Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013
Yeah, pretty much just brought both clerics filled with buffs for Amiri and Jaethal and channeled away. Web and Entangle combo also helped a lot since there was at most two of them attacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

They broke another area in 1.08b that wasn't supposed to be touched.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/640820/discussions/0/3335371283867504436/

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

MonsterEnvy posted:

You sure back during the scene were the nymph ambushes you with a hydra, owlbear and other things I just ran away and succeeded.

Speaking of, what comes of that? I did that scene and left. I came back with my gang and fought a massive plant monster right at the entrance. I then entered the fort and got hit by a brutal level-drain trap and met a door that would not open. Do I just need to wait?

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

SuperKlaus posted:

Speaking of, what comes of that? I did that scene and left. I came back with my gang and fought a massive plant monster right at the entrance. I then entered the fort and got hit by a brutal level-drain trap and met a door that would not open. Do I just need to wait?

You cannot enter the door(for now), you just come back for some loot and decent xp.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I didn't think I could actually escape and solo'd my way through that entire bullshit sequence with my God drat Magus. It took many a save reload + camping.

I've since taken a break from the game.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Do you know what it's like to solo a regenning redcap with bullshit massive stats? I'll tell you. It loving sucks.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

Do you know what it's like to solo a regenning redcap with bullshit massive stats? I'll tell you. It loving sucks.

...It doesn't have massive stats though? I successfully stabbed it a few times (with the cold iron longsword you can buy in town) with a pure STR 10 sorcerer, before going back to burning it to death, and I wasn't rolling 20s or anything on the hits.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

The journal also tells you to bring potions of invisibility. It's one of the sections they telegraph correctly.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Lord Koth posted:

...It doesn't have massive stats though? I successfully stabbed it a few times (with the cold iron longsword you can buy in town) with a pure STR 10 sorcerer, before going back to burning it to death, and I wasn't rolling 20s or anything on the hits.

It felt like a real slog + the owlbear was really kicking my rear end ad nauseum

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Dilber posted:

The journal also tells you to bring potions of invisibility. It's one of the sections they telegraph correctly.

Eh, there's still one Redcap that'll probably spot you on the upper path if your character hasn't actually invested points in Stealth, so thought that was the one they were specifically complaining about And that one isn't entirely a cakewalk for everyone, but melee characters in particular shouldn't really have an issue with it.

Glenn Quebec posted:

It felt like a real slog + the owlbear was really kicking my rear end ad nauseum

Of course the stuff down below was kicking your rear end solo (it's technically doable, but why?) - that's why the game warned you in multiple ways to bring invisibility or the equivalent. And you started specifically complaining about the Redcap.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Lmao Jesus stand down Koth. I did not enjoy the solo encounter and clearly missed the journal entry to slam an invisibility potion. I happened to find the redcaps annoying too.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
Let's all just take a deep breath and agree that the game is a terrible, bug ridden mess that we keep playing and discussing for reasons that are not readily apparent.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

caedwalla posted:

Let's all just take a deep breath and agree that the game is a terrible, bug ridden mess that we keep playing and discussing for reasons that are not readily apparent.

In other words, a perfectly faithful recreation of 3.P?

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
Meet the Nymph in the Ruins
Wow, seems like a weird place. You should bring an invisibility potion or a stealthy character!

wha how in the heck!! this drat game isnt giving me any clues about how to beat this quest!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Lmao I didn't read the journal entry and just went there. You guys are being weird as heck.

Also you have to go solo with your main, he isn't stealthy unfortunately.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
youre complaining about how hard a quest you did wrong was, and yet we are the weird ones.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I know you're having fun dog piling on me because I did a quest badly and didn't read something in the journal but tbh no other time in the game does it let you retreat.

