Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
they are 100% not going to make the human units crumble u ninnies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Not concerned about humans crumbling, I'm concerned the various human-ish units will be undead/mutant mortar crew or something dumb.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Mind you also, Aranessa has "Sartosan Free Company pirate units." which could imply there are counters for basically all the basic level zombies with her own human versions.

Also as someone pointed out, Arkhan can be moved to the Black Tower in both maps, which would give them two spots for Araby LLs ( presumably they'll only get a Faction Pack, what with them having so few LLs to choose from. ).

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Rookersh posted:

Mind you also, Aranessa has "Sartosan Free Company pirate units." which could imply there are counters for basically all the basic level zombies with her own human versions.

Also as someone pointed out, Arkhan can be moved to the Black Tower in both maps, which would give them two spots for Araby LLs ( presumably they'll only get a Faction Pack, what with them having so few LLs to choose from. ).

I really want to see Aranessa's full roster so we can put the questions to rest. We're definitely getting at least one living unit for her. But I'd love it if she had human crews for all the artillery units rather than undead ones, at least.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Personally, I'm kind of surprised they went with "Human with Vampire subordinates" for her, but it was really the only way to have her be alive yet also have access to the undead sea monsters when you think about it.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

yeah but they went full on weird mutant creature for her so shes not even properly human, and the chaos gods hate he undead so shes some kind of mutant spirit creature type thing. It's weird and good.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ZeusJupitar posted:

Looks like the ME map has been updated to include Land of The Dervishes and Heart of the Jungle. Not sure whether it's actually been extended south or if they're just replacing some of the desert.

There's some more changes.
-There's a new island off the coast of Headhunter's Jungle. Probable 4th LL starting position?
-Land of the Dead has been split in half into 2 provinces. The second province is called Great (Mortis?) Delta. No guesses as to why
-The Estalia/Skavenblight/Tilea area has been tweaked. Most notably it looks like Skavenblight has 2 regions now

Qubee
May 31, 2013

must have quality of life mods, go go go, what do you nerds recommend?

i miss being able to construct roads so my armies could run through my territories really quickly. cause i usually have one centralized military province that just consists of military buildings, and then all my other provinces are just money-makers. it sucks dick having to spend 10 turns sending armies back and then to the front line again just to get good units.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Crumbling is an unit-facing mechanic, not a faction one. There are rogue armies with mixed undead and human units, if you fight them the dead guys crumble and the living ones run away. There are also mods that add human units to Vampire Counts and Moussillon.

Hyped for Sartosa.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SickZip posted:

There's some more changes.
-There's a new island off the coast of Headhunter's Jungle. Probable 4th LL starting position?
-Land of the Dead has been split in half into 2 provinces. The second province is called Great (Mortis?) Delta. No guesses as to why
-The Estalia/Skavenblight/Tilea area has been tweaked. Most notably it looks like Skavenblight has 2 regions now

I don’t think any of that is new.

Great Mortis Delta is the province with the Black Pyramid

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Qubee posted:

i miss being able to construct roads so my armies could run through my territories really quickly. cause i usually have one centralized military province that just consists of military buildings, and then all my other provinces are just money-makers. it sucks dick having to spend 10 turns sending armies back and then to the front line again just to get good units.

Brighter Borders, Advanced AI, Better Camera, Faster End Turn Camera, and it’s not quite QoL but Provincial Roads sounds like something you’d like (building a road applies the bonus to the whole province and not just the settlement)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I find the mod that gives a bit extra movement in your own provinces is important.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
Probably not a coincidence: the generic vampire lord who leads the Silver Host is called Count Ewald. :tinfoil:

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Qubee posted:

There's a global recruitment mod to make the turn time the same as local recruitment. It makes global recruitment nicer.

Also a transport Lord who delivers good units to your front line armies can help - you can put all the recruitment blue line abilities on them and produce high level units cheaper.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
very much a fan of the idea of a pirate queen going "hmm. undead minions sounds like a sweet as hell thing, for pirating. find me some necromancers. i want to do threats at them so they give me zombies."

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Friendly vampires are a thing in Warhammer Fantasy so neutral-ish vampires rolling with a demigod pirate queen is totally workable.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

toasterwarrior posted:

Friendly vampires are a thing in Warhammer Fantasy so neutral-ish vampires rolling with a demigod pirate queen is totally workable.

As long as it will get them an opportunity to show off and be hammy as hell you can find a vampire willing to do anything short of Chaos.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Southpaugh posted:

yeah but they went full on weird mutant creature for her so shes not even properly human, and the chaos gods hate he undead so shes some kind of mutant spirit creature type thing. It's weird and good.

