Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Wildeyes posted:

I like IDEOTV, but yeah, a whole lot of their episodes are a slog. I could probably put together a list of episodes that are worth listening to when I have the time.

Which is too bad, because the concept is rife with possibility. It's like...the show has structure, but the wrong kind of structure. Focus less on wacky reading and playing "What would this character do?" and more on giving a comprehensible explanation of what the book is and why it's terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

I'll bite: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, the Hardcore Holly Book, and a Million Little Pieces were my favorites.

As an aside, I like the old school hardcore references on this podcast.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

sweet_jones posted:

I'll bite: Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, the Hardcore Holly Book, and a Million Little Pieces were my favorites.

As an aside, I like the old school hardcore references on this podcast.

The dude who built his podcast empire out of making fun of Ready Player One for being full of references having a sense of humor that's like 90% musical references I don't get is a hell of a thing.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Guy Mann posted:

The dude who built his podcast empire out of making fun of Ready Player One for being full of references having a sense of humor that's like 90% musical references I don't get is a hell of a thing.

IDEOTV isn't a favorite of mine (the jingles and bits feel pointless and contrived), but the music references are fine, especially compared to RPO which reads like a troper tale half the time. A bunch of like "I took the Jurassic park logo, a dinosaur skeleton in a circle, and put it on the side of the DeLorean that 'Doc' Brown used in the famous Back to the Future film series."

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
My recs are a little more lady/YA-centric:

The Angel Experiment: Maximum Ride
Flowers in the Attic
Wild Animus

Daughter of the Blood too, just for how batshit the story is.

Forever Pucked is also fun, but the guest has a voice that a lot of people are going to find grating.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I’ve used Downcast for years but the regular crashes when plugged into car audio are annoying. What are recommendations for iOS podcast apps?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I’ve used Downcast for years but the regular crashes when plugged into car audio are annoying. What are recommendations for iOS podcast apps?

I went from Instacast > Downcast > Overcast and haven't looked back since Overcast launched

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Overcast is great.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

101 posted:

I went from Instacast > Downcast > Overcast and haven't looked back since Overcast launched

Thanks! This does look a lot smoother, and I like the option to skip silences.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

a dozen swans posted:

Totally the opposite. I'm a big radio fan and there's some really good radio out there. It's silly to complain about unprofessionalism in an amateur medium, but if you're an amateur surely you love what you do, right? I feel like the rough around the edges stuff is basically just disrespectful to the audience and their limited time.

(ps criminal is one of the best in the biz)

A problem I have is that I actually think poor audio quality is funny. One of my podcasts, by rule, is done in front of one of the most powerful consumer-level fans you can buy.

I tend to be pretty selective though to who I give links to, to people who hopefully Get It but randoms still seem to find it somehow and I pity them.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I like Castro a lot, although how much you like it will depend on how compatible your listening habits are with its system of presenting podcasts because it's not flexible beyond that.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Brocktoon posted:

Overcast is great.
All hail Overcast

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Oops

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 5, 2018

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theater Podcast is back for a new season.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Herring1967/videos

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Holy cow, I've been out of the loop on Earwolf and didn't know Andy Daly Podcast Pilot Project was back with a new season!

The first season is only eight episodes but is in the running for funniest all time podcasts, especially episode 4: The Travel Buy with August Lindt. They put the first season behind the Earwolf paywall so it was harder to recommend, but looks like they are all free again, with six brand new episodes in season two so far.

I thought this show would be a one time only mega-project, so glad it is back. Now we just need a new season of Mystery Show and all will be right in the world.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Ccs posted:

Richard Herring's Leicester Square Theater Podcast is back for a new season.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Herring1967/videos

interesting, I noticed he's interviewing alex horne. Will check that out.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I just listened to chart darling Dr. Death and it was pretty good. Crazy story, not my favorite production / presentation style though. Dirty John was better all around as far as mini-series go.

CurvyGoonWife
Jun 12, 2018
The CBC podcast Escaping NXIVM is excellent. I had a long drive yesterday and burned through it. It lags a tad in the middle, but overall is an incredibly detailed look inside a totally batshit cult.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

DogoDogo posted:

The CBC podcast Escaping NXIVM is excellent. I had a long drive yesterday and burned through it. It lags a tad in the middle, but overall is an incredibly detailed look inside a totally batshit cult.

I've been really impressed with the CBC's podcasting efforts. They did a good one recently on the Vancouver housing crisis called SOLD! that I think is a great way to understand why housing here is so hosed. 6 episodes.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

AndrewP posted:

I just listened to chart darling Dr. Death and it was pretty good. Crazy story, not my favorite production / presentation style though. Dirty John was better all around as far as mini-series go.

DogoDogo posted:

I highly recommend all three of these. Dirty John is probably the easiest to recommend, especially to people who aren't regular true crime podcast listeners, because it's pretty "light" as far as true crime goes. I'm hoping Wondery's new Aaron Hernandez series is good too.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I'm looking for a creepy, morbid podcast to spook me out/depress me. Not looking for supernatural stuff, more like the depravity of man. A little bit of levity would be good, but not to the point where it's a barrel of laughs like the last podcast on the left radio zoo djs. I haven't listened to sword and the scale as I've been kind of scared off by people's descriptions; I have the impression the host gets off to the morbid stuff. I'm not looking for a host that just revels in it.

I kind of like my favorite murder but the two hosts bullshit about real tedious stuff for like 15 minutes before they get started, and then they get sidetracked on tangents that take forever. At least that happened on the two episodes I listened to.

