Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Warhawk109 posted:

Yea, listening to you guys I think I’m leaning more towards shelter.

One of my cousins had a dog, and kept it caged while they were gone, and it ended up killing itself somehow (I don’t remember the specifics exactly).

It’s something completely different than cat ownership that I’m used to, so I want to be sure that we are prepared for everything involved before we make the commitment. I would never want something like that to happen to us.

I genuinely don't know how that's even possible outside of extreme neglect on the part of the owner or some kind of impossibly rare combination of circumstances. Doing a quick Google search I read something about a dog getting strangled by its collar when boarded with another dog, but even then that seems rare. We don't leave our dog with anything in the crate aside from a bed, and we use a dog treat to get her in there (which is consumed so fast it's gone before we're out the door). I recommend a plastic dog kennel (the clamshell style) and a pillow style dog bed in case the dog pees itself or gets sick. Make sure the kennel is appropriately sized for the dog (not too big). The chances of a dog hurting itself inside the kennel seem far less than the chances of a dog hurting itself in the home.

As EvilMerlin said not all dogs are going to be easy to work with, but you'll know that long before you adopt them since the shelter or rescue group will have worked so closely.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Dogs are easy. You train them, pay them attention, feed them, and walk them. In exchange they will love you unconditionally and treat you like the awesome human that you are. Rescue dogs (shelter or rescue groups) will have already been checked out for health, temperament, and how suitable they are for various conditions (cats, children, etc). They'll also generally be healthier than purebreds, you won't be funding an industry that exploits dogs, and you'll feel good about yourself. The vast majority of stuff about breeds will apply to mixes. If you get a pit bull mix (which I highly endorse) you'll get a dog that's likely smart, great around people, but is confident around other dogs and can potentially have dominance issues. If you get a husky mix you'll get an animal that likely loves to run and escape. If you get a rottweiler mix you'll likely get a dog that's amazing in every possible way and gently caress I miss my dog Max.

I recommend crating your dog so that there's no chance of them getting into trouble while you're gone, plus it provides them with a safe space that's theirs. I like to use grain free food since it's a better quality product (4Health or Taste of the Wild are the ones I'm most familiar with). The biggest thing is making sure you have enough time for your dog, especially if they're younger and will be more active. A bored dog is a destructive dog, but a tired dog is a happy dog. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions or whatever, I've had dogs my whole life.

I approve of this post!

Everything on this post is accurate.

My dogs all get Taste of the Wild (Buffalo and Venison) as it is grain free and full of good poo poo for them.

All our dogs get crate trained for around a full year to make sure they are not destructive to the house. So far, its worked out well. Tessa, our newest pupper still has some pee issues, but she is at least indicating now that she needs to go outside, I just need to be on my toes and when she goes to the door, I drat well better be there in a few seconds, else I am cleaning the hardwood floor yet again. The crate is also good because Tessa still has food envy issues and will bark and nip if any of the other animals come near her food. She is getting better, but then again, some fuckign douche nozzle tied her up with barbed wire as a puppy (she has scars on her belly and head from it) and abused her with food by starving her and having her pull the barbed wired deeper into her to get to the food. I'm glad I never found out who did it to her because I would kill said person in much the same way Tessa was abused... But now? Now she is the most loving thing on the planet. If a bit loud at times...

Some dogs are one dog only. Some love other dogs. Our three need to like (not just tolerate) other dogs, cats and horses. Chickens are entertainment for all three... and good eating too.

When it comes to picking out a dog... seriously, listen to your heart. The right dog finds YOU, you don't find the right dog...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Glad you're giving Tessa a better life. That's horrifying.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I genuinely don't know how that's even possible outside of extreme neglect on the part of the owner or some kind of impossibly rare combination of circumstances. Doing a quick Google search I read something about a dog getting strangled by its collar when boarded with another dog, but even then that seems rare. We don't leave our dog with anything in the crate aside from a bed, and we use a dog treat to get her in there (which is consumed so fast it's gone before we're out the door). I recommend a plastic dog kennel (the clamshell style) and a pillow style dog bed in case the dog pees itself or gets sick. Make sure the kennel is appropriately sized for the dog (not too big). The chances of a dog hurting itself inside the kennel seem far less than the chances of a dog hurting itself in the home.

As EvilMerlin said not all dogs are going to be easy to work with, but you'll know that long before you adopt them since the shelter or rescue group will have worked so closely.

Yep. I've only heard of very strange chance accidents with crates.

Tessa gets one chew toy and her stuffed giraffe in the crate when she goes night-night (yes, we train them all to understand night-night, and its awesome to watch them get ready for bed).

