Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Ty for ur wise werds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
I wonder what size player base they need to make it profitable enough to support long-term.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

dogsupremacy posted:

The problem is instead of doing all this work on furniture, cosmetics, nonsense they need to instead focus on re-balancing the game and providing any sort of fuckin content at all before all the pop bleeds off in a way that requires the least time and resources to implement. Factions and territory control and territory control are nebulous grand ideas for a road map but by the time they get to that and if they are implemented in an interesting way it may be to little to late.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

dogsupremacy posted:

Look how weak this change log sounds its padded with hella fluff:
Their blog is always incomplete and full of dumb horseshit, here are the actual upcoming changes pieced together from various places:

#26 Alliances Update
--- Hopefully the goddamned alliances (why do they still not work after four months of development?)
--- Items like Clothing, Swivs, Cannons, Wings, Engines have matching icons
--- Shipyard bubbles fade in/out instead of expanding/contracting
--- Increased strength of wind in stormwalls and sandwalls
--- Options for disabling fov, motionblur and speedshake
--- Overheat graphics for cannons and swivguns
--- Bugfix for the helm ejecting pilots for no loving reason
--- Bugfix for ships flashing when they load and ghost ship parts
--- Bugfix for multiple shipyards and ownership. Docking an unregistered ship to a shipyard clears ownership of the shipyard
--- Bugfix for "overlapping" ship parts (maybe)
--- Bugfix for gliders randomly not working
--- Bugfix for moving ships disabling bombs
--- Bugfix for permanent blights

#27 Crafters Update
--- Chests get better loot over time and no longer vanish when looted
--- Creatures drop extra resources (like leather) depending on biome
--- New resources and recipes for food, dyes, furniture, clothing
--- Bugfix for "popping" ragdoll jumps and "channeling" ship parts
--- Bugfix for sandwall and stormwall "preloading"
--- Adding rocks and poo poo to sandwall
--- Ciphers and schematic salvaging
--- New smoother wind system
--- Music system with guitar

--- Reviver charges (maybe)

??
--- Prevented ship parts from the same ship damaging each other
--- Bugfix for lag when loading islands and "phasing" through objects
--- New projectile system for island turrets
--- Furniture: chair, table, shelf, stove
--- Knowledge tree redesign

Jackard fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 18, 2018

forge
Feb 26, 2006
We all have to keep in mind that the 100k boxes they sold had people log out after 5 minutes of being griefed. So those players have a ton of content waiting on them that we've all long since been bored of. The major thing is the explorer/survivor server changes which are tests.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

The long awaited PvE server is finally here.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

i was parking my ship and building a mooring so I could edit it and this guy ran up grabbed the helm gunned it, flipped it, wedged it upside down against the respawn monolith tower thing saying "first time lol" and running off.

Is this ship hosed or is there a reverse or way to not touch a building anymore at all?

I really hate this man.

I'm never getting this ship back, am I?

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 10, 2018

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Hold control

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I tried that, I tried shift and control, pointing that stick in every direction, fast, slow, still, sails up sails down. I tried everything. Eventually I was disassembling wings and decks and anything that wedged me in there and finally I got the idea to disassemble the atlas core. That was what let me fall straight down once it 'broke'. I died and fell into a chasm but eventually I got out and just used the repair tool on it again to leave.

Couldn't turn ever again. Had to sail straight to a new island to build a new shipyard.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Alliances seem to be working now, if you are on Driss-PvP and want the tag then send an app to Slam Whales. You might have to use search for it to show up in their browser.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Is there a reason to park at a ship builder node thingy if you don't want to modify at all, like does it keep it safe, at all, in any way? Only in the people cant grab the wheel and fly away sense if you take the wheel with you?

My ship is gone and I can't spawn there and there's no explanation given. I'm warned when lightning strikes a building three islands away I couldn't care about but someone can steal or destroy my ship and I don't get a page about it.

I'm sad.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Krinkle posted:

Is there a reason to park at a ship builder node thingy if you don't want to modify at all, like does it keep it safe, at all, in any way? Only in the people cant grab the wheel and fly away sense if you take the wheel with you?

My ship is gone and I can't spawn there and there's no explanation given. I'm warned when lightning strikes a building three islands away I couldn't care about but someone can steal or destroy my ship and I don't get a page about it.

I'm sad.

It stops people from accessing your stuff without a code, stops projectiles from outside the shell, people without the code can't grapple to the shell and it alerts you if anyone damages the ship or shipyard. Of course your ship doesn't log off if you leave it docked so that's a real bad idea.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Since posts are happening here I figured I would add these notes for things since I last played (probably since the last time a lot of people played):

You start with the torch blueprint now. No more poking around in the dark with salvage or repair beam on until you find a torch bp so you can leave t1 anymore.

Schematics are recycleable. Even the things like stairs or food recipes. It's not a ton (10/15/?/? per tier) but I comfortably researched two t2 engines before the t1 zone I spawned in was done and I didn't even get all the nodes.

It might just be where I started, but T1 islands are generally less boring now. Like one was a 10 story or so hospital.

