Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

All of the 'do something when you die' traits are stupid and should be replaced.

Junkrat's leads to some fun moments, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

Toady posted:

Junkrat's leads to some fun moments, though.

I�ve had a double turn into a triple thanks to a Greymane with no survival instincts that killed me

Plus it�s Class Fantasy�

What the gently caress is happening to my post

Dire Human fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 9, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I can't wait to dump on the people who've never seen/don't know how to handle Terrorblade ult (The health swap)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Dire Human posted:

I�ve had a double turn into a triple thanks to a Greymane with no survival instincts that killed me

Plus it�s Class Fantasy�

What the gently caress is happening to my post

Something is screwing up the way the forum is storing special characters, the Yen symbol in an LP I read got hit similarly, as have apostrophes in various places.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
Wow Mal'ganis sounds like a dead tired and bored SC1 Tassadar.
He also has the same problem Mephisto had that 90% of his dialogues are long winded.

Shoenin fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 10, 2018

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Is Thrall still good? I need some good generic flex picks that I'm comfortable with and enjoy playing. I struggle picking for the solo-lane right now because I don't particularly enjoy any of the meta picks

He's fine in the 4-man, and if you only need to soak one lane he's fine for offlane as long as he plays very passively. I don't know if Yrel/Blaze/Dehaka can solo-kill him without some pretty dumb positioning and play, but he doesn't have the durability to survive a gank, so he sort of just needs to sit back and help the towers kill minions. He can freeze the lane too, but you need to watch your health bar doing it, because he can get blown up early.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Speaking of ol' Yrel, what's her goto build these days? Also for Dblo, I thought the new hotness was going all fire stomp? That still the case?

1. Marad's Insight pretty much every time. Her combo is AA, basic ability, AA, basic ability pretty much all game except when you don't need the abilities. Maybe Light of Karabor if you're running no support, but I'd rather just heal with every AA.
4. Aegis of Light is one of the main reasons she's so popular. Every W gives all allies around her +25 armor (was just nerfed from +35) for 5 seconds, she can cast it every 6 seconds, so it's almost 100% uptime, especially with
7. Holy Avenger means her W now has a 1 second C/D when it hits an enemy hero, so it's effectively 25% damage reduction for the rest of the game for everyone around her when you need the armor. It's stupid good for team fights. You can take Divine Steed too, especially if you're double soaking. I think a lot of players severely underrate move speed buffs, but if you're not double soaking I think Holy Avenger is better.
10. Both are viable. Ardent Defender is way more popular (at lower levels people don't know to stop hitting you when you pop it, so you can get a huge heal), but if you're holding a point Sacred Ground can be good, because it doesn't go away until you move off of it, and infinite 40% damage reduction makes her drat near unkillable.
13: All are viable. Repentance buffs your W which now has a 1 second CD if you took Holy Avenger, and slows are nice.
16: Again, all three are decent. Holy Wrath gives you splash damage on all your basic attacks if you're doing her combo. Templar's Verdict can help if the other team is stacking armor, and Divine Favor gives you a lot more insta-cast abilities.
20: Seraphim is a self-cleanse, the one surviability tool she doesn't have. Take it if you are getting stunned or slowed. Otherwise, take the talent that matches your 20, they're both OK, but kinda lame for storm talents. Bubble Hearth is dumb even for a memey pick.

Corsair Pool Boy fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 10, 2018

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Kurieg posted:

Something is screwing up the way the forum is storing special characters, the Yen symbol in an LP I read got hit similarly, as have apostrophes in various places.

Glad it isn't just me.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Trying to climb into masters is teaching me a great deal about the game:

1-Im not very good
2-Im bad at drafting
3-The difference between a good diamond player and a good masters player is pretty significant
4-Playing against 5stacks of GMs is really brutal
5-Good micro alone is not enough to win up here
6-Just pick azmodan

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Just played my team league placements for the first time and got placed in silver 1. Last season in Hero League I ended up Diamond 1. Did my TL base my rating on the 4-5 TL games I played like a year or more ago when I just started playing this game?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

more like ez-mode-an

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

extravadanza posted:

Just played my team league placements for the first time and got placed in silver 1. Last season in Hero League I ended up Diamond 1. Did my TL base my rating on the 4-5 TL games I played like a year or more ago when I just started playing this game?

