Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Really Pants posted:

TitS was 1 game that turned into 3 so the odds are probably not great

Pretty sure that's just FC/SC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
If there is anything they should be embarrassed about it would be their need to add more and more characters to clutter up the story.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Cs4 took the criticism of only being able to romance three and made most of them datable

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Tae posted:

Cs4 took the criticism of only being able to romance three and made most of them datable

In fairness, there was always going to be blowback after most of the female characters had pretty romantic ending events in CS2 if you went with them (the ones who didn't were, what? Alfin and Millium?), and then CS3 proceeded to give most of them nothing. So CS4 at least adding back events for them wasn't exactly too unexpected. A bunch of new characters getting the datable events too in CS4 did get a bit silly though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Really Pants posted:

TitS was 1 game that turned into 3 so the odds are probably not great

2 games. FC and SC.

The 3rd was only made because Kondo wanted to make more foreshadowing about future arcs. Glad he did too because 3rd is my favorite.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
CS4 should allow Rean to date himself

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Rean X Ordine.

Valimar gets a huge tarp and bites it in anger.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Lord Koth posted:

In fairness, there was always going to be blowback after most of the female characters had pretty romantic ending events in CS2 if you went with them (the ones who didn't were, what? Alfin and Millium?), and then CS3 proceeded to give most of them nothing. So CS4 at least adding back events for them wasn't exactly too unexpected. A bunch of new characters getting the datable events too in CS4 did get a bit silly though.

Of the final bonding events in CS2, Alisa, Emma and Laura are the only explicitly romantic ones, but you're still right.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You have a different definition of explicitly romantic than I do.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

Of the final bonding events in CS2, Alisa, Emma and Laura are the only explicitly romantic ones, but you're still right.

Tbh, Laura (and I think Emma) could even be interpreted as platonic from Rean's POV (he just hugs Laura, for example). Alisa I think is the only one Rean is directly romantic towards.

My opinion is that older CS3/4 Rean actually matches best with Claire for reasons I can't really articulate; just seems to fit best.

Edit: Laura in particular gave me a strong "this poor girls knows she stands no chance and has convinced herself she is okay with being Rean's platonic sword friend."

Kinda reminds me of Meiya from Muc-Luv Alternative.

vv I'm talking about CS3

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 11, 2018

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Ytlaya posted:

Tbh, Laura (and I think Emma) could even be interpreted as platonic from Rean's POV (he just hugs Laura, for example). Alisa I think is the only one Rean is directly romantic towards.

My opinion is that older CS3/4 Rean actually matches best with Claire for reasons I can't really articulate; just seems to fit best.

Nah he straight up says he loves Laura and then a couple scenes in the epilogue straight up show them as a couple if you choose her.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Amppelix posted:

You have a different definition of explicitly romantic than I do.

I must, because I'm having trouble figuring out how a guy saying "I love you" to one girl and not another is not explicitly romantic.

Ytlaya posted:

vv I'm talking about CS3

For one, most of us haven't played CS3 and for another, I was specifically responding to someone saying "most of the final CS2 girl events are romantic," which is decidedly not the case.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

CS4 should allow Rean to date himself

Falcom give us special editions where we can play as a girl

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

I must, because I'm having trouble figuring out how a guy saying "I love you" to one girl and not another is not explicitly romantic.

I could be wrong, but I suspect Amppelix saying that "you have a different idea of explicitly romantic than I do," is in reference to you thinking that those are the ONLY ones that are explicitly romantic. Like, you don't have to flat out say "I love you" or kiss someone for it to be pretty blatantly romantic. I mean, I don't even particularly care for the option of Sara (nearly 10 years older and his teacher makes me really look sideways), but their final bonding event and nighttime epilogue is explicitly " I'll grow and become the right man for you" "I'll be waiting" - seriously, how you do read that and go "nope, not implied romance at all"?

Here's a video with all the CS2 classroom and nighttime epilogues stacked on top of each other, for reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baPxtZ-koQQ

You can pull the actual final bonding events too, of course, and they generally track the same. Of the exceptions, Millium isn't particularly romantic in any way, and Alfin's blatantly crushing on him but Rean doesn't notice.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I thought it was a sex joke

You know explicit.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Some Numbers posted:

Sara kisses Rean, and tells him to come back when its not morally questionable.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Lord Koth posted:

I could be wrong, but I suspect Amppelix saying that "you have a different idea of explicitly romantic than I do," is in reference to you thinking that those are the ONLY ones that are explicitly romantic. Like, you don't have to flat out say "I love you" or kiss someone for it to be pretty blatantly romantic. I mean, I don't even particularly care for the option of Sara (nearly 10 years older and his teacher makes me really look sideways), but their final bonding event and nighttime epilogue is explicitly " I'll grow and become the right man for you" "I'll be waiting" - seriously, how you do read that and go "nope, not implied romance at all"?

I'll admit, I don't have all...8? girls final Bonding Events memorized, so I guess I'll contextualize this by saying that none of the other girls' scenes struck me as being as overtly MUTUALLY romantic as Emma's, Laura's and Alisa's.

Except Sara's, but even that one is muddied by the fact that Sara's always been like that and Rean has been humoring her for over a year.

