Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

We have a big thing of Greenies but our cats run for Meow Mix Ocean Explosion. They're to the point where they think anything resembling the sound of that packet opening makes them run to us and they'll delicately take the treats right from our hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So Princess got fixed today, and I'm wondering what "normal" behavior for a female cat who just had that surgery is like; she's doing better now, but was pretty unhappy earlier, and I want to know if there's anything in particular I should look out for that isn't mentioned in all the "normal" lists and stuff. I have all that info too, of course; I'm just worried about her.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Probably better to let us know what's happening than list all possible bad signs. When it comes down to it, call the vet and ask a nurse/tech there.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Roland Jones posted:

So Princess got fixed today, and I'm wondering what "normal" behavior for a female cat who just had that surgery is like; she's doing better now, but was pretty unhappy earlier, and I want to know if there's anything in particular I should look out for that isn't mentioned in all the "normal" lists and stuff. I have all that info too, of course; I'm just worried about her.

I assume the 'normal' list covers what's really important.. The stuff you want to watch out for after your kitty gets neutered/spayed is, for the *most part* the same common-sense types of things you need to keep in mind following any kind of surgical procedure. Which is to say, the most important things have to do with just keeping a close eye on any signs of infection, making sure that your cat isn't actively re-opening the wound and/or tearing her sutures out from too much activity that she doesn't show any signs of being seriously in pain, that she gets right back in the swing of things vis a vis eating and pooping... that's probably the most important thing to keep a close eye on. But hopefully you know all this! I'm thinking your Princess oughta be just fine.

Hey guys, while we're on the topic of spaying or neutering, I actually have a question. So, my roommate has a boyfriend about 5 years their junior (21 years old) who recently became my new roommate, and I recently had a cursory discussion with him about spaying/neutering of pets - he said he "couldn't bear to deprive his cat of his 'balls'" out of some sense of masculine horror, I think. I attempted to counter with a lot of actual facts and statistics and arguments concerning responsibilities we have.

I really was not getting through to him, as he upgraded his argument to talking about how he simply couldn't "mutilate" any living thing he loved or cared for, which I know is an appeal to emotion and a bullshit argument but I was having difficulty countering it in a manner that has equal emotional resonance. Thinking about it *right now*, I'm sort of realizing that the proper rebuttal is to bring up the thousands of animals that get euthanized every day across the country because people like him get sanctimonious about neutering their dog while not having a clue about, say, the widespread insane cruelty and waste of the American meat industry.

Anyway, I knew his opinion was utterly bullshit and at the root of extremely wrongheaded thinking, I just drew a blank at the time on how best to counter it and *actually* change his mind, rather than getting into a bitch-fest. I'd appreciate input.

pluckyginger
Sep 16, 2012
Welp, bringing my Senior Citizen back in to see the vet again. She has been doing great overall - eating well, drinking, playing, litterbox... but she has lost a TON of fur and her two lowest breasts are insanely swollen. No discharge or any redness so that is probably a good sign. Trying to stay positive.

Cat tax, here is Ada doing her morning blep (you can kinda see her breasts spilling out :( )

And bonus here is my dumbass kitten Cyrus helping me get some work done:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

You'd have to deconstruct his issues about masculinity first, and good luck with that.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
We just had a wild ride with Phyrexian Obliterator over the past few weeks. She was vomiting frequently and had pretty persistent diarrhea. We figured she has insurance, let's go get her checked out.

We did some blood work and there were elevated leukocytes. That's not good, so we did an ultrasound, which revealed some pretty intense thickening of the intestinal walls in places.

At that point, it's potentially lymphoma, which would be devastating news. But it could also just be IBD or something relatively "minor" like that (not great, but not a death sentence). The only real way to diagnose: She needed surgery to do biopsies.

We had a new vet for all of this. The vet we loved who handled Colonel Tigh's heart problems so well unfortunately moved away, so we got the new intern now. Unfortunately this woman is just the worst in terms of bedside manner and communication. She delivered all of this news in a way that said, "Oh it turns out your cat isn't just dying, they died last week and we didn't notice." She really pissed me off by assuming we had no intention of treating Rexie, literally saying something like, "If you just know 'we're not treating this any more than some prednisone' then...."