Chests not disappearing when looted has actually been great for knowing better when you're "done" with an island and for going around after understorms. It's made a much larger difference than I thought it would. You can find out most everything you need to know about an island with 1 complete pass now.

Some clothing items are now craftable.

You have to make cloth for sails out of plant fiber from trees which is kind of annoying to do since you can't queue batches.

Revivers have a limited charge now and take more energy based on distance. It can get pretty steep, making board and run operations kind of costly unless you can really keep control of the ship since you'll be able to respawn much less times than the defenders even if you quickly reboard.

Krinkle posted:

Is there a reason to park at a ship builder node thingy if you don't want to modify at all, like does it keep it safe, at all, in any way?
It refills your reviver energy.

You should get a note if your reviver is being damaged at least.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Krinkle posted:

My ship is gone and I can't spawn there and there's no explanation given. I'm warned when lightning strikes a building three islands away I couldn't care about but someone can steal or destroy my ship and I don't get a page about it. I'm sad.
Were you online at the time it was stolen? Like Nickel said, it will give a warning when the ship or shipyard is damaged.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I just parked near a sheer cliff wall so you had to spider man over there and figured "good enough" because I was too lazy to make the node and park it.

Someone could have come and mined my atlas engine until it wasn't seaworthy and then it would have fallen into the abyss, I guess. If it is possible to steal a ship he could have done that too. I was online but will never know what happened.

I saw a man who swung up to my friend's ship and just reclaimed it. Reclaimed all over. A board here, the engine there, he just went absolutely crazy loving it up one tic at a time and there wasn't a thing we could do to stop him. He would swing away and back around the other side too fast to atlas pulse. He would get shot in the face by a lucky shot and respawn twelve seconds later and be back again. There seems to be no way to stop this so if you get mad at someone for shooting your poo poo consider just mining them until they have an embolism as the futility of attempting to build or protect anything becomes crystal clear to them. chaos reigns.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

When I'm just knowledging alone I don't bother making anything fancy. I just make this but without the wings and engines (which are there from when I crossed windwall). I'm standing on the atlas core. Takes like 5 minutes to make a new one with harvesting some trees and using the stacks of metals I keep on my belt from opening up debris. The plank is juust bit enough that it only counts as 1 deck.

Also I found one of those new doohickeys, the one that lets you float in the direction you were going when you activate it. It's the one on my back in the pic. It's pretty cool for grapple climbing up objects since you...just keep going up without gravity pulling you down. You can also jump larger gaps easier. Dunno if I'd want it over a glider, but it's cooler Ithan thought it was going to be and this doesn't rely on flight mechanics. It just turns off gravity and possibly wind resistance for a bit.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 12, 2018

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Is there a place where server maintenance is announced and regularly updated? Because the PvP server's been down an hour and a half at this point and I have no idea how long the wait still will be.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Krinkle posted:

I just parked near a sheer cliff wall so you had to spider man over there and figured "good enough" because I was too lazy to make the node and park it.

Someone could have come and mined my atlas engine until it wasn't seaworthy and then it would have fallen into the abyss, I guess. If it is possible to steal a ship he could have done that too. I was online but will never know what happened.

I saw a man who swung up to my friend's ship and just reclaimed it. Reclaimed all over. A board here, the engine there, he just went absolutely crazy loving it up one tic at a time and there wasn't a thing we could do to stop him. He would swing away and back around the other side too fast to atlas pulse. He would get shot in the face by a lucky shot and respawn twelve seconds later and be back again. There seems to be no way to stop this so if you get mad at someone for shooting your poo poo consider just mining them until they have an embolism as the futility of attempting to build or protect anything becomes crystal clear to them. chaos reigns.

this used to be far, far worse

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Krinkle posted:

Uhh shipyards don't protect ships unless you are docked. Otherwise it only takes ten seconds for an enemy to grab your helm or anything else on the pvp server.

Ofaloaf posted:

Is there a place where server maintenance is announced and regularly updated? Because the PvP server's been down an hour and a half at this point and I have no idea how long the wait still will be.
Regular maintenance lasts about an hour at something like 3 or 4 in the morning west coast.

Here is a tracker https://wa.glitch.me

Thibaw
Jul 21, 2009
Posting for discord. I am Inbrainsane.

Also: There is no region selection for the server. Just Driss and Kubo. So I guess everyone is on Driss (pvp)?

Thibaw fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 13, 2018

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

We caught a guy in our holds trying to mine the barrels in the back while we were docked but we killed him before he succeeded. Does that just destroy everything we deemed worth saving or does it let him in eventually and stop being locked?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Unless things changed it drops a loot bag of some sort after it's destroyed.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Pretty sure you can't loot it until it's broken to a certain point. Also drops bags.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Okay i'm not sure i'm gonna phrase this right.

You are level 1 in engines. You want a level 2. The circle you're researching fills up the more level 1s you get. You get a full circle, you research all four or whatever, you get level 2unlocked. Now level 2's circle is filling up as you research it.

Okay? So the fact that you have a circle, with a ring, that is filling up, means it is building towards something.

