Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Remember the Master Ball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Everyone cheated to get the Safari pokemon in Gen 1. Everyone.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
how else are you supposed to catch kangaskhan

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Excuse me. I cheated on a single thing back in gen 1: acquiring Mew via Game Genie/Game Shark, because you couldn't get him at the time any other way. I caught all 150 of the rest of them LEGITIMATELY :colbert:

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Macaluso posted:

Excuse me. I cheated on a single thing back in gen 1: acquiring Mew via Game Genie/Game Shark, because you couldn't get him at the time any other way. I caught all 150 of the rest of them LEGITIMATELY :colbert:

Same except I did it repeatedly and sold them to kids at school in order to fund a meat pie habit.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkpDlJiWo7s

I can only imagine a 3DS catching fire if they tried to do this.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Licarn posted:

Everyone cheated to get the Safari pokemon in Gen 1. Everyone.

If I recall correctly, there was a simple way to get unlimited steps in the Safari Zone. If you turn the direction you're facing, but didn't move from the spot you were standing on, it would count as a step for encounters but not towards the stop limit for the Safari Zone. As long as you just rotated and place in that one spot you had unlimited time. Walk to the area you wanted to catch in, and you were set.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I think I went into the Safari Zone to catch Pokemon one time and then never went back because it was stupid and annoying

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

question, are there any giveaways right now? I need to bike

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dehry posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkpDlJiWo7s

I can only imagine a 3DS catching fire if they tried to do this.

I really can't not get the Eevee edition, lookit that lil doggo.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dienes posted:

If I recall correctly, there was a simple way to get unlimited steps in the Safari Zone. If you turn the direction you're facing, but didn't move from the spot you were standing on, it would count as a step for encounters but not towards the stop limit for the Safari Zone. As long as you just rotated and place in that one spot you had unlimited time. Walk to the area you wanted to catch in, and you were set.

HAHA that's right! I remember doing that. good times. I'm sad I'll never get that same sense of initial wonder and excitement from Pokemon as I did when Red and Blue first came out when I was a kid.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

iospace posted:

Reshiram at Target through the 19th in the US is the only active one right now I think.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Dienes posted:

This works in FRLG but not in RBY. Best way to cheat the safari zone in RB is to get to talk to the old man in Viridian, go to the area of Safari with whatever you need, run out of time, fly to Cinnabar and use the coast so you can use whatever ball you want on them.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Oyster posted:

This works in FRLG but not in RBY. Best way to cheat the safari zone in RB is to get to talk to the old man in Viridian, go to the area of Safari with whatever you need, run out of time, fly to Cinnabar and use the coast so you can use whatever ball you want on them.

You can skip the step where you talk to the old man. How the glitch works is that Cinnabar/Fuschia/seafoam do not have a "land" encounter table so the coasts on cinnabar/seafoam use whatever table was loaded last. Talking to the old man sticks your player name into the encounter table, which causes the missingno glitch because most letters have an index higher than hex 97. (decimal 151)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/BalrogGameRoom/status/1050169747910873088

truly the maximum use of the switch's capabilities.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
My favourite way to get Kangaskhan was to catch one of MISSINGNO's variations (there's one that shows up as level 0). To do this you had to only have 5 pokemon in your party because trying to take it out of the box would freeze the game. Then you give it a rare candy, it goes to level 1 and evolves into Kangaskhan because why wouldn't it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

notthegoatseguy posted:

Reshiram at Target through the 19th in the US is the only active one right now I think.

Alright, I'll be code hunting tomorrow!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Man, the developers of Pokémon have really mastered the art of making things cute.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

I hate how many people are in the replies going "how does pokemon still look like this" when it, in fact, doesn't still look like that and gen 7 looks so much better. The grid-based map and movement in Let's Go is really misaimed appealing to nostalgia.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Amppelix posted:

I hate how many people are in the replies going "how does pokemon still look like this" when it, in fact, doesn't still look like that and gen 7 looks so much better. The grid-based map and movement in Let's Go is really misaimed appealing to nostalgia.

