Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

We probably need a different term for "knock off fiction made by someone who is not the original creator."

Fan fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What if you got a Star Wars novel by someone who really hated Star Wars and wasn't a fan at all?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Oh, they made a novelization of KOTOR II?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

What if you got a Star Wars novel by someone who really hated Star Wars and wasn't a fan at all?

We just talked about Karen Traviss in the previous page.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

cptn_dr posted:

Whoever wrote KOTOR II really loved Star Wars?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Lead Psychiatry posted:

That really doesn't sound very enticing. But I haven't read Alexander Freed before. He wrote SW: Purge, SW Battlefront: Twilight Company, and the Rogue One novelization and a bunch of comics from the looks of it. What's the consensus on him?

I've only read the Rogue One novel of those but it's the best of the current novelizations, for whatever that's worth.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

kotor 2 is a defense of the rights of sentient beings to not be forced into convenient but really dumb narrative arcs to fulfill the wishes of the force, i.e. the author, even if the author gives them special powers as compensation

the thesis here is that the likes of kevin j anderson are, from an in-universe perspective, monsters on a massive scale because they dictate the "will of the force" in stupid and arbitrary ways that result in pointless conflict. in other words, "i'm so sick of all these star wars". on the other hand, the person who holds this perspective is also the final boss

anyway it couldn't have been written except by someone who thought way too much about star wars so i doubt they hated it. they were just exploring the actual moral consequences of having a tangible 'hand of god' at work in the universe

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Avellone doens't hate Star Wars. "Kill Fate for being an rear end in a top hat" is the main theme but there is plenty of good ole' Star Wars space battles and bounty hunters and lightsabers and genuine heroics going on. They're just framed within the context of Star Wars having long lasting consequences that aren't immediately apparent. The instigating catalyst for the game's plot isn't even a Jedi/Sith conflict, but a mundane war by the standards of the setting. You don't need to be a Jedi or force sensitive to realize just how devastating even something as (relatively) limited as the Mandalorian Wars can be to normal people. It adds a weight to a lot of the elements of Star Wars we take for granted, but it doesn't refute those things, it just asks you to look beyond the immediate effect of "wow explosions!"

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think it's also worth pointing out that after KOTOR II, Chris Avellone also wrote some fairly by-the-books, kid-oriented Clone Wars comics, which doesn't seem like something that someone who hates Star Wars would do.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Sorry, I was making a (bad) joke. I love Kotor II the most out of any Star Wars game, I agree that Avellone doesn't actually hate Star Wars.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
KOTOR II is bad.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

MLYP

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

KOTOR II is bad.

https://i.imgur.com/w0xrclq.gif

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
KotOR II is really more of a critique of the EU than of the actual movies. It was the EU after all, with the first KotOR that II is a direct response to as a poster child, that had the Star Wars setting be trapped in an endless series of corrupt useless Republics with corrupt useless Jedi getting caught in endless star wars with endless evil empires. If we go by the Lucas movies there was essentially a big happy eternal Republic that only had this single 30-odd year hiccup till some dashing Rebels sorted it all out. The Jedi and Republic are like they are in the Prequels because they're a story about about the fall. While the EU, since it would so often copy stuff from the movies despite lacking context, decided the Republic and Jedi were going to always be this all the time. KotOR II was really more relevant to Star Wars as a property gone over by endless hack writers than any of the movies themes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In any case, I think I would like to see a Star Wars movie made by someone who just doesn't like Star Wars. I think that would be interesting. I believe the guy who handled the reshoots on Rogue One was fairly pointed about not being interested in Star Wars at all and treating it as just another job.

Beyond that, though, I'm not sure if there are many big name movie directors who just don't like it. Most of them seem to.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

In any case, I think I would like to see a Star Wars movie made by someone who just doesn't like Star Wars. I think that would be interesting. I believe the guy who handled the reshoots on Rogue One was fairly pointed about not being interested in Star Wars at all and treating it as just another job.

Beyond that, though, I'm not sure if there are many big name movie directors who just don't like it. Most of them seem to.

I think Tarantino is the only director who has said that he wouldn't do Star Wars because he doesn't like it. A few other directors (including at least one MCU guy, which says something) I've seen said they wouldn't want to do it because the studio interference would be crippling.

But I have to assume that especially under Disney, it wouldn't matter much. I can't believe that every single MCU director is a huge fan of obscure C-level comics from the 1980s, but thanks to the studio system they keep churning out the exact same Marvel in-house style.

For something a bit different, JJ Abrams notable was not a Star Trek fan so just did something as close to Star Wars as he could, and it showed. Seriously - watch the 2009 Trek and then TFA back to back and there are a lot of similarities.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I know older guys like Ridley Scott and more independent-minded guys like Fincher have said they wouldn't like to make a Star Wars because they don't think they'd have as much creative freedom as they'd like.

On the other end, Christopher McQuarrie says he'd always wanted to make a Star Wars movie but no longer has any interest because he doesn't want to have to deal with the fandom, which is understandable. :v:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Chuck Wendig just got fired from Marvel. Even funnier, the reason given was apparently his lovely personality.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
All those tweets he made attacking Ben Shapiro and Dinesh D'Souza are being blamed, apparently.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
To be fair those two shitstains deserve whatever people throw at them.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
More will probably come out. We'll have to wait and see. It's not professional of him but I think it was over Kavanaugh so I feel you can forgive him for being aggressive about it. :shrug:

Like, if it was some random person with conservative views on Twitter he was arguing with, then maybe, but if it's D'Souza and Shapiro, those guys have made careers of being professional right-wing trolls so it's not exactly like the field was tilted in his favour.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Wendig has been outspoken about his liberal political views on Twitter. On Oct. 7, he drew the attention of well-known conservative personalities such as Ben Shapiro and filmmaker Dinesh D'Souza with a series of tweets surrounding the confirmation of Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, who had been accused of sexual assault. In one tweet, which he later deleted because he said it had become a "funnel for harassment," he wrote, "Winter is coming, you callous fucknecks, you prolapsed assholes, you grotesque monsters, you racists and rapists and wretched abusers, you vengeful petty horrors."

lmao

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Good for him for going after those people.

