Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Good timing lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Battletech is trying to get new starter boxes on shelves but has recently discovered the perils of overseas manufacturing.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Is this the new version that was at gencon?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Flipswitch posted:

Is this the new version that was at gencon?

With Battletech it's never a new version. It's the same game with a bit of copy editing and some new plastics. But yeah it's the one they were showing at Gencon.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Gumdrop Larry posted:

It would be great if something non-GW managed to get the kind of foothold and consistent presence as a miniature game that Magic has as a card game. I guess it's the inherent nature of the genre that it will always be kind of niche, but I place a lot of value both on hobby and a good ruleset/tournament scene. I want to paint guys very nice and also play tight games with them. A well structured organized play system with cool incentives and rewards and stuff like the Press Ganger program that PP killed off is exactly what games need and always feels like is really lacking.

I know it's still GW, but Shadespire is really good for that. We've got a solid little scene in London, it's not difficult to play at a store/club every day if you wanted to. Been to two big events and three smaller ones, and everybody has been far friendlier than I expected for a competitive game. Organised play prize support is nice, and on top of that, the game is actually good.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
it should be emphasised that Shadespire is EXTREMELY GOOD

normally I vomit uncontrollably when I see anything branded with AoS, but with Shadespire I can tolerate it for minutes at a time!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Moola posted:

it should be emphasised that Shadespire is EXTREMELY GOOD

normally I vomit uncontrollably when I see anything branded with AoS, but with Shadespire I can tolerate it for minutes at a time!

When it first came out, some friends of mine complained that it was too basic and very luck based. Do you feel thats true, or was true and is better? It seems pretty popular after the second edition

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Nebalebadingdong posted:

When it first came out, some friends of mine complained that it was too basic and very luck based. Do you feel thats true, or was true and is better? It seems pretty popular after the second edition

It has dice and topdeck so of course luck plays a part.
With a very large card pool and objective-based scoring, it is quite tactical and just like in a lot of card games, you can do either aggro or control playstyle.
Lots of private information (objectives and ploy cards in your hand), so anticipating your opponent and disrupting his plan for the game is very important.

Shadespire (or rather Underworlds since Shadespire is the 1st season) is very good and we are lucky to have a very lively meta, with 20+ people regular tournaments. Game appeals really well to X-Wing players and those who don't want to commit to full AoS armies.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

fatherboxx posted:

Shadespire (or rather Underworlds since Shadespire is the 1st season) is very good and we are lucky to have a very lively meta, with 20+ people regular tournaments. Game appeals really well to X-Wing players and those who don't want to commit to full AoS armies.

Naw, it is always going to be Shadespire to everyone exactly like Imperial Guard. I am so glad it is getting another "season", though I do need to pick up the Gun Stormcast to have everything at some point.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

grassy gnoll posted:

Also this was a rad post. Thank you for writing it up. Is their DC minis game much the same?

With the caveat that I haven't actually played it despite owning plenty of minis and can just download the rules and character cards, DCU is pitched a bit more beer and pretzels in that it is a simpler game focused on the super human folks chucking the terrain at each other.

Some people think it is a bit simple, but everyone agrees it is the easier game to learn and more accessible for that. Generally people seem to like it, some prefer it to BMG some are happy playing both.

The community is expecting it to go into a second edition soonish but KM don't communicate that sort of thing so who knows. Like BMG the models have gone through the same transition from metal to resin, now maybe to some new resin.

Big plus for both games is that a lot of the character models (not the henchmen mooks like Jokers clowns etc) have rules for both games (some are found in pdfs like the manual) and anything sold as Multiverse comes with cards for both games.

Oh and if you ever bought any of their Marvel stuff, it is the exact same rules and many TO's are happy to let you bring them to DCU events. You will probably get best though as the DC stuff is apparently stronger. Whether KM did that on purpose or just as a side effect of growing the game is subject to the thickness of your tin foil hat.

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 12, 2018

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Archenteron posted:

How's BattleTech faring nowadays? Just found out the guys who make the minis for the game (and also a bunch of old Ral Partha fantasy stuff) have their factory in my city.

Thanks to the advent of MWO and Harebrained's PC game, there is a wealth of Actually Good BattleTech minis based on the MWO sculpts available now. They are, of course, not official, so you have to poke around to find them. But they're quite excellent.

(not mine, but I have some of these)

Catalyst Game Labs kinda loving sucks, unfortunately. Instead of pulling a brain genius move and releasing a new starter set alongside the new PC game, they have yet to even ship the product to distributors as of today. They clinically mismanage the IP.

The Wars of Reaving is an incredible sourcebook, though, and some of the later Jihad stuff was solidly okay. WoR is probably one of the best books ever made for BT and I'd wager for most other nerd universes.

In the end, the best way to play BattleTech is still using MegaMek. Unless you've been playing for years, it's really hard to keep the more complex (and fun) rules in-mind. I usually play MegaMek with people everyone once in a while and it's fun. :)

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

When is the new minis hitting stores?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Atlas Hugged posted:

Battletech is trying to get new starter boxes on shelves but has recently discovered the perils of overseas manufacturing.

CGL cannot find their rear end with both hands, a map, a ground guide, and runway lights on a good day, so that is terribly shocking.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Flipswitch posted:

No one knows :)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I feel like it's the least luck based game GW have put out tbh

I've only watched two games and played a few so I'm no expert

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Flipswitch posted:

Hopefully before Christmas.