The weird part isn't my mistake but how lame all the snark I'm getting is.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I did not even use a potion. I just ran away from the Hydra climbed up the wall. Killed the Red Cap. Climbed down and ran off.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

MonsterEnvy posted:

I did not even use a potion. I just ran away from the Hydra climbed up the wall. Killed the Red Cap. Climbed down and ran off.

Yeah, I've gathered that this was the way to do it.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah I feel like a few of you are being rather harsh. I don't remember anything about invisibility potions or bringing someone stealthy. All I remember was Linzi sounding like she might be jealous in her journal entries.

What I did there was find the little skill check path, go in using that because why not, then try to run and fail to find the athletics check to get back up the crumbling wall, and proceeded to die. Then reloaded went in directly, then ran up and actually found the skill check and followed them to a side exit. I still had to kill some wolves or something to actually leave as I couldn't click on the leave map bit while the enemies were that close.

EDIT: That said I had a lot more trouble just walking to the place to meet her than the actual summons. Simply because I kept getting ridiculous random encounters.

Yes a lone low level character is totally up for fighting 3 hydras.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

It's a hydra, a manticore and an owlbear. I could not beat the owlbear at all and then slogged through a bunch of regenerating redcaps.

Anyway this game is fun but posting in games has become a real chore. I got the same level of shittiness for being optimistic about having fun playing fallout co-op in the 76 thread. Just gonna unbookmark and peek in after patches or whatever.

Edit: Playing an Eldritch Scion not a sword saint.

Ichabod Tane fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 12, 2018

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Sword Saint really should not be struggling with redcap reduction/regen with expanded crit range and increased crit multiplier though.

Then again I did it at level 8 after the trolls.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Glenn Quebec posted:

I know you're having fun dog piling on me because I did a quest badly and didn't read something in the journal but tbh no other time in the game does it let you retreat.

The weird part isn't my mistake but how lame all the snark I'm getting is.

I retreated successfully from the spider swarm cave.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

They have an alternate story telling mechanic built right into the game. The nymph ambush could have very easily been a story book segment with a few checks to sneak away, or climb a wall or run for your life or whatever. Success could have been sweet sweet XPs and failure dumping your character out at the world map with heavy damage. It didn't need to be a playable segment where bad rolls meant you died over and over again trying to get out.

Nix Panicus fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 12, 2018

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I beat the last AP chapter and I'm now starting the last bit they added for the game itself.

The Lantern King has placed a curse on my entire party, presumably for the duration of the chapter, that ties us with the state of the kingdom. Well, since I've struggled every loving step of the way and got hit with a horrendous amount of bugged kingdom events, all of my combat stats are reduced by 80%. And I have a 50% chance to roll a 1 on all d20 rolls. And enemies have a 50% chance to roll a 20 on all rolls. And I can only use my lowest level spells.

gently caress you, holy poo poo

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I kept putting off going solo with my main character because I didn't want to be bothered to go back to town, take everyone out of my party and then go back out (I didn't know you could change party members on the fly back when I got that quest) so I put it off and put it off and all of the sudden I hit the end of Chapter 2. After that I figured it'd be a real bad idea to go there by myself and never did.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Eox posted:

I beat the last AP chapter and I'm now starting the last bit they added for the game itself.

The Lantern King has placed a curse on my entire party, presumably for the duration of the chapter, that ties us with the state of the kingdom. Well, since I've struggled every loving step of the way and got hit with a horrendous amount of bugged kingdom events, all of my combat stats are reduced by 80%. And I have a 50% chance to roll a 1 on all d20 rolls. And enemies have a 50% chance to roll a 20 on all rolls. And I can only use my lowest level spells.

gently caress you, holy poo poo

Can you just spend a year in kingdom management, or is there another countdown?

