Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

jimmyjams posted:

lol so if you use an exchange your butts are literally in someone elses wallet

nuh uh

tether dollars totally backed by real dollars

-roger ver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

You also have to use exchanges to do any volume of transactions with bitcoin because bitcoin's blockchain protocol physically cannot handle that amount of transactions and has gigantic fees associated with each transaction. The entire exchange system would be completely unworkable if they relied on bitcoin wallet to wallet transactions. Currency of the future!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

comedyblissoption posted:

You also have to use exchanges to do any volume of transactions with bitcoin because bitcoin's blockchain protocol physically cannot handle that amount of transactions and has gigantic fees associated with each transaction. The entire exchange system would be completely unworkable if they relied on bitcoin wallet to wallet transactions. Currency of the future!

look at this wagecuck who has never sold for a bag of amazon giftcards

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

comedyblissoption posted:

Well you see the difference is that now the bitlords are what they imagine the Federal reserve to be.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
I still don't have internet at home, but I finally posted new blog content! Someone assigned my book for a course, so I did a video answering student questions. (I was gonna do it live, but no internet dammit.) Watch me mumbling on webcam!

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

divabot posted:

I still don't have internet at home, but I finally posted new blog content! Someone assigned my book for a course, so I did a video answering student questions. (I was gonna do it live, but no internet dammit.) Watch me mumbling on webcam!

I also recommend your book (as additional reading) for my internet regulation course. It’s a brilliant insight into failures of technology regulation. :)

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/Bitfinexed/status/1047244417843834880

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

So if I understand well the price of bitcoin have stabilized in the last 2 week or so because people are trading tether and bitcoin back and forth?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6OgtzhjpGE

me ranting at a bunch of comp sci staff and students why blockchains are ridiculous bs for idiots. blog post with slides.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

My favorite part of this is if you look at the buy orders you only need to sell 173,000 of them to drive the price to 0. I would guess that you wouldn't even need to sell that many to trigger some dumb algos to do the rest of the work for you.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

tether btc buy orders at 5570, 4830, 4390 :zzz: wake me up... when september ends :yawn:

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

ghosTTy posted:

tether btc buy orders at 5570, 4830, 4390 :zzz: wake me up... when september ends :yawn:

"Oh poo poo." ghosTTy mumbled, reading the potential exploit, "They're right, I should go prop up Tether then smugpost."

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/juliarubin/status/1049828078279684096

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

Waffle House posted:

"Oh poo poo." ghosTTy mumbled, reading the potential exploit, "They're right, I should go prop up Tether then smugpost."

not sure if you understood me, someone will trade me bitcoins for 5570 USDT per bitcoin sometime in the next few weeks

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
I HAVE INTERNET AT HOME AT LAST, MY NIGHTMARE OF MOBILE DATA IS OVER

so I'll be writing a news bits post then. What's the dumbest poo poo in crypto in the last week? (With link if possible.)

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

ghosTTy posted:

if bitcoin goes below 6k it's over and none of us will make it

ghosTTy posted:

not sure if you understood me, someone will trade me bitcoins for 5570 USDT per bitcoin sometime in the next few weeks

ghosTTy posted:

if bitcoin goes below 6k it's over and none of us will make it

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ghosTTy posted:

Someone sold me some poop and I paid $5570 per nugget. What a deal!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Wait, can you buy drugs with poop now?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

poverty goat posted:

Wait, can you buy drugs with poop now?

Well somebody's gonna be a drug lord soon!

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Tether continuing to not look too hot.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

MrUnderbridge posted:

Well somebody's gonna be a drug lord soon!

*starts printing out all my posts

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Is tether worth less than a dollar now? Doesn't that gently caress up the whole system? That one exchange has one dollar for every tether, so they've just made enormous profit?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

divabot posted:

I HAVE INTERNET AT HOME AT LAST, MY NIGHTMARE OF MOBILE DATA IS OVER

so I'll be writing a news bits post then. What's the dumbest poo poo in crypto in the last week? (With link if possible.)

Lol

This guy “debunks” bitcoin and he doesn’t even have an internet

Just smh...smdh...

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Lol

This guy “debunks” bitcoin and he doesn’t even have an internet

Just smh...smdh...

I browse the world wide web using blockchain technology!

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

ilmucche posted:

That one exchange has one dollar for every tether
lmao. as true now as it was when it was "we got 'hacked' so uh take these coins we just made up instead of bitcoin or money"

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

ilmucche posted:

Is tether worth less than a dollar now? Doesn't that gently caress up the whole system? That one exchange has one dollar for every tether, so they've just made enormous profit?

It's even more obvious than that, they already stole every dollar and bitcoin and there never was a dollar for every tether.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

ilmucche posted:

Is tether worth less than a dollar now?

Ignoring the fact that the real worth, $0, indeed is below $1, tether almost always has been below $1 but tether exchanges typically also have a higher price for butts than dollar exchanges (comparing butts/tether directly with butts/dollar like a chad captain of industry butter). Typically only tether exchanges have the more suspicious cryptos, so you can only get money out by transferring butts to a “good” exchange, where you have to sell your butts for fewer dollars than you paid in tether, so it all evens out.

If the markets were fluid, the price of a butt on a tether exchange would be the price on a “good’ exchange divided by the price of a tether in dollars, but they are not, so it is not.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
6k?

NEED... MORE.... ... ENERGY....

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

ghosTTy posted:

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Are traders selling butts to meet their stock margin calls? Hope they weren’t leveraged in butts as well!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pawn 17 posted:

Are traders selling butts to meet their stock margin calls? Hope they weren’t leveraged in butts as well!

Dow lost a few points today.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/07/im-very-sorry-but-youre-going-to-have-to-learn-to-love-the-blockchain/

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"Yes technically blockchains are completely useless but what if we used them anyway then you'd have to get used to them. And get this in an unregulated market power tends to centralize like the Internet is doing now, what if instead we used blockchains which are totally unregulated and alsoball their current applications are centralizing"

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 11, 2018

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOPlK10Rcdk

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
"decentralized?" oh... you meant to say "blockchain". common mistake
hold on a sec i have to submit this article to techcrunch. brb

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/crypto/status/1050295900327858176

Lambert