Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

New Leaf posted:

Can someone remind me who that guy was in the last episode of Magnus? I can't seem to place him.

Didn't he pop up in that episode when Jonathan gets kidnapped by the Unknowing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

BrainParasite posted:

He was mentioned during Michael's statement to Jon as having captained the ship that sailed Gertrude and Michael Shelley to the Spiral's ritual site.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
New series of The White Vault has started.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Droyer posted:

Kind of similar: Are there any good classic mystery/whodunit podcasts? I listened to Deadly Manners but I didn't much care for it.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Actually I want to second this request.

You're looking for "The Great Detectives of Old Time Radio" - 2000+ episodes, 5 days a week, old time radio mysteries.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
This was a very good season of Archive 81, and it had one of the best episodes a podcast like this has ever had

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Has anyone heard of Lake Clarity? I don't know if I found it in here or the apps "similar to" section. It's not the worst I've listened to, I'mm almost done with season one of it. The show is about five teenagers who go to an abandoned camp the summer before leaving for college and of course bad stuff is happening.

It's pretty rough but there's no talk of a patreon and they aren't trying to sell me things so I get the feeling it's some people with free time and a mic so I'm a little lenient on that.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Len posted:

Has anyone heard of Lake Clarity? I don't know if I found it in here or the apps "similar to" section. It's not the worst I've listened to, I'mm almost done with season one of it. The show is about five teenagers who go to an abandoned camp the summer before leaving for college and of course bad stuff is happening.

It's pretty rough but there's no talk of a patreon and they aren't trying to sell me things so I get the feeling it's some people with free time and a mic so I'm a little lenient on that.

I listened to it and it’s not terrible, but it’s clearly a bunch of kids making a passion project. I found the acting a little off putting and the plotting a little dull, but it’s not the worst podcast I ever listened to.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Kerbtree posted:

New series of The White Vault has started.

The beginning of the first episode was kind of weird. I thought I'd missed an episode because the framing narration stated what was about to happen in a way that made it seem like it'd already been discussed in a previous episode.

Pretty solid otherwise, and even the No Sleep dude was less obnoxious than usual.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Archive 81 is my favorite piece of fiction, and when people ask me about my favorite movie or other thing im going to obnoxiously talk about archive 81.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
In what ways did Archive 81 improve? I only made it through the first few episodes of season 2. The weird surgeon guy was obnoxious.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Montalvo posted:

In what ways did Archive 81 improve? I only made it through the first few episodes of season 2. The weird surgeon guy was obnoxious.

Season 3 is probably the best podcasting out there right now. They decided to focus on a completely different story and it's been fantastic.

e: The principal actors are better than they were in previous seasons, it's far more creative and original than the original "Black Tapes / Magnus Archives but in a slightly different setting", the writing is more human and has more emotion, like pick an axis on which you think it failed before and now it's succeeding.

Arrhythmia fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 6, 2018

immolationsex
Sep 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I ENJOY RUINING STEAK LIKE A GODDAMN BARBARIAN

Arrhythmia posted:

Season 3 is probably the best podcasting out there right now. They decided to focus on a completely different story and it's been fantastic.

e: The principal actors are better than they were in previous seasons, it's far more creative and original than the original "Black Tapes / Magnus Archives but in a slightly different setting", the writing is more human and has more emotion, like pick an axis on which you think it failed before and now it's succeeding.
Does it have wacky dialogue between the protagonist and a feral mouse?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

immolationsex posted:

Does it have wacky dialogue between the protagonist and a feral mouse?

No.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Archive 81s first season was a pretty standard found footage horror serial. It was okay and not bad but I don't remember anything from it.

Season 2 they decided to go a completely different route and parts of it worked and parts of it did. The idea of listening to these tapes and being able to figure out the landscape of this other place where time, words, and concepts all seem to lack meaning was a really good one although the actual parts that were listened to were really bad imo.

