Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Squibbles posted:

$20 for Lee valley ones, if they would work. LV has a good return policy if they don't I guess http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=44699&cat=1,42401&ap=1

Perfect, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

In a similar vein, I got this thing for my big DC and it is great for $35. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001399USU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_EO5VBb9TTD20Z

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
So I bought a 12" Ridgid miter saw and it broke on its first use. I didn't notice that the blade guard got in a bind, the blade grabbed it and kicked the handle out of my hand. All the plastic and sheet metal is bent now. The laser guide broke before I ever got a chance to use it. That scared me enough to get a refund. Are there any brands out there that aren't crap or at least not dangerous?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I've been using this DeWalt saw for a few years now and have never had problems with it.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

kid sinister posted:

So I bought a 12" Ridgid miter saw and it broke on its first use. I didn't notice that the blade guard got in a bind, the blade grabbed it and kicked the handle out of my hand. All the plastic and sheet metal is bent now. The laser guide broke before I ever got a chance to use it. That scared me enough to get a refund. Are there any brands out there that aren't crap or at least not dangerous?

I can't even conceive how the gently caress that can happen. They're all dangerous tools, but not like that! I have had a DeWalt since they came out with the 12" compound and, well I nevah

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

In a similar vein, I got this thing for my big DC and it is great for $35. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001399USU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_EO5VBb9TTD20Z

I want to get something like this as well. Since my new shop will be in the basement I want to eliminate as much dust as possible. This along with the canister filter on my DC should be a big help.

Lee Valley has one that fits on a 55 gallon drum. I'm trying to find a cheap drum locally and figure out a way to put a bag right inside. I've seen some people make cages out of wire that keeps the bag in place inside the drum. So my plan is to go that route.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

kid sinister posted:

How in the hell.. kinda feels like operator error somehow that is wild, but weirder things have happened

What is your price range? All saws are dangerous if they malfunction or are used incorrectly. Dont worry about the laser guide you'll never use it as they are always inaccurate.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

How in the hell.. kinda feels like operator error somehow that is wild, but weirder things have happened

What is your price range? All saws are dangerous if they malfunction or are used incorrectly. Dont worry about the laser guide you'll never use it as they are always inaccurate.

To be fair, I noticed the saw made a strange sound and loosened my grip. That's when it kicked out of my hand.

It ain't my price range. It's a business expense. I guess 500? I don't need a sliding one.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 12, 2018

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

keep it down up there! posted:

I want to get something like this as well. Since my new shop will be in the basement I want to eliminate as much dust as possible. This along with the canister filter on my DC should be a big help.

Lee Valley has one that fits on a 55 gallon drum. I'm trying to find a cheap drum locally and figure out a way to put a bag right inside. I've seen some people make cages out of wire that keeps the bag in place inside the drum. So my plan is to go that route.

I have a bleeder hose on my dust bin, basically a 1/2" tube that goes from the inlet of my dust collector to the bin (outside of the bag). When I replace the bag I run the dust collector for a few minutes with the bin disconnected and the bag gets sucked down to the sides of the bin. Then I connect it and operate it as usual, the bleeder hose equalizes the pressure so the bag doesn't get sucked up. I have a cyclone though so I don't know if it would work with the style of separator that you have...but I imagine it would.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Rebuilding my toolkit after my shed was broken into and it was all stolen. Current status:

Excuse the potato quality, my phone shat itself at 39% battery, and this was the best I got before that.

Clockwise from 12 o'clock, spiraling down: worklight with magnetic base stuck to the side of the box; Craftsman socket set; tape measure and axe-sharpening puck; random nuts/bolts/&c.; Bic lighter, loupe, and pocketknife with marlinspike; epoxy, Sharpie, and pencil; pliers and crescent wrench/precision screwdriver set; big prybar screwdrivers (see my previous post, it's the old ones and the spare set)/scissors; the Altoids tin is labeled "earhole pluggers" and contains several sets of foam earplugs; combo wrenches and Allen keys. In the bottom is an ancient L. Coes wrench, a hammer that is cross-peen both ways and weighs about eight ounces (one face is | and the other is --, if that helps. It's the one with the darker handle), a Horror Fright clicky torque wrench in its plastic case, an old-school framing hammer with an axe instead of claws because that's badass, and a ball-peen hammer mostly hidden under the light (between the axehammer and wrench).

