Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Megazver posted:

Finally, give Damon Runyon a try. He was a guy who basically hung out in New York's speakeasies and rubbed elbows with all the types who'd hang out in such places, including being friends with some actual big-time gangsters, and wrote hilarious and, for the most part, oddly uplifting short stories about it. He was huge during his life and not so much these days, but he's amazing and deserves way more spotlight than he currently has.

He also turns up as a character in one of Diane Duane's Cat Wizards books and is pretty cool with the cats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Do you think one of the extraneous characters they'll jettison will be Perrin?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

pseudorandom name posted:

Why would they throw out the hot sexy werewolf?

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

pseudorandom name posted:

i can see them doing a ton of like...mergings and consolidations of main characters, rather than cutting outright

could go "gently caress it, Rand only needs one childhood buddy and we don't have time to implement that whole narrative where most of the main characters turn out to be Chosen Ones of various kinds", then making a weird amalgam of mat and perrin

similarly I could see nynaeve and egwene being consolidated if they want to spend less time on the minutae of the magic system (since those characters' normal job is to be a window into this)

probably trim rand's proto harem-anime assemblage of love interests down to just two, likely elayne and the aiel whose name I can't remember how to spell even though I can remember how to spell nynaeve

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 6, 2018

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also someday I'm gonna actually read a Stainless Steel Rat book. I have like six of them, and they've been lying around for years, but whenever I pick 'em up something just spooks me off so I read other things.

The Stainless Steel Rat books are definitely products of their time.
Example: The first book in the series was written when transistors were replacing vacuum tubes. I will be the first person to admit that Harry Harrison recycled story-lines in them but the Stainless Steel Rat books still manage to hold up as light anti-authoritarian heist/escapist fiction.

The first Stainless Steel Rat book has looting/fencing stolen goods, why thermite is your friend, long term planning 101, suborning an entire planetary bureaucracy into building a huge space freighter slash secret imperial star destroyer by onsite construction blueprints changes + modifying purchasing orders at the suborned planet's spacedock, stealing the secret imperial star destroyer just before the galactic police arrive, going on a months long Captain Harlock style space pirate rampage.....and that's just first half of the book.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

If you haven't read Murderbot yet, what the hell is wrong with you?
Refusing to buy into the book pricing extortion scheme.
I read the first one when it was free, it was pretty fun but nothing mindblowing. Definitely not willing to pay the asking price .

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

This won't be news to anyone in here presumably but dang City of Brass is real good, I'm breezing through it. Love the worldbuilding.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ToxicFrog posted:

If you haven't read Murderbot yet, what the hell is wrong with you?

Waiting for it to become an affordable omnibus! All the money I could've spent on Murderbot has instead been channeled into weird old books from the 70s!

Don't worry, though - I have a friend who's been buying every single Murderbot as it releases and she's been excited at me about the series a lot, so I'm eager to read it, just not in this "let's sell novellas at novel prices" format.

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

The Stainless Steel Rat books are definitely products of their time.
Example: The first book in the series was written when transistors were replacing vacuum tubes. I will be the first person to admit that Harry Harrison recycled story-lines in them but the Stainless Steel Rat books still manage to hold up as light anti-authoritarian heist/escapist fiction.

The first Stainless Steel Rat book has looting/fencing stolen goods, why thermite is your friend, long term planning 101, suborning an entire planetary bureaucracy into building a huge space freighter slash secret imperial star destroyer by onsite construction blueprints changes + modifying purchasing orders at the suborned planet's spacedock, stealing the secret imperial star destroyer just before the galactic police arrive, going on a months long Captain Harlock style space pirate rampage.....and that's just first half of the book.

Hot dang, that sounds cool. I like old sci-fi - it's only when it gets sexist/racist/etc that I want to avoid it, and nope, that sounds like a fun romp instead. Thanks!

Jedit posted:

Don't read anything published after 1990. Any of the others would be fine. Rat For President is my favourite, but needs a bit of backstory. Rat is Born is OK if you want to do everything chronologically. But start with the original if you have it.

I have the original in an omnibus - "Adventures of the Stainless Steel Rat" along with assorted sequels. A younger, teenage me was at ground zero for my local library getting several dozen boxes of books, and then getting first pick on almost anything I wanted out of there. There was a lot of sci-fi, and unfortunately a lot of bad baen books as well. I mean, bless baen for printing a lot of lost/old sci-fi - I've got a great omnibus of Cordwainer Smith thanks to them - but also, je-sus why do your editors have no taste, did they really need to publish x, y, and z....

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The real problem with the Murderbot omnibus is all the people who bought the novellas will be forced to buy it in hardcopy.

