Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
JavaScript code:
function sanitize2(text)
{
    text = text.replace(/&/g, 'and');
    text = text.replace(/\\/g, 'backslash');
    text = text.replace(/%/g, 'percent');
    text = text.replace(/\+/g, 'plus');
    text = text.replace(/"/g, 'dQuote');
    text = text.replace(/'/g, 'sQuote');
    text = text.replace(/\n/g, 'new line');
    text = text.replace(/\r/g, 'carriage return');
    text = text.replace(/</g, 'less than');
    text = text.replace(/>/g, 'greater than');
    text = text.replace(/\</g, 'less than');
    text = text.replace(/\>/g, 'greater than');
    return text;
}
I wonder what sanitize1 was :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Double-postin':

XML code:
    <rewrite>
      <rules>
        <rule name="DebugTraceDumpBlockingRule" stopProcessing="true">
          <match url=".*" />
          <conditions>
            <add input="{QUERY_STRING}" pattern="^e=1$|^e=1&|(&e=1)" />
          </conditions>
          <action type="AbortRequest" />
        </rule>
      </rules>
    </rewrite>
You did it. You fixed the issue where anybody could add e=1 to your login page and see a dump of server info, including the key pair. Now the server just drops the connection. Good job fixing the issue via rewrite rules, instead of, say, disabling the debug dump. Good job also not announcing to your customers how trivially easy it was for people to steal your keys.

Oh, whoops, except you can still do e=%31 and see the dump anyway. Oh well.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Magissima posted:

What about for those of us not stuck in the Android ghetto?

Kotlin works anywhere Java works. Android is the main place it's used but far from the only place.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

TheresaJayne posted:

Each language has its place or it wouldnt have been created. (except that religious language and operating system - that is idiotic)

TempleOS and HolyC were created for noble and pure reasons, and I'm not being ironic in the least. They were created to be a modern home computer system in the vein of the Commodore 64, with all the creative freedom that came with them, and parts of their design are sheer genius. They were also created out of religious devotion: god told Terry to build him a temple, and he built him a temple in the only way he knew. Terry was insane and a douchebag, but he deserves mad respect for what he did and why

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

CPColin posted:

JavaScript code:
function sanitize2(text)
{
    text = text.replace(/&/g, 'and');
    text = text.replace(/\\/g, 'backslash');
    text = text.replace(/%/g, 'percent');
    text = text.replace(/\+/g, 'plus');
    text = text.replace(/"/g, 'dQuote');
    text = text.replace(/'/g, 'sQuote');
    text = text.replace(/\n/g, 'new line');
    text = text.replace(/\r/g, 'carriage return');
    text = text.replace(/</g, 'less than');
    text = text.replace(/>/g, 'greater than');
    text = text.replace(/\</g, 'less than');
    text = text.replace(/\>/g, 'greater than');
    return text;
}
I wonder what sanitize1 was :ohdear:

Please don't post forums code

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Sereri posted:

Please don't post forums code

Sorry. How about this sequence of events:

• Logs in and tries to access a page in the vendor's web application
  • Gets redirected to error.asp, which is a 404
  • Query string is ?errorno=900&errortext=User does not have access to the mask (WFFORM, Cookie=WFFORM=0).
  • :thunk:
  • Sets cookie value to WFFORM=1
  • Tries to access page again
  • Succeeds

I think this vendor isn't very good at this "security" stuff.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

CPColin posted:

Sorry. How about this sequence of events:

• Logs in and tries to access a page in the vendor's web application
  • Gets redirected to error.asp, which is a 404
  • Query string is ?errorno=900&errortext=User does not have access to the mask (WFFORM, Cookie=WFFORM=0).
  • :thunk:
  • Sets cookie value to WFFORM=1
  • Tries to access page again
  • Succeeds

I guess they could have shown you the page anyway when WFFORM was zero, so it could have been worse....

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

CPColin posted:

Is this a vendor you could dump?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

redleader posted:

Is this a vendor you could dump?

I wish!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
node.js would silently stop calling setTimeout or setInterval callbacks once your app hit 25 days' uptime.

