Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Isn't the second image pretty much what Phoenix feels like every summer anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

A friend of mine got this in the mail, I'm going to be so mad if I don't get one.

War. War never changes...

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Panfilo posted:

Isn't the second image pretty much what Phoenix feels like every summer anyway?

Not just summertime! It’s finally below 100° out and only took a hurricane remnant to accomplish that.

The attack ads from McSally are pretty funny: “Sinema was a lawyer and shouldn’t be part of the Senate :kingsley:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Jurgan posted:

He was an Italian who was funded by the Spanish. Well, he was a Genoan- I don’t think Italy existed as a nation-state at the time.

Italy didn't exist as a nation, but the concept of Italians did. Although, Genoa itself variously was controlled by the French, the Milanese, and the Spanish around this time, but I believe it's considered an Italian state in any case.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

duffmensch posted:

Not just summertime! It’s finally below 100° out and only took a hurricane remnant to accomplish that.

The attack ads from McSally are pretty funny: “Sinema was a lawyer and shouldn’t be part of the Senate :kingsley:
I get those here "Sinema made attack ads that are so VVVVVILE you can't even show them to your daughter or your grandmother!"

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Since Phoenix would never be the actual target of a nuke, what would nuclear winter feel like there?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

A friend of mine got this in the mail, I'm going to be so mad if I don't get one.

That's a lenticular picture? Looks awesome

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

duffmensch posted:

God forbid you get a lawyer to, you know, write laws.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Scholtz posted:

Since Phoenix would never be the actual target of a nuke, what would nuclear winter feel like there?

It’s one of the largest cities in the US.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Scholtz posted:

95 instead of 120

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It’s one of the largest cities in the US.
Yeah but would they even notice the flesh searing fireball and dust storms?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah but would they even notice the flesh searing fireball and dust storms?

I mean, yeah? Who wouldn’t notice a cool breeze?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I grew up in Phoenix.

Give me the launch codes, I'll do it myself.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

More importantly what do you call the city built on the ashes? New Phoenix? That's stupid.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

OwlFancier posted:

More importantly what do you call the city built on the ashes? New Phoenix? That's stupid.

Based on precedent I think you'd call it Atlanta?

Maybe New Atlanta, I dunno.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Honestly, that's just dumb enough to loop around to clever.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Neo Tokyo

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

Nothing, you just don't build anything else there ever again.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
What is the proper response to the previous 6 FBI Kavanaugh investigations producing nothing? Maybe something about the reports not coming to congress? And as far as the 7th, I assume the problem with that was that nobody was questioned about sexual misconduct.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Aeka 2.0 posted:

What is the proper response to the previous 6 FBI Kavanaugh investigations producing nothing? Maybe something about the reports not coming to congress? And as far as the 7th, I assume the problem with that was that nobody was questioned about sexual misconduct.

Hard to investigate sexual assault claims when you're only allowed to interview people who witnessed a bank robbery 3 states away.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

the_steve posted:

Hard to investigate sexual assault claims when you're only allowed to interview people who witnessed a bank robbery 3 states away.

Kavanaugh, Ford, and other direct or corroborating witnesses weren't allowed to be questioned, soooooooo

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

OwlFancier posted:

Newclear Phoenix

Aeka 2.0 posted:

The previous 6 'investigations' were background checks and those are only going to be able to find what's on record. Unreported sexual assaults aren't going to show up.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

First 6 over the last many years were generic skeleton closet checks. As soon as there are allegations. Multiple. And implications from others that know him. Doing an 'investigation' where you dont investigate anyone and then declaring that's 7 he passed (implying 7 about sexual assualt) is where we are at.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 11, 2018

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Aeka 2.0 posted:

I am assuming that this is referring to the previous background checks that the FBI has performed at different stages of his career. Note that these are not investigations, they are standard clearance checks that everyone entering those positions completes. The purpose of these isn't really to search your history for hidden crimes, it is to determine if you are going to be an acceptable risk in handling information and power; people get denied all the time not for having committed crimes, but because they seem unreliable or have obvious points of weakeness that could lead them to leaking or selling information. For example, if you have a history of gambling problems, you can be denied because it creates an easy way for someone to get leverage over you. You can also pass while having committed a crime; maybe you did something dumb as a kid, you were caught, you served a penalty, and its behind you - they won't care unless they think that creates a situation for blackmail or similar leverage for someone to use against you.

The short answer you can give is that 'The previous times the FBI was doing a standard background check, not investigating specific claims or accusations. There's no reason Ford would have come up, because Ford hadn't made the incident public and Judge was probably blackout drunk. The FBI probably maybe even found that he drank and partied, but that's not a bar to clearance'.

