Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
give me the washington lad

e: that's herbert, not alex smith

e2: wrong school, dipshit

corn on the cop fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Oct 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Doltos posted:

3-13, sorry

Ladies and gentlemen, the contents of Pat Shurmur's resignation letter.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Eli is done and is going to look really bad as the season progresses.

Bringing this back from Sept. 6th

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/BrandonGowton/status/1050584982387924993?s=19

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Who was the sad Giants fan in the Montgomery Biscuits hat, reveal yourself coward.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Giants, more like shitants.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1050595014382735366

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Giants poopoo doodie team

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Can you imagine how good the bears would be if they still had him?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
https://streamable.com/vekkt

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Odell Beckham is fun to watch and wrecking the Giants locker room and aggravating its management. I like him.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Cash Monet posted:

Odell Beckham is fun to watch and wrecking the Giants locker room and aggravating its management. I like him.

Lol. This, but also unironically I hope he gets the help he needs

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I love NFC East Clownball.

Gruden is a mediocre coach.

Calling it now; Jay gets fired, becomes the OC for his brother, Washington Nepotism Train pulls into the station just in time to ruin another rookie QB.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I love Alshon

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

it sucks that dan snyder is probably going to live forever

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
My friend was working sideline EMS at the game and apparently a ton of Giants defenders were poo poo talking Eli throughout the game

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

But if he gets even crazier he might get to meet the president.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

ELO Musk posted:

Nice out motherfucker

An out? Jesus man calm your sperg please. Saying I was "legitimately unsure" about this game was a turn of phrase to illustrate how disappointing the Eagles have been so far this season, to the point where they could even lose a game to the Giants if they don't get it together. We've seen a team that isn't living up to its potential, can't convert third downs, can't convert in the red zone, can't get big plays and turnovers, etc. etc. etc. If the Giants could manage to win it would be because those Eagles came out.

Instead we got to see (for the first time) the world champion Eagles. They converted third downs much better (although still some problems), they converted very well in the red zone, they got some big turnovers and big plays down the field for the first time this season basically. It's good to see, the NFC needs more good teams and I wouldn't be surprised at all if the Eagles start rolling after this one. Just continuing to convert third downs should cause them to keep winning.

The Giants . . . yeesh. The opposite basically. What was it, an entire four quarters of no third down conversions or something between their last game and this one? What a mess. Sticking with Eli looks like a career-defining bad choice for Gettleman and no one is really happy to be on that team right now. Instead of being the explosive spark to put a good offense over the edge, Saquon is just a sideshow on a horrible team that can't win with him or without him.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
i disagree

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Play posted:

The Giants . . . yeesh. The opposite basically. What was it, an entire four quarters of no third down conversions or something between their last game and this one? What a mess. Sticking with Eli looks like a career-defining bad choice for Gettleman and no one is really happy to be on that team right now. Instead of being the explosive spark to put a good offense over the edge, Saquon is just a sideshow on a horrible team that can't win with him or without him.

IDK. The modern NFL offense is predicated on short/quick throws, then having your receivers run-after-catch for a couple additional yards. It's probably the most boring offensive style to watch, but remains essentially unstoppable when executed properly (the NFL rules are that pass friendly).

Which leads to the Giant's real problem....their skilled players just are not breaking that first tackle attempt, so all those 2 yard passes end up as 2 yard passes. Or put more simply, Odell and crew aren't winning their 1-on-1 match ups often enough.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
A crucial element of the short passing game though is to set up the deep passes. The Giants can't do that so the opposing defense just plays zone with two deep/intermediate and are ready for almost any short throw. Plenty of guys around facing the offense to come up and make the tackle short of the sticks too. When you make yourself predictable like that and the defense doesn't have to honor certain throws it can really screw up an offense. They can play zone with basically anywhere Eli can hit in front of them (as well as playing the run) and Eli hasn't been able to make them pay for that. Defenses will keep doing this until it stops working.

On the plus side, the Giants defense is definitely still good, maybe better than last year even and it pissed me off when the announcers were bagging on them last night. They're not the ones that lost that game.

Put Barkley in at QB for 50%+ of snaps and run wildcat/option plays imo. At least it would be fun to watch

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Do you know the guy?