I get it on a certain level, I was a tech and it broke my heart how many owners would see that price tag ticking up and have no interest in treating something like cancer, but that's SUCH a rude and judgmental way to present options. She needs some serious work on her interactions with owners.

Anyway, we were really nervous about surgery since we've seen too many horror stories where sphynxes just don't wake up from anesthesia, but we decided it was better to know for sure. We were told if we assume it's IBD and treat with steroids and anti-inflammatories, if it's lymphoma then that could limit our options with chemo down the line. We obviously don't want to assume it's lymphoma and start chemo. We couldn't live with ourselves if we assumed it was IBD and we lost our baby to cancer.

She went in last week for surgery. Here was another miscommunication: We were told it had to be a big abdominal incision. Then when dropping her off we're told, "Oh no we can do it laparoscopically! Just 3 tiny cuts!" GREAT! Reduced healing time, less time under the knife, all good things.

We got the call later that she woke up and had sailed through the procedure without any problems. That's when we were told all about her big incision. "Wait, we were told it's laparoscopic this morning...." The vet, rather than apologizing for the crossed wires and admitting the mistake, doubles down and proceeds to explain what "endoscopy" means, and how she had told us it wasn't possible to do it endoscopically (since you can't get full-thickness samples). "We're well aware what that word means and that it's distinct from LAPAROSCOPY, which you said this morning. We were even so surprised you said that that we asked for clarification about how that changed her prognosis for recovery...." Once again, I get it, but there are more tactful ways to correct a miscommunication than to insult your client's intelligence and essentially blame us for being too stupid to understand the big words you use.

Also not communicated: She had to stay overnight at minimum. We were given explicit instructions not once but twice by two different people regarding picking her up in the evening, with one even clarifying, "If 5pm is rough for you guys because of work, we're open until 8, not a problem if we have to keep her a little longer." Once again this was pointed out, and we were blamed for just not listening properly. You see, it's right here on the estimate you signed......which just says "Hospitalization -- 4.00 -- [price]". No units, no one ever pointed that out to us in explaining the estimate, and we assumed it was in "hours" for her post-op care (which was about right if she'd wrap up around 1 and pickup is at 5).

Again, this is not an issue, but telling us blatantly wrong things that change our expectations and then blaming us and implying we're too stupid to understandis another. Needless to say, after her recheck next week, we are making a request to not see this doctor again.

So she had to stay hospitalized until she ate some food to show her digestion was kicking in again. She wouldn't eat at all, even when we visited in the evening and brought treats. Two more micommunications: 1) We were initially told no visitors the day of surgery as it would stress her out (:wtc:), and 2) They'd offer food every few hours until she ate.....then we were called at like 9am and told they'd be offering her food for the first time since our evening visit at noon. She had relented on #1 and we visited at 7pm....conveniently when she left for the day. This happened several times from then on....the next day we were told we could come visit at noon again, i.e. when she left for lunch. She was clearly avoiding us because we were pretty pissed off at her.

Here's some photos we took when we visited. Look how "stressed out" this cat is by having her beloved humans come see her....

But we went again at noon the next day, this time with her favorite baby food.....

https://i.imgur.com/M77oBsn.mp4

We left her spoon and jars with the techs so they could try again later, and she scarfed it down again, so she was cleared to come home!

Since she had to switch to a special hydrolyzed protein diet, we bought two special microchip feeders. They seal the food away, and only open if it detects a registered microchip; one's registered to just Rexie, containing her special (expensive) diet, and the other is registered to everyone but Rexie, containing the regular food.

As soon as she got home, she went right into the feeder and gobbled some dry food. She just didn't want to eat that stuff at the vet, she was totally fine at home. She used the litter fine and drank some water. For a few days we kept her confined at night in a bathroom; we weren't really worried about her so much as the kitten, Bishop, who doesn't understand why his best friend can't play with him right now. During the day she just got some much needed R&R in her heated beds with us....

Cut to a week later....