Its a big crate, about 5 feet long, 3 feet wide and 3 feet tall as Tessa is about 60 lbs right now... Half of the bottom of the crate has a Kong Dog Matress in it covered with a nice thick blanket.

Once a dog understands what the crate is they TYPICALLY will not piss or poo poo in it (puking is a whole other topic) because they understand it's their safe zone...

Crate training makes dogs better.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Glad you're giving Tessa a better life. That's horrifying.

Seriously Beer, hearing her cry the first few nights for food in her crate after lights out was heart wrenching.

This is her the first week we had her: https://imgur.com/gallery/UZiIrmf

You can see Sawyer (the black lab/newfie mix in the background of one image), and Freya (the GSD/Hound mix in another).

Here is the SO with Freya. This is how we spend most of our weekends.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

EvilMerlin posted:

Careful. This isn't always true.

Some shelter dogs are almost impossible to train, especially if older. Some are already trained. You don't know until you meet the pupper and work with the pupper.

Good catch, some caveats do apply. As I said if a dog has had a bad history such as violent owners or neglect or owners that anthropomorphise them too much, they might come with behavioural issues that are difficult to unlearn. However, reputable shelters will know about this. They also have no interest in setting people up with dogs they can't handle. Speak to the employees there and let them introduce you to a couple of suitable dogs. Maybe take them out for walks a couple of times. Test out their reaction to other dogs and people you meet. If they are chill with you, boom there's your new furry eternal toddler.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 11, 2018

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Gimme clicks.
https://youtu.be/z7s84VRVdhg

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Lord Stimperor posted:

I cannot comment on specific breeds but my advice would be to visit a shelter. There are always many dogs available for adoption. All of them will be extremely grateful to find a loving home. People tend to avoid dark dogs and mixed breeds which is dumb because mixed breeds are usually healthier than purebred dogs (i.e. not inbred). Maybe most importantly consider a dog that isn't a puppy anymore but at least somewhat adult. 5 years is still young for smaller breeds. Moreover, unless they came from an environment of constant abuse they, will be better trained than the average first time owner could achieve on the first try. There is some lonely pupper somewhere in a shelter who is waiting for you.

Sorry new mone- um dogs only

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

What if what we saw was the game, though?

Consider the "mission" they gave - go get something off a crashed satellite. Generic procedurally generated mission #2412 - been around for decades.

How a normal game would do it: You get directions and head out. Maybe you have a vehicle, maybe on foot. You encounter flying/walking enemies as you travel. Combat ensues. You finally reach the destination and hit a button or something. Perhaps there's an ambush. You fight your way home and turn it in. The gameplay is the gunfighting/dogfighting, which is engaged with throughout the quest.

How Star Citizen is doing it: You walk slowly through a space station filled with spectacles. You can pick up or put down a mug, but there's no practical purpose for doing so. The quest giver has detailed facial animations and hand movements. You wait for him to stop talking, hit button after button after button to pull up some in-game menu that's not an abstraction but an actual hologram built into the spacesuit. You wait for a train. You laboriously climb into your cockpit. You fly for a long time, then have to land at the destination. You crawl physically through wreckage looking for the specific part the quest calls for. You need to physically pick up the parts, turning them around in space to see where the part number is stamped. If it's dark you have to hold it up to a light source to read it. Maybe a scripted ambush occurs, maybe not. The entire event takes hours. The gameplay is painstakingly experiencing the minutia of your hand movements, the fact that a mug can be picked up and put down, or the dust coming from a vent - the exact things an autistic person focuses on to exclusion.

I can drive to Wendy's right now and buy a burger to bring home. After the trip the only thing I'm going to remember, if anything, is that hey, now I have a burger.

The backers will remember holding the doorknob and turning it to leave the house. They will remember opening the car door, starting the engine, gripping the wheel, hitting the pedals. Every movement which for a normal person is automatic is focused on and recorded in their brains. These recordings are overwriting other key areas, like social ability and hygiene. When that person gets home with the burger (assuming they remember it) they will tell you to a degree how hot the steering wheel was, or the color of the car in front of them at the red light.

That is the game Chris is making, and those are the people he's making it for. What I saw yesterday was practically the ground work for a psychological study.

David Cage is already frothing at the mouth for how CR plans to abuse his female stars and show their naked digital bodies in his "masterpiece of drama".

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hmm, Merlin's posting dog pictures now. He might have figured out the secret of how to get into the inner circle.

All jokes aside, :3: thats a good dogge

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Scruffyhawk posted:

what does pocket carrier mean

As your pocket carries things for you, so you carry your pocket with your pants.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

No.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

EvilMerlin posted:

I approve of this post!