From the Fatal & Friends review of the Warhammer Fantasy RPG in Fatal & Friends, being a mutant doesn't automatically align you with Chaos, it's just that for 99% of humans born mutated turning to the Dark Powers is the only way to survive because "Mutant = Chaos" is conventional wisdom. The Bretonnia supplement even has an isolated community of mutants that has not succumbed to Chaos.

(The same supplement also hints that there may be a working Slaan Spawning Pool in Bretonnia)

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
What if instead of crumbling they call it “Shiver me Timbers”.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

I wish this game was clearer about which AI factions are using DLC lords. Just realised halfway through a game that I can't confederate a nearby faction that I have good relations with since they're using a DLC lord that I don't own. So now I either have to go to war with them or buy the dlc :waycool:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I was thinking: I don't personally think that raising corpses as undead is an inherently evil/bad thing. The bad thing about vampirism is that they need to drink blood. But in the process of doing so, they might raise some bones or whatever, maybe resurrect some folks as ghosts.. whatever.

But then vampires do some wacky-dumb poo poo, like stitching together living bodies for some reason, turning cannibals into giant shadow-beasts or whatever, poo poo like that.

It seems like you could be an ethical Vampire is what I'm saying it's just that Vampires seem to only infect/breed assholes.

It seems like Harkon, too, is just a fancy boi who got dosed with a couple jiggawatts of crazy.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

jokes posted:

I was thinking: I don't personally think that raising corpses as undead is an inherently evil/bad thing. The bad thing about vampirism is that they need to drink blood. But in the process of doing so, they might raise some bones or whatever, maybe resurrect some folks as ghosts.. whatever.

But then vampires do some wacky-dumb poo poo, like stitching together living bodies for some reason, turning cannibals into giant shadow-beasts or whatever, poo poo like that.

It seems like you could be an ethical Vampire is what I'm saying it's just that Vampires seem to only infect/breed assholes.

It seems like Harkon, too, is just a fancy boi who got dosed with a couple jiggawatts of crazy.

I mean, there's even a monster-vampire who's a benevolent, Balkan prince. Loved by his subjects, feared by his enemies!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mordja posted:

I mean, there's even a monster-vampire who's a benevolent, Balkan prince. Loved by his subjects, feared by his enemies!

Because he actually figured out that was the big key to Vlad's rise to power. Gashnag the Black Prince is a smart guy.

He even plays off his monstrous features as a dark curse and pays bards to tell everyone how handsome he used to be, which people believe because he's a good prince. And uses it as an excuse to wear lots of stylish masks and cloaks. And given he can rip an ogre in half and regularly does so to defend his holdings from being bullied by ogres, people are down with the dramatic cursed prince story.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm not sure about Warhammer theology, but if you believe that your relatives rest in heaven and that reanimating them as undead disturbs their eternal rest (which generic fantasy peasant are wont to do), then you might be a little bit upset at seeing your mother become a mindless undead.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I feel like there’s a reason the setting of Warhammer doesn’t have a lot of pacifists who don’t want to cause trouble

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Brighter Borders, Advanced AI, Better Camera, Faster End Turn Camera, and it’s not quite QoL but Provincial Roads sounds like something you’d like (building a road applies the bonus to the whole province and not just the settlement)

these all sound great but I've not even seen a building in the building browser that lets me build roads?

Theswarms posted:

There's a global recruitment mod to make the turn time the same as local recruitment. It makes global recruitment nicer.

Also a transport Lord who delivers good units to your front line armies can help - you can put all the recruitment blue line abilities on them and produce high level units cheaper.

I can't believe I didn't think of this. I used to do this way back in the Rome and Medieval TW days.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

If watching grandma's body rise out of the ditch you tossed it in and wander off into the woods was the worst thing to happen to you in pre-Vlad Sylvania you were having a pretty good day.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Yeah, in the lore there are some vampires who while they may not be good people, actually care about their mortal subjects and make efforts at good governance. Part of that might be due to self preservation and maintaining a happy food chain, but they at least recognize that and make efforts to make their lands pleasant.

Generally speaking you see that more from Lahmian bloodlines that are more in tune with mortal affairs. Strigoi tend to be the opposite end of the spectrum and revel in being heinous monsters. The other bloodlines like Blood Dragons and Von Carstein tend to fall somewhere in the middle depending on the individual.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Raising the dead is reviled by pretty much every society. Even chaos and dark elves at best seriously frown upon it. Mainly because all necromancy comes from Nagash, who is enemies with every form of life. Not that every single wizard who practices necromancy wants to also end all life, but it’s usually better to be on the safe side.

Of course hardass pirates don’t give a gently caress about a lot of things that societies do, and it seems like if you were a pirate and got turned into a vampire you might as well just keep pirating, just with some bloodsucking and magic thrown in

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

What overhaul mods are there? I don't particularly like Steel Faith but Choice & Consequence is fairly good. There's also Boyz will be Boyz which converts tabletop stats into total war stats and its a fun mess if you remember some OP units from the tabletop.