We have great insurance for her, and they've already processed both claims and approved reimbursement, which is SUCH a relief. We'd do anything we had to for this cat, but it makes it easier when we don't have to worry about the financial side of things.

We got the call with the biopsy results on Wednesday....NOT LYMPHOMA!!!!!!!! There's still some pretty serious inflammation throughout her digestive tract, so it's not great...but it's not cancer. This is probably IBD and/or a pretty severe food allergy or autoimmune response.

We need to switch her to the hydrolyzed protein, since it may be trouble breaking down proteins that's causing everything. She goes back for a recheck Wednesday, at which time we'll start some pretty aggressive steroids to get that inflammation asap....I still don't quite understand the link, I need to do more reading, but our doomsayer vet repeats constantly that if we let this go for a day it will turn into cancer overnight (at least the way she presents it with her phenomenal people skills). Either way, we need to get that down immediately, and I'm sure that'll help her feel better anyway. She'll get some blood tests to make sure she's getting vitamins she needs, this inflammation can interfere with good absorption, but if it's low we just supplement with injections for a little while until it's under control.

That's about it. We didn't want to share with too many people until we had answers. It's not a clean bill of health, but it's about the best outcome we could have hoped for: she's not in immediate danger, the prognosis is excellent if we manage things properly, and she's recovering very well from the surgery. Now that we got the good news, I thought I'd share this tale in here.

There will still be plenty of Rexie pictures in the cute thread for a long time to come :)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Y'all have a very cute gremlin, and I'm glad they are going to be okay. :3:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

So my girlfriend's older but still very active cat has been drinking a ton of water (approx 8-10 oz) and peeing more. Hasn't shown many symptoms but today her Pretty Litter was really full of pee and turned blue green which says kidney issues. Do we take her into an emergency place or wait til Monday?

The cat is still active and showing no outward signs of discomfort.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
I'm glad she's OK

And wow that vet experience... I would have gone to another vet right after that surgery and not looked back.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

So my girlfriend's older but still very active cat has been drinking a ton of water (approx 8-10 oz) and peeing more. Hasn't shown many symptoms but today her Pretty Litter was really full of pee and turned blue green which says kidney issues. Do we take her into an emergency place or wait til Monday?

The cat is still active and showing no outward signs of discomfort.

Tough to say. I read the pretty litter website and it says if you notice a change in color, monitor over 24-48 hours. Does she have a history of urinary issues like blockages or infections? Your cat could be dehydrated or ate a lot of dry food without you knowing. Unless they are showing symptoms like not eating or nausea/vomiting/diarrhea/hiding/lethargy you can probably wait til Monday. I try to give my cats at least 24 hours if they are acting a little unusual and not actively getting worse. My cats also like to show the first signs of getting sick on Friday and Saturday too. :bang:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

She's been puking up her first meal in the morning. She's a scarf and barfer.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

And wow that vet experience... I would have gone to another vet right after that surgery and not looked back.

We are never seeing that vet again. But it's a big practice and we trust the owner and his kids (all vets), so we're going to insist on seeing them from now on. The last intern we saw was so amazing, this time we weren't so lucky, she might be good at the medicine part but really needs to work on professionalism and how to communicate.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

kaworu posted:

Anyway, I knew his opinion was utterly bullshit and at the root of extremely wrongheaded thinking, I just drew a blank at the time on how best to counter it and *actually* change his mind, rather than getting into a bitch-fest. I'd appreciate input.

It might be more a girl-cat issue, but cats in heat are pretty miserable. The procedure can improve the overall health and behavior of the cat and they don't need to hump things and spray or bleed everywhere to be happy and healthy. Sounds like the dweeb has never owned an animal and has some strange opinions. He's taking about it like it's declawing or neutering a human. Ask him if he would do the same for a girl cat.

Hopefully you can leverage some laws or rental agreements to force the issue if facts don't penetrate the self righteousness.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 13, 2018

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

BaronVonVaderham posted:

We are never seeing that vet again. But it's a big practice and we trust the owner and his kids (all vets), so we're going to insist on seeing them from now on. The last intern we saw was so amazing, this time we weren't so lucky, she might be good at the medicine part but really needs to work on professionalism and how to communicate.