Choice maintainer comments:

quote:

For what it's worth you are not supposed to rely on timers staying running for a month.

Uh huh.

quote:

Note that what I meant by that isn't that your services aren't expected to be up for a month. It's that redundancy is expected (2+ instances behind a load balancer) so servers are resilient to failure.

Right, the fix is to have two node instances up for 25+ days so they can take turns not calling their callbacks.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

pokeyman posted:

Right, the fix is to have two node instances up for 25+ days so they can take turns not calling their callbacks.
If you're not building all of your applications to act "at scale" no matter what the actual requirements are, you're not building for the future and should be fired immediately for your lack of vision.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I'm trying to remember an old Ruby horror. It was a graphics manipulation library, someone noticed it performing poorly, the root cause was something like "per-pixel methods relied on the method failing to be found at every level of the hierarchy and hitting the one defined at the top level". Anyone recall what I'm talking about?

pokeyman posted:

I'm asking for backups and load balancers on everything. It's the only way to count out past a month you know!

return0
Apr 11, 2007
To be fair, having a single server up continuously for a month without interruption is not ideal.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

return0 posted:

To be fair, having a single server up continuously for a month without interruption is not ideal.

why not

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

The closest thing to a correct answer is kernel upgrades, but a lot of web developers will say that restarting your server periodically is the best solution to memory leaks.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
Keeping a server running without a break for such a long period of time could violate local labour laws, and gives the server a chance to take a quick breather to gather their thoughts.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
This website is available 9-5 Monday through Friday

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Magissima posted:

This website is available 9-5 Monday through Friday

Literally every government site that accepts payments.

If I make a payment at 6pm on Friday for student loans it doesn't post to my account until Tuesday or wednesday

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

If you're not deploying every two weeks you're not agile and therefore bad and wrong. Don't question the time period - it must be two weeks because that is the agile way.

creatine posted:

Literally every government site that accepts payments.

If I make a payment at 6pm on Friday for student loans it doesn't post to my account until Tuesday or wednesday

Balance reconciliation takes multiple business days because the bank can hold the money and earn penny shavings off of it for free and so has no incentive to make the process faster.

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Oct 11, 2018

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
Canada Revenue Agency login is only available 21 hours a day. They have maintenance daily from 3am to 6am est. Lame, I like managing my taxes at 4 am.

return0
Apr 11, 2007

xtal posted:

The closest thing to a correct answer is kernel upgrades, but a lot of web developers will say that restarting your server periodically is the best solution to memory leaks.

We rolling replace hosts frequently in case any prior vulnerability caused that host to be owned as one plank of a defence in depth policy.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

return0 posted:

We rolling replace hosts frequently in case any prior vulnerability caused that host to be owned as one plank of a defence in depth policy.

Oh snap I like that idea :allears:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Munkeymon posted:

Oh snap I like that idea :allears:

I like it too, and hadn't thought of it when I made my post. But I think it would also have hardly any impact in practice. The host would get immediately, automatically re-owned unless the reboot fixed the vulnerability, which is the time when you would do a manual reboot.

Since it would force the attacker to try again, it may be valuable for defense in depth if the cost is low enough, but it doesn't add any real security.

xtal fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 11, 2018

return0
Apr 11, 2007
Consider a hypothetical vulnerability, either in application code, kernel, etc., which owns a host and allows arbitrary fuckery, such that the fuckery survives a subsequent reboot and/or patch. It’s to mitigate this by reducing the scope of the impact by replacing the host. It’s not a silver bullet, but I think it’s a worthwhile and cheap addition to the defence.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Does replacing the host simply entail wiping and reinstalling? If you reinstall the same vulnerability, the attacker can just repeat it. But if you replace as part of an update after a vulnerability fix, you also close any backdoors or similar left after the vulnerability first provided access.