Also, what level do you end up as? I've been planning characters as though 16 was the end of the game.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm not proud of this, but I seriously thought about getting this game and hesitated when I saw the constant stream of patches... now I'm glad that I did and follow this thread for a sort of dark humour. Grand for those of you having fun with what is there, but I'm trying to think of the last game I know that was published needing this much patching and nothing is coming to me.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm not proud of this, but I seriously thought about getting this game and hesitated when I saw the constant stream of patches... now I'm glad that I did and follow this thread for a sort of dark humour. Grand for those of you having fun with what is there, but I'm trying to think of the last game I know that was published needing this much patching and nothing is coming to me.

Same, but I actually really want to play it. I'm going to wait until it's not a pile of poo poo though. It's like they are just releasing daily patch builds direct or something.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Washout posted:

Same, but I actually really want to play it. I'm going to wait until it's not a pile of poo poo though. It's like they are just releasing daily patch builds direct or something.
The first chapters are fine, so if you really want to play it just get it. You can play for 35+ hours before encountering any serious bugs.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Wizard Styles posted:

The first chapters are fine, so if you really want to play it just get it. You can play for 35+ hours before encountering any serious bugs.

You get a lot of janky journal entries and poo poo loads of annoying resting before that point though.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The most annoying bug I consistently get is that one quest where the water dryad Mellianse or whatever her name is is holding two lumber dudes mesmerised, even though I consistently resolve that one by getting her the tokens and her releasing the men, the lumber dude head honcho always acts like they died.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Wizard Styles posted:

I'm also waiting for some good quality of life mods and things like that before I start playing, and some sort of fan balance patch to even out all the redicliousness I keep seeing complaints of.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Chairchucker posted:

The most annoying bug I consistently get is that one quest where the water dryad Mellianse or whatever her name is is holding two lumber dudes mesmerised, even though I consistently resolve that one by getting her the tokens and her releasing the men, the lumber dude head honcho always acts like they died.

Yeah that bullshit has happened on every playthrough.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I downloaded the latest "patch" and now have trees, rocks, and whatnot replaced by glowing balls of light. :thumbsup:

I still like the game though. Hopefully, they'll fix.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Washout posted:

They are, and also their patches keep breaking other stuff.

Fake edit: See post above mine.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

While daily patches are annoying, it feels better than the opposite.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.
I want to meet whoever balanced this game. They seem like one of those stuffed up types that think they are better than everyone because they don't mind saving-loading every fight 100 times because they think strategy is needing to roll consecutive 20s to do anything.

This game will be amazing if modding tools are released/made and someone with a 10th graders intelligence can re-work the encounters and monsters to something resembling sanity.

Definitely a WAIT-TO-BUY on this one.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Not a Step posted:

Can you just spend a year in kingdom management, or is there another countdown?

Also, what level do you end up as? I've been planning characters as though 16 was the end of the game.

I went into the final dungeon at 14 and left at 15, after which for story reasons you can't manage your kingdom and I have found no way to remove this debuff, in fact the moment I leave the safe area I'm massacred by the Wild Hunt. There is straight up nothing I can do unless something is bugged, so make sure you manage your kingdom well and make a loving beeline through the story to avoid more chances for things to spiral out of control.

Notes on some enemies you're gonna be running into late-game, not necessary a story spoiler: The Wild Hunt are loving dicks. As near as I can tell, they're not in the original AP as they were added in the 6th bestiary. Only the Scout, Archer and Monarch show up ingame but they show up in droves and the endgame dungeon is absolutely crawling with them. They'll start to show up maybe around chapter 5, and any time you see them it is absolutely imperative that you find out if they have a Monarch and stop him from summoning five more dudes if so. Between their sneak attacks, melee weapons targeting touch AC and a spammable ranged spell with a blind it's completely unmanageable and even on story difficulty when they start hitting someone they're straight up marked for death. There may or may not be a bug right now where you can pick up their swords, I call it a bug because the swords target touch AC when you use them too and their item name is just a period. Sometimes ghost enemies bug out the same way and I've been able to pick up their +1 Agile Rapiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Are Rangers the best martial class? Ekun and Dog both, individually, seem to have a similar damage output to my other martial classes.