Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
This chop is excruciating, please rally into the end of the day tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

The Butcher posted:

Not for stock gambling reasons but what model sports car should everyone buy?

The 981 Cayman S is the best choice for a man of excellent taste.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Way ahead of you boss :smuggo:

The BMW M2 Competition is generally considered the sweet spot of price and performance

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That's one hell of a car and a price tag, haha. Maybe if I was still in the medical field. The M2 competition allows me to keep my targeted stock, Bond, sports car allocations. Would if I could, though

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Isn't every statistic pointing at there being a huge shortage in Canada, at least for the first year?

From what I remember the big few (Canopy, Aphria, Aurora, Organigram, maybe some more) have enough stockpiled to justify their prices - if there is going to be a huge shortage they should all sell out technically. Canopy might not be any more after The Deal but that's their reason.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Guys, I'm sad.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Brony Car posted:

Guys, I'm sad.

Why are you sad, Brony Car?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
EDIT: Whoops. Double post.

Brony Car fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 11, 2018

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Why are you sad, Brony Car?

I'm losing money. All my planned midlife crisis mantoys are getting washed away... like tears in rain.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Literally was sitting on a decent amount of cash waiting for a dip until October 3rd, when I finally just said "gently caress it, tired of stressing about this" and put it in an index...

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Literally was sitting on a decent amount of cash waiting for a dip until October 3rd, when I finally just said "gently caress it, tired of stressing about this" and put it in an index...

Market value is down but you still own the same number of shares. Just wait until the market value is up, and then sell it if you need money.

(original strategy but feel free to copy)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

AMRN is up 11% today, although still off it's all time high from last week. Invest in fish oil IMO

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Amazing day today, absolutely marvelous volatility not seen in months, maybe even years. Constant swings throughout the day. Made $3,300 on price action alone.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I was down $50k at one point today but I've clawed back to down $10k, today sucks but somehow still feels like a win

Edit:lmao I'm almost green

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Actually also, invest in whoever supplies cinder blocks, concrete, asphalt, etc. to the florida panhandle region

And remember those 2M dead chickens in south carolina from the previous storm? Should we have been investing in chicken futures? Resurrect chicken chat pls

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Closed out my vxx calls, don’t care if it was too early

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Leperflesh posted:

Actually also, invest in whoever supplies cinder blocks, concrete, asphalt, etc. to the florida panhandle region

And remember those 2M dead chickens in south carolina from the previous storm? Should we have been investing in chicken futures? Resurrect chicken chat pls

Home depot.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Hooooly poo poo I'm green, this has been the wildest day since 2008 for me

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Volume is absolutely bonkers

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Guinness posted:

I've bought a lot of legal stuff in WA and in my experience as long as you get mid-grade stuff or better the quality is all so high that it really doesn't matter much to anyone but the most discerning consumer. Extracts have some variation in quality so it's worth spending a little more. Then edibles are pretty tightly regulated to have <10mg per "serving" so it's all kind of same same.

You could say the same things about wineries and exotic liquor producers. I'm sure someone will end up being the Gray Goose of weed. But even Gray Goose took five year to build up it's overinflated reputation. One year is not long enough to create a reputation among snooty connoisseurs.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Looks like Sears is heading towards liquidation instead of reorg. Anyone want to make bets on who is next to collapse in this downturn/rising rates environment?

I have a nominee:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

2 big down days and a Friday tomorrow. You’d expect maybe a down 300 day but who knows

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Josh Lyman posted:

2 big down days and a Friday tomorrow. You’d expect maybe a down 300 day but who knows

big bounce tomorrow, i checked with my uncle

edit: he works for warren buffet

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

A bounce on a Friday? I am not sure. I think if it was gonna bounce today was the day. It opened up strong especially NASDAQ regained a lot of points until mid day where it all went back to poo poo.

Josh Lyman posted:

I am guessing it will bounce Monday or Tuesday if not its gonna be another red week.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Isn't every statistic pointing at there being a huge shortage in Canada, at least for the first year?

From what I remember the big few (Canopy, Aphria, Aurora, Organigram, maybe some more) have enough stockpiled to justify their prices - if there is going to be a huge shortage they should all sell out technically. Canopy might not be any more after The Deal but that's their reason.

Actually I have read it both ways. But most people saying its gonna be oversupplied cite Colorado as an example. From all the Canadian sources it is seems there will be a large shortage.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
its actually all about what dickhead Dimon says on the cc in the am. If he pumps, we jump. I have no idea where you guys are getting the idea that markets dont rally on Fridays (wtf)

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

greasyhands posted:

I have no idea where you guys are getting the idea that markets dont rally on Fridays (wtf)

I ran a daily average move on S&P mini futures out of curiosity because it does seem like Friday's are worse. And they apparently are!

