Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mister Facetious posted:

Out of curiosity, what do you find hard about Zelda 2? I've never had an issue with it.

I love Zelda 2 and it might be my favourite NES game, but I think the 'it's too hard' complaint comes from it not telling you specifically where to go next, so a lot of people go the wrong way, thus making the game super hard.

I agree though that, aside from the fokkhas in the Great Palace (and the size of the palace to begin with), the game is pretty much fair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I love Zelda 2 and it might be my favourite NES game, but I think the 'it's too hard' complaint comes from it not telling you specifically where to go next, so a lot of people go the wrong way, thus making the game super hard.

So... it really is the Dark Souls of Zelda games :hmmyes:

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Huxley posted:

Hell yeah my man, effort post like hell on this because it took me like 5 tries to even hit a ball this morning, let alone hit it something like straight.

Okay u got it bro!

Swing Guide
NES Open Tournament Golf, in my view, is a game of tempo memorisation.

For the most part, at the Fast (and even Medium) swing speeds, the arrow meter is difficult to keep track of visually, especially on the downswing. It's super quick.

This means that to be a good player, you can't rely on your eyes alone. You'll need to figure out how the tempo of your button presses works. As will I (hopefully) explain below, this is one of NES Open Tournament Golf's great strengths, as it is a game of rhythm much like actual golf is itself.

Try this for starters:

1) Set up with a 1-wood on the Fast setting.

2) Aim a good amount left of your target, as we're going to play a fade (left-to-right shot shape).

3) Press A to start your swing.

4) When the meter gets near to the top of the backswing, feel as though you make a very quick double-tap with A. If you get it correct, your first arrow will end up at or close to max power, and the second arrow will finish before the downswing target line.

Here I've drawn in an arrow in pink to demonstrate what a good fade result would look like:

5) Obviously, the quicker (or more to the left of the target line) the second arrow finishes, the more the ball will fade left-to-right.

Try and do this a bunch of times until you get used to the speed and rhythm of the timing.

There's a very good reason why you want to practice quick double-tap fades to begin with, and it's simply because from there you can adjust your tempo to get that arrow closer to the target line for a straighter shot. It is :siren:super important:siren: to understand that shot distance in NES Open is entirely based on the first backswing arrow. The second arrow only impacts curvature. You can absolutely smash the ball all day just hitting big fades, if that tempo suits your timing and style better.

A draw (right-to-left) shot shape is trickier to hit, as you'll have to allow that arrow to pass by the target line. There's a risk of being too slow with your timing, watching the arrow go through the very end of the meter, and missing the ball entirely. However, with practice a good player can pull these shots off also.

Irons and Advanced Mechanics
Iron shots offer the player a wider target line. This allows more of a visual timing element, especially on Slow-to-Medium swing settings. However, tempo is still super important.

For the most part, I use the Backspin 1 setting for my iron shots into the green. It generally gives the best control.

Backspin 2 is situational. On short irons, the ball can rip back and potentially spin off the green entirely. However, if I need to stop a long iron or fairway wood quickly on the putting surface, it can be a great option.

Topspin 1 and 2 give the ball an extra kick on the first bounce, which can be useful if you need to squeeze out that extra bit of distance.

Another impressive element to the game is how the the slow/medium/fast settings affect iron shot trajectory.

You'll be able to hit the ball higher with the fast setting, which should provide more potential backspin control on the green. However, the extra height also means the ball will be affected more by the wind, especially with the shorter irons and wedges. Wind speeds in NES Open Tournament Golf vary between zero-mph to 9-mph, and anything 5mph+ is going to affect the flight quite significantly.

As such, it's a good idea to use the slow or medium settings with iron shots, assuming the distance-to-pin allows for it. They will fly lower and be less susceptible to the wind. Also, note that holding UP on the D-Pad throughout the backswing will switch your ballflight to the LOW setting, and conversely holding DOWN on the D-Pad will switch that setting to HIGH. Using this is totally situational and requires practice / experience.

Chipping and Putting

Chipping is all about tempo. I almost always use the slow-to-medium speed settings on chips around the green (and for that matter, from 100 yards and in).

Through experience, I've figured out what I think is the best chipping method, so here's a general guide.

8 yards to 12 yards: SLOW setting. Three AS-FAST-AS-POSSIBLE button presses.

14 yards to 24 yards: SLOW setting. Three quick button presses (adjust tempo slightly depending on precise distance).

28 yards to 40 yards: MEDIUM setting. Three quick button presses (adjust tempo slightly depending on precise distance).

I use Medium setting for anything within the 50 yard - 100 yard range. Getting the timing down is mostly a matter of practice at this distance range.

For putting, I actually tend to use Medium or Fast setting, depending on the length of putt and slope. This is totally an individual thing though. Putting only requires two button presses, and two quick presses on Fast gets a good amount of distance for a wide range of putts, which I personally like. Experiment and find your style.

There's actually a whole lot more that I could into with NES Open, as it's a game with a surprisingly intricate physics model. I think this guide covers enough ground for newcomers though.
Let me know if y'all have any other questions. Happy golfin' !

