Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
So I'm pretty much convinced the game knows what I'm posting here.

Wizard Styles posted:

I only take either Colossus or Steel Brow, and mostly I'll take Colossus because Puncture scares me far more than crossbow bolts, but yeah one of the two is almost mandatory for melee bros.
The only exception are Duelist builds because the bros going for that have high Melee Defense and I give them Quick Hands so they start with a shield and can always switch back to it when needed.

One day I'll see a bro shoot someone off a cliff for lethal falling damage. One day.
Late game fight against 30 Orcs on a hill.
Everything is going mostly okay but my Wildman hammer bro is getting chain-stunned. He also gets pushed around a little and is rarely in a position to use the AoE attack. So he has trouble getting Reach Advantage stacks.
And so he gets hit.
In the head.

4 times in a row.
There's a 0.4% chance of that happening. :v:

However, during the same fight, he sends a wounded Berserker flying off the hill the one time he does get an AoE attack off. The Berserker dies from the falling damage.

That triggers on-kill effects like Berserk and Killing Frenzy, by the way, in case anyone was wondering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I started my first game and my starting band of 6 bumped into a Nachzehrer, which proceeded to kill half my company in 1-2 hits before being whittled down to 20%, then instantly healing to back to full health and killing the rest. Did I do something wrong or is that just the BB equivalent of the Dark Souls firelink graveyard skeletons.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Nachzehrer heal and power up by eating corpses. They're pretty easy once you realize that, although they can mess up a new company if they start buffed out, which sounds like that was probably your case.. Spearwalls are very handy against them.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I'm gonna guess you ran into a level 2 or 3 Nachy. Medium to big sized bastard with horns?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Looking at their sprites on the wiki, a level 3, yes.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Was it a single Nachzehrer or was it a bunch?

They can eat corpses to heal and get stronger.

E: F;B

Yeah the big fuckers are a pain, its actually not so bad if you come across a bunch of smaller ones as you can spearwall the majority out before your lines clash and after you kill a few their morale drops sharpish.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Oct 12, 2018

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
There is a pretty common undead group you can run into early on that is just one level 3 Nachzehrer, and it can tear your group apart if you're not prepared for it.
Luckily, they're pretty stupid, so you can usually cheese it with a good ol' spearwall.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Day 7. I take on the typical early game 1 skull contract to go kill a few Ancient Auxiliaries in a graveyard. No big deal; I like those quests because they give me a free supply of good early game helmets. Except the graveyard in question is almost a day's march away; deep in the wilderness, in goblin territory. Not only do I have to clear the graveyard, but my 8 man company has to contend with 2 separate parties of goblins - one on the way comprised of 4 skirmishers; one on the return trip of 4 wolfriders. Luckily I made it back to civilization with nothing more serious than a missing eye on one dude and a missing ear on another.

Broken Cog posted:

There is a pretty common undead group you can run into early on that is just one level 3 Nachzehrer, and it can tear your group apart if you're not prepared for it.
Luckily, they're pretty stupid, so you can usually cheese it with a good ol' spearwall.

I don't understand how you can lose men to a single Nachzehrer, level 3 or otherwise. They just walk into your spearwall until they die. Even half a dozen of the baby ones should be no trouble for an early company (anything post killing Hogarth)

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 12, 2018

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

I don't understand how you can lose men to a single Nachzehrer, level 3 or otherwise. They just walk into your spearwall until they die. Even half a dozen of the baby ones should be no trouble for an early company (anything post killing Hogarth)

If it's literally your first game and your first encounter then you probably aren't spear-walling like that. There's quite a few types of encounter in Battle Brothers that require a very specific strategy to deal with them (sometimes it's 'don't take this fight') and you have to have a bad time before you work out what you need to do.

e: particularly in the early game where letting someone get past the spearwall means someone's going down and a possible morale break cascade.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Had an insane run where I found three star melee hero farmers left and right. Too bad I decided to fight raiders too soon and lost half my company.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Level 3 chat, occasionally you can just eat poo poo from lucky hits to the head too. I had one of those fuckers bound forward and down a dude on the first turn, ignoring my spearwall. Game does occasionally tell you to just go gently caress yourself, at least early on.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Ouch. I'm really liking retired soldiers even though their total lack of fatigue hurts. It's really nice to have someone who can reliably hit things. What's a good endgame weapon for a bro with really good stats but only decent fatigue, if he's got plenty of defenses to roll a two hander? I'm thinking for now a sword though that might change with the DLC.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

xthetenth posted:

Ouch. I'm really liking retired soldiers even though their total lack of fatigue hurts. It's really nice to have someone who can reliably hit things. What's a good endgame weapon for a bro with really good stats but only decent fatigue, if he's got plenty of defenses to roll a two hander? I'm thinking for now a sword though that might change with the DLC.

Longaxe all the way.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Affi posted:

Longaxe all the way.

Just make the bros without good fatigue back-rankers?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Pretty much. Back rankers only need enough fatigue to swing once, after all.

