Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I absolutely despise swamps. I look for seeds with as little as possible. But if you go to the site I linked to further up; many of the seed entries have screenshots of the map. I'm sure you'll find one that is suitably swampy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
The top-rated seeds on that site do not have swamp settlements. No swamps means it is harder to recruit cultists. Davkul would not be pleased.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Swamps aren't very well liked, so year i'm expecting to have to spent a while generating.

Gonna be great though. YOU GET A PATHFINDER. YOU GET A PATHFINDER. YOU ALL GET PATHFINDER.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
987fdb has lots of swamps, mountain ranges, deep forests and a relatively large snowy area in the north.
It's still not too terrible to travel because there are harbors everywhere.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

dogstile posted:

Swamps aren't very well liked, so year i'm expecting to have to spent a while generating.

Gonna be great though. YOU GET A PATHFINDER. YOU GET A PATHFINDER. YOU ALL GET PATHFINDER.

I'd hate a map where I have to waste a perk giving everyone pathfinder. And pathfinder doesn't fix the huge attack penalty for fighting in swampwater.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If they made pathfinder reduce the penalties for fighting in bad terrain as well as moving through it, that might actually make it worth taking.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

vyelkin posted:

If they made pathfinder reduce the penalties for fighting in bad terrain as well as moving through it, that might actually make it worth taking.

I usually take Pathfinder because it's annoying NOT having it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

The Lord Bude posted:

I'd hate a map where I have to waste a perk giving everyone pathfinder. And pathfinder doesn't fix the huge attack penalty for fighting in swampwater.

The enemies also have that penalty! Same with defence, so its a non issue unless they somehow have all solid ground.

vyelkin posted:

I'd like this, if you know how to move through a swamp you're certainly going to fight better than someone who doesn't.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

jokes posted:

Ditto. It's really, really handy being able to maneuver pretty much at will.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Pathfinder is still massively useful for swamp fights because it lets you to capture the advantageous ground before the enemy does. I find swamps useful actually. Just make sure to bring a lot of archers and nets.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Ditto. It's really, really handy being able to maneuver pretty much at will.

Especially if you're fighting, say, Bandits who are eating 3 AP poo poo in the woods while you beat them to all the choke points and establish pike and crossbow hell.

Until Man With A Crossbow, eternal nemesis of the Battle Brothers, pops out of a bush and domes a guy.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Especially if you're fighting, say, Bandits who are eating 3 AP poo poo in the woods while you beat them to all the choke points and establish pike and crossbow hell.

Until Man With A Crossbow, eternal nemesis of the Battle Brothers, pops out of a bush and domes a guy.

At which point you say 'Gee I wish I'd taken steel brow instead of wasting a perk giving my melee bros pathfinder.'

Like Seriously I think I would need probably 2 extra perk slots before I could find one to spare on pathfinder.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I have Steel Brow on everyone. Always. I know that fucker with a crossbow is around every corner.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah i'd probably just drop colossus and take pathfinder instead. Steel brow for all level 2 dudes. Always. No exceptions.

You only let one level 11 guy get one shot before going "wait no this is loving stupid" and make that rule.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

jokes posted:

Night10194 posted:

I have Steel Brow on everyone. Always. I know that fucker with a crossbow is around every corner.

Yeah, I kinda suspect the choice is "pathfinder if you reload bro deaths, steel brow if you're ironman" but it's been a while since I had all that in my headspace and I don't want to sit down and re-learn it all again until the DLC drops.

I recommend Pathfinder for everyone in my guide, but that's 1) a guide for new players and presumes reloading, and 2) it makes it easier for new players to keep everyone in formation, and they need the help because otherwise formation movement takes more planning and forethought.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 11, 2018

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I kinda suspect the choice is "pathfinder if you reload bro deaths, steel brow if you're ironman" but it's been a while since I had all that in my headspace and I don't want to sit down and re-learn it all again until the DLC drops.

Nah pathfinder is a level 1 perk, steel brow is a level 2 perk.

