Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wa27
Jan 15, 2007

R.D. Mangles posted:

i sincerely hope nebraska is lovely enough to lose to northwestern in evanston for the first time

I'm shocked to learn that none of our losses to NU have been at Evanston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

TheGreyGhost posted:

Now, frankly, I don't think Nebraska is ever reclaiming the glory days; you're not convincing that many recruits in the social media age to move to Lincoln, but they should be contending for the Big Ten West with Wisconsin consistently.

I don't buy this - Lincoln probably isn't very different that Norman, OK; Tuscaloosa, AL; Gainsville, FL or whatever. If Saban was at Nebraska - they'd be reeling of consecutive championships like it was 90's.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Baton Rouge is the most apt comparison (I've been there)

People also throw out the "It's cold" excuse but it really does come down to being able to develop recruits into halfway decent FBS players, which hasn't been sustained here in a while

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

wa27 posted:

probably less of a home crowd advantage in lincoln

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Why was Dixieland Delight banned in the first place?

https://twitter.com/Greg_Byrne/status/1050162490456383488

I also eagerly await both the sexual assault allegations and future supreme court nomination of the Alabama student body president.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sab0921 posted:

I don't buy this - Lincoln probably isn't very different that Norman, OK; Tuscaloosa, AL; Gainsville, FL or whatever. If Saban was at Nebraska - they'd be reeling of consecutive championships like it was 90's.

Those places are all much closer to good football players but yes they'd probably be better if they hired the literal best coach of all time

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

Remember when Kansas hired Charlie Weis lol

Remember when Kansas hired Turner Gill, who was completely awful. Then proceeded to hire head coaches who have done worse with the program than Gill has done at Liberty?

*-note that this is not the same as me saying Liberty is good at football. Or really anything.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Remember when Mark Mangino took Kansas to the Orange Bowl, won it, then a few years later got fired and has barely ever been heard from again?

Dude won a BCS bowl at possibly the worst P5 program and has never been a head coach ever again.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Mahoning posted:

Remember when Mark Mangino took Kansas to the Orange Bowl, won it, then a few years later got fired and has barely ever been heard from again?

Dude won a BCS bowl at possibly the worst P5 program and has never been a head coach ever again.

Wasn’t he abusive toward his players? Seems to be something of a disqualifier in most places.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Mahoning posted:

Yeah. Cuz he's a massive dick. Even be football coach standards. He was Kansas' winningest coach and got poo poo canned for non-football reasons. That's why he went to die in obscurity after a few year OC at Iowa State.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

drunk leprechaun posted:

Yeah. Cuz he's a massive dick. Even be football coach standards. He was Kansas' winningest coach and got poo poo canned for non-football reasons. That's why he went to die in obscurity after a few year OC at Iowa State.

mark mangino will never die in obscurity because of the Orange Bowl Mascot Picture

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LeeMajors posted:

Wasn’t he abusive toward his players? Seems to be something of a disqualifier in most places.

Yeah. He also was more or less a normal Kansas football coach outside of the Todd Reesing years, and the program was going the wrong direction. They made two disasterous hires after that took them from "normal KU bad" to "literal worst major conference program" but I don't think Mangino was actually all that great.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 11, 2018

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

MourningView posted:

Those places are all much closer to good football players but yes they'd probably be better if they hired the literal best coach of all time

No one said anything about Bill Snyder

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Sab0921 posted:

No one said anything about Bill Snyder

snyder’s lost his fastball since he started playing qbs who have kissed girls before

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
https://sports.yahoo.com/yahoo-sports-exclusive-document-shows-untrained-third-party-overruled-targeting-call-pac-12-game-040318946.html

Shocker.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MourningView posted:

Yeah. He also was more or less a normal Kansas football coach outside of the Todd Reesing years, and the program was going the wrong direction. They made two disasterous hires after that took them from "normal KU bad" to "literal worst major conference program" but I don't think Mangino was actually all that great.

Ahem, are we forgetting about Rutgers? :raise:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dango Bango posted:

I was talking more broadly over the last like 5 years but yeah Rutgers is obviously way worse right now

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Dango Bango posted:

rutgers hasn't even been close to as bad as Kansas in the last decade

kansas won 15 games from 2010-2017
rutgers won 46.

rutgers has won more bowls since 2010 than kansas has won road games

this is a really good way to put how bad kansas has been in perspective

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Sab0921 posted:

Why was Dixieland Delight banned in the first place?

https://twitter.com/Greg_Byrne/status/1050162490456383488

I also eagerly await both the sexual assault allegations and future supreme court nomination of the Alabama student body president.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1VqSGsbn8w

Unfortunately there appears to be a large pro-auburn lobby which is why we can't have any progress in this country

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

wa27 posted:

I'm shocked to learn Northwestern has won 9 of its past 10 B1G games :raise:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

That's pretty hosed up.