As another option, I had one guy who had a heater shield and a noble sword, i'd just hit riposte and end his turn. You just need to play a bit more fatigue clever with them is all.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I love when I get a decently starred Historian or Minstrel so I have an excuse to keep them around for their unique events. Minstrels seem to have a lot of morale boosting events.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 12, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The +15% EXP gain on a Historian isn't a bad thing, either. If you somehow get a decent one.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
If you do want him upfront swords use less fatigue than other weapons.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah. He's got the best defenses in my lineup by far, so I'm willing to take the risk.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
A bro that has below par Fatigue but otherwise stats that allow him to use a two-handed weapon can use two-handed axes. You don't use those for their AoE attack, so they build up less Fatigue than greatswords or two-handed hammers.
A Retired Soldier probably wouldn't have enough HP for that, though.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
You don't need HP if you have enough defense and armour :hist101:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Aside from loading an earlier save, what do I do about ruins containing a necromancer+possessed fallen hero pair that barrels through my double spearwall as if it wasn't even there and kills at least one person per turn though shield wall or finding an all-archer bandit hideout covered entirely in half movement/ranged defense penalty swamp?

I'm getting darkest dungeon flashbacks where half the difficulty is trial and erroring through all the NO gently caress YOU YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG trap options.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Just ran into a ruin containing 7 fallen heroes. Pretty rough fight, but got two Greatswords out of it at least.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Asehujiko posted:

Aside from loading an earlier save, what do I do about ruins containing a necromancer+possessed fallen hero pair that barrels through my double spearwall as if it wasn't even there and kills at least one person per turn though shield wall or finding an all-archer bandit hideout covered entirely in half movement/ranged defense penalty swamp?

I'm getting darkest dungeon flashbacks where half the difficulty is trial and erroring through all the NO gently caress YOU YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG trap options.

Retreating is a legitimate option, even if you're in the middle of battle.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Nordick posted:

You don't need HP if you have enough defense and armour :hist101:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Where do you find historians? I've been looking for one, but like Minstrels they're proving hard to find.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

vyelkin posted:

Retreating is a legitimate option, even if you're in the middle of battle.

Yeah, basically, run.

I have a thing where I just save scum ruins where i can't see what's inside but it'll take me 6 turns of moving to get everyone out safely. Quicksave, "oh, that's like 25 gently caress you's arranged in a pentagram", hit retreat, quick load.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

dogstile posted:

Game does occasionally tell you to just go gently caress yourself, at least early on.

FTFY

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

marshmallow creep posted:

Where do you find historians? I've been looking for one, but like Minstrels they're proving hard to find.

I usually find them in cities and large settlements. They're pretty rare though, and their stats are not the best, so finding a decent one can be tricky.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

MORE DEFENSE :byodood:

Broken Cog posted:

I usually find them in cities and large settlements. They're pretty rare though, and their stats are not the best, so finding a decent one can be tricky.

Do Historians even have any cool events associated with them? I'd love to drag one along just so he could write the epic chronicles of my fabled company, and I'm sad that's apparently not a thing. :(

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nordick posted:

Do Historians even have any cool events associated with them? I'd love to drag one along just so he could write the epic chronicles of my fabled company, and I'm sad that's apparently not a thing. :(

I believe that can be one of their Retirement endings.

Also when you get the 'idiot shoots the sun' event, you can ask the Historian about it since he's a learned man. He talks about how it might actually be thousands of miles away, but really big, and how he knows some people who have been looking up at the night sky with glasses and think maybe the stars are other suns that are even further away. Then everyone has a good laugh at his ridiculous theory and morale improves.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Nordick posted:

IIRC, if you get the "buy map from stranger" event, a historian can decipher it and give you a location with a guaranteed unique.

Edit: Also, I *think* that if you have both a historian and a graverobber in the same group, you can get an event that gives you an unique item.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 12, 2018

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Broken Cog posted:

IIRC, if you get the "buy map from stranger" event, a historian can decipher it and give you a location with a guaranteed unique.

I got that event for this strange location called the black pillar. I took one look at the screen and start to laugh as not only is that place guaranteed to drop unique loot, there was no way I was even close to trying to deal with it with a company that hadn't even passed the 100 day mark.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Jesus Christ I need that DLC.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I just got four uniques from a single orc warlord camp.

An orc axe, two orc shields, and a medium armour.

Oh well, better luck next time.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I like how the dev diary pretty clearly states that "Sure they're called potions, but really they're actually just drugs."

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I pretty clearly see dog armour as an item.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Historians can also have an event where they can remove dumb from a brother.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nordick posted:

I like how the dev diary pretty clearly states that "Sure they're called potions, but really they're actually just drugs."

I like this low fantasy-ish setting where yes there are zombies and orcs etc. but not, like, wizards that you get. Just spears and luck.

Magic potion? Well, meth is pretty much a magic potion, sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Nordick posted:

MORE DEFENSE :byodood:
A geriatric goblin steps forward, his form hunched from decades spent in service of dark spirits, ululating in the the twisted tongue of his kind.
A black cloud of insects descends upon Eberhard the old soldier as the goblin he was just battling starts cackling, his beady eyes and crooked blade gleaming with murderous intent.
"Seriously, gently caress goblins." you hear the doomed sellsword sigh as the greenskin's weapon sinks into his heart.

quote:

It is a thing.
I don't know what the requirements are but there is an event where a Historian hands you a history of the company's exploits.

Another Historian event:

Fear the power of Davkul!