Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Davros1 posted:

Gonna wonder if it comes out that after Barry's disappearance, future Iris didn't want Nora do any speedster stuff, and Nora rebelled.

I think it might be the reverse opposite in a way. People are saying that Iris neglected Nora and withdrew from the world after Barry went missing, and that’s a great theory, but what if it’s the opposite? Nora said several times that Iris was just “always around”, right? What if losing Barry turned Iris into a crazy-involved helicopter mom for Nora and she’s resentful of and avoiding Present Iris because Future Iris never gave her a moment’s peace or shred of independence?

I mean, either way the end goal is Iris learning what she did to Nora in the future and resolving to be a better person than that now that she has a chance to avoid it, it’s just a matter of what route they’re gonna take to get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I liked the first episode. And enjoying Nora (and the actress) she is so peppy.

Villain seems pretty cool to but see how that goes.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

nine-gear scarecrow posted:

I think it might be the reverse opposite in a way. People are saying that Iris neglected Nora and withdrew from the world after Barry went missing, and that’s a great theory, but what if it’s the opposite? Nora said several times that Iris was just “always around”, right? What if losing Barry turned Iris into a crazy-involved helicopter mom for Nora and she’s resentful of and avoiding Present Iris because Future Iris never gave her a moment’s peace or shred of independence?

I mean, either way the end goal is Iris learning what she did to Nora in the future and resolving to be a better person than that now that she has a chance to avoid it, it’s just a matter of what route they’re gonna take to get there.

Or ... Or ... hear me out ...

Speed Force.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Davros1 posted:

Or ... Or ... hear me out ...

Speed Force.

You have the superior argument. I concede.

E:

Digital Jedi posted:

I liked the first episode. And enjoying Nora (and the actress) she is so peppy.

Villain seems pretty cool to but see how that goes.

The best part is that with Flash doing mini-arcs this year like Agents of SHIELD, if this Big Bad sucks, he won't be around for long anyway before the next one shows up.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 11, 2018

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

nine-gear scarecrow posted:

The best part is that with Flash doing mini-arcs this year like Agents of SHIELD, if this Big Bad sucks, he won't be around for long anyway before the next one shows up.

Oh are they? That'll be nice, the main issue with some earlier seasons was how things got dragged out.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I appreciate Ralph referencing that he was declared dead by particle accelerator in Season 1.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Just noticed the new thread title.

Nice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Welp. That was poo poo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Welp. That was poo poo.

drat, that was fast.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What was good about it?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

What was good about it?

What was bad about it?

Your move :colbert:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Chokes McGee posted:

What was bad about it?

Handwaving away "do not gently caress with timetravel anymore" because their future daughter wants to hang around. I guess the black flash or whatever doesn't care either.
With yet another speedster, Wally isn't gonna get to do poo poo.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Keiynan Lonsdale already said he's leaving, so Wally's not going to be around for a while on either show.

The only real fault with the premiere is when Wally returned from talking to the Legends, he wasn't dressed like a caveman, or carrying Excalibur or something, suggesting that he had gotten sucked up into another wacky adventure.

That, and he didn't say "Beebo be praised".

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 13, 2018

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Legends should do an ep where they make a change to the timeline, but have it stick past the end, and then reflect that in all the shows; like, suddenly Barry and Ollie suddenly start referencing Beebo the way someone might normally reference Jesus, and then have Kara think it's just a weird Earth-1 meme next time she visits. It would be kind of like the Hollywoo joke in Bojack.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Argue posted:

Legends should do an ep where they make a change to the timeline, but have it stick past the end, and then reflect that in all the shows; like, suddenly Barry and Ollie suddenly start referencing Beebo the way someone might normally reference Jesus, and then have Kara think it's just a weird Earth-1 meme next time she visits. It would be kind of like the Hollywoo joke in Bojack.

Oh Beebo, yes.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Woah, guys, what if...what if the next Wells was a Beebo? Wellsbo?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Is Cavanaugh coming back?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Chokes McGee posted:

What was bad about it?

Dialogue, sets, acting, plot, props.

It was a very clear drop in quality from the already lousy previous season. And XS in name only was just terrible in pretty much every scene.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I just wanna watch a dumb campy superhero show about dumb campy superhero poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ApeHawk posted:

I just wanna watch a dumb campy superhero show about dumb campy superhero poo poo.