Haha, reading the story now, I bet the ultimate outcome is that the ref gets disciplined for mentioning it in his report. You can already see this forming in the Pac 12 commissioner saying the unfortunate thing in the whole incident is the mischaracterization that a third party had overruled officials.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 11, 2018

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I'll say this, I always dug Turner Gill's opening remark when he got hired at Kansas.

quote:

Here are our top priorities: recruit, beat Missouri, recruit, win the North, recruit, win the Big 12, and in most cases if you win the Big 12 then you're playing for a National Championship. And then we're going to recruit.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That should, at the very minimum, be unnecessary roughness. It's also the most blatant targeting call on the face of the planet. College is "if your knee touches the ground when you have the ball*, regardless if you have been touched by a defensive player, you are down". It's clear that he has the ball, was down for a portion of time long enough that the defender had no reason to lower his head to go after him. Had he been still standing? Sure, go for a wrap up tackle. But he was already going to the ground and giving up on the play.

How the gently caress they felt they could get away with an untrained official I have no clue.

*Placeholder for kicks excluded here for the obvious reasons.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

iospace posted:

That should, at the very minimum, be unnecessary roughness.

They missed this one too:

https://twitter.com/CFBgifer/status/1043379973753581568

So I guess at least the bullshit missed calls went both ways? Also something something they really care about player safety.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

What's crazy is that's not even the Porter Gustin hit that most people were talking about. Bad reffing all around in that game.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
It's so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54h2WfgtUUw

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Grittybeard posted:

They missed this one too:

https://twitter.com/CFBgifer/status/1043379973753581568

So I guess at least the bullshit missed calls went both ways? Also something something they really care about player safety.

:stonk:

How the gently caress did the replay official not buzz the ref on that play?

Oh right, the same one who thought the other one wasn't targeting.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I'm sensing a recurring theme here that porter gustin is dirty as poo poo

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa is absurdly beat up on defense and I'm actually really worried about playing Indiana now. Both starting corners are at less than 100% so we might have to start two true freshmen there for the second week in a row (one of whom was a originally only a grey shirt offer). Two starting linebackers are also hurt and one of the top backups is suspended for the first half due to a late targeting penalty last game, so we're starting a backup outside linebacker at MLB surrounded by two redshirt freshman.

Last week against Minneosta the linebacker depth was bad enough that we actually played nickle for like 80% of the game with a starting safety bumping down to OLB/nickle corner. Given that Iowa has probably played like 90% or more of it's defensive snaps in it's base 4-3 since 1999 it was extremely awkward and weird. Minnesota is bad enough that it didn't matter, but I don't think we can march up and down the field at will against Indiana the same way, especially since it's one of those sleeply 11 AM kicks is a mostly empty stadium that always seem to completely sap the team of energy.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Real Name Grover posted:

I'm shocked to learn Northwestern has won 9 of its past 10 B1G games :raise:

Every time I see a stat like this I laugh that Akron walked into Evanston and owned the place

Conference reputation based on past history is so terrible

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

MourningView posted:

Agreed, to be honest.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

texas tech/tcu is a really cool thursday night game

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

PostNouveau posted:

That's pretty hosed up.

Haha, reading the story now, I bet the ultimate outcome is that the ref gets disciplined for mentioning it in his report. You can already see this forming in the Pac 12 commissioner saying the unfortunate thing in the whole incident is the mischaracterization that a third party had overruled officials.

This is crazy, there was a similar thing that happened a few weeks ago in Arizona, guy on his knees that had someone run into his head helmet first. Called targeting on the field, but somehow after 5 minutes of reviews of watching someone concuss someone over and over again, and the refs clearly standing around waiting on something, suddenly "not targeting."

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

LeeMajors posted:

Mostly genuine, non-sarcastic observation- it is strange how player abuse allegations only seem to come out about coaches who either suck, or are good at places that aren't supposed to be good.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Hey NCAA fantasy league folks, read this post: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865315&pagenumber=10#post488794501

Also it's gameday and it doesn't feel like gameday. Thursday games suck.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I don't understand why Meachum got fired? Kansas finally has an almost functional offense it seems like. Was there something with the admin or what?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I don't understand why Meachum got fired? Kansas finally has an almost functional offense it seems like. Was there something with the admin or what?

gotta fire someone and it can't be the DC because TURNOVERS?

Everyone is gonna be gone fairly soon anyway in all likelihood so I guess it gives him a chance to get started on looking for his next job. He was good enough at TCU that he should be able to get at least a position coaching or G5 coordinator spot for a Texas school

G-Hawk posted:

texas tech/tcu is a really cool thursday night game

Yeah what the hell how did that happen

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 11, 2018

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I know nothing about the situation, but I'd guess it boils down to him and Beaty not getting along. Beaty is probably panicking and just instinctively trying to micro-manage.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

General Dog posted:

Mostly genuine, non-sarcastic observation- it is strange how player abuse allegations only seem to come out about coaches who either suck, or are good at places that aren't supposed to be good.

I think mangino was canned because it wasn't just rear end in a top hat coach poo poo, he was being racist as all hell with his abuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

MourningView posted:

gotta fire someone and it can't be the DC because TURNOVERS?

Everyone is gonna be gone fairly soon anyway in all likelihood so I guess it gives him a chance to get started on looking for his next job. He was good enough at TCU that he should be able to get at least a position coaching or G5 coordinator spot for a Texas school

He was very good at UH as well - he will find a solid landing spot somewhere in the Air Raid universe.

• Locked thread