Thanks Murderbot.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

Refusing to buy into the book pricing extortion scheme.
I read the first one when it was free, it was pretty fun but nothing mindblowing. Definitely not willing to pay the asking price .

Ok, that's fair.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

PupsOfWar posted:

i can see them doing a ton of like...mergings and consolidations of main characters, rather than cutting outright

could go "gently caress it, Rand only needs one childhood buddy and we don't have time to implement that whole narrative where most of the main characters turn out to be Chosen Ones of various kinds", then making a weird amalgam of mat and perrin

similarly I could see nynaeve and egwene being consolidated if they want to spend less time on the minutae of the magic system (since those characters' normal job is to be a window into this)

probably trim rand's proto harem-anime assemblage of love interests down to just two, likely elayne and the aiel whose name I can't remember how to spell even though I can remember how to spell nynaeve

The best-friends-forever ritual which involves them punching each other senseless made all 3.2 million words of that book worthwhile.

"And remember, now you have struck your sister, and for no better reason than because someone told you to"
:allears:

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Man, exit strategy was NOT worth that cost. It's more like a coda to the last novella than a even a standalone episode. Like, actually super disappointing? I expected better than this moneygrubbing.

However, I did kind of borrow a bunch of her older books and binge them so I'm going to view this as paying for all 5 of the Raksura ones.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The Raksura books were fun. Pricey, though- the cost of the Murderbot novellas make a lot more sense when you see what they’re asking for Wells’ full-length works.

They kinda made me want to reread the Pern books, even though I know that would be a mistake. And I’d have to rebuy them all, which would cost a loving fortune even at ebook rates. Think I’ll reread Pat Hodgell’s stuff instead.

WoT: I’ve a soft spot for it since it was one of the pillars growing up, and I think you could carve a decent tv show out of it, but I have exactly zero faith in any of the forces behind this adaptation producing that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

The Raksura books were fun. Pricey, though- the cost of the Murderbot novellas make a lot more sense when you see what they’re asking for Wells’ full-length works.

Grab the Ile Rien books. They’re much cheaper right now. The first two are only $2.99, I believe (The Element of Fire and Death of the Necromancer)

I’m doing a re-read of The Element of Fire and I’d forgotten how good it is. While she did re-work part of it so it fit in with her later books in that world (she had originally only planned it as a stand-alone), it’s pretty drat impressive for a 1st novel.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

They kinda made me want to reread the Pern books, even though I know that would be a mistake. And I’d have to rebuy them all, which would cost a loving fortune even at ebook rates. Think I’ll reread Pat Hodgell’s stuff instead.

Just get them from the library. Pern was popular enough back in the day they've probably got all the books.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

C.M. Kruger posted:

Just get them from the library. Pern was popular enough back in the day they've probably got all the books.

Or buy used. Abebooks shows that you can get the main trilogy for less than four bucks each.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

General Battuta posted:

If you like gothic SF and Halloween you gotta watch Event Horizon :v:

Book wise, obviously there's Blindsight, but Ship of Fools/Unto Leviathan (I bought it as Ship of Fools) is even more explicitly a haunted house story in space. Bunch of Catholics on a generation ship locate a planet sporting ruins, jungle, and a room full of several thousand skeletons dangling from meat hooks. They follow a mysterious transmission to a titanic drifting object in space nearby, which they explore while discussing the nature and origins of evil.

I read this over the last couple of days and it was pretty cool and creepy.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

MockingQuantum posted:

I am in dire need of upbeat escapist fiction at the moment. I read The Goblin Emperor (which was good) and have The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet but a friend is reading it at the moment. Any other suggestions?

Fake edit: oh and recently read Howl's Moving Castle

I never pass up an opportunity to recommend my pal Jenna's books, so I'm going to plug An Unclean Legacy, about a deathless sorcerer preparing for his upcoming death, and his children's reactions to their presumed inheritance.

I always wonder how long it will take people with no prior experience to spot what's going on here before the book makes it obvious, now that the really blatant references have been scrubbed.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Rand Brittain posted:

I never pass up an opportunity to recommend my pal Jenna's books, so I'm going to plug An Unclean Legacy, about a deathless sorcerer preparing for his upcoming death, and his children's reactions to their presumed inheritance.

I always wonder how long it will take people with no prior experience to spot what's going on here before the book makes it obvious, now that the really blatant references have been scrubbed.

Eh, this from the summary feels fairly blatant: "Montechristien Groeneveldt"

Still, colour me intrigued.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Finished Ken Macleod's Corporation Wars: Dissidence, and the first 2 books in Peter McLean's Burned Man series over the weekend.