Edit: to the left of the framing hammer is the rail of duplicate sockets. The set had like five 10mms, and one or two extra of the other most common sizes.

Edit again: I can lift it, but I don't want to. The box itself weighs 15lb and it's full of steel things. In other news, the scissors and weird metalworking hammer were inherited from my grandpa. :unsmith: Eventually I'll restore the box like this I got from him, but for now I just bought a new version of it.

What else do I need? The Coes wrench doubles as an Engineer's hammer, so "bigass implement of bashing" is covered. And I have the framing hammer, 1/2" ratchet, and screwdriver handles as smaller tappy-tap-tap implements, in decreasing order of weight.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 14, 2018

coathat
May 21, 2007

The newly rebranded hitachi 36v tools are getting an adapter for corded use. https://www.acmetools.com/shop/tools/metabo-hpt-et36am?sscid=a1k2_f3gak&cm_mmc=Affiliate-_-SaS-_-1199618-_-619300

If you’re into that sort of thing.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Rebuilding my toolkit after my shed was broken into and it was all stolen. Current status:

Excuse the potato quality, my phone shat itself at 39% battery, and this was the best I got before that.

Clockwise from 12 o'clock, spiraling down: worklight with magnetic base stuck to the side of the box; Craftsman socket set; tape measure and axe-sharpening puck; random nuts/bolts/&c.; Bic lighter, loupe, and pocketknife with marlinspike; epoxy, Sharpie, and pencil; pliers and crescent wrench/precision screwdriver set; big prybar screwdrivers (see my previous post, it's the old ones and the spare set)/scissors; the Altoids tin is labeled "earhole pluggers" and contains several sets of foam earplugs; combo wrenches and Allen keys. In the bottom is an ancient L. Coes wrench, a hammer that is cross-peen both ways and weighs about eight ounces (one face is | and the other is --, if that helps. It's the one with the darker handle), a Horror Fright clicky torque wrench in its plastic case, an old-school framing hammer with an axe instead of claws because that's badass, and a ball-peen hammer mostly hidden under the light (between the axehammer and wrench).

Edit: to the left of the framing hammer is the rail of duplicate sockets. The set had like five 10mms, and one or two extra of the other most common sizes.

Edit again: I can lift it, but I don't want to. The box itself weighs 15lb and it's full of steel things. In other news, the scissors and weird metalworking hammer were inherited from my grandpa. :unsmith: Eventually I'll restore the box like this I got from him, but for now I just bought a new version of it.

What else do I need? The Coes wrench doubles as an Engineer's hammer, so "bigass implement of bashing" is covered. And I have the framing hammer, 1/2" ratchet, and screwdriver handles as smaller tappy-tap-tap implements, in decreasing order of weight.

All that stuff falls into the category of poo poo I'd never use so I'd get a second toolbox for most of it. Like get rid of all those hammers, duplicate sockets etc and put them in it.

Then get yourself an actual framing hammer with the capability to pull a nail, a pair of metal snips and a blade knife. Maybe needle nose pliers, a way to strip wire and electricians tools if mess with electricity at all. Speed square, chalk line if you frame or mess with any wood. Framing hammer with an axe instead of claws lol... useless

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I believe that is actually a roofing hammer.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Mr. Mambold posted:

I believe that is actually a roofing hammer.
Agreed, looks like a drywall hammer or a roofing hatchet. I don't see a claw, but a blade.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Ah yea I couldn't see, I definitely wouldn't carry around a slate hammer or shingle hatchet in my regular toolbox as I dont need the regular capability to line up shingles but I do need the regular capability to pull nails

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Looking for a new miter saw. Who makes Masterforce? I was looking at this one: https://www.menards.com/main/tools-...13570124&ipos=3

Think it's decent?

If not, I'll probably just spend another $100 and get the Dewalt version.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
First of all, that's the home shop box, lives in one place and is mostly for working on my car and the odds and ends not in my working box. This is the second box for the stuff that doesn't get used as much.

