Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Any rad new mecha series this season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Luminaflare posted:

Second season of Space Battleship Tiramisu

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Luminaflare posted:

Gridman's first episode owned pretty hard.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Luminaflare posted:

The first episode of Gridman was pretty promising. They need to bring back the original show's OP before I'll be happy with it, though.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Anyone watch last hope on Netflix? Looks like a little transformation mecha show but not sure if it's a y good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I heard the action scenes were a bit old-fashioned, technologically speaking, but how do they compare to the ones in Macross Frontier? Because those were beautifully-directed, even if the CG has aged a bit, and the short clips in the trailer reminded me of them.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Luminaflare posted:

Godzilla vs The Planet Eater is about a month away, if that fits. :shrug:

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

Anyone watch last hope on Netflix? Looks like a little transformation mecha show but not sure if it's a y good.

The few eps I saw reminded me of a lamer Aquarion, but maybe I didn't give it enough shrift.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, finally watched Gunbuster.

Man. The first four episodes aren't very good. Like, all the positive buzz I'd heard for the show pretty much was for the last two, looking back. They justified it, don't get me wrong, I think they were pretty solid, but the whole original planned run... yeah. Not a fan.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

chiasaur11 posted:

So, finally watched Gunbuster.

Man. The first four episodes aren't very good. Like, all the positive buzz I'd heard for the show pretty much was for the last two, looking back. They justified it, don't get me wrong, I think they were pretty solid, but the whole original planned run... yeah. Not a fan.

This is a bad take.

More seriously, you're free to dislike any part of it, but for me even the earlier episodes have their positives. I enjoy the pseudo-sports atmosphere that was heavily influenced by the late Osamu Dezaki's works. Furthermore, almost everything can be tied together both thematically and in terms of the main character's arc.

wielder fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Oct 13, 2018

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

when i tried watching gunbuster i found the beginning of it kind of boring, tbh, and never got around to finishing it

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

wielder posted:

This is a bad take.

More seriously, you're free to dislike any part of it, but for me even the earlier episodes have their positives. I enjoy the pseudo-sports atmosphere that was heavily influenced by the late Osamu Dezaki's works. Furthermore, almost everything can be tied together both thematically and in terms of the main character's arc.

Yeah, like every piece of Gunbuster is on point and important thematically and without the build up of the start you don't get the resonance required for the ending. Its also just over 2 hours long.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah for real, just try comparing GunBuster to other OVA's that came out the same year like The Tale of Neo-Byston Well or Hades Project Zeorymer. The difference in quality is noticeable.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The first 4 episodes of Gunbuster are super necessary for the payoff, and it wouldn't have worked as just the last two episodes. They're also kind of a slog compared to the finale, especially if you know what's coming.

Like, I don't think these are incompatible statements.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The events of the first 4 episodes need to happen to given context and weight to the last two, but they don't actually need to happen the way they're depicted. Noriko needs to have some self doubt and overcome it for instance, but she doesn't need to do so as a schoolgirl doing physical training in a giant robot that's meant to ape an old tennis anime.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

tsob posted:

The events of the first 4 episodes need to happen to given context and weight to the last two, but they don't actually need to happen the way they're depicted. Noriko needs to have some self doubt and overcome it for instance, but she doesn't need to do so as a schoolgirl doing physical training in a giant robot that's meant to ape an old tennis anime.

Yes, Gainax could have depicted the events in a lame way instead of a cool way, if they had so chosen.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I, the discerning anime connoisseur, cannot fathom the reason a anime character might lift weights in a giant robot suit instead of lifting weights herself.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Slandering of Aim for the Ace is highly illegal.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I wasn't aware that noting Gunbuster based it's earlier episodes on Aim for the Ace was slander. I'll report to the nearest anime re-education center for appropriate moderation of opinion right away though.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Every episode of Gunbuster is good

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
If you can't enjoy Gunbuster of all fuckin things I feel straight up sorry for you and your joyless existence.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

If you can't enjoy Gunbuster of all fuckin things I feel straight up sorry for you and your joyless existence.

I do like Gunbuster! Gunbuster is good!

(It just has to suck for four episodes first)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

chiasaur11 posted:

I do like Gunbuster! Gunbuster is good!

(It just has to suck for four episodes first)

Light Gun Man posted:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The only part of Gunbuster I don't like is Smith, because he kind of Kramers in out of nowhere to be Noriko's new friend/pseudo love interest for just long enough for Noriko to feel bad when he dies. He's invented and disposed of in almost the same narrative breath purely to act as pathos and motivation for Noriko instead of being an actual character of his own. This is kind of a problem because the rest of the cast acts as motivations for Noriko while also actually being characters.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 14, 2018

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

tsob posted:

I wasn't aware that noting Gunbuster based it's earlier episodes on Aim for the Ace was slander. I'll report to the nearest anime re-education center for appropriate moderation of opinion right away though.

The slander was the bit where you said it wasn't good to be based on Aim for the Ace.

