Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Well, just saying Hanayamata is pretty undersells it. The anime has a good balance of comedy and drama, so it's a good rec coming off of the shows brought up earlier. Each of the five girls has their own struggles they're working through, and what Yosakoi means to them is an important part of the show. Insecurities aren't made light of or used just to be cute, they're put under the spotlight and one of the girls spends much of the show lashing out because of pent-up resentments and it's painful. The show treats the girls' frustrations and failures seriously which lends weight to the character growth and eventual catharsis. In retrospect, it's definitely a show handled by the Antarctica director. it's also super cute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

poo poo!! I thought I remembered it being a blow torch

well that's another one to watch this month

Just one? Make sure you watch all three in succession - imitate what the people at several Antarctic stations do for fun during the cold months.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Some of my thoughts on stuff this season:

Bunny girl seems to be a shameless monogatari rip off, but I like monogatari so I'll stick with it.
Run with the wind has promise, and a college setting is a nice change of pace from more highschool stuff, but I'm not at all compelled by the protagonist and his backstory.
Slime show is approaching my limit for cheesy videogame poo poo but I'll give it another few episodes.
Irozuku's protagonist was extremely boring, but the setting is interesting, so it's too early to call.
Bloom into You has a weird art style but I'm a sucker for romance so I'm looking forward to the next episode.
I agree with the thread on Zombieland saga. First episode was excellent, and it could be AOTS or it could be absolute garbage.
I turned release the spyce off after 5 minutes. The dialogue was just abysmal and it was all the parts of Princess Principal I didn't like.
SSSS Gridman was solid
Honda-san's humour didn't grab me, but humour is a subjective thing and I'm glad I gave it a shot.

All in all, there's a lot of promising stuff this season SO IT'D BE COOL IF WE TALKED ABOUT THAT AND NOT THE RAPE SHOW.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
No worries, compadre. That got its own thread so that whoever goons are into that particular show can discuss it at length.

One show I've seen mentioned a lot is Gridman and, while I know the basics (it's a revival of sorts from a 90's Toku show), I'm somewhat concerned: Do I need to have any knowledge on the OG Tokusatsu show or is it completely its own thing?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

:kimchi:

Cowboy hat was very good too. Love those wiggly ears

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Wark Say posted:

No worries, compadre. That got its own thread so that whoever goons are into that particular show can discuss it at length.

One show I've seen mentioned a lot is Gridman and, while I know the basics (it's a revival of sorts from a 90's Toku show), I'm somewhat concerned: Do I need to have any knowledge on the OG Tokusatsu show or is it completely its own thing?

It remains to be seen how much it will tie into the old show, but I've never seen the original Gridman or even Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad or whatever and I enjoyed the first episode. Given the time gap, I have to assume there will only be some throwbacks or references, not any direct connections.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My only exposure to tokusatsu was watching Ultraman as a kid and I definitely feel that Gridman captures the spirit. The kaiju even waddles like a guy in a suit.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gridman is a pretty obscure (relative to like, godzilla or power rangers) show that never really bloomed into its own huge franchise. It's a love letter to the original, but it's also a love letter to kaiju and tokusatsu in general. The only reason it's specifically Gridman is because the director loved Gridman as a kid. There's some callbacks, like the designs of the computers, but it doesn't seem to be any kind of direct sequel.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 11, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hell, then I'm in!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Whilst we're on the subject, I made a Gridman thread.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New threads added to the OP

quote:

Goblin Slayer
White Fox | Takaharu Ozaki | Hideyuki Kurata; Yousuke Kuroda | Action, Fantasy | Light Novel | Oct 7, 2018
A young priestess has formed her first adventuring party, but almost immediately they find themselves in distress. It's the Goblin Slayer who comes to their rescue—a man who's dedicated his life to the extermination of all goblins, by any means necessary. And when rumors of his feats begin to circulate, there's no telling who might come calling next...
PV
Thread

quote:

SSSS.Gridman
Trigger | Akira Amemiya | Keiichi Hasegawa | Action, Mecha, Sci-Fi| Tokusatsu | Oct 6, 2018
Yuta Hibiki awakens with amnesia and the ability see things that others cannot. He first encounters a Gridman in the reflection of his friend Rikka Takarada's computer and it tells him to "Remember his calling," but Yuta doesn't understand what this means. Later, in the distance, he sees an extremely large monster but it doesn't move. It's only when Yuta gets to school that the two sightings make sense: a monster attacks and the hero Yuta saw in the computer screen pulls him within the computer and transforms Yuta into a giant hero named Gridman.
PV
Thread

