Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Farecoal posted:

please, the conflict is bad enough already!!

China's claim is actually pretty interesting, the region of Kashmir that they claim is basically the only spot in that region with decent roads and links together military bases on the Western frontier. Without that little slice of nothing, some of these bases won't have direct connections to each other and that's an obvious victory for India, which neither Pakistan nor China want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

Flavius Aetass posted:

If the point is to make the game less problematic and ahistorical, I'm not sure the assumption that there was anything natives could have done to prevent the plague is the right place to start.

Consolidated empires like the Aztec and Inca got hit hard by smallpox and ended up destabilized but the polity and population did endure, that's why Peru, Bolivia and Ecuador are like 80% ethnic native or mixed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm very use to Wiz dev diaries where he explains new features and why they are good, they're great marketing for getting you hyped because by explaining the reasoning behind a mechanic he's selling you the mechanic and thus the product. I don't understand why the Imperator diaries fail at this so hard. The point isn't to help people write the wiki before the game comes out by supplying them with a bunch of meaningless in-game statistics, it's to explain and sell the features and design of the game, thus building interest and hype.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Imperator is going to suck rear end as non Romans and be mediocre as the Romans until three expansions have come and gone at which point it'll be good.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

While I understand why Paradox choose to make losing to a rebellion to overthrow you a hard game over in Imperator, I kind of wish they'd put in something where after you have lost the game generates a save game, allowing you to drop back in an continue as any other country if you were so inclined (seeing how the world evolves has always been part of the fun of Paradox games for me) or it could pop up a message "you have been overthrown, game ove - continue as usurper/conqueror/save game/switch to observer/quit", or something like that, have it reset your score and disable ironman and achievements or whatever to give players some incentive to not give up to rebels.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Arrhythmia posted:

Imperator is going to suck rear end as non Romans and be mediocre as the Romans until three expansions have come and gone at which point it'll be good.

Yea I'll probably only put 200-300 hours into the base game at this rate.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Randarkman posted:

While I understand why Paradox choose to make losing to a rebellion to overthrow you a hard game over in Imperator, I kind of wish they'd put in something where after you have lost the game generates a save game, allowing you to drop back in an continue as any other country if you were so inclined (seeing how the world evolves has always been part of the fun of Paradox games for me) or it could pop up a message "you have been overthrown, game ove - continue as usurper/conqueror/save game/switch to observer/quit", or something like that, have it reset your score and disable ironman and achievements or whatever to give players some incentive to not give up to rebels.

Yeah, automatically switching to observer mode or (lol) ironman observer mode when you lose a Paradox game would be kinda cool.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Randarkman posted:

If they were covering the imperial era, I feel like they'd almost have to put in something to let you continue after losing a civil war or something, just because the Roman Empire saw so many emperors getting killed and replaced by the other dudes. For the Republic it's not quite as jarring.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

:hai:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

you joke, but that's about the spot where i decided hoi4 would never be for me.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Fellblade posted:

PC gamer preview that gives a bit more flavour to some of those numbers posts.

https://www.pcgamer.com/imperator-rome-is-much-more-than-just-crusader-kings-in-togas/

This got me more excited for the game than all the dev diaries combined

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I guess I:R might not be bad, but Johan is not a good writer? DDs could be definitely less dry.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

baw posted:

This got me more excited for the game than all the dev diaries combined

I don’t get it.

“Better to stop at the Republic because we do not want to do the empire badly...” followed by “oh, the player can transition to the empire early if they want.”

So in my brain this means:

1. Transitioning to the empire early ends the game; or
2. We are full of poo poo and are angling for a dlc.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
"Letting the player reform into a different, ahistorical form of government for fun" and "doing justice to a radically different time in history" are two very different things

(Disclaimer: I am not on the Imperator team.)

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
E:^b

I think they mean they don’t want to do that part where you control 90% of the map and have nothing to do badly (which happens to be when it was the empire), not that they don’t want to do justice to the government form itself.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

quote:

There's also a terrific zoom option that automatically fades out from a detailed terrain map to a flat political one as you zoom out.

:eyepop: That's what we've wanted all this time!!!

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

:eyepop: That's what we've wanted all this time!!!

It only took 17 games, 18 years, and 15000 dollars of DLC to come true!

