Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Aqua is going to try and murder Ainz, who is going to be super jealous of wiz still having skin, emotions and sex organs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014
Isn't one of Ainz's tropes that he is good at maintaining the appearance of his avatar? Like everyone automatically assumes he's terrifying and threatening?

I feel like everyone will quake at him.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I feel that the Winter Shogun and Hans were way scarier for Kazuma.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

KomeradeCanadian posted:

Isn't one of Ainz's tropes that he is good at maintaining the appearance of his avatar? Like everyone automatically assumes he's terrifying and threatening?

I feel like everyone will quake at him.

Kazuma fears powerful monsters but he has NO RESPECT for other 'players' with overpowered, unearned avatars, so it's fifty fifty.

KomeradeCanadian
Jun 22, 2014
He could definitely steal that scepter of broken op poo poo

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Crasical posted:

Kazuma fears powerful monsters but he has NO RESPECT for other 'players' with overpowered, unearned avatars, so it's fifty fifty.

In fairness, Ainz did all the legwork to be overpowered.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SpazmasterX posted:

In fairness, Ainz did all the legwork to be overpowered.

That is all time but no actual risk.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Hunt11 posted:

That is all time but no actual risk.

He risked entire paychecks on the rare gacha. He is the hero El-Rantel deserves :colbert:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hunt11 posted:

He could work wonders with any of the other protagonists as he would no longer have to carry the burden of being the only relatively sane member of the party or organization.

this was the crux of the party swap chapter, where kazuma can shine really well when he's not chained to the chucklefuck brigade

though he arguably gets more done with said chucklefucks so i guess it works out

chiasaur11 posted:

He got one cheat item. Because Aqua was a poo poo to him, he picked dragging her along to make her suffer. This lead to more suffering for Kazuma.

That was in the show, right in the first episode. Kind of a core part of the premise.

tbf despite how actively detrimental she is most of the time she IS the only reason he's still alive, so good choice i guess???

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Yinlock posted:

this was the crux of the party swap chapter, where kazuma can shine really well when he's not chained to the chucklefuck brigade

though he arguably gets more done with said chucklefucks so i guess it works out

tbf despite how actively detrimental she is most of the time she IS the only reason he's still alive, so good choice i guess???

Yeah but every time he has died, it's been her fault or one of the other two.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
IIRC, didn't the author say at some point that if Kazuma had picked literally anything other than Aqua as his cheat item he'd have crushed the Demon King already?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

The Sandman posted:

IIRC, didn't the author say at some point that if Kazuma had picked literally anything other than Aqua as his cheat item he'd have crushed the Demon King already?

I can't speak to that but I'm pretty sure he'd at least be living a life of leisure.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Kazuma would have never found the diary of his predecessor and would have unwittingly retraced his exact steps to develop a mobile destroyer fortress MKII

edit: also a sadist maid bot that probably would have looked sorta like Aqua

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Mr. Fowl posted:

I can't speak to that but I'm pretty sure he'd at least be living a life of leisure.

He's filthy rich and lives in a mansion already, just ends up getting wrangled into shenanigans every few weeks or so.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

SpazmasterX posted:

He's filthy rich and lives in a mansion already, just ends up getting wrangled into shenanigans every few weeks or so.

his dumb friends are extremely good at getting him motivated, mainly because he actually does care about them despite his best efforts

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah but every time he has died, it's been her fault or one of the other two.

This but the opposite? It's always been his fault when he dies.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Captain Cappy posted:

This but the opposite? It's always been his fault when he dies.

In the anime he has died three times. Once was Darkness's fault, once was his own, and once was collateral damage to take care of demon king general.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

HenryEx posted:

Kazuma would have never found the diary of his predecessor and would have unwittingly retraced his exact steps to develop a mobile destroyer fortress MKII

edit: also a sadist maid bot that probably would have looked sorta like Aqua

No way would Kazuma have build a sadist maid bot. He's the sadist.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
During the 1st season OVA he also kinda brought it on himself.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hunt11 posted:

In the anime he has died three times. Once was Darkness's fault, once was his own, and once was collateral damage to take care of demon king general.

No the second time was his party's fault.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Hunt11 posted:

The badass death easily makes up for the other two.

I like the idea of Kazuma being able to run great with a 'normal' crew, but it's all small if consistent victories.

Only with the dysfunctional minmax crew, though, would he ever do poo poo like bring down a city leveling unstoppable magical death machine ... even if it might be his fault it's rampaging in the first place.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

No the second time was his party's fault.

Winter Shogun: He didn't toss his sword down like Aqua told him to repeatedly.
Lizards: He drain touched the DPS who could have solved everything from the beginning if he didn't come up with an unnecessarily complex plan. Also failed his reflex save in the tree.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
There was also the time where the girls literally murdered him for his chicanery and then Eris asked him not not die in such stupid ways.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Captain Cappy posted:

That was because he was too busy trying to stop Darkness from being decapitated due to her masochistic tendencies.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I actually went ahead and caught up on the Overlord manga in my free time. I have some complaints but first and foremost I am incredibly confused by the idea of a crossover now.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Crasical posted:

I actually went ahead and caught up on the Overlord manga in my free time. I have some complaints but first and foremost I am incredibly confused by the idea of a crossover now.