return0
Apr 11, 2007
Replacing in this context refers to taking a host out of the load balancer and returning it to our cloud provider while simultaneously provisioning and bootstrapping a new host, and adding it to the load balancer.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Co worker asked me to look at an SQL query that was returning odd results for him. It's selecting a series of values from a historic table, where he wants only the most recent value. I'm actually kind of amazed it nearly worked:
code:
SELECT
 (tonnes of stuff)
FROM
 (tonnes of joins)
WHERE
  CreateDate IN(select MAX(CreateDate) from HistoryTable Where HistoryID=JoinTableAbove.HistoryID Group By CreateDate)
For the non sql users this is a bad idea; what if two CreateDates are identical? What if CreateDate is NULL? The weird thing is that it mostly worked. The weirder thing is HistoryTable has synthetic incrementing IDs anyway, so the highest value will always be the most current.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

1. gently caress off

2. gently caress offffffff

AstuteCat
May 4, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

1. gently caress off

I'm going to bet that this is the product of someone who learned to code at university while doing a thesis of some kind.

I'll also bet that they claim that they understand it just fine...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

AstuteCat posted:

I'm going to bet that this is the product of someone who learned to code at university while doing a thesis of some kind.

I'll also bet that they claim that they understand it just fine...

I found the culprit for the copy/paste block of garbage single-letter variables. Of course *some* people think it's good code..
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/149055/how-can-i-format-numbers-as-dollars-currency-string-in-javascript/149099#149099

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Jaded Burnout posted:

IMO you should change the variable names so that they spell out "gently caress this"

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Jaded Burnout posted:

I found the culprit for the copy/paste block of garbage single-letter variables. Of course *some* people think it's good code..
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/149055/how-can-i-format-numbers-as-dollars-currency-string-in-javascript/149099#149099

A choice quote:

Someone who probably calls themselves a 'rockstar' un-ironically posted:

Wow, sure the code may not be the prettiest, but if you're worth your salt as a 'programmer', it is definitely not overly complicated or undecipherable, assuming you know how to read code, that is.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Hammerite posted:

IMO you should change the variable names so that they spell out "gently caress this"

And it's half way there already!

LOOK I AM A TURTLE
May 22, 2003

"I'm actually a tortoise."
Grimey Drawer
The best part of that SO post is the guy in the comments who chose to focus on the use of x == undefined instead of typeof(x) === 'undefined'.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Jaded Burnout posted:

If you find yourself assigning a variable to itself within the function-wide definition of that variable for a variable that's already defined in the function's scope you're probably beyond hope. This seems like one of those vertical alignment motivated coding horrors except there's so much more to it.

Also, you all missed the real obvious significance of these single letter variable names:

c = "count of significant figures after the decimal point"
d = decimal point
t = triple digit separator
s = sign
i = I gave up trying to think of how to describe this
j = justify using a triple digit separator

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 12, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Khorne posted:

Also, you all missed the real obvious significance of these single letter variable names:

c = "count of significant figures after the decimal point"
d = decimal point
t = triple digit separator
s = sign
i = I gave up trying to think of how to describe this
j = justify using a triple digit separator

I actually wound up digging this up because I needed to find someone who had translated them. `t` could also be "thousands" and `s` is presumably "symbol".

The whole thing needs replacing but I just removed half the configuration since we were only ever passing in `0` as `c` and everything else stayed default.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Jaded Burnout posted:

Someone's spent too long reading minified code and thinks it's actual code.

LOOK I AM A TURTLE posted:

The best part of that SO post is the guy in the comments who chose to focus on the use of x == undefined instead of typeof(x) === 'undefined'.

But what if x is null??

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Doom Mathematic posted:

But what if x is null??

Ah, a nihilist

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Jaded Burnout posted:

I actually wound up digging this up because I needed to find someone who had translated them. `t` could also be "thousands" and `s` is presumably "symbol".

The whole thing needs replacing but I just removed half the configuration since we were only ever passing in `0` as `c` and everything else stayed default.

Also it doesn't cover east asian numbering systems, which divide on ten thousands for culturo-linguistic reasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Tarezax posted:

Also it doesn't cover east asian numbering systems, which divide on ten thousands for culturo-linguistic reasons

.... lakh, crore....