Second, yes, it's an old-style framing hammer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE0-I0T7Xhc&t=251s

I rarely-to-never actually build anything out 2x4 or bigger (if I did, of course I'd have a modern hammer), and if you can't tell from the design of the box and the ancient L. Coes wrench, I like old-style stuff.

Edit: non-potato photo:

The axe end of the hammer is really quite useful for splitting kindling, small tree-pruning, and such. Also I still need to get a replacement 4-lb engineer's hammer, for the serious hammering jobs.

At work, working with gondola shelving (i.e., rearranging grocery stores) everybody else has a rubber mallet, I have a 3-lb drilling hammer and a set of those demo drivers, because sometimes I have to fit a 48" shelf into a 47-3/4" space.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

a pair of metal snips and a blade knife. Maybe needle nose pliers, a way to strip wire and electricians tools if mess with electricity at all.
I have all that laying around somewhere, do need to put it in the box so I can find it. My father was an HVAC tech for 40 years, I'm constantly moving metal snips aside to find tools when I use my parents' shop. Same with wire crimpers and the associated connectors. I have appropriated both from his spare kit, just forgot to put them in the box and/or forgot where I put them. I really need to put the electrical stuff in the box, last time I used it a few months ago, I found it under the bed, I have no idea where it is now.

"A way to strip wire" ... that lives in my right trouser pocket. It's called a knife. There's a spare pocketknife in the box. Sure, there are tools made specifically for stripping wire, and I own one, it's just kinda pointless when you have a sharp knife. Also, I may not have mentioned it, but there is a razor knife/box-cutter in there.

Speaking of electrical things, I'm throwing in the 2-foot lamp cord with spade clips on the working end. It was made for testing a 120VAC motor, but also useful for general mayhem.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Oct 20, 2018

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Edit nvm

coathat
May 21, 2007

Recommendations on router planes? I’m looking to build some campaign chests so one is going to be a necessity. I’m leaning towards the veritas right now

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

coathat posted:

Recommendations on router planes? I’m looking to build some campaign chests so one is going to be a necessity. I’m leaning towards the veritas right now

I have the veritas one and have no complaints!

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Just watched the latest Hand Tool Rescue video, and found out hiding screws behind labels is not a new thing, and by "not new" I mean it's been going on since before most of our grandfathers were born (I'm 36). They were hiding screws behind labels in 1911, when the labels were made of brass.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Home Depot is running a pretty good tool sale with a buy a drill set and get a free tool, or buy a kit and get two free tools deal. It's akin to what they usually do around Father's Day and Black Friday.

https://www.homedepot.com/c/Power_Tool_Savings

I'm torn though, I've got a couple of Ryobi tools and batteries (Brushless recip saw, compact cordless router, work light), but I'm contemplating selling those off and picking up one of the Ridgid kits. I want to pick up a cordless circular saw either way, but now seems to be the time to decide which direction to head. I don't necessarily need the drills, but they would be nice, and one of the kits has the recip, circular saw, router, oscillating tool, small radio, handheld flashlight and two 4ah batteries plus the drill set for $350 which seems pretty stellar. I don't really need to spend the money, but that's a strong setup.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Rigid isn’t going to be that big of an upgrade over Ryobi, fwiw, unless you’re real into something that exists only on their platform

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I'm in the market for a replacement power drill so this is timely.

Between Milkwaukee, Makita, and DeWalt, does it mostly come down to brand preference? I'm not invested in any one brand as far as batteries go, so is DeWalt the clear winner here?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i'd wager milwaukee because they have the highest capacity batteries and it seems like there's always a good deal at home depot

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Between Milkwaukee, Makita, and DeWalt, does it mostly come down to brand preference? I'm not invested in any one brand as far as batteries go, so is DeWalt the clear winner here?

Think they're pretty much equal nowadays, so I'd recommend you checkout each line and see if they have tools exclusive to them that you need. Well, that and looks...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Looks for the system with the tools you absolutely need. If that ends up being more than one I'd probably shop on price.

For a home gamer you're already buying a step above what you likely "need" (and I totally suggest you do exactly that), so you really can't go wrong with any of the big 3.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Whatever is on sale I guess. You might not be invested in any one brand yet, but it's worth thinking about down the road. DeWalt is alright, I'm not a huge fan of them, I don't think they're a good value for the money. I went Ryobi for around the house, but I would buy Milwaukee if I wanted nicer tools. Just my 2cents. You can't really go wrong with any of them unless you have some unique requirements above and beyond a hobbyist homeowner type user.