Monday: 0.22785
Tuesday: 0.53307
Wednesday: 0.40824
Thursday: 0.31749
Friday: -0.01933

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
I jumped in too fast so hurting too, but why not BABA? its 30% off its highs.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

fougera posted:

I jumped in too fast so hurting too, but why not BABA? its 30% off its highs.

I’m buying a lot of China here. Tons of JD, some BYDDF and some VIPS. I’m dragging my feet on BABA but I like it and TCEHY, and I’m actually considering IQ.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Droo posted:

I ran a daily average move on S&P mini futures out of curiosity because it does seem like Friday's are worse. And they apparently are!

Monday: 0.22785
Tuesday: 0.53307
Wednesday: 0.40824
Thursday: 0.31749
Friday: -0.01933

What is the timeframe on this? What does the number represent? Percent move or what?

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 12, 2018

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Pryor on Fire posted:

Looks like Sears is heading towards liquidation instead of reorg. Anyone want to make bets on who is next to collapse in this downturn/rising rates environment?

I have a nominee:

Yikes what a bunch of brands that peaked and just borrowed to fund executive payoffs. Banks really will lend to anyone.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

greasyhands posted:

What is the timeframe on this? What does the number represent? Percent move or what?

It's just tick change since 1982. Percentage change looks generally the same.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Droo posted:

It's just tick change since 1982. Percentage change looks generally the same.

I dunno, that flies in the face of everything I’ve ever seen. The only ‘day’ effect that I’m aware of is weekend effect (Monday effect in this article, but it’s the same thing) which basically says that stocks tend to drop on Mondays.

https://www.investopedia.com/day-trading/best-time-day-week-month-trade-stocks/

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

greasyhands posted:

I dunno, that flies in the face of everything I’ve ever seen. The only ‘day’ effect that I’m aware of is weekend effect (Monday effect in this article, but it’s the same thing) which basically says that stocks tend to drop on Mondays.

https://www.investopedia.com/day-trading/best-time-day-week-month-trade-stocks/

Well I don't have data back to the incorporation of the dutch east india trading company, but I don't really think pre-computerized trading data (that link goes back to 1885) is that relevant for this kind of thing so I would definitely pick somewhere between 1980 and 2005 as a reasonable starting date.

Not that I would trade based on anything like this, it's just random outcomes either way. Starting in 2000, Friday is still worst. But starting in 2017 it's actually the best day.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Droo posted:

Well I don't have data back to the incorporation of the dutch east india trading company, but I don't really think pre-computerized trading data (that link goes back to 1885) is that relevant for this kind of thing so I would definitely pick somewhere between 1980 and 2005 as a reasonable starting date.

Not that I would trade based on anything like this, it's just random outcomes either way. Starting in 2000, Friday is still worst. But starting in 2017 it's actually the best day.

That I agree with, which was basically my original point- being hesitant to buy because it’s Friday is silly

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
I got wrecked at the end of yesterday, but made up for it with whatever was going on today. I was invested in a bunch of food poo poo and I guess nobody could figure out a better place for all the money for the first three days of the drop. I finally emptied the last of the cash into index leaps, and I'm pretty happy to let the invisible hand take the wheel in this position. I need <2% weighted with the s&p to break even with this position at the end of the year, and will maybe probably hopefully sell most before then.

Still don't remember why I have RHT calls.

I will refrain from buying options on friday if theta fucks up the odds, that's the idea behind it I think.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Oct 12, 2018

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Looks like you guys were right. Good bounce going on today mainly because of EU/Asia markets bouncing pre market.

E: still could be another sell off in the afternoon but JP morgan earnings were also good, if citi posts another good earning will give confidence to the market.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 12, 2018

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Jamie Dimon basically spelled out that the whole cycle is ending and theres going to be problems, but for some reason the market doesn't care. Cramer is on CNBC complaining about Dimon's tone despite the strong numbers, lmao

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I have no sense if this is going to be like February where we had a pullback but then continued higher or if we’ll actually drift lower after today’s relief rally.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
I think we could close red today

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

greasyhands posted:

I think we could close red today

I expect it. Flat or red, depending on the will to stay flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
In a bit of lucky timing, I had a bunch of a high-ER high-Growth Mutual Fund kicking around for a few months and made like 30% on it YTD, and last month sold off most of it to pay some bills. After the selloff the thing cratered to -5% YTD. I'm Warren loving Buffett over here.