I kid, somewhat.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Koramei posted:

E:^b

I think they mean they don’t want to do that part where you control 90% of the map and have nothing to do badly (which happens to be when it was the empire), not that they don’t want to do justice to the government form itself.

I mean despite the term Pax Romana, the empire period was anything but, and controlling the area immediate around the Med was far from the entire world, and I am talking the world had ‘borders’ with and fought constantly.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
fwiw the worldmap for IR seems to cover generally the same area as the worldmap for ck2, including India

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Pretty much, it's even a bit smaller. Not unreasonably, whatever weak justification exists for Iceland in the Charlemagne start is wholly absent for I:R, and there's not much going on in Finland and co., either.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I'm still skeptical about India being on the map after the mess it was/is in ck2. Hopefully they at least don't decide China needs to be here again...

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Pretty much, it's even a bit smaller. Not unreasonably, whatever weak justification exists for Iceland in the Charlemagne start is wholly absent for I:R, and there's not much going on in Finland and co., either.

I don't even really know why Iceland is playable in CK2, it was settled yes, but the people there basically were in general not involved in the politics of Europe on any significant level at all, the only connection really was trade and people from Iceland sailed west and temporarily settled Greenland and somewhere in Eastern Canada, and since netiher exploration nor colonization is of any importance in CK2 I don't really see any need for Iceland at all.

AnoHito posted:

I'm still skeptical about India being on the map after the mess it was/is in ck2. Hopefully they at least don't decide China needs to be here again...

India's primary problem in CK2 is that it has almost no interaction at all with Europe unless someone expands out of India, which is rare enough, if you play in Central Asia you interact a bit more with India. Starting as a Central Asian nomad and doing the Turkish thing and establishing yourself as a ruler in India is actually pretty fun.

I also kind of like the off-map implementation of the Chinese Empire they have going.

dead comedy forums posted:

Given how much experimentation and funsies went in CK2, Paradox could really go for a fantasy game with some of the character foundations and holy poo poo I want 10% in royalties

Maybe. Honestly though I think real history provides a better, more interesting and more diverse setting than some fantasy setting no matter how not-generic it is. It's actually why I really enjoy the Warhammer Fantasy setting alot more than a bunch of more original settings, because it unabashedly just takes 16th century Germany, Renaissance Italy, pagan Scandinavia and Medieval France, warps the map a bit and then dumps a bunch of myth (Arthurian romance for Bretonnia for instance) and fantasy elements on top of it.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 11, 2018

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

AnoHito posted:

Given how much experimentation and funsies went in CK2, Paradox could really go for a fantasy game with some of the character foundations and holy poo poo I want 10% in royalties

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Randarkman posted:

I don't even really know why Iceland is playable in CK2, it was settled yes, but the people there basically were in general not involved in the politics of Europe on any significant level at all, the only connection really was trade and people from Iceland sailed west and temporarily settled Greenland and somewhere in Eastern Canada, and since netiher exploration nor colonization is of any importance in CK2 I don't really see any need for Iceland at all.

They give me troops for my Orkney game. That’s all that matters.

P.S. I wish I had your av

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've always been fascinated by the Greenlandic colonies, I wonder what it would have been like to be the last Norseperson alive in Greenland.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Randarkman posted:

I think it's a simple matter of map projection. The island of Iceland was on the map anyway, so why not make it a small two county duchy? Icelandic rulers usually don't really interact too much with the rest of Europe in CK2 as well (apart from viking raids), and your PC won't be noticeably slowed down by the few characters the region generates.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

P.S. I wish I had your av

Sleazy Luke? Yeah, he's pretty great. Me and a friend randomly paused Star Wars once to get some food or something and it stopped on that frame, and he just looks like the skeeviest motherfucker.

Phlegmish posted:

I've always been fascinated by the Greenlandic colonies, I wonder what it would have been like to be the last Norseperson alive in Greenland.