But sure, if you guys want to interpret that as me saying "hurf durf clearly they're all totally platonic" I guess you can?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Really Pants posted:

What the heck

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Problem?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

I'll admit, I don't have all...8? girls final Bonding Events memorized, so I guess I'll contextualize this by saying that none of the other girls' scenes struck me as being as overtly MUTUALLY romantic as Emma's, Laura's and Alisa's.

Except Sara's, but even that one is muddied by the fact that Sara's always been like that and Rean has been humoring her for over a year.

But sure, if you guys want to interpret that as me saying "hurf durf clearly they're all totally platonic" I guess you can?
Nah that's what I meant, that I thought more, and in fact most, of them were very romantic.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Lord Koth posted:

and Alfin's blatantly crushing on him but Rean doesn't notice.

Given that Alfin was all but proposing a threeway with her, him and Elise, perhaps Rean's obliviousness was for the best here. :cheeky:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Really Pants posted:

Does this mean Sara is a man now?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Justin_Brett posted:

Does this mean Sara is a man now?

no, Sara is now your slovenly drunken big sister and her original role goes to Angelica

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Really Pants posted:

I like this girl Rean. Rean is easily my least favorite of the main character designs (between Estelle/Kevin/Lloyd/Rean). Imagining his harem gender-swapped is also pretty great (Laura and Fie would be great like this; Alisa is a bit harder to imagine), though I've also always liked "reverse harems" more than "regular" ones.

Some Numbers posted:

For one, most of us haven't played CS3 and for another, I was specifically responding to someone saying "most of the final CS2 girl events are romantic," which is decidedly not the case.

Ah, I was responding as part of what you were talking about with Lord Koth (who mentioned CS3 in the context of blowback for CS3 not giving them much).

Prior to that, yeah, you can definitely be directly romantic with most of the characters in CS2. Tbh I kinda liked them toning down that aspect in CS3*, though based on what Lord Koth said they brought it back in 4 (which I haven't played much yet since I've been distracted by other things).

* It's also more self-aware about it; 1/2 played the harem relatively straight, while 3 at least has people noticing that everyone loves Rean and side-eyeing him (which is also the way Zero/Ao did it).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*clears throat*

girliath momsborne

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Endorph posted:

*while watching mueller pound olivier's bishie rear end*

there's a pretty common character archetype of older men dicking younger men's holes that in most cases is independent of sexuality

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Endorph posted:

*clears throat*

girliath momsborne

I almost said "girl Olivier" but I forgot that she already exists in Alfin.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Endorph posted:

*clears throat*

girliath momsborne

*hisses in pain*

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

why do we not have a cross dressing Rean

why do we not have a scene in CS4 where Rean and Joshua need to cross dress in a play in a bid to bring down a corrupt emperor.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Here, have a date with Duvalie instead

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!
In some far-off universe, Dorothee is touching herself so hard right now.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

I forgot to add the :stwoon: to my post, I swear I'm not backpedaling, I just looked into my soul to discover that Rean was the best girl after all, is all

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
I really hope the Calvard arc has a woman main protagonist again.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
It's kind of telling that it's pretty much considered a done deal that if Falcom wanted to drop the harem-scenarios, their only way to do so would be to have another female protagonist. It essentially concludes that if another male lead would be used and the female main roster exceeded the number 1, the otaku Falcom has to pander to would never accept being restricted to a single option. It also concludes that if a female protagonist made a return, the existence of multiple romantic options would spark howls of outrage from the same audience.

Technically we've already had a male protagonist who was locked to a canon pairing, though I admit Kevin's kind of a unique case.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think they just said that because it's been one FeMC followed by three guys. That said I'm doubtful they'll do it again since there's interviews saying they were already here and there on Estelle mid-development.

Motto fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Oct 12, 2018

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I hope the next Trails game continues the adventures of Estelle's family.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Erpy posted:

It essentially concludes that if another male lead would be used and the female main roster exceeded the number 1, the otaku Falcom has to pander to would never accept being restricted to a single option. It also concludes that if a female protagonist made a return, the existence of multiple romantic options would spark howls of outrage from the same audience.
why are you blaming this on 'the otaku falcom has to pander to' when a large chunk of the trails audience is female, and the developers themselves are the ones being cagey and mildly weird about estelle and romance options, unprompted, with no mention of audience desires

its okay to just accept that the thing you like is made by people who can be weirdos sometimes, they werent forced into it by some dreaded Japanese Man In His 30s Wearing Glasses Who Watches PreCure And Shitposts About It Online, they just, have weird standards and wants for their own art

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
the kind of people who would complain about the number of romantic options in Trails in the Calvard: Anton and Ricky's Big Adventure will find something else to complain about, don't worry

they will still buy the game and the developers at Falcom are aware of this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Considering how much of these games are based on anime the devs like, the fact that the dev team is small and insular, and the fact that its seemingly almost entirely male, i feel like the otaku might be coming from inside the house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Erpy posted:

It's kind of telling that it's pretty much considered a done deal that if Falcom wanted to drop the harem-scenarios, their only way to do so would be to have another female protagonist. It essentially concludes that if another male lead would be used and the female main roster exceeded the number 1, the otaku Falcom has to pander to would never accept being restricted to a single option. It also concludes that if a female protagonist made a return, the existence of multiple romantic options would spark howls of outrage from the same audience.

Technically we've already had a male protagonist who was locked to a canon pairing, though I admit Kevin's kind of a unique case.

Ye of small mind.

They could have a female protagonist... with a reverse harem.