Every episode of Gunbuster is good.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

EthanSteele posted:

Yeah, like every piece of Gunbuster is on point and important thematically and without the build up of the start you don't get the resonance required for the ending. Its also just over 2 hours long.

not an empty quote

GorfZaplen posted:

Every episode of Gunbuster is good

especially if i double quote

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Including episode 4 among the ones that "suck" is especially weird to me because the fight at the end of it is like the most emotional scene in the show except for the ending. It's the end of Noriko's arc, where she finally overcomes everything that's been holding her back and does something amazing. While episode 5 has a cool fight it's really about Kasumi's drama that was introduced in the same ep so it doesn't really have the same emotional gravitas.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

EthanSteele posted:

The slander was the bit where you said it wasn't good to be based on Aim for the Ace.

Every episode of Gunbuster is good.

I was slandering Gunbuster's first four episodes for being based on Aim for the Ace, not Aim for the Ace itself. Which it'd be hard for me to do, since I've never seen it. I assume those parts work better there though, since my impression is that Aim for the Ace is a more dramatic show and the context fits better with the drama I imagine it's going for than the comedy Gunbuster uses it for.

Droyer posted:

Including episode 4 among the ones that "suck" is especially weird to me because the fight at the end of it is like the most emotional scene in the show except for the ending. It's the end of Noriko's arc, where she finally overcomes everything that's been holding her back and does something amazing. While episode 5 has a cool fight it's really about Kasumi's drama that was introduced in the same ep so it doesn't really have the same emotional gravitas.

I'm pretty sure episodes 4 and 6 were the ones I enjoyed the most of both Gunbuster and Diebuster, but I haven't seen either in around a decade at this point so I just assumed it was 5 and 6 and left it alone since I'm not that bothered on the exact numbering.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 14, 2018

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

TYOOL 2018 and there’s not a 30th Anniversary Blu-Ray of GunBuster I can buy in America SMDH.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Gunbuster cribs from several genres and several other shows. Aim for the Ace is the most obvious because that's the one Gunbuster took it's name from, but one that's equally notable is Danguard Ace. The kid of a disappeared space explorer trying to become pilot candidate of the yet-to-be-completed Earth super robot is straight from that series. I don't doubt that there were other series from about the same time that Gunbuster also took similar inspiration from.

This is all to say that Gunbuster changes style and genre very fluidly, not just throughout the series but even within an episode. Episodes 5 and 6 get much more bombastic than any of the previous episodes. (Gunbuster's launch in episode 4 is drat near restrained by comparison, and Noriko's fight against the STMC mothership is down-right solemn.) If you that bombastic style is what you want out of the series, then those episodes are going to be the ones you like.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Hideaki Anno's gift is copying everything and mashing it together into a somehow new thing that's rad.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

EthanSteele posted:

Hideaki Anno's gift is copying everything and mashing it together into a somehow new thing that's rad.

Tarantino?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Raxivace posted:

TYOOL 2018 and there’s not a 30th Anniversary Blu-Ray of GunBuster I can buy in America SMDH.

hasn't Gunbuster like always been kinda hard to find in the US

like, iirc, US Renditions did a VHS release, Bandai Visual did a super super limited DVD that's bonkers rear end expensive, and then there's the movie on bluray, and that's literally the entire breadth of Gunbuster's legal US releases

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Here's why they're doing push-ups at the beginning of Gunbuster.

https://news.mit.edu/2018/movement-enhancing-exoskeletons-impair-decision-making-1004

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
I thought she was doing it without any of the internal balancers/gyros/macros/technobabble handling that stuff for her. She was working on her fine control of the mecha or something.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

bacon flaps posted:

I thought she was doing it without any of the internal balancers/gyros/macros/technobabble handling that stuff for her. She was working on her fine control of the mecha or something.

Yeah, this is the reason the show gives. The units have a ton of internal autopilot stuff and she was being trained to move it without relying on it.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Kanos posted:

Yeah, this is the reason the show gives. The units have a ton of internal autopilot stuff and she was being trained to move it without relying on it.

checks out to me did you see the parts where she screamed and was badass?

Gunbuster 11/10

i have written this post in the form of a shitpost but i loving love Gunbuster

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Guy Goodbody posted:

Second season of Space Battleship Tiramisu

Yamato 2202 is really good, They spent like 5 episodes on "Hey ! Remember the Comet Empire ?" and the followed up with "yeah, none of that poo poo is happening."

drat but I love when a remake exceeds the original. 2202 has good character stuff, fantastic action scenes, and the show's mythology gets weird.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

mllaneza posted:

Yamato 2202 is really good, They spent like 5 episodes on "Hey ! Remember the Comet Empire ?" and the followed up with "yeah, none of that poo poo is happening."

drat but I love when a remake exceeds the original. 2202 has good character stuff, fantastic action scenes, and the show's mythology gets weird.

no there's really a show called Space Battleship Tiramisu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msM-t8HZoic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

To be fair me and Goodbody might be literally the only ones who watch Tiramisu.