And yay, World Champ Eagles, there you guys are!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I’m unironically off the Eli train.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Giants will get a top pick and take a QB. Probably the Oregon QB named Herbert, which are all qualities that point to massive success.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

romanowski posted:

it sucks that dan snyder is probably going to live forever

what's the opposite of inshallah?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/JimmyKempski/status/1050607715624468480

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

indigi posted:

I watched the Carolina game, and it's arguable the best Giants pass wasn't even thrown by Eli. he did look good, though - better than he has in over two seasons, but anyone can have a good day. ask Matt Flynn about that. two plus years of evidence points to him being done, though. I'm just glad he'll be around at least one more season

The OL has been utter dogshit though, just as it was last night.

I think Eli would be doing well on say, the Jaguars, and we're probably not that long from seeing literally that. QB won't make jack poo poo of a difference for the Giants though if they can't protect him. So gently caress no I don't want a QB if he's not a sure thing.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

This didnt age well

Huh? They looked good last week, when the OL played well. They didn't last night and so they looked like crap. Did you miss the part about it being predicated on the OL playing well?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

quote:

Donovan McNabb has as many wins (4-0) in the last 21 Eagles/Giants games as Eli Manning (4-17).

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
That’s such a wonderful stat.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

When you don't cherry pick and just go right to the most essential and important numbers, informative things like this can happen.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
As an Eagles fan it fuels me to see hear both Eli and the Giants organization double down on him continuing to be their guy for this season and the foreseeable future.

Big Jay Cutler
Sep 2, 2011

IT'S ME

Play posted:

A crucial element of the short passing game though is to set up the deep passes. The Giants can't do that so the opposing defense just plays zone with two deep/intermediate and are ready for almost any short throw. Plenty of guys around facing the offense to come up and make the tackle short of the sticks too. When you make yourself predictable like that and the defense doesn't have to honor certain throws it can really screw up an offense. They can play zone with basically anywhere Eli can hit in front of them (as well as playing the run) and Eli hasn't been able to make them pay for that. Defenses will keep doing this until it stops working.

On the plus side, the Giants defense is definitely still good, maybe better than last year even and it pissed me off when the announcers were bagging on them last night. They're not the ones that lost that game.

Put Barkley in at QB for 50%+ of snaps and run wildcat/option plays imo. At least it would be fun to watch

It seems like the Panthers are capable of doing well with short passes and runs, but their quarterback is Cam Newton

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Yodzilla posted:

As an Eagles fan it fuels me to see hear both Eli and the Giants organization double down on him continuing to be their guy for this season and the foreseeable future.

It makes sense either way, neither of their backups are probably talented enough to make it as a starter, so one of two things happens: Eli turns it around enough to justify keeping him as starter on the last year of his contract next year, or he keeps making GBS threads the bed and losing games giving the Giants a high enough pick to potentially get the best available QB in the draft and finally making it clear to their fanbase at large he's donezo so there won't be another revolt when he's cut.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/SNFonNBC/status/1051129589798461441

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Gruden is bad. Yes, all of them.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
The NFL Network debuted the Dawkins Life in the NFL mini-doc last night and showed Cunningham and Vick after. Gruden looked like a high school kid when the Eagles first brought him on.

I had no idea how bonkers Cunningham’s career and celebrity status was. Also it’s kinda creepy that he baptizes people in the hot tub where his son drowned.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Please check my post history in this thread.
/

Weird thing about the Giants is that they arguably have the best pedigree in the division on offense at the big three: QB, RB, WR and for some reason can't do poo poo. Barkley and Beckham are top tier and Eli has been good enough to win two Super Bowls but somehow they're total poo poo.

Barkley and Beckham are better than anything the Eagles (or anyone else in the division) can run out there at those positions but you guys can't do a loving thing in a weak division. The rest of the league would kill to have Saquon and Odell in their money slots and teams like Jax, Denver and Miami could even use Eli, although he looks like he's done.

No team in the league can do anything without an O-Line though and Manning flat out look scared.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Shinjobi posted:

Gruden is bad. Yes, all of them.

Deuce seems good.

Strength and conditioning coach and World Champion power lifter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Deuce seems good.

Strength and conditioning coach and World Champion power lifter.

I wish steroids weren't illegal/taboo so people like him could share what gear they're on.