Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Some real good jokes in there, I thought.

”I’m gonna stick up for my friend.”
”Yeah, let’s see how that works for you in 2018.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hi Jinx
Feb 12, 2016
Why are both Apple and Amazon late with making the Kavanaugh episode available? Season pass my butt.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Repeating the same joke over and over in an episode has always been a staple/flaw of South Park and this was one of the worst examples, with Mr. Hankey repeatedly going off and then using the ambien defense. How many times did it repeat? I lost count. It doesn't help that it wasn't funny to begin with. Are we supposed to laugh at him saying these things as some sort of callback to the early days of South Park? Are we supposed to find it offensive too? The real life parallel isn't funny at all and they did nothing creative to satirize it. They also weirdly combined the controversies of Apu and Roseanne even though they are separate issues. I think they should have picked one or the other - either South Park no longer finds a talking turd character acceptable, or the talking turd character is tainted by things it said in real life. But just having him tweet and say offensive things exactly like Roseanne without any creative edge to it is ultra lazy, let alone doing it so many times.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hanky was a ton of fun in the early days and I'm almost certain helped them more than like once.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Hi Jinx posted:

Why are both Apple and Amazon late with making the Kavanaugh episode available? Season pass my butt.
They're usually available on Friday, IIRC.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So bad. So very very very bad.

They need new writers in the writers room. Or something.

They hosed up a Mr Hanky episode.

Rock Bottom.

This is Rock Bottom for South Park.

At least it can't get worse.

Hopefully. But sometimes The Rock would Rock Bottom people multiple times. So yeah. And there's my impression of a 2018 South Park joke. It was the ambien. Ambien is code for watching a 2018 South park, btw.

Zing.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I was around ninth grade when Mr. Hankey first debuted and I didn't find him funny even then. Oh boy, a talking poo who talks like a children's cartoon. Hilarious and not forced at all.

I mention that only because I feel like they've basically hosed up every single Mr. Hankey episode since the beginning. When I describe him as juvenile humor, I'm not talking about low-brow comedy, I'm talking about humor that should literally be funny only to 5-year-old children.

Hot take.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's a hot take because it came out of your rear end

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I kinda miss the episodes where they just have the kids being kids to each other.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I got some good chuckles out of the townspeople heckling Mr. Hankey but that's about it. What's even the point of this show anymore?

Kids being kids are the best episodes. Stuff like Marjorine or The Losing Edge are still hilarious.

I know this post is probably coming across as "Why the gently caress are you complaining, just stop watching" but IDK, I used to love South Park so much. Everything now just sounds like poo poo.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

sure okay posted:

I kinda miss the episodes where they just have the kids being kids to each other.

This is literally all anyone wants out of the show but they just can't give up their sweet gig of having their blog posts animated into a half hour famous cartoon 10 times a year.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

sure okay posted:

Yep. They've lost sight of the show.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I think the "current events" angle gives fresh material, whereas "kids being kids" material is pretty limited, especially as you get further into your 40's and 50's and run out of memorable kid material to animate. The problem is that the former needs some actual time and effort to make polished episodes, not their "6 days to air" procrastination bullshit. I've always thought that the multi-part episodes (e.g. Go God Go, Imaginationland, etc.) are the best, and those clearly require some forethought and planning.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It doesn't have to be restricted to "kids being kids", just tell a good funny story. Recent example: Cock Magic

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Repeating the same joke over and over in an episode has always been a staple/flaw of South Park and this was one of the worst examples, with Mr. Hankey repeatedly going off and then using the ambien defense. How many times did it repeat? I lost count. It doesn't help that it wasn't funny to begin with. Are we supposed to laugh at him saying these things as some sort of callback to the early days of South Park? Are we supposed to find it offensive too? The real life parallel isn't funny at all and they did nothing creative to satirize it. They also weirdly combined the controversies of Apu and Roseanne even though they are separate issues. I think they should have picked one or the other - either South Park no longer finds a talking turd character acceptable, or the talking turd character is tainted by things it said in real life. But just having him tweet and say offensive things exactly like Roseanne without any creative edge to it is ultra lazy, let alone doing it so many times.

