Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

It Just Got Worse posted:

I'm imagining someone sliding a DVD with "Hola" written on it in sharpie under Scott Eastwood's door.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

It Just Got Worse posted:

I'm imagining someone sliding a DVD with "Hola" written on it in sharpie under Scott Eastwood's door.

:stare:

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Sometimes dead is better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VllcgXSIJkE

Do not gently caress with Church.

clown shoes fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 10, 2018

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
what's the music from that trailer? something exact used before or just derivative? Feels like something I've already heard, like in an A24 thing.
it looks pretty good/fun. lol at #johnlithgow apparently being a necessary social media draw though. kids love that lithgow

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0xv99h17QE

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Okay I need to work for Netflix. Being paid stupid money to whip together poo poo like that sounds like a breeze.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

kiimo posted:

Okay I need to work for Netflix. Being paid stupid money to whip together poo poo like that sounds like a breeze.

Make sure to start a Union there after you arrive.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

... what in the loving world? Did Kurt Russell have to pay off a gambling debt or something?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Timby posted:

... what in the loving world? Did Kurt Russell have to pay off a gambling debt or something?

Probably something for his grandkids, I'd imagine.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Timby posted:

Paying off that antique Martin guitar he destroyed during Hateful Eight

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Punkin Spunkin posted:

what's the music from that trailer? something exact used before or just derivative? Feels like something I've already heard, like in an A24 thing.
it looks pretty good/fun. lol at #johnlithgow apparently being a necessary social media draw though. kids love that lithgow

It's the same kind of weird strings music used for the mother! and Hereditary trailers (the latter of which is A24, so you were right).

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Netflix's movie where The Rock is John Henry and leads a team of other American legends, directed by John Kasdan, has a teaser already.

https://twitter.com/TheRock/status/1049783776094670848

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

clown shoes posted:

Sometimes dead is better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VllcgXSIJkE

Do not gently caress with Church.

drat, this looks good.

April though? poo poo.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

The MSJ posted:

Netflix's movie where The Rock is John Henry and leads a team of other American legends, directed by John Kasdan, has a teaser already.

Tall Tale remake kind of out of nowhere but ok

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

The MSJ posted:

As an adult and thinking about John Henry for the first time since elementary school... something doesn’t feel right about a folk tale where a black man working himself to death is applauded and nobody questions the corporation continuing to get rich from underpaid labor

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Is it just me or is it kinda weird that The Rock is playing a black folk story hero.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
He’s half black. There seems to be a big split on twitter about whether that’s good or bad

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 11, 2018

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Steve Yun posted:

He’s half black. There seems to be a big split on twitter about whether that’s good or bad

Well luckily twitter is on the case here.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

The only one I could find was a white person having a go at him. Because if there's one thing us coloured folks need, it's woke white people tellin' us what sort of representation is and isn't acceptable on our behalf, because our coloured brains are too loving stupid to think for ourselves.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
There’s plenty negative responses on Dwayne Johnson’s own announcement tweet

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

From the Gen Chat thread:

Steve Yun posted:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dwayne-johnson-faces-backlash-after-casting-himself-as-john-henry-in-new-netflix-movie/

quote:

Dwayne Johnson faces backlash after casting himself as John Henry in new Netflix movie

I haven't thought about John Henry since elementary school and... it seems like a bad folk tale now. Black man dies from overwork, company continues to make money off underpaid laborers, The End.

Edit: Whoops, I just realised that you were the one posting this in the first place.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Is it just me or is it kinda weird that The Rock is playing a black folk story hero.

It's weird. The Rock has very deliberately kept his Black heritage at arms length in favor of embracing a racially ambiguous, all-American, straight talking leading man persona. He almost never talks about his father beyond platitudes, doesn't identify as Black iirc, and up until this year had never had a leading female costar/love interest who was Black. It's definitely something that gets the side eye in the community. Same for Vin Diesel.

So people have been discussing it for that reason and also for the fact that there are plenty of dark skinned actors who could do the role justice (more of a colorism discussion but I digress), but obviously don't have the star power of the Rock.

Honestly the John Henry story is hosed up and a bold choice for any kind of folktale adaptation, even if they will likely soften the edges since this is for kids/families.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It's not actually a John Henry movie. It's John Henry apparently leading a team of folk heroes from around the world. That leads to another problem people have with the movie, that it erases the racial element of the John Henry story in favour of making a story with an international flavor as The Rock states when announcing it

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 11, 2018

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The Rock is making an empty feelgood movie with nothing to say? :monocle:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Rock is loving boring.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A new Glass trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ztHi9ejp4

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I still like Unbreakable and Split was pretty good. You can sort of see him straining against the budget in some shots but it looks like a good goofy time

Also the Unbreakable soundtrack still rules

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

I dig this, and especially letting McAvoy act his rear end off again

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i would enjoy greatly if more superhero movies went away from handsome men basically playing themselves as superheroes (see: RDJ, Chris Pratt, The Chris Collective) and more into good actors acting their loving asses off (see: Tom Hardy, James McAvoy)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Aladdin teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzWlGGokGeE

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
(re:Aladdin remake)

The lighting is wrong.
The desert looks too dark/cold and the night scene is too bright/warm.

MoaM fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 12, 2018

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I’m probably not the target audience, but all the live-action Disney remakes seem really... soulless to me.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

QuoProQuid posted:

I’m probably not the target audience, but all the live-action Disney remakes seem really... soulless to me.
I sure as gently caress don't remember a single goddamn thing about the couple I've seen except for Scarlett Johansson as a snake singing that song in nu Jungle Book.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I thought Jungle Book was fantastic but I was on a plane and you can’t trust your emotions up there

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

kiimo posted:

I thought Jungle Book was fantastic but I was on a plane and you can’t trust your emotions up there

It was clean and fun. Forgettable aside from Walken's great turn as the king ape.
Beauty and the beast was unwatchable garbage and I can't imagine why this would be different

It'll make 2billion

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Was there a single frame where the background wasn't CGI?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Bonus Aladdin teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIEZkBR1yWw

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Will Smith as Genie.

Yeah okay. If you say so, movie. I doubt they’ll have hours of cut material with him from the booth.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Oh poo poo, Amahl Farouk as The Sultan?

Dude rules. I'm in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP13Vd4fIoY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

i would enjoy greatly if more superhero movies went away from handsome men basically playing themselves as superheroes (see: RDJ, Chris Pratt, The Chris Collective) and more into good actors acting their loving asses off (see: Tom Hardy, James McAvoy)

RDJ might just be playing himself but he's also acting his rear end off (at least in the movies in which he's the front and center star).