Curating Iain Banks literary estate and the various insane events that have been going down in the UK since Scottish Referendum 2.0 restored Ken MacLeod's sanity enough that the Corporation Wars series is pretty much MacLeod's Star Fractions series 2.0 only with more robots + more nanomachines +more human minds uploaded into VR + everything that happens is based around a remote star system 20 light years from earth.

The burned man books are pretty much inverse harry dresden or fetal alcohol syndrome john constantine. Chia ets have more of a clue of whats going in magicland than the main character, and every action the main character takes seems to make things worse. Calling it inverse harry dresden because it shares similar elements to the harry dresden books, but takes things in a more bleak british Get Carter aka Jack�s Return Home way.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
How are the metro 2033 books?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

How are the metro 2033 books?
The first one is pretty decent. I'd skip the rest.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

anilEhilated posted:

The first one is pretty decent. I'd skip the rest.

All two thousand and thirty two!?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
All of them. No mercy. 1 AD is the only year worth reading about.

For what it's worth, 2033 is the first one and it's pretty good; 2034 is poo poo and 2035 is middling-quality if you really need to have more Metro in your life.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Man, I remembered Pern being misogynistic but I seriously was not prepared for just how bad it is. And if you get through that the classism is grotesque. If you’re not high-born, dragon-chosen or at least a journeyman crafter you’re barely human here. There’s probably a thesis or two out there on the politics of Pern.

The Menolly books are still good, though :unsmith:

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Never got into Pern, Pern always seemed creepy as hell similar to the vibes Wild Cards books gave off. On the other hand, I enjoyed the Thieves World series growing up, and in retrospect, Thieves World had so many competing mary sue characters in it.

Finished the Ken MacLeod Corporation War series. If you did not enjoy Ken MacLeod's Star Fraction series, you probably won't enjoy his Corporation Wars series.
MacLeod's fetish for sloganizing 17th - 19th century philosophers who take 300 pages to get to the point into 1 sentence memes cropped up again, so did his fetish for Reaction vs Action class warfare for the uh 9th time(?), but the Iain Banks inspired machine intelligences in Corporation Wars were decent/amusing enough.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Never got into Pern, Pern always seemed creepy as hell similar to the vibes Wild Cards books gave off. On the other hand, I enjoyed the Thieves World series growing up, and in retrospect, Thieves World had so many competing mary sue characters in it.

I mean, that’s mostly an artifact of how it was created - everyone involved tossed in a character or three and there were rules about what you could do to someone else’s character without running it by them. Between the “my character” aspect and the need to make other people’s characters invincible to some extent in your own stories, it kind of promoted that treatment of characters.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

I am in dire need of upbeat escapist fiction at the moment. I read The Goblin Emperor (which was good) and have The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet but a friend is reading it at the moment. Any other suggestions?

Fake edit: oh and recently read Howl's Moving Castle

this is something I forgot to mention several pages back when someone was asking about "cozy" sci-fi, but how about jack mcdevitt's Alex Benedict novels?

They're not really aspirational or exploratory in the sense that we usually mean by "escapist", but, since they are literally detective novels in space, they achieve the sort of comfy domesticity that most long-running detective series these days aim for, merged with occasionally-good high concepts.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Kalman posted:

I mean, that’s mostly an artifact of how it was created - everyone involved tossed in a character or three and there were rules about what you could do to someone else’s character without running it by them. Between the “my character” aspect and the need to make other people’s characters invincible to some extent in your own stories, it kind of promoted that treatment of characters.

I think the rules were "the character can't die without author ok" + "gently caress you write yourself out of this" in the setting of fantasyland notCasablanca.
There was the expected immortal warrior, and thief characters. Plus there was a slavemaster/gladiator school guy, a exceptionally thirsty alchemist, a lesbian archmage in drag, a idiot ruling prince and his chancellor, a gypsy fortune teller, forgotten gods, whores, etc....and a invasion from a Aztec/Roman empire with a snake fetish happened around book 5?.

By book 3 someone's mary sue character got drugged, hamstrung, castrated, tongue ripped out then tossed into the house of a vivisectionist to rot forever(he got better). Another mary sue was obsessed with banging the wife of a side character, almost the entire group of another writers characters got slaughtered minus their dog( who got posessed by their souls), another mary sue character had a failed spinoff book series attempt, etc.
Thieves World series ended with the premise of importing one to four existing characters as ambassadors + staff into the capital city of the empire that had conquered the shithole notCasablanca desert city everything happened in.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I think the rules were "the character can't die without author ok" + "gently caress you write yourself out of this" in the setting of fantasyland notCasablanca.
There was the expected immortal warrior, and thief characters. Plus there was a slavemaster/gladiator school guy, a exceptionally thirsty alchemist, a lesbian archmage in drag, a idiot ruling prince and his chancellor, a gypsy fortune teller, forgotten gods, whores, etc....and a invasion from a Aztec/Roman empire with a snake fetish happened around book 5?.