I’m just staring at the person dumping on the DexNav and wondering what their issue is

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Um, NPCs in Alola in cutscenes still move like that, too.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yes, but that's not the only issue with let's go's visuals, as I'm sure you'll agree. The scenes in gen 7 also have some actual cinematography which usually hides that.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Honestly that's one of my big hopes for Gen 8. Less canned animations, less flashing to black and telling you what happened because they didn't feel like animating it. Make it like, you know... a modern RPG.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Dragon Quest is really putting Pokémon to shame in how you modernise a classic RPG while keeping it classic. Well outside the music anyway.

So does anyone think the Meltan video was hinting at all about the next main game's region? The decor looked kind of northern European?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

notthegoatseguy posted:

This starts on the 19th according to pokemonlegendary.com

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

iospace posted:

Just load up a bunch of un-hatched eggs and bike around in a circle!

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013

Amppelix posted:

Yes, but that's not the only issue with let's go's visuals, as I'm sure you'll agree. The scenes in gen 7 also have some actual cinematography which usually hides that.

Yeah, they did a fairly good job of hiding the robotic movements in Sun and Moon.

Whenever a cutscene calls for a bunch of NPCs and the player to walk together as a group, the player always brings up the rear and arrives slightly later than everyone else. That's because NPCs have animations for walking at normal speed but the player only has that crazy fast power walk, which makes walking side by side with them impossible. They use tricks like camera angles and fading the camera in and out to hide it, so it's harder to notice unless you're looking for it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Crawfish posted:

They are finally offering a reward for taking part in this months online battle competition that's more interesting than 50BP.

Take part in it and you get a Shiny Mimikyu next month.

I will feed like I'm playing call of duty for the three required battles I guess.

What's the worst team I can put together to get this over with as fast as possible?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Shedinja learns Final Gambit.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

PassingPie posted:

Yeah, they did a fairly good job of hiding the robotic movements in Sun and Moon.

Whenever a cutscene calls for a bunch of NPCs and the player to walk together as a group, the player always brings up the rear and arrives slightly later than everyone else. That's because NPCs have animations for walking at normal speed but the player only has that crazy fast power walk, which makes walking side by side with them impossible. They use tricks like camera angles and fading the camera in and out to hide it, so it's harder to notice unless you're looking for it.

This makes me want to see one of those "Boundary Break" videos for Sun and Moon to see what kinds of tricks the camera is doing beyond where the player can't see.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Alxprit posted:

This makes me want to see one of those "Boundary Break" videos for Sun and Moon to see what kinds of tricks the camera is doing beyond where the player can't see.

I remember someone doing that and discovering that your house has a bathroom and modeled the inside of your garage, despite the fact that you can't access either of those places in the game.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Alxprit posted:

Honestly that's one of my big hopes for Gen 8. Less canned animations, less flashing to black and telling you what happened because they didn't feel like animating it. Make it like, you know... a modern RPG.

Yeah but that would take actual effort and why should they?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

A Sometimes Food posted:

Dragon Quest is really putting Pokémon to shame in how you modernise a classic RPG while keeping it classic. Well outside the music anyway.

So does anyone think the Meltan video was hinting at all about the next main game's region? The decor looked kind of northern European?

You mean the video titled "UK: New discoveries?" My gut says it takes place somewhere British.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Okay I'm giving up on catching this dumb dog in fire red, moving onto Platinum!

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want branching storylines and multiple factions to join

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Licarn posted:

My favourite way to get Kangaskhan was to catch one of MISSINGNO's variations (there's one that shows up as level 0). To do this you had to only have 5 pokemon in your party because trying to take it out of the box would freeze the game. Then you give it a rare candy, it goes to level 1 and evolves into Kangaskhan because why wouldn't it.

IIRC m’s evolution was determined by your players name

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You mean the video titled "UK: New discoveries?" My gut says it takes place somewhere British.

No that just refers to the trailer itself, the official YouTube channel always uploads both UK and USA versions of trailers. Presumably because of spelling differences.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

less laughter posted:

No that just refers to the trailer itself, the official YouTube channel always uploads both UK and USA versions of trailers. Presumably because of spelling differences.

Yeah that was my assumption.

I was more thinking the decor, lighting and the bowl of crusty bread said like Germany or Scandinavia?

Which wasn't my guess (my money was on Aus or Brazil, going off the pattern of places with lots of Japanese tourism and expats) but would be cool.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yikes! They translated the grid-based movement extremely literally. It's sad seeing that after Sun and Moon proved that they can use some actual cinematography effects to make interactions look more natural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
The true legendary bird trio