Placements are based off of your QM MMR if you've never played before or if you haven't played in a while. TL threw me at GM players when I was doing my placements for this season even though I ultimately wound up placing Plat 1 because I lost too many games during placements.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Not that hotslogs is perfect, but it seems to think my QM MMR is Diamond, 2599.

Is TL simply more competitive in general?

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Hotslogs data is fine but it's not trying to match Blizzards rankings 1 for 1. They have their own system of determining the brackets.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It only uses QM if you don't have an HL or UR mmr. I believe the mmr seeding order is the intuitive QM -> UR -> HL -> TL

My guess is that the max gold 5 seeding rule applies to TL separately from HL, so if your placement game performance was roughly average you'd end up in s1-g4 no matter how high your seeded mmr was.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I went silver4 in TL and thats probably right. Hotslogs says my QM is plat4 so hotslogs is high.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
who's the best non-norse split soaker in the game? assuming Cursed Hollow.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Bogart posted:

Zagara, falstad, dehaka.

Anybody that can show you to a team fighting as needed, as well as can get to lanes quickly.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Bogart posted:

I'd say Dehaka. Great waveclear, good damage for a bruiser, deceptively durable, able to generate picks, global mobility. Cursed Hollow in particular has no shortage of bushes for him to pop out of so it's not like he's ever in a situation where he's wanting for an angle of approach.

Falstad and Zagara are tied for second place. Falstad is more readily mobile, but he folds to the slightest bit of pressure. Zagara's creep is insanely useful and she can soak/push multiple lanes at once under ideal circumstances, but to do so she A) needs to get set up (which can be prevented) and B) if she's going Nydus, she doesn't have a teamfight-oriented Heroic.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
This game is messing with me. In my last 4 promo matches Ive had the guy banning be afk, ban nothing, and not show up all match

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

lucifirius posted:

Zagara, falstad, dehaka.

Anybody that can show you to a team fighting as needed, as well as can get to lanes quickly.

Falstadt is kinda norse though, isn't he?

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Not overtly so, and Dwarves aren't always.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bogart posted:

Murky.

Honestly your question could have just been the first three words and the answer would still be Murky.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Something I noticed about one of Mal'Ganis' talents:

quote:

[W] Fueled by Torment
While Necrotic Embrace is active, Mal'Ganis heals for 12 when damage is taken and Vampiric Touch converts 15% more Hero damage into healing.

On the surface this seems pretty absurdly strong against rapid-attack characters like Tychus, Tassadar, D.va, Tracer, or Zarya. However, it might be even worse than that - does it work for Health Shred damage? Does it count for damage over time and make Ana's Shrike actively beneficial, or effectively neuter Lunara and Nazeebo? How harshly does this Level 4 talent counter Heroic abilities like Disintegrate or March of the Murlocs?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Kith posted:

On the surface this seems pretty absurdly strong against rapid-attack characters like Tychus, Tassadar, D.va, Tracer, or Zarya. However, it might be even worse than that - does it work for Health Shred damage? Does it count for damage over time and make Ana's Shrike actively beneficial, or effectively neuter Lunara and Nazeebo? How harshly does this Level 4 talent counter Heroic abilities like Disintegrate or March of the Murlocs?

Usually abilities like that have a hidden internal cooldown, like Cain's life steal on attack thing doesn't trigger on every single one of Tracer's attacks.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

that talent doesn't appear to be much different in impact from ablative armor, except ablative armor caps out at 80 damage (reducing damage done by 40!), so I don't know that it's really that overpowered.

Grei Skuring
Sep 12, 2011

:norway::thumbsup:
If not, a whole bunch of characters just got super-countered.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

It wouldn't be the first (or last time) that a new hero release just removes like 1/4 the game's roster from viability

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

SirSamVimes posted:

Murky.

Honestly your question could have just been the first three words and the answer would still be Murky.

He said split-soaker, not split-pusher. I mean, Murky is fine but if you're just soaking take someone with top tier team fight contribution (twin blades Varian)

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Grei Skuring posted:

If not, a whole bunch of characters just got super-countered.

These are the characters that totally circumvent Block, the thing that's supposed to counter auto-attack characters, so maybe that's good?