Catalyst Game Labs is so hosed up that Battletech is their prestige product that has the most support in terms of a dedicated team. Think about that for a moment.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

They failed so badly at making a Shadowrun squad level minis game that they quietly canceled it after five years of not getting minis made.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Archenteron posted:

How's BattleTech faring nowadays? Just found out the guys who make the minis for the game (and also a bunch of old Ral Partha fantasy stuff) have their factory in my city.

There is an excellent LP in this very forum by superstar Poptarts Ninja.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Maybe if we're lucky Paradox will buy the licenses off of CGL for the cost of a kitchen renovation and give it to HBS. I know it would probably have to be done through Topps but CGL is a joke.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Can you imagine CGL trying to come up with their own IP? :lol:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I wish I didn’t hate the AoS aesthetic. Shadespire looks like something I would probably enjoy. Also I hate AoS in solidarity with my WHFB homies.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Just don't play as one of the Sigmarine factions, pinp

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hixson posted:

I wish I didn’t hate the AoS aesthetic. Shadespire looks like something I would probably enjoy. Also I hate AoS in solidarity with my WHFB homies.

The big mash your guys in the middle and string your guys out as a tactic isn’t very interesting op

Anyway the really cool skirmish game is actually gas lands cuz you can buy any $1 hot wheels car and play

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

DrPop posted:

Just don't play as one of the Sigmarine factions, pinp

Yeah but someone else might play them and I'd have to look at them

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

My friends and I were looking at the starter box for the night haunt and sigmarines as a decently priced kit for other games but that would mean someone had to get the sigmarines half so we never did.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Hixson posted:

Just play Skaven or Skeletons

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Hell Pit making em a lot cuter than they used to.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

D'aww. Someone get that poor possum a coat.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Liquid Cannibalism posted:

Can you imagine CGL trying to come up with their own IP? :lol:

They did IIRC, it was WW2 battleships painted with super-science paint that let them fly.

Seriously.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Atlas Hugged posted:

I have to wonder if they weren't trying a new crew on this or something? Maybe there was some hubris involved since they'd been able to (mostly) deliver on their other kickstarters and they over committed to retail (like Hawk) and had contractual obligations to get poo poo on shelves? I'm not defending them to be sure. I just wish I knew how they went from one of the most reliable kickstarter creators to an absolute shitshow. I'm expecting my Vanguard stuff in the next couple of weeks which is actually a bit early and they're trying to get stuff on retail shelves very quickly thereafter, so I guess they worked out the kinks?

I have no idea. One thing that seems to have happened is that their timelines for the stuff that was going to be part of wave 2 got stretched out so that some products were getting produced last year while others are just getting to Mantic now. Mantic decided to hold all those items that were done until all of wave 2 was done for backers, but sent those products out to retail.

quote:

AOS Discussion

The discussion of AOS vs Fantasy is pointless regardless of whether you like AOS or not (I was so off put by it I have not paid attention to it for a long time now) as they are just completely different types of games. I was into fantasy, flaws and all, because of its cool magic rank and flank style gameplay with neat characters and stuff. That is no longer a product GW offers, so my models continue to sit in bins in my basement. I realize I could play other games with them, but nothing had really grabbed a local group and I don't have the capacity to try to build a community myself right now. So instead I keep playing Warmachine, despite its recent flaws, and am hoping the community sticks around as, honestly, its been struggling lately.

Pash fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 12, 2018

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

moths posted:

They did IIRC, it was WW2 battleships painted with super-science paint that let them fly.CG

Seriously.

They insisted on calling them dirigibles

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

WHFB fluff: Deep, Rich, expansive
AoS fluff: Spacemarines with crossbows lol

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Just play Skaven or Skeletons

That the new dudes with the horse skulls were not literal undead skaven was heartbreaking.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

moths posted:

They did IIRC, it was WW2 battleships painted with super-science paint that let them fly.

Seriously.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/63027/leviathans

I forgot this game existed because it's that boring.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I’ve seen that giant leviathan (heh) box sit in an LGS for a few years now. It has survived several deep sales for some reason.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
It would be nice if literally a quarter of Shadespire's warbands weren't Sigmarines, can't deny that

Chill la Chill posted:

I’ve seen that giant leviathan (heh) box sit in an LGS for a few years now. It has survived several deep sales for some reason.

Is the box also faded as poo poo because the dumbasses who run your FLGS don't know you can get UV film for windows?

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Chill la Chill posted:

The big mash your guys in the middle and string your guys out as a tactic isn’t very interesting op

Anyway the really cool skirmish game is actually gas lands cuz you can buy any $1 hot wheels car and play

You can buy a case of beer and enough cars for a game with $20. Which is a great way to teach people.

• Buy a 30-rack of Hamm’s, some cars, and the cheap dice they have in grocery stores.
  • Begin drinking. Cut templates from the cardboard beer case.
  • Use empties as terrain. Add as you finish them off.
  • Set up and begin playing.
  • Loser buys the next case.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

You fuckers are going to finally get me to buy GW miniatures aren't you? Shadespire sounds cool, those skeletons are sweet as hell, skaven are back, and that price point is super affordable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I didn't even know Leviathans had hit retail