Sometimes PC babies don't even know why they're upset.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Flatscan posted:

Sometimes PC babies don't even know why they're upset.

Oh ha ha I get it like in the episode

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
yeah i considered posting the same for the lols but your response really wasn't that at all so I skipped it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Hot take: The show's been topical since the 90s, and early seasons haven't aged well, so if you're not used to it by now you're wearing some pretty thick rose-colored glasses.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The early seasons are far better than what we're getting.

The movie is even better

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Early South Park ages well because it shows you can be politically incorrect without being nazis.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Early South Park really is both awesome and terrible at the same time for different reasons. The show will never hit the levels of Season 6-8, where they were just nailing it.

South Park is perhaps one of the shows that goes through more changes than just about any show in existence while still maintaining the basic premise of it.

This season is okay and every episode has had plenty of good jokes, but they do seem to be really struggling with having any real plot to them. Like the past episode the Mr. Hankey plot was pretty weak, and the PC Babies plot didn't exist other than to make jokes about PC people.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Yes that is what they are for.

DairyBastard
Oct 16, 2011
I'm actually really enjoying this season so far. A lot better than the previous one and definitely season 20 for sure! At this point if we can just get another consistently funny season like 17, 18, or 19, that would be divine. Loved all those, especially 18!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I dunno, "Christian Rock Is Hard" was on last night and I was amazed at how well a 15 year old episode with a Napster b-plot had aged

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Cartman's better at singing than he has any right to be

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

precision posted:

I dunno, "Christian Rock Is Hard" was on last night and I was amazed at how well a 15 year old episode with a Napster b-plot had aged

The 6 thru 8 seasons of South Park is not only peak South Park, but top tier TV. Like every episode from season 7 is solid.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
That's definitely one of my favorite episodes of all time; it's the perfect use of Cartman.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"Token, we've been over this."
"Just because I'm black doesn't mean I know how to play bass! ... God drat it..."

It's definitely peak Cartman.

Power_of_the_glory
Feb 14, 2012
This season might actually be worse than the last one.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Power_of_the_glory posted:

It might actually be worse than Season 20.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Power_of_the_glory posted:

Last season was actually pretty decent. Quite a few drat good episodes in season 21.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I liked the hummel episode well enough

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Milo and POTUS posted:

There's a lot going on with that one.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yep, you have that one, then the special ed science fair, the Halloween episode and the Columbus day episode... All pretty solid but overshadowed so much by the season 20 trainwreck people forget 21 exists.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This season is pretty good so far, I like the reduced serialization and I think it's going to work out better for them. This episode was a bit weaker than the first two but still pretty fun. Turns out Mr Hanky is a piece of poo poo, the brief Kavanaugh moment, and Kyle getting smeared literally in poo poo were pretty amazing. I liked where they were going with PC Principal (was that Vice Principals music there at the beginning?) and Strong Woman though it felt a bit similar to the prosecutor situation in Trial and Error S2.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

If the only major serialization going forward is the school constantly being shot up that alone will make this a good season, imo.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I feel like I missed something with the ending of that episode. I guess I haven't really kept up with the drama, but i understand the Simpsons was under fire for Apu being a racist caricature. So they sent Mr. Hankey to the Simpsons as a 'place where people don't care about being controversial'?

I don't get the message or reference. Is it just a joke directed at the PC audience? The way it plays makes it look like an attempt at coming from some moral high ground, saying the Simpsons is unable to move on from it's history as a racist cariacature. But that's such a strange pot/kettle calling position for South Park to take I can't help but think I missed something obvious.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

I don't think they genuinely buy into the racist Apu idea, they just saw an opportunity for a sick burn on a show that, for other reasons, is limping along way past the time where it should have been put down.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
they just loved the pun "the problem with a poo" and had to find some way to use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

I really thought Mr. Hankey would go off to work at the White House in the end there.

And if you didn't find the Cumboni funny you're a fundamentally broken person.

This season is good so far.