If you can grab a DeWalt on sale though you'll be happy. I will say as Joe Average homeowner extraordinaire, I like the Ryobi ecosystem. The tools are decent, and being able to throw the battery in everything from a drill, to portable inflator I take to the pool, to lights and all sorts of other crap is super handy.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 1, 2018

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ben Nerevarine posted:

If you need something that will last, then Makita or Dewalt. Milwaukee makes many wonderful things, but in my experience battery powered tools aren’t one of them. You can about hammer a nail in with a DeWalt drill and it’ll be fine. Everything makita does is A+ too in my experience. If you just need something occasionally around the house, ryobi or whatever is on sale that day will be fine.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

If they all sell the tools you need pick the colour you prefer :haw:

E: this is the sole reason my elder brother uses Dewalt.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Thanks all for the input. I think I'm going to go with Milwaukee as it looks like the best bang for the buck here, I need a sawzall and I hear theirs is best in class, and... I like red. :thumbsup:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I've been binge-watching House lately (never bothered while it aired, thought it was about remodeling haha) and their go-to for brain drilling is a turquoise Makita looking drill. He sawed off a woman's leg with a yellow, clearly DeWalt sawzall however.....

hth :haw:

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
While not the big three, I've found that the 12V Bosch stuff is friggin fabulous.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Milwaukee [...] I need a sawzall and I hear theirs is best in class

Well, they literally invented the reciprocating saw, and they own that trademark 'Sawzall'.

My vote is for Milwaukee just because of all the major tool lines, they make the best battery-based yard equipment: handheld blower, weed wacker, chainsaw. It's on par with the Ego stuff, and you can use the batteries you buy for the lawn stuff on your power tools as well, which takes some of the sting out of buying costly lithium packs.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Tim Thomas posted:

While not the big three, I've found that the 12V Bosch stuff is friggin fabulous.

I have a corded Bosch router and jigsaw and I adore them.

B-Nasty posted:

Well, they literally invented the reciprocating saw, and they own that trademark 'Sawzall'.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

B-Nasty posted:

My vote is for Milwaukee just because of all the major tool lines, they make the best battery-based yard equipment: handheld blower, weed wacker, chainsaw. It's on par with the Ego stuff, and you can use the batteries you buy for the lawn stuff on your power tools as well, which takes some of the sting out of buying costly lithium packs.

I have all of these in Dewalt and they're all absolutely fantastic. Like everyone already said, pretty much pick the color your like because you'll likely be satisfied with any of the three choices.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

B-Nasty posted:

The heavy duty Sawzall’s (but not all the sawzalls) and a decent bit of their heavier duty/commercial stuff is still made in the USA, but the brand is owned by a Hong Kong based company that also owns Ridgid and Ryobi and most all their battery operated stuff is made in Asia. Not to say it’s not perfectly decent, but it might not be the Milwaukee you think you’re buying.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Want to do some soldering of small computer/stereo/other electronic components.

Is it worth spending a bit more for a Dremel soldering torch over a non-torch option?

Soldering Kit - $30:
https://www.amazon.com/Soldering-Iron-Kit-Temperature-Desoldering/dp/B073VDX4B7/ref=lp_13837371_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1541017519&sr=1-2

Dremel torch - $36:
https://www.amazon.com/Dremel-2000-01-Precision-Butane-Soldering/dp/B00MJW08JK/ref=lp_13837371_1_9?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1541017519&sr=1-9

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Tortilla Maker posted:

Want to do some soldering of small computer/stereo/other electronic components.

Is it worth spending a bit more for a Dremel soldering torch over a non-torch option?

Unless you need portability, you don't want a torch soldering iron. For an intro iron, this is pretty much the standard: https://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100-40-Watt-Soldering-Station/dp/B000AS28UC You can certainly make do with a basic iron ($20 or so), but it's probably worth paying for something where you can adjust the temp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xwing
Jul 2, 2007
red leader standing by

B-Nasty posted:

I've been happy with my Dewalt yard equipment as well. My favorite thing is to use the blower to stoke a burning yard pile. :dance: