Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Renegret posted:

this guy owns

You would think the MTA would have just said gently caress it and given him a job after the second or third time..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

OrthoTrot posted:

Okay, well let’s have a look at Cowden. A pretty minor incident in the great scheme of things, but one with several fascinating (terrifying) details.

Really good read, thank you.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

KoRMaK posted:

Yea, it doesn't look like a nice cross, it looks like asymmetrical glitter

Here's a comparison to a normal launch:

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

:bravo: very well written

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

You would think the MTA would have just said gently caress it and given him a job after the second or third time..

"But what about our completely blind and inflexible adherence to the law and to policies forbidding criminals from re-entering society!" - MTA, Feds and any other number of other entities that if they had any common sense would've hired him in an operational security role after the second time at the latest.

The train museum not hiring him seems particularly ridiculous though -- you can bet they'll eventually have an exhibit about the dude in the future because it's such a good story, but he could be working there now.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Ultraklystron posted:

The train museum not hiring him seems particularly ridiculous though -- you can bet they'll eventually have an exhibit about the dude in the future because it's such a good story, but he could be working there now.

The whole article is super depressing with regards of how we treat our homeless and mentally ill.And I use the term mentally ill really loosely here because he has high functioning autism. Dude just really likes trains! There's actually this whole underground community of train nerds, (half of them with high functioning autism, the other half being retired employees) where they sit around a table for hours with sheets of train numbers and scrutinize the logistics of what train or bus went where at what time.

I should ask my dad about this guy. I bet he personally knows him.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Renegret posted:

The whole article is super depressing with regards of how we treat our homeless and mentally ill.And I use the term mentally ill really loosely here because he has high functioning autism. Dude just really likes trains! There's actually this whole underground community of train nerds, (half of them with high functioning autism, the other half being retired employees) where they sit around a table for hours with sheets of train numbers and scrutinize the logistics of what train or bus went where at what time.

I should ask my dad about this guy. I bet he personally knows him.

Yeah I'm kinda into model trains and any time I interact with "the community" or go to a train show a huge number of the old dudes who 100% have mild to medium undiagnosed autism. Younger people get properly diagnosed these days, but guys who grew up in the 50's? They're just odd ducks that memorize the serial numbers of every PRR locomotive between 1920 and 1953 and will recite them to anyone that comes within their reach.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Just in case you weren't angry enough:

quote:

Following 911, Darius volunteered his knowledge and skill to make the New York City subway system safe. Darius led a team of federal agents, New York City Intelligence Detectives and New York State Police through the subway system identifying locations where intruders were able to enter without being detected. Darius was actually incarcerated at the time. He was taken in shackles from his prison cell at Riker's Island by teams of federal agents to tour the subway system assisting law enforcement with their efforts. For his contributions, Darius received no benefit. Instead, the Department of Corrections was notified that Darius was "easily manipulated" and a "terrorist could gain valuable knowledge from him." As a result, Darius was placed into solitary confinement.
https://www.freedariusnow.com/darius-mccollum/

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

haveblue posted:

They don't have a lot of choice, the capsule isn't attached to a rocket any more.

so you're saying the front fell off?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
putting the can’t in cantilevered

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
is that because of soil erosion of was it purposely built that way?

its like bojack horsemans house

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

bring back old gbs posted:

is that because of soil erosion of was it purposely built that way?

its like bojack horsemans house

:cmon:

Bojack Houseman

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/nAK47xG.mp4

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Well that explains what happened to the mouse.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

The Lone Badger posted:

Well that explains what happened to the mouse.

Can I fix the hardware intrusion with a mongoose? I mean, it's not native security, but I hear it works.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

Here's a comparison to a normal launch:

Korolev’s Swan

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

OrthoTrot posted:

I legit don't think there are any, although I'm not an engineer. Even top spec trains have trouble with leaves, although much less so than older stock due to computerised wheel slip controls and sanding systems

It may be of interest to note that it isn't leaves that are the problem in themselves; it's the oils released from some types of leaves after they are crushed. Hence the whole "wrong type of leaves" thing.

It seems it would be trivial to install rotating brushes in front of the wheels to at least reduce this problem.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Perhaps lower the rails?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Phanatic posted:

What's going on in the video of the mishap does not look like normal booster separation at all.

yeah the stream clearly has more than the nominal 4 pieces tumbling through the air

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Can I fix the hardware intrusion with a mongoose? I mean, it's not native security, but I hear it works.

good idea ill try it out

edit: the mongoose has taken up residence in my pc :(

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

TTerrible posted:

Perhaps lower the rails?

No no, lower the trees.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I'm kinda into model trains and any time I interact with "the community" or go to a train show a huge number of the old dudes who 100% have mild to medium undiagnosed autism. Younger people get properly diagnosed these days, but guys who grew up in the 50's? They're just odd ducks that memorize the serial numbers of every PRR locomotive between 1920 and 1953 and will recite them to anyone that comes within their reach.

This. A couple of weekends ago, my wife and I booked some pretty expensive seats in the dome of one of the Cuyahoga Valley Line's old California Zephyr cars. The train was being pulled by live steam (Nickel Plate #765) which is a rarity in itself for the CVSR. I wanted to enjoy the ride, and the scenery but there were two old guys across the table from us, decked out head to toe in 765 apparel, who wouldn't stop yammering to us about every loving detail of the train and locomotive for an hour and a half. They knew the serial numbers of every drat part on the loco, who built the wheel bearings, how fast it could go (there was much complaining about that), what kind of turbine generator it had, on, and on. We always respect old folks because they've been around the corner far more than us, but God, I just wanted to enjoy my beer and check out the view from the dome car. I drank 3 and just kept nodding and smiling.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Former DILF posted:

good idea ill try it out

edit: the mongoose has taken up residence in my pc :(

Oh no, I was afraid of that :ohdear:

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
time to invest in a pair of jackals

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I don't think your version of Python is legit.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://imgur.com/gallery/GPQcp4U

Holy hell, some people are dumb. No exciting picture, but the story is enough.

I cant seem to copy the text from the imgur app since I’m on my phone but the short of it is: foolish people tear out gas main, figure dumping dirt back in the hole is sufficient, and multiple blocks have to be evacuated.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

https://imgur.com/gallery/GPQcp4U

Holy hell, some people are dumb. No exciting picture, but the story is enough.

I cant seem to copy the text from the imgur app since I’m on my phone but the short of it is: foolish people tear out gas main, figure dumping dirt back in the hole is sufficient, and multiple blocks have to be evacuated.

less lovely version of imgur posted:

I am a letter carrier for the post office and was delivering mail on this street. There is construction going on one of the properties. 2 guys were using a bulldozer to excavate the property and i happened to be watching while they used the bulldozer to removed a underground pipe (which i believe they thought was an old water line) and turned out to be a 3 inch gas line. After breaking the line open gas spewed into the air, well these 2 jackasses used the bulldozer to cover it with a pile of dirt and continue working. But the pressure just turned the pile into a volcano shape as the gas escaped. So i call police and fire and they are now evacuating 2 blocks of residents due to bad air and also impending explosion if a spark or fire were to be ignited. Just sharing an interesting moment on the job.

*sorry about the picture quality. I got out of there cause i was feeling light headed. I am currently 3 blocks away taking a break and this picture.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

lol if you posted:

so you're saying the front fell off?

It's okay, we shot the rocket out of the environment

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The bulldozer guys should have driven back and forth over the dirt to pack it air tight.

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's okay, we shot the rocket out of the environment

what sort of materiels do they make these rockets out of?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Well, cardboard's out.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Medieval reenactor falls on own sword spear.

johnnyratbastard
Nov 9, 2012
https://i.imgur.com/dpAEc0p.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/Ghk7CEe.mp4

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

GotLag posted:

Well that's loving horrible.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

loving why!? why not just hold something with the forks and ram it with that if you're gonna be a dumbass? why not just do it with like sledges or something?

GotLag posted:

this is hosed up

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Why do so many people nowadays post GIFs that don't fit on most VDUs?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jerry Cotton posted:

The image storage site imgur.com makes almost all gifv/webm/mp4s that size for some reason and they can't be resized for the forums (yet).

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Add this to ViolentMonkey or what ever scripting addon your browser likes and watch the problem go away with magic. Change height to what ever you want for your screen.

Remove the URL tags though

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @name               shorter videos
// @namespace          [url]https://forums.somethingawful.com/[/url]
// @description        asdf
// @include            [url]https://forums.somethingawful.com/*[/url]
// @grant              GM_addStyle
// ==/UserScript==

GM_addStyle("video { max-height: 700px; } ");

window.addEventListener("load", function() {
    $("video").attr("controls", "controls");
}, false);

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jerry Cotton posted:

The videos are filmed in portrait mode on people's phones, which have way too loving many pixels these days.

There's a Tampermonkey script that someone posted in one of the PYF threads that was being plagued by Huge MP4 Syndrome and it's an absolute lifesaver. It resizes gifs, gifvs, webm and MP4 files to whatever vertical size you choose. Someone will come along and be super helpful and post it here after this post - I would except I'm on my laptop and don't have it handy.

edit: Heh, someone who can type much faster than I can already did.