Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Arivia posted:

Marvel Heroic Roleplaying (is the generic Cortex+ Superheroes ever coming out?) Hard as gently caress to find (you have to pirate it now basically), but very very fun and perfect. Only problem is that it'll feel a bit samey after awhile, but for a short to mid-length campaign, it's perfect.

Echoing this too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Countblanc posted:

honestly one of the best hammy superhero games is reskinned d&d 4e

To take that one further, use Strike!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I wanna use reskinned strike! to do a valkyria chronicles game...

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Why not just use fate for superhero games? It's specifically designed around narrative control and balancing superman, batman, and Commissioner Gordon all having the same amount of story impact

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'd recommend the Atomic Robo RPG. It's two-fisted action Fate that can (with a bit of fiddling) support full supers.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

bewilderment posted:

The Bull - uhhh Cyborg I guess, I didn't actually watch Teen Titans
The Transformed - Beast Boy
I feel like Cyborg is the quintenssential Transformed. Every story arc that focuses on him is usually about him being a robot and missing his humanity and whatnot. Very Transformed.

Beast Boy as he was in the cartoon basically does not work because he was almost always a joke character with no real arc, except maybe during the Terra thing. And even then, I'd say Terra was the main character and he was an NPC.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

paradoxGentleman posted:

I feel like Cyborg is the quintenssential Transformed. Every story arc that focuses on him is usually about him being a robot and missing his humanity and whatnot. Very Transformed.
... .

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Arivia posted:

Marvel Heroic Roleplaying (is the generic Cortex+ Superheroes ever coming out?) Hard as gently caress to find (you have to pirate it now basically), but very very fun and perfect. Only problem is that it'll feel a bit samey after awhile, but for a short to mid-length campaign, it's perfect.

From what I can tell Sentinels Comics (which has had its kickstarter delayed until January) is effectively MHRP 2e with quite a lot of improvements although no Marvel license and no buckets of dice. Unfortunately it's only a quickstart and a free PDF adventure currently out.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Coolness Averted posted:

Why not just use fate for superhero games? It's specifically designed around narrative control and balancing superman, batman, and Commissioner Gordon all having the same amount of story impact

I've had a couple fun light supers games, including one in Fate, but my most fun supers game was GURPS. It just depends on that perfect mixture of players and peculiar game guidance. Sometimes elaborate bullshit combos is where it's at.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Champions did a kickstarter for a new edition. The playtest document [PDF link] is free, might be worth checking that out.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

Champions did a kickstarter for a new edition. The playtest document [PDF link] is free, might be worth checking that out.

Unfortunately, Champions is in HERO System, which is drowning in it's own crunch.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

That Old Tree posted:

I've had a couple fun light supers games, including one in Fate, but my most fun supers game was GURPS. It just depends on that perfect mixture of players and peculiar game guidance. Sometimes elaborate bullshit combos is where it's at.

If you want a lot of crunch and bullshit combos, Mutants & Masterminds is another option for scratching that itch. Lots of modular power-building in that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Agent355 posted:

I don't know, I'm just scanning through the list. I just see lots of actions like comforting and persuading and stuff. I don't know how the rules actually function in play, it just seems to be covering a very different sort of super hero than somebody who is going to throw down with dr. doom over his moon laser. It's not the character archetypes themselves that seem squirrel girl but the system?

We're talking about the guy who's constitutionally incapable of getting over the travails and failures of his young adulthood, right? RICHAAAAAAAAARDS?

If you were brawling in re a moon laser you'd probably use, I dunno, Directly Engage a Threat and Unleash Your Powers, which are immediately above Comfort Or Support on the list you're looking at?

(Also, Persuade and Empathize are a) advanced moves which are really weirdly placed on that player aid and b) a couple of goddamn knives.)