Unless you have an absolutely "must have" perk, you can just take both in that order.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Lol if you think Steel brow is enough to save you from marksmen. Any armor below 200 is not enough to stop those fuckers from wrecking a bro regardless of where it hits them. Which is sad because I love how decorative the mail hauberks are.

I like swamps when against brigs, undead and orcs. Brigands are simple enough to handle and undead and orcs suffer big time in swamps. Hate it against goblins.
I hate goblins in general because they always go first and you spend ten minutes at the start of every round waiting as they broadside you with a billion arrows, nets and bolas. It’s funny when overseers are offscreen because the game plays the whip sound really fast so it sounds like they are just machine gunning the whip at those gobbos.

If possible, I always fight goblins in high mountains or forests where their ranged bullshit is less effective.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I take Steel brow almost all the time.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

dogstile posted:

Nah pathfinder is a level 1 perk, steel brow is a level 2 perk.

Unless you have an absolutely "must have" perk, you can just take both in that order.

Yeah, I always make a little chart plotting everything out. One thing about this game is there's always a lot of competition for perk slots.

It isn't really necessary in this instance, but it reminded me -- one overlooked benefit of Student is that you can use it to effectively "push" the level requirements a bit -- there are a few builds that are only possible if you take Student early, then use the "refund" to buy a perk that you otherwise couldn't have bought (because it was too high level when you had an open slot). Effectively it allows you to take more "late game" perks.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There's nothing funnier than watching a goblin get hit by a crossbow.

I usually take 2 bow archers and one crossbow guy, just because I like variety and also one-shotting goblins through their lovely not-armor. And the crazy overseer crossbow is too awesome/stupid not to have a guy trained to use it.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I only take either Colossus or Steel Brow, and mostly I'll take Colossus because Puncture scares me far more than crossbow bolts, but yeah one of the two is almost mandatory for melee bros.
The only exception are Duelist builds because the bros going for that have high Melee Defense and I give them Quick Hands so they start with a shield and can always switch back to it when needed.

Night10194 posted:

And the crazy overseer crossbow is too awesome/stupid not to have a guy trained to use it.
One day I'll see a bro shoot someone off a cliff for lethal falling damage. One day.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

The Skeleton King posted:

Lol if you think Steel brow is enough to save you from marksmen. Any armor below 200 is not enough to stop those fuckers from wrecking a bro regardless of where it hits them.

I'd much prefer my bro's to be "severely injured" rather than "actually dead" though. Steel brow helps with that.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, I always make a little chart plotting everything out. One thing about this game is there's always a lot of competition for perk slots.

It isn't really necessary in this instance, but it reminded me -- one overlooked benefit of Student is that you can use it to effectively "push" the level requirements a bit -- there are a few builds that are only possible if you take Student early, then use the "refund" to buy a perk that you otherwise couldn't have bought (because it was too high level when you had an open slot). Effectively it allows you to take more "late game" perks.

You can also just not take a perk slot can't you? It only takes like 3 battles to get a bro to level twice.

I really like perk variety tho, i agree. If I have a tiny bro on the flanks (a popular early game choice for me) i'll give the fuckers crippling strikes, because they won't be doing that much damage, but they'll certainly have a little more survivability due to puncturing peoples hands, etc.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

dogstile posted:

You can also just not take a perk slot can't you?
No, new rows are unlocked by spending perk points.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Huh, i'm remembering wrong then. Student build confirmed edge case useful.

assuming everyone you give student to doesn't get bullshit killed by a series of 90% misses on attack and 10% hits on defence

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I give all my archers fearsome, because it's hilarious breaking orc lines before they hit your frontline guys.

Someone please tell me this is a terrible idea.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I just take student on everyone because I like the faster leveling and I love being able to take two perks at the end to complete whatever the bro's build is, otherwise I would have to plan more carefully ahead of time. For me it's usually Student-Steel Brow-Shield Mastery/Brawny (depending whether they'll be a shield bro or a two-hander in the end)-weapon mastery, then I start branching out more depending on the specific build for each. I find I don't actually take Colossus that frequently, though I often find myself wishing I had. It's just every time I'm picking a perk there's something I think will be more useful than a few extra hit points, even though I know that's more impacting than it sounds.