Hey, grats on the good news. I've run into the same issue with some vets who refuse to deal with scared patients. It's hard to find the one who's right for you and your companion. No one's going to love them (or your children or yourself) the way you do and it's hard to reconcile that in the face of mechanical and statistical approaches to healthcare.

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan
My cats' lips swoled up probably because of this new diet and they look really hurt, well OK mostly Griffin because he was born with giardia instead of an immune system, but Freya's is hurt too.

They are young and were prescribed a urinary diet because of crystals on their urinalyses (Griffin got a UTI and I took Freya in after to get checked, they both have the same crystal formations) maybe due to their all-kibble diet, so I kinda wonder if just any (grain-free and not stuffed with cheez whiz and green beans like all that weird grocery store poo poo) canned food would do the job of diluting their urine well enough to prevent the crystals. Ness ate canned food his whole life and he pissed like a god up until the day the toilet repairmen stole him to study his smooth clear piss tubes, so I wonder if " all the corn flour and sewer water in the prescription food is clinically really necessary for your cat" is vet bullshit.

Well I emailed my vet anyway and hopefully she won't send me a $140 invoice for the privilege, why is my non profit humane society vet clinic so expensive, oh well I could probably stand to make fewer frivolous nordstrom rack purchases

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Follow-up on Princess: She's doing great, much better than she seemed when I posted before, and has been doing pretty well since later in the day yesterday really. Sorry about the lack of detail there; I was on my phone so typing a lot would have taken a while, and I was worried, so... Yeah.

Basically, when I posted, she was shuddering or shivering pretty often, and it, plus one or two other things, had me really, really worried she wasn't doing well or something. Some Googling after I posted led to me discovering that that's apparently not a rare thing, though, and that besides possibly being in pain, a very likely cause was simply that she was cold due to the anesthetic's side-effects, and taking care to warm her up caused the shivering to stop.

Besides that, the only issue I'm having, besides the occasional difficulties in trying to manage her, Salem, and Molly (new puppy my mom got a couple weeks ago) simultaneously when for obvious reasons they can't all be in the same room and stuff, is her not being a huge fan of the cone. She's stopped trying to get it off, but she doesn't eat or drink a lot (or at all?) while it's on it seems, and she definitely prefers to have it off. I take it off her whenever I can just stay with her for a while and make sure she doesn't start licking, but since she does try to lick her stitches when it's off sometimes it has to go back on if I'm going to be leaving her alone at all. At least it hasn't been too hard to get it on or off, one time excepted.

Otherwise, though, she seems to be doing fine. Wish I didn't have to keep her separated from Salem, though.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 13, 2018

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Automatonic Water posted:

My cats' lips swoled up probably because of this new diet and they look really hurt, well OK mostly Griffin because he was born with giardia instead of an immune system, but Freya's is hurt too.

They are young and were prescribed a urinary diet because of crystals on their urinalyses (Griffin got a UTI and I took Freya in after to get checked, they both have the same crystal formations) maybe due to their all-kibble diet, so I kinda wonder if just any (grain-free and not stuffed with cheez whiz and green beans like all that weird grocery store poo poo) canned food would do the job of diluting their urine well enough to prevent the crystals. Ness ate canned food his whole life and he pissed like a god up until the day the toilet repairmen stole him to study his smooth clear piss tubes, so I wonder if " all the corn flour and sewer water in the prescription food is clinically really necessary for your cat" is vet bullshit.

Well I emailed my vet anyway and hopefully she won't send me a $140 invoice for the privilege, why is my non profit humane society vet clinic so expensive, oh well I could probably stand to make fewer frivolous nordstrom rack purchases

My cat had a blockage and was on Urinary SO wet food for about 4 years and then started having intestinal issues that caused pretty bad nausea and vomiting. We switched him to a higher protein no soy/wheat/corn wet food and he’s done pretty well on that for about 7 months. We also add about 10 mL of water to each portion of his wet food to make sure he drinks enough. He pees plenty and hardly ever drinks from his water bowl.