Am I missing any others?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Qubee posted:

these all sound great but I've not even seen a building in the building browser that lets me build roads?

I can't believe I didn't think of this. I used to do this way back in the Rome and Medieval TW days.

Some of the factions get it, some don't.

One thing that complicates having a dedicated recruitment lord is the global increase in upkeep for every active lord in the higher difficulties. On VH, which I tend to play, it is a prohibitive cost until you've broken the economy, and by then the distances from your recruitment provinces to the front usually make global recruitment faster, though getting instant veterans from the right blue skills is a pretty good thing.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Basically, the problem with most Vampires is that the kind of people the bloodlines consider "worthy" to be turned tend to be pretty ruthless and ambitious in life already. And then you dump a lot of power, the instinctual mindset of a solitary apex predator and affinity for black magic on top of that. Unsurprisingly, most of them turn out to be sociopathic monsters with little to no empathy towards others.

Torrannor posted:

I'm not sure about Warhammer theology, but if you believe that your relatives rest in heaven and that reanimating them as undead disturbs their eternal rest (which generic fantasy peasant are wont to do), then you might be a little bit upset at seeing your mother become a mindless undead.

Well yeah. There's a reason the Cult of Morr over in the Empire consider the undead to be inherently anathema.

Doesn't help that necromancy is an offshoot of black magic, with all the corruption problems that come with that. There's a reason why necromancers tend to be megalomaniacal sociopaths.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

I dont know posted:

Surprisingly, the peg-legs don't look nearly as stupid in motion as I thought they would. They jawbone looks terrible, though. I'm not sure how they should fix it, maybe make it bigger and cover her face up to the nose, or just drop it entirely. Her design still would have plenty going on even without it.

makes her look like she has a beard. which is appropriate for a pirate I guess. yaarrrr.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I wonder how she’ll actually play in battle. I assume lowish armor but fast and hard hitting with perfect vigor, high skill and a decent ward save, meant to blend infantry. So maybe kinda like a tankier Hellebron without magic?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m excited to see the mystery lord/sjw pandering unloreful trash tomorrow.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’m excited to see the mystery lord/sjw pandering unloreful trash tomorrow.

Saltspite freakin kisses a Promethean... ON THE LIPS!

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

I dont know posted:

Surprisingly, the peg-legs don't look nearly as stupid in motion as I thought they would. They jawbone looks terrible, though. I'm not sure how they should fix it, maybe make it bigger and cover her face up to the nose, or just drop it entirely. Her design still would have plenty going on even without it.

I thought it was a beard at first.

Now I imagine that new recruits go through the terrifying introduction to ht pirate queen where if they stare at the beard they get demoted from free company to zombie.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Anno posted:

This would be the page to follow: https://isthereanydeal.com/game/totalwarwarhammeriicurseofvampirecoast/compare/

Best I can tell right now the best deal is about 20% off, but I have no concept of if that’s a good deal in Ausbucks or not.

Dongattack posted:

I picked it up for 10 EURO, 12 USD or 16 aussiebux if you will at Voidu: https://www.voidu.com/en/total-war-...edium=affiliate

It's 25% off already at that store right now, BUT Voidu has a discount voucher for 20% off atm, "BLUEWINTER". So i entered that at check out for an additional 20% off. I think that is as cheap as it's gonna get before big steam sales when it's old or whatever. Hopefully that works in Australia too.

You get a key that activates on Steam, got it activated fine just sitting there waiting for it to release.

Thanks!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
no one will be able to convince me that i'm not seeing a badass bearded lady

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So it looks like we're going to have a pretty good swath of specialties for the lords so far. Luthor Harkon seems to be a Glade lord/lady style ranged skirmisher on a flying mount who's campaign buffs focus on elite infantry. Noctilus will be the heavy armored Vlad Von Carstein style melee beast and general poo poo-wrecker that'll eventually ride a necrofex and will buff the monsters in the roster. Saltspite looks to be a speedy glass cannon duelist that'll ride a giant crab and focuses on buffed out gunlines. I'm going to take a guess that if the datamining is right and we get the Silver Princess that she's probably going to be the Khatep/Morathi style uber caster with a focus on probably like the raise dead equivalent and buffing out the more core units in the coast's roster. It'd be kind of interesting if the Silver Princess winds up being kind of the opposite end of the coin from Saltspite in that she winds up with more of a core of traditional Vampire Counts units and playstyle, shot and cannons backed up with blood knights and vargheists sort of deal.

Not really knowing anything about the roster of the coast writ large, my guess is that in exchange for guns and monsters we're not going to see any cavalry in the coast's roster and I'd probably wager a guess that they're not going to have a lot of heavy armor infantry outside of things like the Depth Guard.