Everything on this post is accurate.

My dogs all get Taste of the Wild (Buffalo and Venison) as it is grain free and full of good poo poo for them.

All our dogs get crate trained for around a full year to make sure they are not destructive to the house. So far, its worked out well. Tessa, our newest pupper still has some pee issues, but she is at least indicating now that she needs to go outside, I just need to be on my toes and when she goes to the door, I drat well better be there in a few seconds, else I am cleaning the hardwood floor yet again. The crate is also good because Tessa still has food envy issues and will bark and nip if any of the other animals come near her food. She is getting better, but then again, some fuckign douche nozzle tied her up with barbed wire as a puppy (she has scars on her belly and head from it) and abused her with food by starving her and having her pull the barbed wired deeper into her to get to the food. I'm glad I never found out who did it to her because I would kill said person in much the same way Tessa was abused... But now? Now she is the most loving thing on the planet. If a bit loud at times...

Some dogs are one dog only. Some love other dogs. Our three need to like (not just tolerate) other dogs, cats and horses. Chickens are entertainment for all three... and good eating too.

When it comes to picking out a dog... seriously, listen to your heart. The right dog finds YOU, you don't find the right dog...

Its working. He's becomming a goon. A little more prodding and he will be posting taxxe.

Keep it up guys!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

:argh:

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
I’m glad the dog chat brought the thread closer together. 😊

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Warhawk109 posted:

Yeah dogs are good but lets not forget that Evil is still a nazi worshiper.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

EvilMerlin posted:

Absolutely 100% agree.

All of our animals, including the horses are rescues (well not the chickens). We couldn't be happier.

Rescue some chickens once in a while you loving monster.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Warhawk109 posted:

You know who else liked dogs?

Yeah.

#notalldogowners #cattesupremacy

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 11, 2018

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
*sigh*

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Hav posted:

If shilling is to be done, then shill I will.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/681330/Helium_Rain/

Helium Rain is a single-player $15 space game based in a single system with one of those economy things that you can have a direct impact on by both loving up your opponents and building your own stations. Apparently it has newtonian physics, and a whole combat side to it, but I've been mostly playing it as a super-chill X3. Travel between the different planets takes a variable amount of time which you 'advance', leading to splurges of trading in one area, then loading up and moving to another area.

It's got a really 'clean' design and I'm enjoying it, but I don't have a lot of time to really knuckle down to anything that isn't Stellaris.

someone else should elucidate on this, I'm really interested and all this making GBS threads on SC makes me want to play a good space game

how close is Helium Rain to being a 3d escape velocity?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
If this thread derails into Nazi chat again I'm going to start dropping sixers. Dog chat good. Post more dogs. Star Citizen bad. Make fun of Star Citizen.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

ZenMaster posted:

OK GOONS

:siren: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LN0TsXLcfc :siren:

Citcon 2018, low lights reel, for those who missed it or don't want to watch for 2 hours.

Thank you!

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

And thank you!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ah geez. Oh no.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Goblin posted:

Ah geez. Oh no.

You flew too close to the sun.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beet Goblin posted:

Ah geez. Oh no.

Your move.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hav posted:

You flew too close to the sun.

my tweets of wax and weathers have let me down again

e: feathers, even

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Yay, new bugs for old!

Plus y'know doors and death and teleportation.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beet Goblin posted:

Ah geez. Oh no.

owned yet again on the internet

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

That character is just dancing in his new hover boots, everything is working as intended.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

tag urself, I'm the in game ad for the space ship that hasn't been seen in two years

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Beet Goblin posted:

tag urself, I'm the in game ad for the space ship that hasn't been seen in two years

I'm the terrible shadows/lighting that make the dude look like he's anonymous or something.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Beet Goblin posted:

Ah geez. Oh no.

Your move.

mic drop

Sample_text fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 11, 2018

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I'm the place holder

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
There's more already. Of course there is...

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Combat Theory posted:

I never mentioned ED.

EvilMerlin posted:

No, but I did. Its called a comparison.

The Classic Citizen Defence ©

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beet Goblin posted:

I'm the two shooty mans that look exactly the same for some reason

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

lmfao these guards are uncannily similar to the ones from oblivion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

his nibs posted:

The Classic Citizen Defence ©

Seriously, you'd think they'd pick a target that was currently in development and has been for the past few years, rather than a released game currently in it's third DLC, but they're so desperate for legitimacy that they attempt to glom onto an actual brand and make the false equivalencies.

This needs comparing to similar vaporware, like Interstellar Marine, or anything Lethality likes.