By book 3 someone's mary sue character got drugged, hamstrung, castrated, tongue ripped out then tossed into the house of a vivisectionist to rot forever(he got better). Another mary sue was obsessed with banging the wife of a side character, almost the entire group of another writers characters got slaughtered minus their dog( who got posessed by their souls), another mary sue character had a failed spinoff book series attempt, etc.
Thieves World series ended with the premise of importing one to four existing characters as ambassadors + staff into the capital city of the empire that had conquered the shithole notCasablanca desert city everything happened in.

The only thing I really remember from those is some thief/assassin called Shadowcat(?) or some such bullshit. At least 4 times per story, it was called out how he always walked on the balls of his feet.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Proteus Jones posted:

The only thing I really remember from those is some thief/assassin called Shadowcat(?) or some such bullshit. At least 4 times per story, it was called out how he always walked on the balls of his feet.

That was the mary sue character with the failed spinoff book series. Absolutely no one except the author + the publisher angling for a tax writeoff gave a gently caress about that character.

Best thing about Thieves World is how the authors would meet up at a California Denny's every 9 or so months to argue about events in the previous books/vaguely plan out events for future books. Every recollection of Thieves World series has the authors involved in it lol'ing about how freaked out the other people in those Denny's restaurants would get eating their Grand Slams while murder/castrations/theft got loudly debated out a few tables away.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 11, 2018

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

But that's part of the Denny's experience!

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice
Like many of others around here, I've been itching for some "cozy" reading. Over the last few years I've read a lot of scifi and dystopian stuff and I just feel the need for a good brain bleaching. I really want to sink into some quality high fantasy.

I decided to pick up The Broken Sword by Poul Anderson. I'm only 30% or so in but it is really excellent so far and is scratching that itch. It feels like a mixture of Arthurian legend and Tolkien spiced up with a little weirdness. In a lot of ways is the polar opposite of modern fantasy doorstops, which is refreshing. Much of the book feels like I'm hitting fast forward. Plot is compressed into montages only for things to slow down for a scene or two, then speed right back up. Someone needs to go back and edit the Wheel of Time books in this fashion.

Any suggestions on where to go with Anderson after this book? One of the reasons I went with this one is that it is standalone but now I'm probably going to be left wanting more.

I may also move Vance's Lyonesse books up on my list, because I have a feeling they are somewhat similar.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

That was the mary sue character with the failed spinoff book series. Absolutely no one except the author + the publisher angling for a tax writeoff gave a gently caress about that character.
Written by this dude:
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/08/magazine/my-dad-the-pornographer.html

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Ban Folklore posted:

Any suggestions on where to go with Anderson after this book? One of the reasons I went with this one is that it is standalone but now I'm probably going to be left wanting more.

The High Crusade

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ban Folklore posted:

I may also move Vance's Lyonesse books up on my list, because I have a feeling they are somewhat similar.

That sounds pretty similar, yeah. Lyonesse gets quite dark at times but it's generally a very nice take on Arthurian/high fantasy ideas with the Jack Vance spin you want.

That said it's a lot more than just 'Arthurian,' the influence is clearly there but it goes in its own directions. It's very good, probably Vance's best work.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I actually liked the Shadowspawn stories in Thieves' World, much more than Janet Morris's Tempus, who also got his own spinoff series despite being drearily humorless.

Of course, the real problem with the shared-world anthologies that were all the rage in the 80s after Thieves' World hit it big is that the first few books in the series would feature stories by big-name writers who wanted to play around with something different. (For instance, the first couple TW books included stories by John Brunner, Philip Jose Farmer, A. E. Van Vogt, Poul Anderson, and Marion Zimmer Bradley.) And then in later books, the big-name writers would go back to their own work, leaving the C-listers like Offutt and Morris to carry things on.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

my bony fealty posted:

That sounds pretty similar, yeah. Lyonesse gets quite dark at times but it's generally a very nice take on Arthurian/high fantasy ideas with the Jack Vance spin you want.

That said it's a lot more than just 'Arthurian,' the influence is clearly there but it goes in its own directions. It's very good, probably Vance's best work.

His best novels. His best work is "The Moon Moth" novella, by far.

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice

andrew smash posted:

The High Crusade

Cool, I will check that out next. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
How similar is Dodge Tank to Ready Player One? I'm trying to decide between that and The Blade Itself. Wasn't a big fan of RPO.