I know I'm drawing a fine line here, I want a morbid podcast that's not too serious but not too jokey. I'd rather it be too serious rather than too jokey, but 100% serious would probably be too much.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I'm looking for a creepy, morbid podcast to spook me out/depress me. Not looking for supernatural stuff, more like the depravity of man. A little bit of levity would be good, but not to the point where it's a barrel of laughs like the last podcast on the left radio zoo djs. I haven't listened to sword and the scale as I've been kind of scared off by people's descriptions; I have the impression the host gets off to the morbid stuff. I'm not looking for a host that just revels in it.

I kind of like my favorite murder but the two hosts bullshit about real tedious stuff for like 15 minutes before they get started, and then they get sidetracked on tangents that take forever. At least that happened on the two episodes I listened to.

I know I'm drawing a fine line here, I want a morbid podcast that's not too serious but not too jokey. I'd rather it be too serious rather than too jokey, but 100% serious would probably be too much.

Casefile. Straight and to the point crime stories and the guy doesn't play audio of people being murdered.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

WHY BONER NOW posted:

http://thedollop.libsyn.com/207-the-animal-horror-of-macquarie-island

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

WHY BONER NOW posted:

True Crime Guys, True Crime Garage. On the lighter side is Generation Why.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Thanks guys!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Thanks guys!

Yeah True Crime Garage is pretty much EXACTLY what you're looking for. Almost literally a description of it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
There's something incredibly depressing but also repellant about podcast hosts getting more and more desperate and passove-aggressive about the fans of their established shows not being interested in their new spinoff shows, especially when it involves a kickstarter goal and/or a looming deadline.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Some Dark Histories eps might be up your alley, particularly Roch Theriault and the Ant Hill Kids.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Guy Mann posted:

There's something incredibly depressing but also repellant about podcast hosts getting more and more desperate and passove-aggressive about the fans of their established shows not being interested in their new spinoff shows, especially when it involves a kickstarter goal and/or a looming deadline.

don't subtweet, name names.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Guy Mann posted:

It's okay, you can say the Tanis people

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

True Crime Garage.

Gave this one a go today and it's not for me. Maybe there's just too many similar podcasts like it.
I liked small town murders a bit more. But they mostly seem to go for very open-and-shut cases, usually with innocent, oblivious victim living idyllic life when they fall prey to some horrible monster.
And after describing the murder in horrible detail and just how hosed up the perpetrator was, they relish in the fact that he got the dead penalty.

I can see the attraction, though. And I'm not saying I'm above it.

Season 5 of 'someone knows something' just started. Another murder podcast, more in the vein of 'in the dark'/'death in ice valley' etc...
Also a bit overdone these days. But it's very well made, and the Canadian backdrop is a nice change of scenery. Season 2 is still my favorite.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's okay, you can say the Tanis people

They did is this again?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I like when a podcast tries to lend its popularity to a new podcast by subbing one of the new podcast's episodes into the popular podcast's feed. 99% Invisible does this all the time and so far I've never ended up subscribing to any of the shows they've promoted this way.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Thanks to whoever recommended behind the bastards.

The seagal one and the Saddam one are pretty great.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Imagined posted:

I like when a podcast tries to lend its popularity to a new podcast by subbing one of the new podcast's episodes into the popular podcast's feed. 99% Invisible does this all the time and so far I've never ended up subscribing to any of the shows they've promoted this way.

ah yeah there was that one episode where the presenters were struggling to make ends meet, until they find some sv-dude promising to pay them in crypto-currency. "the ~block-chain~ will change everything". made me lol

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Imagined posted:

I find repeats quite annoying.
I get why they do them, but as someone who listens to the back catalogue if I enjoy a show, I don't like them.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

For fans of longform journalism a new podcast drops next week called Thunder Bay. Canada's own Podcast Emperor Jesse Brown sent a reporter to an isolated Northern Ontario city for a year to investigate corruption, racism, and maybe murder?

Trailer is up now:

http://www.canadalandshow.com/shows/thunder-bay/

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
What shows are better in live episodes? Usually I find they're like "Here's the same podcast but now with worse audio quality and some "Hello Cleveland!" references to a city you don't live in!" but some shows are legit better live.

Two particular examples of shows I think are better live are 'How Did This Get Made?" and MBMBaM. I guess it's not surprising that comedy shows do well, while I think more straight-faced discussion or factual shows just suffer. Like live MBMBaM is great but Sawbones is not, for ex.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 18, 2018

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

~Coxy posted:

I find repeats quite annoying.
I get why they do them, but as someone who listens to the back catalogue if I enjoy a show, I don't like them.

Reveal did this so much that I stopped listening to it which was a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

mrfart posted:

Thanks to whoever recommended behind the bastards.

The seagal one and the Saddam one are pretty great.

The Qaddafi, non-Nazi Bastards and Idi Amin ones are also great.

Imagined posted:

What shows are better in live episodes? Usually I find they're like "Here's the same podcast but now with worse audio quality and some "Hello Cleveland!" references to a city you don't live in!" but some shows are legit better live.

Two particular examples of shows I think are better live are 'How Did This Get Made?" and MBMBaM. I guess it's not surprising that comedy shows do well, while I think more straight-faced discussion or factual shows just suffer. Like live MBMBaM is great but Sawbones is not, for ex.

When I started reading your post my first thought was Sawbones, I loved the vasectomy and Oregon Trail ones. They're a lot lighter and like a stand-up show than regular episodes, though, so it depends what you like.

I've been listening a lot to the Amateur Traveler, a very chill travel podcast with a 600+ episode backlog, more grounded ones are useful as someone who likes to travel but I enjoy poo poo like North Korea, Rwanda and Vladivostok the best. Nothing like living vicariously through more adventurous people.