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Wrestlepig posted:

Masks is pretty much the only good superhero system unless you like absurd random power generation and little else

I tell people the solution to the ultimate supers game is to run Masks but let players generate their powers using any other supers book they want. That way you can spend hours random rolling poo poo in the Marvel Superheroes Roleplaying Ultimate Powers Guide and after you generate an Amazing Rank Nemesis and Fantastic Energy Projection: Feet and what have you, you can just describe all that in a system where the balancing act isn't impossible.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

theironjef posted:

Fantastic Energy Projection: Feet

Quentin Tarantino to direct the next MCU movie

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Personally my favorite supers system is Double Cross, but it's not really meant for long games.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

theironjef posted:

I tell people the solution to the ultimate supers game is to run Masks but let players generate their powers using any other supers book they want. That way you can spend hours random rolling poo poo in the Marvel Superheroes Roleplaying Ultimate Powers Guide and after you generate an Amazing Rank Nemesis and Fantastic Energy Projection: Feet and what have you, you can just describe all that in a system where the balancing act isn't impossible.

I would play this in a heartbeat, ideally starting with the insane-power-generation step and then moving onto "okay, so... how did that happen? What's actually going on there? How does the character feel about it?" to pick a playbook.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

I would play this in a heartbeat, ideally starting with the insane-power-generation step and then moving onto "okay, so... how did that happen? What's actually going on there? How does the character feel about it?" to pick a playbook.

I've played it and it's great. Gets around one very minor weakness in Masks (really in nerds) which is that the suggested power sets on the playbooks are treated as scripture and a meta develops where if you see someone with like self-duplication you just go "okay, a delinquent" and that's a problem.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Beast Boy as he was in the cartoon basically does not work because he was almost always a joke character with no real arc, except maybe during the Terra thing. And even then, I'd say Terra was the main character and he was an NPC.

Beast Boy did have a thing with his adoptive 'family' being pretty dysfunctional and he's lazy and irresponsible partly because he's basically just gotten out of boot camp with the Doom Patrol and finally gets to relax. He's the most comfortable one with being a superhero. There should probably be a comic relief archetype. Though maybe that's Delinquent?

Cyborg generally has a few dimensions to his character; he's proud of his cyborg body and what he can accomplish with it, but also pained as he used to be an athlete who took pride in his organic body, but can't compete on the same level anymore. And a few episodes focus on his creations as much as his own nature, like the car one with Overload. (which has Raven smile!)

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Beast Boy did have a thing with his adoptive 'family' being pretty dysfunctional and he's lazy and irresponsible partly because he's basically just gotten out of boot camp with the Doom Patrol and finally gets to relax. He's the most comfortable one with being a superhero. There should probably be a comic relief archetype. Though maybe that's Delinquent?

Cyborg generally has a few dimensions to his character; he's proud of his cyborg body and what he can accomplish with it, but also pained as he used to be an athlete who took pride in his organic body, but can't compete on the same level anymore. And a few episodes focus on his creations as much as his own nature, like the car one with Overload. (which has Raven smile!)

If I remember right the books has lists of popular youngish heroes for each playbook. Transformed is Cyborg, Mettle, Beast, Hulk, and Rockslide. I remember thinking Rockslide didn't fit for the most part because he loves being a big rock dude.

And Cyborg is definitely a guy that can be a lot of them. He works fine as The Bull and the Protege too (depending on how connected he is to either his dad or Brother Blood in the story).

theironjef fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 11, 2018

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fool_of_sound posted:

Unfortunately, Champions is in HERO System, which is drowning in it's own crunch.

I played a game of HERO system and it didn't seem so bad? :blush: YMMV I guess

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
:siren: New blogpost for The Next Project is up!

A new draft of the core rules is finally out! Today's blog post discusses some of the changes that are in it, as well as touching on some of the plans going forward.

Most of these changes were instituted based on feedback from the last goon playtest, as well as those who just came along, read the doc, and commented with their thoughts and questions.
I appreciate everyone who contributed, and I hope this will encourage more people do to so in the future :)

If you're interested in talking about the game's designs, all goons are welcome to join the TNP Discord.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

theironjef posted:

If I remember right the books has lists of popular youngish heroes for each playbook. Transformed is Cyborg, Mettle, Beast, Hulk, and Rockslide. I remember thinking Rockslide didn't fit for the most part because he loves being a big rock dude.