Miserable probably. I've heard a contributing factor to the failure of the colony was the insistence of the colonists to bring cattle and sustain themselves on that, herding cattle was always seen as a particularly honorable livelihood in Germanic cultures, suitable for free men and a way to display your wealth (a concept borrowed heavily in King of Dragon's Pass), however that proved unsuitable for Greenland in the long run particularly as the climate worsened from the 14th century onwards, that is it got colder and colder and the island eventually became blanketed in ice.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 11, 2018

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

If it was anything like failing American colonies, the last survivors would probably give up trying to make it on their own and just join up with the natives.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like you could probably handle this by just allowing players to take ahistorical responses to said epidemics. Like the indiginous people had no idea what was coming in real life, but when you're playing as them you would, so you could take measures to blunt its impact by say, investing more in technological advances (especially things like epidemic control and medicine) to stop it before it starts, or at the very least, reduce its impact to be something you can recover from.

how can you prepare measures and technological advances to deal with diseases that you were never in contact with and won't be until your community is directly exposed it it?

This isn't developing gunpowder weapons while no one else had them, it's some tribal leader in the middle of Guatemala yelling about a devastating plague that will be carried over the seas by a new hostile people.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

dead comedy forums posted:

I would love Paradox's take on a fantasy game. A companion piece to Stellaris, like Master of Magic was to Master of Orion, ideally as you said with characters playing a major part.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

catlord posted:

I would love Paradox's take on a fantasy game.
My liege! The orcs have declared war on us with the Waaaagh!!!!! casusbelli.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Majesty 2 and Tyranny are already a thing though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Neither was particularly good. :(

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mans posted:

how can you prepare measures and technological advances to deal with diseases that you were never in contact with and won't be until your community is directly exposed it it?

This isn't developing gunpowder weapons while no one else had them, it's some tribal leader in the middle of Guatemala yelling about a devastating plague that will be carried over the seas by a new hostile people.

Yeah, honestly if you want to play on a map where the Americas' native people aren't wiped out by plague, and are therefore able to put up more of a fight when European invaders showed up, the best route is just an alt-history mod where they had more natural immunity/smallpox already existed in the Americas. Or just go full Sunset Invasion and make them more developed than the Old World.

Europeans didn't even accept germ theory until later, and while parts of India appear to have done some sort of innoculations using live smallpox virus hundreds of years before this game's time period, (which, as you'd expect, killed a lot of the people it was used on) the time necessary for any culture newly exposed to the virus to figure out what was causing the problem and then work on solutions was obviously far too long given the rapidity with which it spread throughout the continents.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

catlord posted:

I would love Paradox's take on a fantasy game. A companion piece to Stellaris, like Master of Magic was to Master of Orion, ideally as you said with characters playing a major part.

Depending on how Holy Fury's random world generation goes, that might not be too unlikely.

What always bugs me about CK2's supernatural elements is just how haphazard it all is. There's a weird assortment of random events that have no relation with each other, and then there's satanism, which has all these crazy abilities that don't fit with anything else. It'd be interesting to see what they'd do if they set out to make a supernatural setting from the beginning instead of just stapling it on.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Jeoh posted:

Majesty 2 and Tyranny are already a thing though.

both of them were by different developers and just published by paradox interactive.

paradox dev studios (the in-house developers of the paradox grand strategy games) were working on a fantasy RPG titled runemaster for a while, but they cancelled it a year-ish after announcing it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Poil posted:

Neither was particularly good. :(
Tyranny was good, fight me.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Terrible Opinions posted:

Tyranny was good, fight me.

:yeah:

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Sinteres posted:

Or just go full Sunset Invasion and make them more developed than the Old World.

Is there no mod for this already for EU4? Because it would be badass to invade Europe as the Aztecs. I've never played EU4 though. I've played CK2 to death and there are lots of really big mods and major overhauls for that game. Does EU4 have the same kind of modding scene?

There's a way to convert a CK2 game to EU4 right? What would that look like if you turned on CK2's Sunset Invasion and there's this huge Aztec Empire all over Europe and then convert it to EU4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ivan Shitskin posted:

Is there no mod for this already for EU4? Because it would be badass to invade Europe as the Aztecs. I've never played EU4 though. I've played CK2 to death and there are lots of really big mods and major overhauls for that game. Does EU4 have the same kind of modding scene?

There's a way to convert a CK2 game to EU4 right? What would that look like if you turned on CK2's Sunset Invasion and there's this huge Aztec Empire all over Europe and then convert it to EU4?

There is actually a special conversion rule if you convert from a game with Sunset Invasion enabled. It makes the Americas more or less completely under Aztec dominion, and back when tech levels by culture were a thing, it gave them a special one that put them on par with Europe.