Same. Too bad this isn't that.

The new suit is bad. The color is okay but the new mask looks goofy.

Also I am as angry and annoyed about "XS" as some people were about Iris and Wally being black.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Keiynan Lonsdale already said he's leaving, so Wally's not going to be around for a while on either show.

The only real fault with the premiere is when Wally returned from talking to the Legends, he wasn't dressed like a caveman, or carrying Excalibur or something, suggesting that he had gotten sucked up into another wacky adventure.

That, and he didn't say "Beebo be praised".

Missed opportunity to have him on both shows at once. Just imply the entire season of LoT happened while he was gone.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Same. Too bad this isn't that.

Also I am as angry and annoyed about "XS" as some people were about Iris and Wally being black.

I disagree with everything but the suit. It feels like they wanted a more comic-like suit but a whole lot of comic suits just weren't made to translate 1:1 to the real world and so this one looks like poo poo. It was way more fun to see Barry back in the season 1/S2 suits again.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Best part of the episode was the intercutting between Barry giving the pep talk to XS
with Wells giving Barry the pep talk.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Rhyno posted:

Agreed on the mask. Barry's actor doesn't have the jawline to carry that mask without the chin-strap. But I don't know what you have against XS. I thought she was great.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Davros1 posted:

Is Cavanaugh coming back?

Yes. Though apparently it's going to be yet another completely different Wells from Thawne/Harry/HR this time. So we'll see what direction they go this year.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Thing about the new suit is that it makes Barry look really skinny.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

As opposed to the Season 4 suit, which made him look flabby thanks to the way it folded over when doing certain movements or poses.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Phenotype posted:

But I don't know what you have against XS. I thought she was great.

Yeah, what’s the issue? Also my mind is blown that she is not 19 or whatever, but actually a month older than me and 34.

Iris has good genes.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

muscles like this! posted:

Grant Gustin doesn't like you.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmOqZNLhZ91/

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Handwaving away "do not gently caress with timetravel anymore" because their future daughter wants to hang around.
Has there ever been a time when Barry said he wasn't going to time travel any more and then actually didn't?

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

Has there ever been a time when Barry said he wasn't going to time travel any more and then actually didn't?

No.

Anyways, here are my thoughts on the premiere since I didn't have time to write one until now.

Overall, I thought it was a pretty good episode overall, aside from all the learning your future from your future daughter stuff. I mean c'mon, Barry, Nora, and Wally all vibrated an entire plane full of people THROUGH the city skyscrapers, I mean how bad-rear end was that for a premiere episode? Learning that Barry disappears and never returns in the future was an interesting development though. Is there any word on who the "Big Bad" enemy for this season is yet?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Vietnamwees posted:

Learning that Barry disappears and never returns in the future was an interesting development though. Is there any word on who the "Big Bad" enemy for this season is yet?

Is it really new development though? We've known about Barry disappearing for five seasons now. And the big bad is the guy who showed up at the end of the episode.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I did some googling and saw that the villain is most likely Cicada but I have no idea who that character is from my cursory comics knowledge. From what I read about him he doesn't sound like a very good foil for the Flash but who knows.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Rhyno posted:

What was good about it?

Oh I don't know, I'm just reading the thread right now and people were happy about two pages ago. Haven't checked it out myself yet.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

pile of brown posted:

I did some googling and saw that the villain is most likely Cicada but I have no idea who that character is from my cursory comics knowledge. From what I read about him he doesn't sound like a very good foil for the Flash but who knows.

It's pretty much that person in name only iirc.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xelkelvos posted:

It's pretty much that person in name only iirc.

Ditto for XS.

Comic XS is Barry and Iris' granddaughter. She was a member of the Legion 1000 years in the future. Her name was also Jenni, not Nora. The only thing I found to be reasonably cute was the use of the Batman Beyond future slang.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Comic XS is Barry and Iris' granddaughter. She was a member of the Legion 1000 years in the future. Her name was also Jenni, not Nora. The only thing I found to be reasonably cute was the use of the Batman Beyond future slang.

Idea for the new Flash thread title:

The Flash S5-That's so SHWAY!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Do we even need a new thread? We're at like, 50 posts since the premier.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Vietnamwees posted:

Idea for the new Flash thread title:

The Flash S5-That's so SHWAY!

It's shwarbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Argue posted: