

Butt Ghost posted:

Also how do skill tomes work? If I were to for instance burn B!Ephraim into one, would that set special fighter into a tome that I'd just equip to whichever unit needs it atm? And then re-equip it to other units?

Combat Manuals work just like regular skill inheritance - they can be ranked up with feathers, and once you use them, they're gone. They're really just so you can save Barracks space.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Oh I see. I was hoping you could use them to keep rare skills archived so you wouldn't have to pull the same seasonal 5 star.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Butt Ghost posted:

For an arena defense Halloween Myrrh, would you guys recommend sticking with Bonfire? Or should I give her the aether? I've also got a +5 5 star Nowi with Aether that I may be able to run with her.

It's Arena defense who cares, all you need is someone to mess up against you once.

Now if you're trying to score points for your offense team then you definitely want Aether.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Kagero complete. Probably gonna sub her out for Zelgius in my Armors if I get Myrrh, or Grima if I don't.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I got a Myrrh in 150 orbs with no other units to speak of, but she's the pitiful -DEF +SPD nature. At least it's a superboon for scoring purposes. I was given the idea to use Armored Blow as her A-skill as a silly budget option to increase her DEF on player phase where the effect of Spirit Breath matters most, so I'm going to see how it goes and report back.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i had a spare ares lying around so i just gave mine brazen atk/def

also i almost butterfingered her SI so she would have only inherited sol instead of aether :doh:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Elyv posted:

It's Arena defense who cares, all you need is someone to mess up against you once.

Now if you're trying to score points for your offense team then you definitely want Aether.
I'm not sure what you need to make the most out of a defensive team is the thing. From what I understand you want either a gimmick team or an overpower team, and I'm going for the latter. And from what I understand with the latter, your best bet is to go either armor or dragon, due to having high BSTs.

Edit: I'm not sure if I have a full set for dragons or for amors, but maybe I could jam Halloween Myrrh, Legendary Tiki, Brave Hector and Brave Ephraim into a team in try that.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 10, 2018

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

i love how dorcas just cannot get what Niles is on about and wanders off for the finale
he just wants to be back with his wife

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Butt Ghost posted:

I'm not sure what you need to make the most out of a defensive team is the thing. From what I understand you want either a gimmick team or an overpower team, and I'm going for the latter. And from what I understand with the latter, your best bet is to go either armor or dragon, due to having high BSTs.

Edit: I'm not sure if I have a full set for dragons or for amors, but maybe I could jam Halloween Myrrh, Legendary Tiki, Brave Hector and Brave Ephraim into a team in try that.

I feel like armors are usually pretty bad for defense because the AI is really stupid with using them and it's easy for a human player to separate and bait them on most maps

Annoying poo poo to increase your chances of getting a defense win include using a dancer (don't put them as the lead unit so they don't seem them when selecting your team), Wings of mercy, guidance/flier formation fuckery (especially if they're lazy about checking skills), or having 4 units of the same color. A large part of it is really just luck though. My defense team is the same as my offense team so the only thing changing is the bonus unit every 2-3 weeks. Some weeks I get 10+ defenses overnight, other weeks I don't get a single defense until saturday.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I think you're supposed to have armors with distant counter or a weapon with an equivalent and a way to guarantee doubles. My current defense team is just my offense team, which is a particularly broke Ayra and Nowi along with Delthea and Axe Azura. I get one defense most seasons, but its definitely not optimal. Ranged units are supposed to be pretty bad for arena in general, so I'm guessing Delthea is useless there. Ayra has distant counter and Nowi has lightning breath. Azura isn't too pimped out, but she has wings of mercy and is pretty tanky for a dancer as is.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
personally, my main concern when facing armor teams is whether my bonus unit can get the killing blow and not whether I can beat the team, but if you think that'll work for you and you have the hectors to spare, go for it

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Sometimes bulky DC enemies can be a huge pain, but I am always surprised at how well random bonus units can handle the latest powercreeped armors with the right support and the bonus unit extra stats. The real key to defense wins is movement BS. Guidance, :wom:, dancers, and all the other fun movement bullshit skills are the real key to defense wins, because people are bad at the tactics part of Fire Emblem.

There's a world of a difference between the average player, and someone who can clear abyssal F!Robin with a unmerged 1* Felicia and three dancers.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 11, 2018

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Oh my god.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I would just out your arena team as your defense team too. Anything else is overthinking it these days imo.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!
Got leif and broy from the halloween banner in two pulls so its actually a steady blow banner

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

stuff like this makes me regret binning and/or promoting those 1*/2* because i will never get a chance to even try something this dumb

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Decided to roll on the Muspell banner again (already got Laevatein earlier in +DEF/-RES flavor), got a +RES/-SPD Sylvia and a +RES/-HP Laegjarn. Nice to have a backup red flier on hand, although Sylvia unfortunately sounds like she's combat manual material. I guess I could pass Deluge Dance to my PA!Inigo since he runs on a team that benefits from a speed/resistance boost due to their IV spreads. But, then there's the Barrier Blade that would be a nice thing to have on a unit. I need to think this over.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Oh cool, we've got a revival for the M!Kana GHB coming up. I 5 starred, multi-merged and built up a Nowi-like load out for the little dude, and he's great! He's probably second only to Ursula for the GHB unit I've gotten the most use out of. I'll gladly take another merge for him.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Abyssal Ursula was Narcian-levels of easy, which was surprising, but probably because I just happened to have the perfect counters to a lot of what was being thrown at me. My DC Draug ruined the lower ninja and the Great Wall of Sheena (with an Axzura buff) dominated Ursula and her horse buddies that came through the choke. Then it was just a case of Swapping between her and Draug depending on what came at me. Veronica was also there and healed once, though I doubt she would have been needed.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Yeah I think Abyssals need reinforcements to be really hard. I just shoved Fae in there with some support and it was easy.

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
Nice, free rolled a Dorcas. I've never built up a reliable Infantry Axe unit. I have a B!Ike, but I never really use him. +HP, -Spd. Perfect for Infantry Pulse.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

I have no idea where to take this from here.

EDIT: the answer was exceedingly stupid

Onmi fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Oct 11, 2018

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

golden bubble posted:

Sometimes bulky DC enemies can be a huge pain, but I am always surprised at how well random bonus units can handle the latest powercreeped armors with the right support and the bonus unit extra stats. The real key to defense wins is movement BS. Guidance, :wom:, dancers, and all the other fun movement bullshit skills are the real key to defense wins, because people are bad at the tactics part of Fire Emblem.

There's a world of a difference between the average player, and someone who can clear abyssal F!Robin with a unmerged 1* Felicia and three dancers.

That's basically the strat I used only with different units.
Use Nino and Olivia to take a potshot at one axe unit and retreat.
Then plop a decently tanky red unit without a weapon in front of the enemies and plink away with L' arachel who is using her weakest weapon and a savage blow 3 sacred seal.
Poke away at the units till they're all weak and have Nino mop them up.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I don't think I have a unit to tank Ursula and the Green Tome. No 5 Star Fae, no Leg Hector.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Did Ursula Abyssal. Thought I was done for until a timely switch to Brave spear on Cordelia revealed that she could sweep most of the map on her own.