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Zombieland Saga Op pretty much has won opening of the season

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Zombieland Saga Op pretty much has won opening of the season
I'm not sure what I was expecting, but :agreed:

Rest of the ep was good too.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Made a quick thread for Zombieland Saga as I think it'll stay good - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3871248&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post488794328

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Just watched ep 1 and 2 of bunny girl senpai and liking it more than I thought I would

good chemistry and banter between characters helps a lot

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New thread :toot: :gibs:

quote:

Zombieland Saga
MAPPA | Munehisa Sakai | Shigeru Murakoshi | Action, Horror, Supernatural, Comedy, Idol, Music | Original | Oct 4, 2018
The anime follows Sakura Minamoto, who dreams of being an idol, but is hit by a car and wakes up as a zombie. A man named Kōtarō Tatsumi appears and tells her he's recruiting her into an idol group made up of zombies, dead girls he has "recruited" from several eras of Japanese history.
PV
Thread

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Crunchyroll posted:

A Certain Magical Index III

Territories: Worldwide ex. Asia

Maybe I'll watch after all

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/cheppoly/status/1050240259143929856

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/meekstape/status/1050118996568158208

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

There was a self proclaimed fujoshi in an art class I attended who was the most obnoxious in your face smelly kid in the class

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
physically smelly?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

physically smelly?

If you have to ask, you already know the answer.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

DisDisDis posted:

physically smelly?

Yeah she prided herself in not showering regularly also spent tons of money on thrift shop garbage like specifically buying a pair of gross sneakers because they looked like they had cum and blood stains on them.
On her birthday she screeched at me and my group to draw her gay Furry rainbow sparkledog OC, but now I'm just bashing some random outlier who I wish I could forget about

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Futaba Anzu posted:

There was a self proclaimed fujoshi in an art class I attended who was the most obnoxious in your face smelly kid in the class

Ya it's probably a bad sign when anyone proudly proclaims to be an otaku or a fujoshi or w/e in public

Knew a guy once who would call himself a tensai it was the fuckin worst

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That sounds like a crust punk a little bit too.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, can I mention just how much I dig that the MC in Hinomaru Sumo is this shorty 15-year old Sumo kid who uses "Washi" / 「儂」? Because that's cute as heck. :allears:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

as if the wsj boys sports series wouldn't be engineered for maximum gap moe

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
WSJ Sports Boy Gap Moe peaked early with Sakuragi.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Some of the worst people I know really like Goblin Slayer so I'm starting to feel like it's going to get much worse.

Knorth posted:

:kimchi:

Cowboy hat was very good too. Love those wiggly ears

the color in this is so good. :3:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
run with the wind is prob my fav new thing this season
https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1050551893070630912

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
the dog eyecatches are very good :3:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
attn: julias
I made a thread for cat ears
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3871286

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Nice :3:

quote:

Hora, Mimi ga Mieteru yo!
... | ... | ... | Comedy, Slice of Life | Manga | Oct 3, 2018
The cute story of the daily life between a guy and his cat-boy roommate.
PV
Thread

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Expect My Mom posted:

run with the wind is prob my fav new thing this season
https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1050551893070630912

It's definitely up there for me. Along with the dog, I think the ED is absolutely amazing (also it contains more dog).

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

where's the fansub of cat ear boy show? Google can't seem to find it.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Alder posted:

where's the fansub of cat ear boy show? Google can't seem to find it.

Hilariously enough, nyaa.si

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

tonegawa was finally hijacked by the kaiji s2 villain and it was weirdly heartwarming at the end. really curious where the show goes from there since there's still a bunch of s1 games for tonegawa to create but i'd honestly love more features on other villains like ichijo and muraoka.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

lol 420 new posts since i last looked, okay, maybe i'll skim them

edit: the above was a mistake

Agronox fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

boredsatellite posted:

Just watched ep 1 and 2 of bunny girl senpai and liking it more than I thought I would

good chemistry and banter between characters helps a lot

I just binged the manga for this out of curiosity (it was 21 chapters, I guess the anime is already up to chapter 18?) and it was a fun read (and not what I remotely expected).

The MC legitimately having a backbone and some level of charm was nice.