He was also a thin-skinned, petty, argumentative rear end in a top hat who went after anyone who disliked him by claiming all bad reviews of his terrible books were because every critic was a right-wing homophobe.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So that's two content creators that Disney has thrown under the bus rather than condemn alt right shitheels.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In fairness this time it seems to be all on Marvel.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think more than anything, the fact people are surprised at this is a testament to Disney's PR getting people to believe they're some great progressive company when they have always been absolutely terrible on just about every political front there is.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
- It sucks that the alt-right has directly/indirectly gotten another genre creator fired.
- It shouldn’t really be a surprise since he’s been fighting with twitter idiots since day 1 and 2018 has shown that companies won’t tolerate people who are potential social media liabilities anymore.
- I don’t agree with why he was fired, but I won’t miss him writing for Star Wars because his style was grating and he wasn’t a great author.

Maybe now a more skilled author will be able to use characters like Sinjir and Snap.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Who says he's not writing for Star Wars novels anymore? He was fired from Marvel, not Del Rey or Lucasfilm.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cross-Section posted:

Who says he's not writing for Star Wars novels anymore? He was fired from Marvel, not Del Rey or Lucasfilm.

He mentioned he was also taken off an announced SW book and I had interpreted that to be a novel, but I suppose he could have just been referring to another comic.

He also said he believed this was a Marvel decision, not Lucasfilm. Lucasfilm hasn’t put out a statement of any kind to my knowledge, so who knows.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Aftermath was almost satire of Star Wars. Remember this line:

"The TIE wibbles and wobbles through the air, careening drunkenly across the Myrran rooftops - it zigzags herkily-jerkily out of sight."

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He mentioned he was also taken off an announced SW book and I had interpreted that to be a novel, but I suppose he could have just been referring to another comic.

It likely was a comic:

(from the JCC Lit forum)

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
What a strange thing to be pedantic about.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chairman Capone posted:

Good for him for going after those people.

He was also a thin-skinned, petty, argumentative rear end in a top hat who went after anyone who disliked him by claiming all bad reviews of his terrible books were because every critic was a right-wing homophobe.

pretty much. i think the writing was on the wall for him and my guess is he was like this in office/in person too. gently caress shapiro and dinish, they are both pieces of poo poo and deserve only suffering, and i can't blame him for getting mad over a rapist/sex monster getting on the court thanks to the party of "family values". that being said, i wouldnt use my public facing twitter account to call them out on it and start twitter fights. he comes off as a angry thin skinned dickhead. also his writing is loving awful.

BananaNutkins posted:

Aftermath was almost satire of Star Wars. Remember this line:

"The TIE wibbles and wobbles through the air, careening drunkenly across the Myrran rooftops - it zigzags herkily-jerkily out of sight."

yeah. pretty much. he is overly descriptive in very very dumb/bad ways. also present tense. it sucks because he seems to be an alright/good character creater and ideas man.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chairman Capone posted:

I think Tarantino is the only director who has said that he wouldn't do Star Wars because he doesn't like it. A few other directors (including at least one MCU guy, which says something) I've seen said they wouldn't want to do it because the studio interference would be crippling.

that sucks because id be interested in a star wars movie by him. also james gunn but thats probably never happening.

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah...But I've never actually seen that though. I have seen him calling out the maga chuds and their death threats, and I have seen a lot of people post statements saying he lumps them all together, but I've never actually seen him saying anything like what you're describing.

Maybe he did and I am wrong, but I am sure it's hard to assume anyone is arguing in good faith online when you are being targeted by the alt-right.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Chuck might have been a pissy jerk about Aftermath getting poor reviews, but anyone who is against the alt right chuds isn't all bad. Destroying fascists and supremacists means I can look past someone getting upset their book wasn't well liked by some people if it means Shapiro can never leave his house again.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Marvel's EIC is a man who prepared to be a Japanese person for the better part of a decade and Chuck Wendig was the problem.

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

Lake Jucas posted:

Yeah...But I've never actually seen that though. I have seen him calling out the maga chuds and their death threats, and I have seen a lot of people post statements saying he lumps them all together, but I've never actually seen him saying anything like what you're describing.

Maybe he did and I am wrong, but I am sure it's hard to assume anyone is arguing in good faith online when you are being targeted by the alt-right.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-wars-writer-chuck-wendig-claims-marvel-fired-him-f-1829718822

For what it's worth, he explicitly differentiates between the alt-right and people who didn't like his books in his Twitter thread about being fired, saying he has no problem with the latter.

If you click through to the io9 article, you can read Wendig's own account of what happened.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The irony is that "winter is coming" is supposed to be a humbling reminder for who speaks it. Wendig, like Gunn, clearly could use some humility after his slanderous tweets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
They were both rude and maybe a bit aggressive but I don't think they slandered anyone.

I don't remember the rules, though. Is a tweet libellous or slanderous? I forget which is which.