Season 3 is a coming of age tale between a brother and sister as they try to connect to their deceased father by continuing his research into the unknown.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

BrainParasite posted:

I'm re-listening to the series with my wife and he shows up in episode 100 looking for Elias.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Anyone listening to the Leap Year Society? They mention Minnow Beats Whale but not sure how affiliated they are. Has all of the awkward conversation style that is common in Tanis, etc.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

calandryll posted:

Anyone listening to the Leap Year Society? They mention Minnow Beats Whale but not sure how affiliated they are. Has all of the awkward conversation style that is common in Tanis, etc.

It’s by the same production team, but it’s tied into a massive multimedia project called Unknown9. I’m not sure how I feel about the podcast on its own, because I’m too deep into the ARG to not listen to it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Limetown posted an update on Facebook. Season 2 starts in less than a month, a prequel novel is out around the same time, and work is continuing on the tv show.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Does this mean I can skip season 2 of Archive 81 and go right to 3? I have a 4 hour train ride this afternoon and this would work really well.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Montalvo posted:

Does this mean I can skip season 2 of Archive 81 and go right to 3? I have a 4 hour train ride this afternoon and this would work really well.

More or less. All you need to know from season 2 is that Dan turned into a horrible cyborg boombox man, Mark also turned into something horrible, and that Dan got trapped in the eldritch world, all of which happens in like the first episode. You probably don't want to skip the mini-series they put out between season 2 and 3, "Wingbeats", but you don't need to listen to it right away.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Meinberg posted:

It’s by the same production team, but it’s tied into a massive multimedia project called Unknown9. I’m not sure how I feel about the podcast on its own, because I’m too deep into the ARG to not listen to it.

Yeah I looked the website and wasn't sure how closely tied they were. The first 3 episodes were kinda meh and the whole stilted talk they have is just annoying. I'll just chalk that up to not mixing it decently, same thing I found annoying with Tanis and The Black Tapes.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Does the majority of episodes of Thrilling Adventure Hour disappearing from their feed have something to do with the upcoming revival?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Brocktoon posted:

Does the majority of episodes of Thrilling Adventure Hour disappearing from their feed have something to do with the upcoming revival?
Yeah, they're re-releasing them on their Patreon.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

That's pretty lovely.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Len posted:

That's pretty lovely.

Guess who still uses an old fashioned desktop rss reader and has all of them on his SanDisk clip? :toot:

Trying to give TAH money in a meaningful way prior to this was a huge pain in the rear end, though. Don't know if they didn't get support from nerdist or if there were other issues, but impress you wanted to buy a dozen copies of their DVD, they were hard to support.

E: the TAH shop is still awful. Good luck, Bens.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Montalvo posted:

I would say go straight to season 3. Your dual protagonists don't know anything about what happened in previous seasons either, so you can discover it along with them

It's funny how it's still called Archive 81 when the titular archive hasn't been relevant since season 1. But S3 was definitely the best yet. I did find the finale a bit predictable. It seemed so obvious that the dad was going to come back in some way and I figured he'd be evil. And when he bluntly said "Christine is dead," I figured she wasn't really, or else they would have played it up more. I do love that she decided to go back to the other world to stay. Also, I can't understand why they were so coy about what the ritual they were building up to would supposedly do. Every time it came up in previous episodes, it was bleeped out with static. But Nicholas believed the ritual was about obtaining knowledge of the world, so they could have just told us that from the beginning and then we could be surprised with him when it turns out it was something else. Still, I much prefer an ending I can guess than one that surprises me but makes no sense.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Jurgan posted:

I would say go straight to season 3. Your dual protagonists don't know anything about what happened in previous seasons either, so you can discover it along with them

It's funny how it's still called Archive 81 when the titular archive hasn't been relevant since season 1. But S3 was definitely the best yet. I did find the finale a bit predictable. It seemed so obvious that the dad was going to come back in some way and I figured he'd be evil. And when he bluntly said "Christine is dead," I figured she wasn't really, or else they would have played it up more. I do love that she decided to go back to the other world to stay. Also, I can't understand why they were so coy about what the ritual they were building up to would supposedly do. Every time it came up in previous episodes, it was bleeped out with static. But Nicholas believed the ritual was about obtaining knowledge of the world, so they could have just told us that from the beginning and then we could be surprised with him when it turns out it was something else. Still, I much prefer an ending I can guess than one that surprises me but makes no sense.