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Kith posted:

I asked on a discord with a bunch of high level players, will report back if I get an answer, but

Ignite Memories posted:

These are the characters that totally circumvent Block, the thing that's supposed to counter auto-attack characters, so maybe that's good?

Is my first take. Though heroes with blinds seem.to counter them pretty good already...

e: seriously, pick Lili/Cassia into an Artanis/Tychus comp. It's hilarious, those two are basically harmless all game.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I turned two games around as Fenix today, it's so cool when you finally get his Q stacked up and just shred people apart even when they're 2 levels ahead. On towers of doom we were down to something like 7 health while they had 21, my team kind of stunk and our junkrat had disconnected and was an AI, still won in the end. I was just dumb to not pick planet cracker for a change since they had an abathur who kept trying to sneak up on altars, I should've blasted him.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

The talent basically is "take 12 less damage", which puts it better than ablative armor up to 24 damage and worse than ablative armor after that.

There are not a whole lot of damage sources in the game that do 24 or less damage per tick. Next to none that do 12 or less per tick, Shrike at 1-2 stacks is about it. Tassadar's auto attacks do 14 baseline. Zarya does 20 at 0 energy. Tychus does 50.

Y'all are overreacting on the "removes 25% of the heroes in the game from viability" poo poo about an ability that will reduce damage a bit for 3 out of 8 seconds if spammed on cooldown.

Dietrich fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Oct 11, 2018

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

It's important to declare a hero very overpowered or extremely underpowered before their release

If you don't it invites dark spirits to curse the new hero and they cannot enjoy a happy life

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Is it just me or do none of Mephisto's abilities actually *do* anything?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

Is it just me or do none of Mephisto's abilities actually *do* anything?

Actually he's still very powerful.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Dietrich posted:

The talent basically is "take 12 less damage", which puts it better than ablative armor up to 24 damage and worse than ablative armor after that.

There are not a whole lot of damage sources in the game that do 24 or less damage per tick. Next to none that do 12 or less per tick, Shrike at 1-2 stacks is about it. Tassadar's auto attacks do 14 baseline. Zarya does 20 at 0 energy. Tychus does 50.

Y'all are overreacting on the "removes 25% of the heroes in the game from viability" poo poo about an ability that will reduce damage a bit for 3 out of 8 seconds if spammed on cooldown.

And you're underreacting. You forget that this heal-on-hit is active during a period where Mal'Ganis has 25 Armor, meaning that these attacks will be dealing even less than their baseline. Tassadar in particular would deal 10.5 damage per second, causing the healing to overtake Tassadar's damage completely and result in Mal'Ganis gaining health from being attacked. Depending on the mechanics behind it (what internal cooldown (if any) it has, if DOT damage counts, how it interacts with ten-hits-per-second attacks like Disintegrate, ect), a Level 4 talent for an ability with an effective 5 second cooldown could grant Mal'Ganis defensive benefits that are greater than 75 Armor because Blizzard wanted to have attacks and abilities with rapid tick damage. Several heroes are considered hard counters for less than that, so this is absolutely something worth asking questions about.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Dietrich posted:

You're forgetting ablative stops working after 80 damage. Not that 12 less is a big deal once hits get big.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

Tassadar is such a mess

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Kith posted:

And you're underreacting. You forget that this heal-on-hit is active during a period where Mal'Ganis has 25 Armor, meaning that these attacks will be dealing even less than their baseline. Tassadar in particular would deal 10.5 damage per second, causing the healing to overtake Tassadar's damage completely and result in Mal'Ganis gaining health from being attacked. Depending on the mechanics behind it (what internal cooldown (if any) it has, if DOT damage counts, how it interacts with ten-hits-per-second attacks like Disintegrate, ect), a Level 4 talent for an ability with an effective 5 second cooldown could grant Mal'Ganis defensive benefits that are greater than 75 Armor because Blizzard wanted to have attacks and abilities with rapid tick damage. Several heroes are considered hard counters for less than that, so this is absolutely something worth asking questions about.

Not buying what you're selling. He nets 6 hp a second from this interaction, healing for a whopping 18 health while being slowed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Congratulations on successfully ignoring everything else I pointed out as a potential issue.