I have level 4 exotic wings and I'm fine with them, but the ring is filling up, but there is no level 5 (yet?) What is it building up towards? I have a wing with 80 drat power. I'm good. I want to move on to engines now but I'll always be behind my friends who started with engines, we trade recipes in the machines, so what am I building towards?

What happens when I buy six or eight or whatever level 4 wing schematics?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Krinkle posted:

Okay i'm not sure i'm gonna phrase this right.

You are level 1 in engines. You want a level 2. The circle you're researching fills up the more level 1s you get. You get a full circle, you research all four or whatever, you get level 2unlocked. Now level 2's circle is filling up as you research it.

Okay? So the fact that you have a circle, with a ring, that is filling up, means it is building towards something.

I have level 4 exotic wings and I'm fine with them, but the ring is filling up, but there is no level 5 (yet?) What is it building up towards? I have a wing with 80 drat power. I'm good. I want to move on to engines now but I'll always be behind my friends who started with engines, we trade recipes in the machines, so what am I building towards?

What happens when I buy six or eight or whatever level 4 wing schematics?

You just get more RNG exotic wings. Do another path.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

My friend and I share a ship. I want to play without them and I don't want the ship just hanging there. I drill down into my personal reviver so it stops working, random island teleport and pray. Does this actually work?

e: phew it did. I mean the ship made me take triple time to activate the guns and sails so I figured the five minutes were up but I was still standing on it but then no it's gone. Good.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 14, 2018

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

It will automatically unassign you if you teleport away, but it's probably a good idea so random people can't just assign themselves to the reviver (assuming that's still a thing). Also, it's not supposed to despawn the ship if people are still interacting with it/standing on it, but it's bugged atm.

Also also, I ran across some "challenge room" type things inside islands, and it's doing a lot for keeping them more interesting. Here's one:

The way out with the knowledge node was even harder. Basically tapping any of these was near instant death. The weird symbol walls are non-grappleable.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Kylra posted:

It will automatically unassign you if you teleport away, but it's probably a good idea so random people can't just assign themselves to the reviver (assuming that's still a thing). Also, it's not supposed to despawn the ship if people are still interacting with it/standing on it, but it's bugged atm.

Also also, I ran across some "challenge room" type things inside islands, and it's doing a lot for keeping them more interesting. Here's one:

The way out with the knowledge node was even harder. Basically tapping any of these was near instant death. The weird symbol walls are non-grappleable.

Every single time I see one of those I ignore it because I know its gonna be several deaths, maybe as much as an hour spent finding a way through, and all for the reward of like 2-3 science tubes

gently caress that I'm flying to the next island for the easy money

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

420 Gank Mid posted:

Every single time I see one of those I ignore it because I know its gonna be several deaths, maybe as much as an hour spent finding a way through, and all for the reward of like 2-3 science tubes

gently caress that I'm flying to the next island for the easy money
It took like 3 deaths because I'm a platforming pro and also all the chests were behind these.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Kylra posted:

It took like 3 deaths because I'm a platforming pro and also all the chests were behind these.

I didnt recognize the one you're in right away but some of them are basically 3dimensional Super Meat Boy levels with labyrinthine designs and some are a few danger jumps then a prize so who knows maybe you got lucky

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Also the chests are supposed to get better loot over time now so those ridiculous ones might be worth it? (screenshot if you can confirm this)

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

Hi just started last week because my friend got me into it. I now have tier 4 cannons and was lucky enough to loot a tier 3 well-rounded engine schematic. Yesterday we indiscriminately murdered sailboats, today I helped ram a player's crippled ship back to shore after pirates blew his engines off. The challenge island I found contained lots of schematics and lore worth ~250 knowledge. I also salvaged a fair bit of rare/high quality metals.

e: Here's a map:

Green, Blue, Purple, Orange sectors = Tiers 1, 2, 3, 4, respectively.
Gray, Blue, Orage lines = Wind, Storm, Sand walls
S, K = Saborian, Kioki

Fred Dawes fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 15, 2018

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Anyone have suggestions for key bindings? Anyone use a controller?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Take glider/utility off of spacebar so it's not loving with your jumps and put it on something accessible like MMB.

I use controllers pretty often but wouldn't recommend them for this, you need the precision grappling.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Can you craft guitars or only find them? I literally can't ever spawn on my friends again and they're behind a storm wall and I refuse to ever, ever abandon this guitar.

e: I can craft guitars

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 19, 2018

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

We spent a few hours last night building this and we're pretty happy. Goes through fuel like no one's business though.

The guns can shoot through the armor on the side. Has a couple of pivot guns in the back and one in the front for rays. 3 main guns on each side for broadsides, and one chase gun in the front.

There's also a second helm in the middle of the second deck that you'd have to fly on instruments entirely since it's entirely enclosed in armor which we call the CIC in case the exposed helm gets blasted. It would require instructions from another crew member to actually use though.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 17, 2018

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Digging the PvE server. Was playing some last night, three of us had skyboat projects going on, were actually friendly to each other. Just nice chill skyflying and crafting, it's nice. I don't need to worry about getting ganked in video games, I have toddlers for that.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
At what point should you start even thinking about waltzing through a Sand Wall? I want to see those SWEET badlands up close and personal.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Is it... fast?