I don't think that those checks are in a record anywhere, so we're not really sure what was found.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Also weren't there discrepancies between his past checks/testimony and stuff revealed by the most recent checks? Like him having access to the "Spying" email about SCOTUS nominees during Clinton's term that he denied in his 2006 confirmation hearing?

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Taerkar posted:

The previous 6 'investigations' were background checks and those are only going to be able to find what's on record. Unreported sexual assaults aren't going to show up.

Partially true. They'll call up or visit people from your past and fish around for information. So even if nothing had ever been reported, an event that someone was aware of or had heard about can show up here.

SickZip fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Oct 11, 2018

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

SickZip posted:

Partially true. They'll call up people from your past and fish around for information. So even if nothing had ever been reported, an event that someone was aware of or had heard about can show up here.

This is a guy who called friends who knew his third public assault victim 3 months before she came public to get their stories straight(and perjured himself lying about it).

So yeah he was used to and proactive about burying his skeletons. Maybe that was from 6 times practicing. Or maybe hes just an alcoholic rapist?

hes and alcoholic rapist that will determine my daughters' rights in the future

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
How many times did they try to find Clinton and Mr been ghazi's sex tape?

Say until kav has that many investigations and a 17 hour grilling that he 's not clear

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bombadilillo posted:

This is a guy who called friends who knew his third public assault victim 3 months before she came public to get their stories straight(and perjured himself lying about it).

So yeah he was used to and proactive about burying his skeletons. Maybe that was from 6 times practicing. Or maybe hes just an alcoholic rapist?

hes and alcoholic rapist that will determine my daughters' rights in the future

The crazy email forwards are coming from inside the thread.

You know you can just oppose him for not being progressive on women's rights? You don't need to make yourself believe that he's personally a rapist based on whatever distorted fourth hand version of events is reaching you.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

SickZip posted:

You know you can just oppose him for not being progressive on women's rights? You don't need to make yourself believe that he's personally a rapist based on whatever distorted fourth hand version of events is reaching you.

Yeah. Every news outlet is 4th hand news.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna915566

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 11, 2018

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

SickZip posted:

No that's what he did. Back in July Kavanaugh was getting ready for the Deborah Ramirez story to drop. It's also might have been what clued the Senate Republicans into preparing a list of women to contact if they needed some cover for Kavanaugh.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Have you guys actually read what the texts say? Because they don't say what you think they do. Notice how the article is very big on the word "suggests" but fails to say what the texts say. Nothing in the actual texts contradicts what he said or supports anything besides Berchem was trying to harass people into coming out against him.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Just so we're clear here, does 'whatever distorted fourth hand version of events is reaching you' also include the first-hand testimony of his actual victim, which was delivered in a televised congressional hearing under the penalty of perjury and at great personal and professional cost?

Because that's why I believe he's a rapist.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for the help guys. But since I really don't know how the FBI operates I'm in over my head:

My understanding is that the FBI doesn't need evidence to start an investigation, and what they get out of it is for prosecutors to decide what to do with it.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ashcans posted:

Just so we're clear here, does 'whatever distorted fourth hand version of events is reaching you' also include the first-hand testimony of his actual victim, which was delivered in a televised congressional hearing under the penalty of perjury and at great personal and professional cost?

Because that's why I believe he's a rapist.

Then I dont trust your judgement and no one else should either.

Memory is incredibly unreliable and open to suggestion. Treating a singular uncorroborated/contradicted account as gospel 30+ years after the fact is completely unjustified and basically flat-earth tier nonsense.

This is ignoring her variance in details from the sketchy unattributed account in her therapists notes to the letter to feinstein to the version she said under oath.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

SickZip posted:

Have you guys actually read what the texts say? Because they don't say what you think they do. Notice how the article is very big on the word "suggests" but fails to say what the texts say. Nothing in the actual texts contradicts what he said or supports anything besides Berchem was trying to harass people into coming out against him.
" On Sept, 22nd, Yarasavage texted Berchem that she had shared the photo with “Brett’s team.” "

"In a series of texts before the publication of the New Yorker story, Yarasavage wrote that she had been in contact with “Brett's guy,” and also with “Brett,” who wanted her to go on the record to refute Ramirez. According to Berchem, Yarasavage also told her friend that she turned over a copy of the wedding party photo to Kavanaugh, writing in a text: “I had to send it to Brett’s team too.”"

Now she might be lying, but other text messages also came out later which match up with it. "Don't F****** TELL PEOPLE BRETT GOT IN TOUCH WITH ME!!! I TOLD YOU AT THE TIME THAT WAS IN CONFIDENCE!!!" is pretty straight forward.