Being on an exclusive wet food can be bad for cats teeth, so we give him a few dry treats everyday as well as lickable enzymatic toothpaste.

I don’t know if that will be the best solution for your cats. Our cat was probably eating too much dry food and not drinking enough water when he got the blockage.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Roland Jones posted:

Besides that, the only issue I'm having, besides the occasional difficulties in trying to manage her, Salem, and Molly (new puppy my mom got a couple weeks ago) simultaneously when for obvious reasons they can't all be in the same room and stuff, is her not being a huge fan of the cone. She's stopped trying to get it off, but she doesn't eat or drink a lot (or at all?) while it's on it seems, and she definitely prefers to have it off. I take it off her whenever I can just stay with her for a while and make sure she doesn't start licking, but since she does try to lick her stitches when it's off sometimes it has to go back on if I'm going to be leaving her alone at all. At least it hasn't been too hard to get it on or off, one time excepted.

I haven't tried this myself, but I've heard that some people will use little shirts/sweaters to cover stitches on cats that can't deal with the cone. You might try that? A tiny dog sweater or baby shirt or something, or possibly a sock with head/arm holes cut out if she's small enough.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

She's been puking up her first meal in the morning. She's a scarf and barfer.

I think if she’s overall happy, eating, and active it’s probably ok to wait. If she is scarfing and barging everyday it could make her a little dehydrated. You could try some treat balls or wet food bowls that decrease the rate at which she can eat the food but sometimes that won’t work if the cat is super motivated to eat fast. I’d be worried if the cat was drinking a lot and not peeing or had a history of kidney/urinary problems. Just keep an eye on her and you can probably call vet on Monday if you are still worried.

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan

slave to my cravings posted:

My cat had a blockage and was on Urinary SO wet food for about 4 years and then started having intestinal issues that caused pretty bad nausea and vomiting. We switched him to a higher protein no soy/wheat/corn wet food and he’s done pretty well on that for about 7 months. We also add about 10 mL of water to each portion of his wet food to make sure he drinks enough. He pees plenty and hardly ever drinks from his water bowl.

Being on an exclusive wet food can be bad for cats teeth, so we give him a few dry treats everyday as well as lickable enzymatic toothpaste.

I don’t know if that will be the best solution for your cats. Our cat was probably eating too much dry food and not drinking enough water when he got the blockage.

I appreciate the personal experience, I know my cats pretty well and they have never been actually blocked and their kidney functions are good, so my thought is obviously that eating kibble all the time and never wanting to drink out of their own stupid water bowl is the main problem, but the vet was like "NO all my patients DIE without SPECIAL FOOD" so I was like ok thats fine i will buy the food,

but like, if they are gonna get sores all over their face and become horrible lepers with incredibly smooth piss tubes, i will just switch them to the wet version of their old grain-free bio-appropriate raw keto paleo natural wild diet and perhaps blend w water for non-leper faces and moderately smooth tubes

They love catnip flavored Greenies so their teeth will be alright I think. The toothpaste stuff sounds cool and I wonder if I can find it at the local weird pet bakery/food/supply shop

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

I buy poultry flavored CET toothpaste from chewy.com but i think you can get it from any pet store or amazon as well.

It might be worth it to keep them on the urinary wet food for a while or maybe do a half and half with something else (usually best for their gut to switch slowly for any type of food). You could also try wiping their mouths with a damp cloth after eating to remove food gunk. My cat occasionally gets acne on his chin from his wet food and I think it’s because he can’t clean off the food very well.

Drinking enough water is probably the most important thing though for preventing UTIs. You’ll have to figure out how much extra water they will tolerate in their wet food without turning their nose up at it.