The inspiration lists aren't always about a character who fits the playbook 100%. The Hulk is one of the inspirations for Transformed, and Kamala Khan is listed for both Beacon and Janus. But parts of them are in there (the Transformed can cause a lot of damage and freak people out, even if they can't have a "normal" form to escape like Bruce Banner does.)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Brushing up on my Cinematic Unisystem and I like the mechanics presented in Army of Darkness the RPG but god the writing hasn't aged great in 13 years.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Agent355 posted:

I don't know, I'm just scanning through the list. I just see lots of actions like comforting and persuading and stuff. I don't know how the rules actually function in play, it just seems to be covering a very different sort of super hero than somebody who is going to throw down with dr. doom over his moon laser. It's not the character archetypes themselves that seem squirrel girl but the system?

It's literally Young Avengers/Young Justice: The Roleplaying Game, where you play teenage superheroes forced to deal with being teenage and being superheroes at the same time.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

theironjef posted:

I've played it and it's great. Gets around one very minor weakness in Masks (really in nerds) which is that the suggested power sets on the playbooks are treated as scripture and a meta develops where if you see someone with like self-duplication you just go "okay, a delinquent" and that's a problem.

Yeah, the actual defining bits of the playbooks are not really the available power choices but the things that other playbooks can't really grab without switching over.

The Beacon's introduction scene is portentous, hinting at a much larger world. Their unique bit is a superhero bucket list with entries like "get a new costume", "solo a major threat", "pilot a fantastic vehicle", "go somewhere incredible". They think everyone's amazing and are worried that they shouldn't be here.

The Bull's introduction scene has them (or at least someone they pushed) standing on top of a powerful enemy. Their unique bit is having Deathstrike and Sabretooth a lover and a rival who kick them into high gear when they get involved, but those can be mercurial roles, and when they open up to people they go wide but gain the strength to protect them

The Delinquent's introduction scene flips the bird at duly constituted authority to save the day. They want people to think they're cool and are willing to turn themselves into almost anybody (in the non-shapeshifting sense) to get there.

The Doomed's introduction scene regrets the price they paid. They're heavily, heavily into the doom mechanic, trading a slow countdown to oblivion for a few moments of great power, to the point of not really having other playbook moves, though some other types can poach their sanctuary. They're worried there may be no hope for them but the bright moments can pull them back from the brink.

The Janus's introduction scene has a sidelight moment with a normal but important person, even if they're only important to the Janus. They have a possibly-fragile normal life that they're trying to juggle alongside being a hero. They know there's something worthwhile in both those places and the secret keeps them grounded.

The Legacy's introduction scene includes an established hero taking note. They're tied into history through their legacy and connected to its holders and rivals. It weighs heavily on them and pushes them to be more.

The Nova's introduction scene pulls out to reveal the rubble. Wow, that's a lot of rubble. They're heavily into their own burn mechanic, handicapping themselves for the sake of a few crucial moments, to the point of not really having other playbook moves. They're aware how afraid other people can be of them, and can focus better if they know their teammates can contain them if it comes to it.

The Outsider's introduction scene starts them out as an unknown. There's nonetheless something compelling about them, and they can learn something from even the most ordinary human thing.

The Protege's introduction scene ends with them setting up the comms, because someone has to. They're not as intimately connected to their mentor as the Legacy, but they are using/borrowing/responsible for a notable portion of their resources. Ultimately they want to stand on their own and boy do they feel the irony that sometimes they still need their mentor's help to do so.

The Transformed's introduction scene is freeze-framed somewhere and captioned "Threat or Menace?" Socially they're a bit like the Janus, except instead of a secret identity they can go back to, they hold onto what they once were, even if they can't go back.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The way Masks handles powers also lets you just, make powers up entirely or take any of the power sets from other playbooks without anything changing or breaking, because the powers are just fiction. It's great, because superhero comics don't care about how many fireballs the Human Torch can throw per second, they just care that his powers involve changing into a dangerous alternate form with potential collateral damage, and the types of stories you can tell with that.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 11, 2018

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Apparently the next game from Scratchpad publishing (Dusk City Outlaws) is going to be a superhero RPG, perhaps relevantly.

https://twitter.com/AntarianRanger/status/1050052862422568961

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lemon-Lime posted:

The way Masks handles powers also lets you just, make powers up entirely or take any of the power sets from other playbooks without anything changing or breaking, because the powers are just fiction. It's great, because superhero comics don't care about how many fireballs the Human Torch can throw per second, they just care that his powers involve changing into a dangerous alternate form with potential collateral damage, and the types of stories you can tell with that.