Later in the game when I have 200+ helmets I can give new bros right off the bat, I sometimes stop giving them Steel Brow in favour of other things.

If there's one tier one perk that I think is actually essential on just about everyone it isn't Colossus or Pathfinder, it's Recovery.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

I give all my archers fearsome, because it's hilarious breaking orc lines before they hit your frontline guys.

Someone please tell me this is a terrible idea.

It's a great idea. High initiative archers with fearsome and overwhelm are incredible because they're as close as you're going to get in this game to a wizard casting debuffs on the enemy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I play Ironman. I always get pathfinder, and then get the adrenaline rush thing (esp for dudes with low initiative but good fatigue) unless they're tanky-types who get steelbrow or Dodge (depending on their initiative). Then I get some sort of mastery, etc.

I also have lots of dumb problems so maybe I do something weird. Later on I grab student first then pathfinder because I don't like shelling out 4k for a dude who has poo poo traits.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

There are bros I don't give steel brow to. There are also bros I don't really care if they live or die, and I know I'll want to replace eventually.

Turns out these groups are roughly identical.

I really like student, but I also really like recovery on at least a plurality of my bros and especially the dudes who I give fatiguing weapons and send out to scavenge armor. That one's just so useful against any opponent that can wear you down with fatigue.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I'm sure someone's done the maths. What's the xp breakpoint where a bro with first perk student has as many perks as one without?

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I tried taking student for everyone in current playthrough, and I'm kind of underwhelmed to be honest. xp is not a bottleneck in this game, something I should have figured out by realizing how amazing wildmen are despite their xp gain malus. What matters is survivability during early and mid game, and if your bros are better in early levels that means picking more fights = more xp. That said I'd still consider it for an amazing bro I just picked during late game to get him up to others level quicker, or perhaps a bro with +xp gain trait.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I think, as stated, student really shines by letting you get two late game perks, rather than anything from the first line.

But I typically want something from almost every line, so gently caress if I know. I'll have to do some "fun builds" on a save scummy game.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

dogstile posted:

I think, as stated, student really shines by letting you get two late game perks, rather than anything from the first line.

But I typically want something from almost every line, so gently caress if I know. I'll have to do some "fun builds" on a save scummy game.

Yeah I'm regularly surprised by how often one of the two perks I take at level 11 is Recovery, which I could have just taken at level 2 but didn't.

On the other hand, you tend not to need Recovery until the late game when you're wearing heavy armour, in which case having Student helped you get there a little faster, which is nice.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I use student for either wildmen or bros with the dumb trait.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Dancer posted:

I'm sure someone's done the maths. What's the xp breakpoint where a bro with first perk student has as many perks as one without?

Seventh.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I mostly follow this guide:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1185230449

I don't know how good it is; but it feels better than anything else I've found. I don't use pikemen though. So 1h dudes get colossus - fortified mind - shield expert - brawny; Dudes good enough to be 2 handers get recover - steel brow brawny - weapon mastery. I figure guys with a shield need steel brow less because they have a higher ranged defence; and the AI tries to target bros with the lowest defence scores.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I tend to put Anticipation on anyone who doesn't use a shield and get them at least 10+ Ranged Defense. It helps make the AI spread out its targeting and prevent them getting shot all the time.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Night10194 posted:

I tend to put Anticipation on anyone who doesn't use a shield and get them at least 10+ Ranged Defense. It helps make the AI spread out its targeting and prevent them getting shot all the time.

Same, 10 ranged defence and anticipation is a must for two-handers in my opinion, otherwise they will inevitably get killed by some high initiative marksmen someday.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Probably plays into why I hate Adventurous Nobles so much. Though they can do fine as shield guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Oh you want a two-hand boi? Have his starter gear be a shield only, and give him quick hands. When he's in range, quick-hands and chop a dude.