Also be aware of the signs of a blockage as it can turn deadly quickly. My cat was straining around the litter box, pacing, trying to pee, going in and out of the box, and just generally not being himself. We got him to the vet within a few hours and they surgically unblocked and luckily there seemed to be no lasting damage.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Probably best to just leave the cone on, as much as it might bother you, unless they're not eating. Switching it on and off probably feels like a good thing as an owner, but if they don't get reminded of how uniquely annoying it is after being regularly freed, they might tolerate it better. The sweater idea was an awesome one, I wish I'd thought of that.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My girlfriend is moving in with me, which means her cat is eventually as well. Her six year old girl is excited about our cats "getting married". We're bringing her cat to the vet tomorrow for a routine checkup and rabies shot, and were debating on stopping off with the carrier at my place so the cats can sniff each other. Her cat is ~10, mine is 5.5. My cat really wants a friend, but we're not sure her cat has even seen another cat before. We've been doing the thing where we rub their scent on a piece of clothing and let them smell it, but is the plan to bring her over after the vet a good idea? I think it might not be since she'd already be a bit stressed out from the vet. I'm nervous about introducing them in general.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Sounds like my situation. Sharing smells helps, feliway helps, keeping them in separate rooms and switching for a while helps, feeding and playing together helps. Keep it up as long as possible then just watch for blood and expect some personality changes.

Mine don't kitten pile, but they play together and chase a bit. My older cat still probably wishes she was alone, but she gets into the play sometimes and it's kept her youthful. More progress all the time even after multiple years. Just expect a lot of noise and weirdness while they stake out expectations and get used to each other.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So I have a wonderful older cat who adopted us shortly after moving into my new house. He had a growth biopsied today and came back in good spirits but a little groggy and in a cone of shame.

However, I’m supposed to administer oral meds to him twice a day (pain killer and antibiotics) and there’s no way I can restrain his neck while he’s in the collar. (Like I’ve seen in a million YouTube videos).

How in the hell do I do this? Also, he doesn’t like seafood!

Other than that, he’s one of the sweetest cats I’ve ever known and he charms all the women at the vet’s office.

Thanks in advance folks!

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan
I just cheat by mixing medicine into/ hiding pills in a paté wet food. Not helpful if your cat is not a gluttonous monster who eats anything up to and including carpet fibers and hoovers up his food in enormous unchewed bites

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
If that guy is worried about the cat's masculinity or whatever by chopping off his balls, show him neuticles. I feel like that's a perfect compromise :v:

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

He might scarf cheese or eat them in Pill Pockets. It's always a good day to learn how to burrito your cat and shove pills down his/her throat though. Gotta get it waaaaay back there.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
This morning one of my cats got her neck stuck on a small rope
A few days ago I got them a new scratching post

She managed to get stuck on the rope to the left of the stairs. I'm glad I was home when she got stuck. And that this didn't happen while I was at work or something
the rope was so tight around her neck the only way I could get it off was by cutting the rope with a knife.
She's doing fine now. she's eating and playing and running around.
I have now completely removed the hanging mat from the scratching post
Afterwards my stomach got sick and wanted to throw up but nothing came out. which is kinda weird?

I'm wondering if i should go to the vet even though she seems fine?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The newest in a series Cats Don't Go There

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Sefal posted:

Afterwards my stomach got sick and wanted to throw up but nothing came out. which is kinda weird?

I'm wondering if i should go to the vet even though she seems fine?

They don't normally treat people, you might wanna call first.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

My 16 year old cat has been acting restless and pissy all day (partially because my dad's away), and I've found some liquid stool in his litter box. Is he developing hyperthyroidism or is this something less serious?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Grouchio posted:

My 16 year old cat has been acting restless and pissy all day (partially because my dad's away), and I've found some liquid stool in his litter box. Is he developing hyperthyroidism or is this something less serious?

A bunch of internet people can't possibly know if your cat has hyperthyroidism based on a couple of very general symptoms. It could be pretty much anything, I'd say vet time given how old the cat is.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

My neighbour's cat has lots of gunk in their eyes. One side weeps almost entirely down the length of their nose. Just before mum left for home, the cat was unusually tolerant of our presence (especially since Lucy was nearby) and mum could get close enough to notice that some of that gunk is green.

Neighbour spends most of their time out and thus so does Gunk Cat. Logistically much easier to catch the skittish cat that fears my cat than it is to catch the neighbour, but GC is not in fact my cat. Speaking of, Lucy is a cat without gunk in her eyes and I would like to keep her that way.