:hmmyes:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ugh, I'm mad at myself for not downloading them when I had the chance. Guess I can just cross that off my list.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I did my best to enjoy S3 of Archive 81 but it was a bit too much zany kooky random weirdness for me. The Popeye's bit just pushed it a little too far.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I would listen to an entire season about Lou the pirate

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Len posted:

That's pretty lovely.
It made me really glad I downloaded all of the Beyond Belief episodes a while back.

Len posted:

I would listen to an entire season about Lou the pirate
I'm hoping that's season 4!

Is anyone else going to relisten to Limetown S1 before S2 starts? It's only about 3 hours.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

So the third season of Archive 81 is a gem. I really dig the weird magic genre, and the characters were the best they've written. Did anyone in those last moments get worried that the season was going to end with Nicholas putting Static Man into Dan's body.

The Magnus Archive continues to be solid this season. I don't enjoy the more serialized story arcs as much as the individual, loosely linked creepiness of the early seasons, but I think it might be more sustainable story telling for them.

Kind of disappointed both ended before October, will probably check out Eskew for my creepy podcast needs for the season.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

So the third season of Archive 81 is a gem. I really dig the weird magic genre, and the characters were the best they've written. Did anyone in those last moments get worried that the season was going to end with Nicholas putting Static Man into Dan's body.

The Magnus Archive continues to be solid this season. I don't enjoy the more serialized story arcs as much as the individual, loosely linked creepiness of the early seasons, but I think it might be more sustainable story telling for them.

Kind of disappointed both ended before October, will probably check out Eskew for my creepy podcast needs for the season.

Nicholas got pretty dark towards the end, and I was worried he was going to enslave Dan instead of sending him home.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

The Wolf 359 people have a new show coming out next week. They started writing it this morning. This will probably not end well, but it’ll be fun either way, I’m sure: https://fearofpublicshame.com

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Has Duggan Hill been mentioned previously? It's basically a long audio X-Files episode. Trailer for the second season just went up.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Thanks to this thread's recommendation, I'm bingeing Eskew (and will start in on Archive 81 after that) to fill in the blank left by Magnus' hiatus, and I'm really digging it - especially Episode 5, which did a very good job (dispelled by Episode 6) of making me think that maybe this is all in David's head after all. My morning drive got me about halfway through Product and it's goddamn hilarious, while still maintaining the darkness of previous episodes. Great writing, great delivery.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Anyone else try the new podcast from Night Vale Presents, Adventures in New America?

I have to say I like the writing on it but a lot of the acting is so bad that it takes me out of the story entirely.

EDIT: \/ yes my hope is that they settle into their roles as it goes. Simon in particular comes across as grating because the VA is heavily emphasizing her accent to the point it sounds artificial.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 12, 2018

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Anyone else try the new podcast from Night Vale Presents, Adventures in New America?

I have to say I like the writing on it but a lot of the acting is so bad that it takes me out of the story entirely.

I’m badly backlogged on podcasts, but I’ll definitely give it a shot. It’s hard to tell how long to stick with something- It Makes a Sound seemed like trash at first, but episode five and on were so good that they retroactively justified what came before.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Did The Magnus Archives do something with The Bone Turner's Tale? It's showed back up as unlistened to in my podcatcher, and I can't seem to download it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Arrhythmia posted:

Did The Magnus Archives do something with The Bone Turner's Tale? It's showed back up as unlistened to in my podcatcher, and I can't seem to download it.

It's not working here either. Seems like the episode might have been deleted for some reason?

EDIT: it's been mentioned on reddit. They think the file got corrupted at their host.