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

I agree though that, aside from the fokkhas in the Great Palace (and the size of the palace to begin with), the game is pretty much fair.

Counterpoint: If you don't know to cheese the road to the Great Palace with the fairy spell you are in for a world of hurt.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

I like that about it but I am also too slow to be consistently decent at fighting things so I never got very far in Z2

...of course, I thought that about a bunch of the late-gate Hollow Knights bosses and I was able to keep trying and get through them in a recent playthrough so maybe I just need to try again...

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Man I can do shinespark no problem in Metroid fusion but super Metroid is a heck of a lot more finicky then I remember

Perhaps I have lost my gaming skills in the uh 10 years since I last played

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Okami is a great game to play drunk.

On a possibly related note, the final Blockhead can get fuuuuuuuucked.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Now do it, with a wiimote

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just knowing how XP and temple completion works in ZeldaII makes a massive difference in the game.

For those that don't know, ZeldaII has actual XP and level progression and one if the rewards at the end of every temple is giving you however much XP you need to level whether it's 5 or 5000, so you should often grind to a level up just before the boss then gain a whole level worth of XP for clearing the temple. If you don't, you'll probably be underleveled for the end game.

Leaving the 1ups (the weirdest thing about the game) until endgame is also extremely helpful, but obsoleted by save states.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

They've released the Kairosoft games on the Switch I see! Dungeon Village and Game Dev. Good fun games, but absolutely mobile phone games and not worth £9

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Octoling Amiibos are mandatory now

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Okami is a great game to play drunk.

On a possibly related note, the final Blockhead can get fuuuuuuuucked.

I have some good news about advances in cellphone technology since the original launch of Okami

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Homestar Runner posted:

Okay u got it bro!

This is awesome, thanks!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That knight getup is significantly cooler than the other "armor" options which all make me assume the player is ten years old.

I have no idea what to think about the mascot suit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The mascot suit is almost certainly immediately going to be associated with 'DOES THIS LOOK LIKE THE FACE OF MERCY'

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

where did these come from and where is the third one

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Bloop posted:

where did these come from and where is the third one

I don't think the third one is as good as the others

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Guy Goodbody posted:

You're right; it's far better.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

I mean, it's terrible but still should be posted.

I'm wondering about the balloons and if they are somehow part of the costume

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Save Me Mr Tako actually has a pre-order discount, from $14.99 to $9.99

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

You're right; it's far better.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Mascot head, octoling midriff shirt, swimfins

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

please tell me the witch outfits aren't amiibo exclusive

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Looper posted:

please tell me the witch outfits aren't amiibo exclusive

deoctofy yourself and face to inkshed

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

This is my experience except reversed. I like Zelda 2 a lot and hate the first Zelda. The original is too obtuse.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Isqj5nh8ag

These Starlink toys look good enough I kind of just want them as toys. Especially that arrowhead shaped ship. Looks like you can do some ridiculous configurations if you want.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Al Borland Corpse posted:

These Starlink toys look good enough I kind of just want them as toys. Especially that arrowhead shaped ship. Looks like you can do some ridiculous configurations if you want.

Man they do look kind of cool... so, what I'm seeing is that, you can swap the wings around on the toys (Like even granularly as swapping the wings to be backwards) and that changes the look in game? I'm curious if thats a benefit you only get from own the physical toy, or if you can reconfigure parts however you want digitally as well.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
It looks neat, I'd be all about it for sure if I was a kid.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Fancy Hat! posted:

Man they do look kind of cool... so, what I'm seeing is that, you can swap the wings around on the toys (Like even granularly as swapping the wings to be backwards) and that changes the look in game? I'm curious if thats a benefit you only get from own the physical toy, or if you can reconfigure parts however you want digitally as well.

You can do it digitally, but it is probably just nowhere near as cool.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wait, so it's full on build-a-spaceship? Welp, I'm sold.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The G-diffuser Arwing wings on that Starlink original ship look so loving cool

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm probably going to spend way more time playing with the spaceship toys than the actual game.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Little Mac posted:

This is my experience except reversed. I like Zelda 2 a lot and hate the first Zelda. The original is too obtuse.

Well I think it's acute game

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

The Bloop posted:

I'm wondering about the balloons and if they are somehow part of the costume

They aren't. The trailer states that the balloons aren't included.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I don't think I realized how big the toys were until right now

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Zelda 1 (the first quest) isn't all that obtuse if you have the small map book that came with the game.

Everything you need to beat the game is here, really.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Remember you were supposed to draw on that map in the upper left and right. And take it to school and share where you found secrets with friends cause you used the candle on every Bush in the game.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bombadilillo posted:

Remember you were supposed to draw on that map in the upper left and right. And take it to school and share where you found secrets with friends cause you used the candle on every Bush in the game.

I don't draw on my loving things but I definitely did the other parts

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Here’s the complete Zelda 1 manual if anyone wants it. Really wish the manuals were readable in the game like on 3DS.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clv/manuals/en/pdf/CLV-P-NAANE.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

my dad actually had those things laminated when I was a kid

I think we still have laminated copies of the FF1 monster charts

this one: https://skirmishfrogs.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Final-Fantasy-Enemies.jpg