I've had mum and a pet store cashier both suggest briefly grabbing Gunk Cat and subjecting her eyes to saline to try and wash it out. I'm thinking on the off-chance that GC's finally getting treatment that an eye wash would gently caress it up, but what are the odds at this point? Is there anything (else) I can or should do?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Drop a note at the neighbours?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Our one guy was a gunk cat in training. A few days of washing the offending eye out with saline and putting stye ointment around it took care of it in a few days. Our other cat didn't end up catching the gunk but we were careful and wore gloves while giving treatment and washed our hands etc...

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Organza Quiz posted:

A bunch of internet people can't possibly know if your cat has hyperthyroidism based on a couple of very general symptoms. It could be pretty much anything, I'd say vet time given how old the cat is.

Exactly. Buffy has hyperthyroidism and the only way to tell is a blood test. The vet can also feel her gland in her neck but that is a secondary symptom, not an identifier. If you'ere worried, take her in for a checkup and blood test. If your vet has the proper equipment, you'll wait 30 minutes and have the result in your hand.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
A few weeks ago I posted about how I have a week to get rid of my elderly cats due to my dad's allergies, repeated accidents, and my own finances not being stable enough to move out. I've had no luck finding a new home for them. I can try the local shelter again, but that'll be a lovely life with almost no prospects for adoption. Dad relented on the ultimatum, but the conversation has turned to euthanizing them after my sister talked to their vet. They were the family cats, and they became my cats after mom died four years ago, so the decision is mine.

Missy is 17, and has had blood test indicating the beginning of a kidney problem. Any further diagnosis would need an internal medicine specialist. She cries for attention a lot this past year, seems achey sometimes, and may have some hearing loss, but she still had an appetite, jumps up on things, grooms herself, and shows affection. The vet said she "looked good" two weeks ago when I was getting her vaccines up-to-date. Then last week during a conversation he said he felt a lump in the kidney area. She's my sister's favorite.

Bobo is 16, diabetic, and has had frequent urinations in a couple areas since his diagnosis, that turned into a bad habit that I had little success fighting. This includes the basement where we keep the litter boxes, that was supposed to be a safe area to keep them in. A few weeks ago, I took him to an emergency vet for constipation, and I've been mixing Miralax into his morning meal ever since on the vet's orders. There have been some small, hardened poops outside the box since.

So the cats are in at least discomfort, and the vet told me he'd euthanize them if I wanted. My sister is very shaken about Missy's kidney thing, due to seeing an acquaintance's cat get fed IV fluid by hand, and she does not want Missy to live through that. Bobo, despite being the problem boy, might have a better prognosis. She started giving them a feline CBD formula with permission from the vet.

I'm going to call a place that does at-home euthanasia when I get off work today and try to schedule a time in a week so my sister and I can both say goodbye. I can't stand the thought of their last moments involving being loaded into a crate that they hate and crying on the way to the vet. But I wonder if I'm doing the cats a disservice by waiting, and if they can wait, do they need to be put down? And all this time my dad's health is affected. I had a job interview a couple weeks ago that it looks like I didn't get, and I can't help but think that if I had gotten it, I'd move out and spend time doing more tests and praying they don't soil the new place. I might have done more about my search for "real" job if I wasn't fretting about the cats. I'm such a loser it's caused physical harm to my dad and animals that I love.

Everything feels so wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

We just found another kitten in our garage. A teeny tiny little black thing that I forgot to take a pic of because I’m a stupid idiot but its cute as hell and its eyes are open and it’s a little mover and :3::kimchi::3:

Only problem is usually when you see one newborn kitten, there’s more with it, and this one was alone. We haven’t seen signs of the rest of the litter yet, and we’re not sure which of the adult strays in our yard is the mother, although there was a small audience of cats watching us and the kitten when we found it.

I’m wondering if the mother might have abandoned this little guy. I’m not sure yet but the fact that there aren’t other kittens nearby causes me to worry a bit. It seems healthy from what I could tell. Hopefully it just wandered away from the rest of its litter.

What do I do if it’s been abandoned?

(P.S. I will try to remember to take a photo of it later today if I can still find it/the mother doesn’t hide it)