Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

well that doesn't sound too bad then

i'd still like to see the vanderbilt statue out front come down tho

Iirc the rent is at ~3 million dollars a year for the whole of the station property and like nearly 200 miles of railroad routes leading into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Chris Knight posted:

didn't schmidt at one point have to approve every google hire even when they had tens of thousands of people there?

nah that was Brin I think, I'm not sure for how long but probably too long because the entire motivation was that Brin is an egotistical rear end in a top hat I'm guessing between even having that process and ruining his marriage to gently caress an employee

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Amazing how they can spend $1 million each on bus stops but still not fix the metro even after all these years.

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
ol timmy boy is hiding something again and now the brain is going to find it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lancemantis posted:

nah that was Brin I think, I'm not sure for how long but probably too long because the entire motivation was that Brin is an egotistical rear end in a top hat I'm guessing between even having that process and ruining his marriage to gently caress an employee

that affair also probably killed google glass lol

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
mistakes,,,,,into miracles.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
google glass died because it was a terrible product no one wanted hth

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

In the end, the new stop cost $575,000 for construction and fabrication and $440,000 for construction management and inspections, officials said. Federal and state transportation money paid 80 percent of the costs.

Arlington is taking over construction, and Leach said he expects to “drastically reduce” the time it will take to complete it. Construction of the next bus shelter is expected to start this month.

“Our goal if at all possible is to do it for less,” Leach said. The county has budgeted $20.8 million for the remaining 23 stops, or about $904,000 for each one.

lmao

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
we just bid out a project that included complete rebuilds (relocations) of bus stops

let me see if i can break out what we estimated one those to cost

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

haveblue posted:

google glass died because it was a terrible product no one wanted hth

they also idiotically split the baby by not allowing any of the actually useful creepy software but still making the hardware creepy, what was the point if google won't let it use facial recognition to tell me people's names and let me pretend i care enough to remember

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
the file may have something to do with the excel image posted on fyad earlier, but the contents are completely blind to me

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

my local underground station has been in movies from 28 days later to the force awakens, and has won dozens of architectural awards, but it still looks like the box a proper station comes in to me:

my local train station has a nice breeze sometimes

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
that's pretty cool.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

which hurricane category was the breeze at your station yesterday?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
im the EXIF sign

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

im the EXIF sign

I'm Oking Mar

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

WV has the best roads. its also really poor. makes me wonder wth every other state is getting wrong

maybe cause coal and lumber need good roads

Robert Carlyle Byrd (born Cornelius Calvin Sale Jr.; November 20, 1917 – June 28, 2010) was a United States Senator from West Virginia for over 51 years, from 1959 until his death in 2010.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

we just bid out a project that included complete rebuilds (relocations) of bus stops

let me see if i can break out what we estimated one those to cost

ok let's see:

~$5k to rip out what's there
$6k to dispose of the soil that's there (aerially-deposited lead is a bitch)
~$38k for the various pavements, sidewalks, curb & gutter etc
$20k for the shelter structure
$3k if we assume that there are a couple of ADA ramps

so ~$72k for everything, installed
+15% for mobilization (to get the equipment and materials out there)
+10% for contingency & services (lane closures, towing, landscape protection, dust mitigation, etc)

so the whole thing is probably under $100k

ofc these numbers are part of a larger project - if it were its own thing the unit costs of everything would be higher, but certainly not 10 times higher

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

ok let's see:

~$5k to rip out what's there
$6k to dispose of the soil that's there (aerially-deposited lead is a bitch)
~$38k for the various pavements, sidewalks, curb & gutter etc
$20k for the shelter structure
$3k if we assume that there are a couple of ADA ramps

so ~$72k for everything, installed
+15% for mobilization (to get the equipment and materials out there)
+10% for contingency & services (lane closures, towing, landscape protection, dust mitigation, etc)

so the whole thing is probably under $100k

ofc these numbers are part of a larger project - if it were its own thing the unit costs of everything would be higher, but certainly not 10 times higher

the article is from 2013

no one built the remaining 23

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
he has himself programmed to set himself on fire, but is missing the required somethings to make it happen

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Roosevelt posted:

im too agreeable to ever be a stymie

personally, I think I'm more agreeable than stymie

that probably just makes me even more insufferable

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
re: glass, it looks like they have found a lot of legit business uses:

https://x.company/glass/partners/

a lot of these applications are roughly just "the person who is wearing the glasses doesn't have the skills or judgment needed, but a centralized expert or software can guide them through what they need to do"

remotely-driven humans are a way more practical concept of operations than self-driven cars

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

in actual tech hell goings on

https://twitter.com/josiahhughes/status/1050477104402321408
https://twitter.com/jackdwagner/status/1050478365960884224

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

jeffery posted:

oh my god they put your last name on a public sign? also i'm too scared to explore cheney corp at this minute because i am thinking it is missing large amounts of information and, as such, tim's algorithm's will take away mine and other's rewards

jeffery posted:

yeah of course all of the cheney worship crap is gettin tossed in the grinder

jeffery posted:

he has himself programmed to set himself on fire, but is missing the required somethings to make it happen

cool we have another schizophrenic person in here

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

maybe it's like toribot

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
tori didn't post that much in gbs

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

cool we have another schizophrenic person in here

is there such a thing as a web forum mental health protocol

e: "if they're posting in a web forum, they've probably got mental health issues"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
sooooo....trains

good or bad

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

prisoner of waffles posted:

a lot of these applications are roughly just "the person who is wearing the glasses doesn't have the skills or judgment needed, but a centralized expert or software can guide them through what they need to do"

remotely-driven humans are a way more practical concept of operations than self-driven cars

Yeah, it's a great product as a business product (warehouses are the first thing to spring to mind), but not a good consumer product.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

exploded mummy posted:

sooooo....trains

good or bad

Good op

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

prisoner of waffles posted:

and like half those companies seem to have moved on or never really sold a product that existed yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSMgdrRETKA

now thats a hell job

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

exploded mummy posted:

sooooo....trains

good or bad

i'm horny for them op

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

exploded mummy posted:

sooooo....trains

good or bad

trains are good. the people that tend to run them not so much

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
they don't even let them use their phones anymore while they're driving the trains

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

and like half those companies seem to have moved on or never really sold a product that existed yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSMgdrRETKA

now thats a hell job

:gonk:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

hr punks gently caress off

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Munkeymon posted:

which hurricane category was the breeze at your station yesterday?

zero, it was the hot & humid kind of cloudy in miami

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hQM3_SvwWo