The manga is the worst version, so.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

the big problem with the idea of the crossover is the that it's asking Konosuba to carry the weight of the other 3

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Rodyle posted:

the big problem with the idea of the crossover is the that it's asking Konosuba to carry the weight of the other 3

Overlord and RE:Zero both outsell Konosuba. Tanya is the least-popular of the four.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Which is a shame as Konosuba and Tanya are the only ones I like of the group.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Captain Cappy posted:

Lizards: He drain touched the DPS who could have solved everything from the beginning if he didn't come up with an unnecessarily complex plan. Also failed his reflex save in the tree.

Winter Shogun he was trying to Save Darkness.

Lizards. The plan was solid, the issue was that Aqua lured all the Lizards to them instead of letting them do the plan happen the way they wanted.

Herbotron
Feb 25, 2013

If it relied on Aqua in any way it was not a solid plan.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Mokinokaro posted:

:same: other two are trash

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Jackard posted:

:same: other two are trash

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

all 3 of the non-konosuba ones are trash, it just varies as to what flavor of garbage you enjoy

i like overlord, though it's bad

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My enjoyments of the 4 are, in order of most to least:
  1. Konosuba (the funniest one on top)
  2. Re:Zero (it goes to some really grim places that I honestly feel compelled to see just how darker it gets)
  3. Overlord (not as much of a fan, but the occasional focus shift in the anime across seasons has kept things interesting for me)
  4. Youjo Senki (I actually like this better than Overlord, but the fact that Overlord has more episodes to do its thing has this at the bottom)

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

• #1 Konosuba - Kazuma succeeds out of sheer (setting-literal) luck. He has to put in effort to keep his cohorts pointed in the right direction (and not destroying the places they just saved), but meeting them in the first place and the poo poo they pull off seems tied to his sheer luck.

• #2 Youjo Senki - Tanya succeeds out of absolute unstoppable spite. The others have deities helping rather than impeding them at every chance (Aqua aside). Tanya is the most 'downgraded' protag of any isekai I've seen, stripped of gender, size, and importance, but climbs right out of that poo poo to be a literal engine of war.

• #∞ Re:Zero - Subaru succeds out of cosmic pity. He's literally immortal and could groundhog day his way into any skill or knowledge, but just does the same poo poo over and over. It's not until someone who is guaranteed to have zero knowledge of his situation gives up and takes him seriously out of the blue and holds his hand through the rest of the plot that he succeeds in a meaningful way.

Overlord I've not watched, but safe bet it's in the middle.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Overlord is best when it shifts from Ainz' perspective to that of others, which is why the adaptations tend to be weaker since they carve a lot of that stuff out.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Subaru's power was given to him by forces unknown and for reasons unknown so for all he knows they could be taken away just as arbitrarily making whatever life he's on his last chance. Which probably makes him a bit gun-shy about acting too rashly.

I mean, he's a dipshit a lot of the time, but brute forcing his was forward by dying a lot doesn't necessarily seem like the best solution given what little he knows.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Ranzear posted:

[*]#2 Youjo Senki - Tanya succeeds out of absolute unstoppable spite. The others have deities helping rather than impeding them at every chance (Aqua aside). Tanya is the most 'downgraded' protag of any isekai I've seen, stripped of gender, size, and importance, but climbs right out of that poo poo to be a literal engine of war.

Alright, but Tanya does have super god powers and magic, as well as a 21st century education.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ranzear posted:

[*]#∞ Re:Zero - Subaru succeds out of cosmic pity. He's literally immortal and could groundhog day his way into any skill or knowledge, but just does the same poo poo over and over. It's not until someone who is guaranteed to have zero knowledge of his situation gives up and takes him seriously out of the blue and holds his hand through the rest of the plot that he succeeds in a meaningful way.
[/list]

Congratulations, you completely missed the point, a point the series is never exactly subtle about considering it's one of the pillars of Subaru's character. Death really, really, REALLY sucks, and constantly dying is only hurting him psychologically, not helping him. Re:Zero goes against the usual "death is fine, you'll just be brought back" by pointing out the obvious: we have a primal fear of death for a reason, now imagine going constantly through it, and worse, having your memories never really match the world due to constant resets.

Being Subaru isn't "oh yay, immortality in a cool isekai!". Being Subaru really loving sucks. That he manages to still continue on despite getting both physically and mentally devastated constantly every arc is proof of mental fortitude, considering he shows how he could just break down and never really continue with his suffering.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Alright, but Tanya does have super god powers and magic, as well as a 21st century education.

Yeah, she has super god powers. She also really loving hates having super god powers, because she needs to horribly humilliate herself by praying to Being X to use them. It's a hilarious subversion, and it only happened because she was too goddamn proud to lower her head - which is weird, coming from someone that believes in the corporate ladder so hard. But her atheism triumphs over it, not to mention her complete hatred of Being X.

I'm not sure if Isekai Quartet will be good but at the very least, Tanya interacting with Aqua should prove amazing.