Superheroes really do work best with a strong narrative focus rather than trying to be all simulationist.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Agent355 posted:

Hey if I wanna run a super hero campaign so I can make some dumb hammy fun for a few sessions whats a good system?

Masks is for teen heroes, like everyone has been saying.

Marvel Heroic Roleplaying is good for short games, if you can find any of the books and want lighter rules. It's big downside is that you're meant to play pre-built versions of the Marvel heroes. If you want anything from scratch you'll have to eyeball it.

Mutants and Masterminds is a more involved d20 superhero ruleset. It does the d20 thing of laying out lots of powers and some are going to be super unbalanced against others, but it's not hard to find advice on how to keep it fairer.

Double Cross is a Japanese metahuman rpg meant for one shots. It's very much in line with Darker than Black, if you know or want to Google that.

The ORE system made by Greg Stolze originated for his metahuman RPGs. Godlike was the first, about metahumans in WW2. Wild Talents is set in the same universe, post WW2. There's also Wild Talents: Progenitor, which is another setting for the same system.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Nuns with Guns posted:

Mutants and Masterminds is a more involved d20 superhero ruleset. It does the d20 thing of laying out lots of powers and some are going to be super unbalanced against others, but it's not hard to find advice on how to keep it fairer.

I realize that M&M started from d20 and that it still uses a d20 as its primary resolution mechanic, but it has evolved far enough away from those roots to be mostly its own thing. No classes for one thing. There are power levels, but those are a balance measurement--"Make a PL10 for a regular experienced superhero" and so on. You don't start at PL1 and advance. Power balance is totally a thing though, and the GM needs to be familiar enough with the system to spot problem combos (both too good and too bad); it is also helpful to make players aware that stats are not fixed in stone. These are superheroes after all, their powers can change dramatically through plot magic, so if something is super-busted it can be talked out and then worked into the narrative to fix.

The other big issue with M&M is that it's very front-loaded. CG takes quite a while even for relatively experienced players.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
yeah M&M has reworked d20 to the point where it's a fully point-based system that really resembles HERO or GURPS more than anything else, just that the basic resolution system is still the d20

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
it also keeps the badness

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

This is the part I really like about the system and probably the best bit from any of the systems I've read over while deciding. I don't think the system itself is going to fit my goals but I love this. Right now I'm leaning toward Marvel Heroic Roleplaying and just telling my players to pick any character and reflavor it as whatever but keep the stats to get around it not actually being a marvel game.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 11, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fittingly enough, I decided to mix things up and go full on card system idea for that Battle Network/Medabots/Digimon mashup setting. Getting ambitious, but eh, it's more fun at least to start with to be creative with the system and try something new.

Kinda assuming the cards represent individual weapons, parts, and temporary power-ups, and for the most part a character should become associated with a particular deck plus whatever they find that they can use... basically, something like an RPG system where cards are the loot and abilities. ...would make sense to have individual cards have a certain level of value so they can be traded. (reminded a bit of Munchkin, not sure if that's a good idea, but it was interesting) Since the players may be representing kids or teenagers with their pocket money and whatever they can beg, borrow, steal or win, or maybe IT staff in a disturbingly similar situation.

Also, something along the lines of 'Human Management' is a key AI social skill.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Oct 12, 2018

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Greg Stafford has passed away. I'm kind of surprised because he seemed to be in good health at Gencon.

https://www.chaosium.com/blogvale-greg-stafford-1948-2018/

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Greg Stafford has passed away. I'm kind of surprised because he seemed to be in good health at Gencon.

:smith:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Terrible, terrible news.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I'm extremely sad about this. He lived an incredible life. Glorantha is personally important to me and my wife. He was in great shape in Gencon! I had a great conversation with him about folk traditions in Oaxaca :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Sad news. Quickly and painlessly in his personal sweat lodge at the end of a long awesome life, drat that's a good way to go though.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 12, 2018