Kavanaugh claims he was only made aware of the Ramirez story when the New Yorker article was published, on the 23rd, yet Berchem has text messages (if you trust that NBC did their due diligence here which seems to be the case) where Kavanaugh tried to fish up photos at least a day in advance. The Charlton story was even earlier than that.

edit: if you want to give him leeway for saying that he had at least heard of Ramirez reaching out to others in advance, I mean you're free to but don't pretend it's some sort of "distorted fourth hand" hearsay people are operating off of. And that's a lot of leeway given to a guy who has provably lied to congress in the past.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 11, 2018

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

SickZip posted:

Memory is incredibly unreliable and open to suggestion. Treating a singular uncorroborated/contradicted account as gospel 30+ years after the fact is completely unjustified and basically flat-earth tier nonsense.

This is ignoring her variance in details from the sketchy unattributed account in her therapists notes to the letter to feinstein to the version she said under oath.

Memory about unimportant details is unreliable, so identifying a stranger rapist based on memory has resulted in false imprisonments - saying that a person you know raped you and getting the color of his shirt wrong is a waaaay different scale of error.

Dr. Ford even testified as such, because she's a loving expert on memory.

Also:
https://oodlenoodleroodle.tumblr.com/post/178759883840/tbc-since-tumblrs-posting-methods-changed-linked

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

SickZip posted:

:stare:

Ok. NOW the crazy email is coming from inside the thread :smug:

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

:stare:

Ok. NOW the crazy email is coming from inside the thread :smug:

Peep that rap sheet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TGLT posted:

" On Sept, 22nd, Yarasavage texted Berchem that she had shared the photo with “Brett’s team.” "

"In a series of texts before the publication of the New Yorker story, Yarasavage wrote that she had been in contact with “Brett's guy,” and also with “Brett,” who wanted her to go on the record to refute Ramirez. According to Berchem, Yarasavage also told her friend that she turned over a copy of the wedding party photo to Kavanaugh, writing in a text: “I had to send it to Brett’s team too.”"

Now she might be lying, but other text messages also came out later which match up with it. "Don't F****** TELL PEOPLE BRETT GOT IN TOUCH WITH ME!!! I TOLD YOU AT THE TIME THAT WAS IN CONFIDENCE!!!" is pretty straight forward.

Kavanaugh claims he was only made aware of the Ramirez story when the New Yorker article was published, on the 23rd, yet Berchem has text messages (if you trust that NBC did their due diligence here which seems to be the case) where Kavanaugh tried to fish up photos at least a day in advance. The Charlton story was even earlier than that.

From Kavanaugh's testimony on the 25th

quote:

Judge Kavanaugh: They couldn’t — the New York Times couldn’t corroborate this story and found that she was calling around to classmates trying to see if they remembered it. And I, at least — and I, myself, heard about that, that she was doing that.
He specifically said under oath that he was aware of Ramirez calling other alumni trying to get backing for her accusations.

For reference, YK in the following exchange is the one close to Kavanaugh and Berchem is one who went to the media with these "damning" text messages

quote:

Berchem: ‘Kind of cool to think about how much [Brett Kavanaugh] has done since he chased you around like the whipped pup that he was.’ [Y.K. dated Kavanaugh.]

Berchem: ‘The Supreme Court is gonna be scary with or without him.’

Y.K.: ‘Think they’ll come around asking me questions?? Lol’

Berchem: ‘Hahaha. The Dems may ask you so as to sabatoge

quote:

Berchem: ‘Seriously [Y.K.], if Brett put you up to saying some of the stuff you should come out and say that. Because you and [your husband] are going to get crushed. This completely sucks and what’s happening is that where I’ll be coming victims. I’m looking at my text and I realize you cannot hear the tone in my voice. I am freaking out… But you guys have to get prepared. Tell [your husband] immediately.’

Berchem again seems to have failed to screenshot messages where Y.K. seems to have defended her failure to back up Ramirez’s allegations against Kavanaugh:

Berchem: ‘I am not trying to tell you what to do. But is there a reason she [Deborah Ramirez] fell off grid? And if in fact this happened do you want to be a part of hurting her even further?’

Y.K.: ‘I understand what you are saying but I’m not trashing her. Simply saying we were friends and I never heard this from her nor any one else…just odd that I never heard a word of this.’

quote:

Berchem in the morning: ‘I wish I had told you what to do.’

Berchem in the evening: ‘The silence speaks volumes.’

Berchem: ‘I believe he is victimizing all of you for his benefit.’

Finally, Y.K. responds: ‘The silence is because this whole situation is awful. Many people have been affected by this, not just her and him. It is all hard to digest. I was a bit put off by you saying ‘I wish I had told you what to do.’ I don’t get that. Why are you telling me what to do? … I know what I know about both people and I can only speak the truth.’

Y.K. continues: ‘I reached out to you yesterday as a friend, outside of all this. Just really hard for me to reconcile any of this. When I say Brett was vanilla with me, I mean it. He turned his back when I changed in his room. I don’t plan to mention our long courtship, lol, unless it is brought up.’