Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I was also secretly hoping that someone would ask what part of the snake they were eating.
Then have Kathy Bates respond with
Snakes don't really have parts, but the closest thing would be a knee.

(From water boy )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

QuoProQuid posted:

AHS seems like an incredibly fun series to participate in as an actor.

It's got to be low stress too. If a big movie part rolls around, they can either reduce your role or flat out skip you that season only to return with absolutely no repercussions the next season.

In shows that are less self contained per season that sort of thing always blows up the quality.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Just thought id pass it along.

Screenbid auctions has an AHS lot goingon
Seasons
Hotel
Roanoke
Coven
Freak show

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

joebuddah posted:

Seasons
Hotel
Roanoke
Coven
Freak show

Oh man...I bet that Freak Show stuff is dirt cheap and in 50 years nobody will give a poo poo that it's from the ~worst season~.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.

joebuddah posted:

Seasons
Hotel
Roanoke
Coven
Freak show

Some of that stuff from The Office sold for a ridiculous amount. $22,000 for one of the glass doors with the Dunder Mifflin logo on it.

There are actually some pretty cool pieces up for bid from AHS. The freakshow banners, the neon signs the Countess had in the penthouse, Lana's novel Maniac, the black dresses the girls in Coven wore (also Myrtle's signature glasses,) the uh .... restraining order against Agnes in Roanoke.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
Yea they had Erics throne from True Blood. That went for a crazy amount too.

Dudeabides
Jul 26, 2009

"You better not buy me that goddamn tourist av"

Was this episode in need of singing Stevie Nicks? Not really.

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."

Dudeabides posted:

Is every episode in need of singing Stevie Nicks? Yes.

Fixed that for you.

Good ep, felt like the better aspects of Coven distilled into two episodes. Now on to the Murder House!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Dudeabides posted:

Was this episode in need of singing Stevie Nicks? Not really.

Ill take if over how many songs they used to do.

Um was that lange? or is it the other blond from season 1? I missed the first part of the episode, lol they mention the blood moon from roanoke.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 11, 2018

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Man this season is killing it, and next week we're on to Murder House. As much as I like the season though I'm not sure what I think about them dedicating 3-4 episodes in the middle to an extended flashback.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
"What's so special about this place"
"It's where it all began"
:rimshot:

e: Oh my god, this will be the first time that the chars come face to face with look-a-likes right? What will they say when they see Violet(and the original matriarch of the series)

Postal Parcel fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Oct 11, 2018

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Tragedienne posted:

Fixed that for you.

Good ep, felt like the better aspects of Coven distilled into two episodes. Now on to the Murder House!

That Stevie Nicks performance was really sad. She obviously can't hit notes anymore and it was like "look here's Stevie Nicks!'. It also went on for like 4 minutes.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
I tried watching a clip. Had to turn it off after the first two-five notes.
Despite that, I really want to catch up on this show.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Doltos posted:

That Stevie Nicks performance was really sad. She obviously can't hit notes anymore and it was like "look here's Stevie Nicks!'. It also went on for like 4 minutes.

She hasn't been able to hit a note for the past 10 years. and the 4 minutes was 4 minutes less dialogue and plot that they needed to write. (and no, I love Stevie even with her scratchy voice, just not in this show. Didn't like her in Coven and don't like her in this season.)

vvvvv: Are we watching Rupaul's Drag Race?

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 11, 2018

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Still, my wig was snatched in those last few moment.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TOOT BOOT posted:

Man this season is killing it, and next week we're on to Murder House. As much as I like the season though I'm not sure what I think about them dedicating 3-4 episodes in the middle to an extended flashback.

I on one hand dislike that fact but on the other, knowing the payoff (that the world gets blown the gently caress up) makes everything else that's going on carry a lot more weight.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tenzarin posted:

Ill take if over how many songs they used to do.

Um was that lange? or is it the other blond from season 1? I missed the first part of the episode, lol they mention the blood moon from roanoke.

No it's famous 80s singer Steive Nicks who showed up the gently caress out of nowhere in Coven and also spent a bunch of time singing. Someone is a huge Stevie Nicks fan I guess.

It'd be way more hilarious to have had her get into a magical battle with the Antichrist than sing again. Let Stevie Nicks go out of the AHS universe with a bang.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
70s singer as well, as she was also the vocalist of Fleetwood mac.

Among her fans, accusations about witchcraft have been common for years, due to her youthful appearance and vigor (she's 70 years old).

One of the coolest details in Coven was the story about the immortal swamp witch Misty Day, who lived a hermit life and had an almost religious spiritual relationship with the music of Fleetwood mac, claiming that Nicks was CERTAINLY a witch, as there was no other explanation for her haunting vocal performance. It added some fun flavor to Misty's character and plot, and it didn't really need any closure (much like the Anne Frank subplot in Asylum where it never was revealed if she was telling the truth about her identity or just was delusional). Of course, Murphy had to destroy that ambiguity by revealing that Nicks was a legendary white witch, and gave her a central part in the last few episodes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

kjetting posted:

Among her fans, accusations about witchcraft have been common for years, due to her youthful appearance and vigor (she's 70 years old).

One of the coolest details in Coven was the story about the immortal swamp witch Misty Day, who lived a hermit life and had an almost religious spiritual relationship with the music of Fleetwood mac, claiming that Nicks was CERTAINLY a witch, as there was no other explanation for her haunting vocal performance. It added some fun flavor to Misty's character and plot, and it didn't really need any closure (much like the Anne Frank subplot in Asylum where it never was revealed if she was telling the truth about her identity or just was delusional). Of course, Murphy had to destroy that ambiguity by revealing that Nicks was a legendary white witch, and gave her a central part in the last few episodes.

I always heard that Nicks requested to be a part of the show after she heard about Misty. And Coven was a particularly unrestrained season of television, even by Ryan "Just Say Yes" Murphy's standards.

Edit: Still think this extended flashback's building up to a bunch of the witches snuffing it. Hoping that Nicks gets taken out by Dark Warlock Marylin Manson or Perfectly Normal Tom Waits or something.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 11, 2018

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Hopefully we just don’t see her anymore.

This season owns though, fwiw.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

kjetting posted:

Yep in typical Ryan Murphy fashion he went for fan service over any sort of quality plot development. I feel like the majority of people who watch this show don't watch it for the nuanced plot though.

The issue I have with how they used Steve Nicks is that she literally came out for a musical number. They didn't have her do anything or contribute to the plot. She's just the great White Witch that showed up randomly to dance with Misty Day. Just pure laziness.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
That scene in Hell with all the kids in the science class with their mouths open as demon murmurs spewed out was creepy and cool. poo poo like that is why I like this show. More of that and less of Ms. Steve please!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I like everything with the Warlocks. The journey to get Misty was super creepy.

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 11, 2018

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Hey Queenie don't forget to tell Madison and Behold witch powers are extremely useless against ghosts on their own turf. You know, just in case their mission leads them to one or two.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Mob posted:

Hey Queenie don't forget to tell Madison and Behold witch powers are extremely useless against ghosts on their own turf. You know, just in case their mission leads them to one or two.

I don't think Queenie knows about it.

One thing I will absolutely gripe on is that people will just disappear and no one will ask any questions. It really feels like people just come and go without it being noticed or commented on. Like Billy got in, killed someone, and then... uh... maybe hung around for a day? Maybe left? No idea. Not mentioned yet. Which sucks cause I want more Apocalypse Billy Adventures.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

JossiRossi posted:

I don't think Queenie knows about it.

One thing I will absolutely gripe on is that people will just disappear and no one will ask any questions. It really feels like people just come and go without it being noticed or commented on. Like Billy got in, killed someone, and then... uh... maybe hung around for a day? Maybe left? No idea. Not mentioned yet. Which sucks cause I want more Apocalypse Billy Adventures.

They've been in flashback mode for two full episodes now; there haven't been any jumps back to present to even ask what's happened to him (or Langdon/Robot Meade for that matter).

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I know, but there was still a chunk of time between Eichner showing up, killing someone, and then the flashback starting.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

JossiRossi posted:

I know, but there was still a chunk of time between Eichner showing up, killing someone, and then the flashback starting.

In terms of living people who'd already been in the bunker to know whether or not to ask that question, not really. CoCo's the only one who even knew he was there in the first place, and the show didn't waste much time in jumping right to flashbacks after a cursory "hey remember that you're witches?!" from Cordelia for her (CoCo) to ask if he was still lurking around.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yeah also a ton of other poo poo happened pretty rapid fire. Literally the entire group of purples were murdered, then Miss Venable was, then a bunch of witches showed up and resurrected several of a recently killed people then got into a confrontation with the Anti-Christ. Not a lot of time for an investigation to take place.

Plus his plan was probably to murder her and then maybe steal some poo poo before sneaking back out quickly. At best Michael maybe knew he was there but didn't care that he killed someone he was planning to kill anyway and let him do his thing and peace out. Or he could still be lurking, taking advantage of the chaos of everyone dying to hoping to stake out a place to loot/survive.

He's definitely an unknown variable but it's not unreasonable to surmise that the only people who know he was even there just assume he snuck away the same way he snuck in.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm going to watch Coven this weekend because I feel like a lot of the most recent episode made no sense

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
At this point I hope they never explain how Myrtle is back.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

TheBizzness posted:

At this point I hope they never explain how Myrtle is back.

"I got better."

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Pinwiz11 posted:

"I got better."

Was that a line that I missed? If so, :bravo:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

TheBizzness posted:

Was that a line that I missed? If so, :bravo:

No, but I wish that was it.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
So Mark Zuckerburg was a warlock?

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

xeria posted:

They've been in flashback mode for two full episodes now; there haven't been any jumps back to present to even ask what's happened to him (or Langdon/Robot Meade for that matter).

I'd love if they were getting to a big reveal in the flashback then Billy shouts 'Who cares?!' and it cuts to the present for a minute.

Granted, they're not narrating the backstory, but still.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Did they kill off Billy on The Road or just not mention him after he brained whatshername? I honestly can't remember...

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Did they kill off Billy on The Road or just not mention him after he brained whatshername? I honestly can't remember...

He might just be lurking about.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I really like how the male witches are the inferior ones thought to be jokes. While a bit cliche, it's a nice statement about sexism in general with a side of it being bullshit no matter which gender is dominant. It's a fun detail. I've like how the last few seasons it seems like they like to put some political stuff in but walk this interesting rope of not being preachy about it and giving you kind of a both-sides-of-the-coin view. Cult did that super well: No ideology was off-limits for comment.

TheBizzness posted:

Hopefully we just don’t see her anymore.

This season owns though, fwiw.

The sequel to one of the worst (or best, in a 'so bad it's good' way) seasons of not just the show but TV in general has ended up being, ironically, one of my favorite.

The narrative is so much more coherent (yet still insane) this time, and so are the characters, but what really sells it is the world building.

The big problem with Coven was how sloppy the world building was, esp. with the greater magical world. It was a confused mess. This time around, they have really established stuff in a solid way; I understand the players. I understand the motivations. I get why the characters are doing what they are doing and have a sense how the magic works.

Part of me feels the current male Coven would fit fine in with like Dr. Strange or something, but that's not a knock. I like them a lot. All this really adds up to make a strange season even stranger, and I mean that as a compliment in this case. Am I the only one that feels like American Horror Story has been on a straight upward incline in quality since Freak Show ended?

ED: BTW I noticed the goon theory that they would undo the destruction of the world got echo'ed hard this episode with the "She didn't just heal the wounds, she undid them.." scene.

ED: Also I like the returning characters quite a bit. Coven's plot felt like it let down some fun characters, so seeing they actually pulled the trigger on Misty coming back and brought Queenie back I feel like they really know what worked the best in that season and dropped the rest.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."
Honestly, if someone asked me to recommend two episodes of AHS: Coven to give an idea of what the show is about, it would be these past two episodes of Apocalypse.

Coven was at it's best when it focused on the Coven, and could have used a bit more of the Voodoo Coven as well. If it had dropped all the extra poo poo, like the Axeman, witch hunters, lovely neighbour lady, creepy butler, etc., it would probably feel more like this.

And I say this with Murder House/Coven being my favourites.